Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Kenning posted:

Looking forward to grabbing a few new My Father cigars to try. I really wanna try the Centurion H-2K-CT and the Antiguedad, and maybe the Judge.

I smoked a Nub Cameroon 460 the other day. Had a nice leather and wood chewiness that was pretty fun. I also had a Flor de las Antillas maduro, which again is basically fruitcake with the raisin and plum and a touch of spice.

A buddy of mine gave me a few Macanudo Cafe ascots (4.2 x 32). Not super complex, but surprisingly tasty and fun to smoke. Might keep a few around here or there for friends or to have with coffee.

La Antiguedad was great, I was disappointed in The Judge (I haven't really found a Sumatra wrapper I love, the Ashton VSG didn't do much for me either), and NewFatMike has also made me very interested in trying the My Father Centurion H-2K-CT. I plan on picking up some of the Flor de las Antillas Maduro to try as well since the natural is so good.

I really like the Macanudo Cafe, that and the Oliva Connecticut are probably my two favorite Connecticut cigars that are relatively cheap and readily available. You can usually snag them on sale or on the bid sites for $3-5. I was super into the Perdomo Champagne for a bit but it seems a little too bland now or something. I also rated the Gran Habano Connecticut No. 1 Rothschild and the La Aurora 1495 Connecticut pretty highly as well going back through my little journal.

I ordered a 5 pack of the Aging Room Quattro Nicaragua Maestro, EPC New Wave (drat you NFM), and then some AJ Fernandez samplers to see what Diesel and a couple of the other lines I haven't tried are about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Very excited to have another thread reader try the H-2K-CT. I'll be having one of my last ones today myself. Rough day, so I've gotta treat myself right!

E: seems like most places are out of full boxes at the moment, so that bums me out for a restock.

NewFatMike fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Aug 3, 2020

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

NewFatMike posted:

Very excited to have another thread reader try the H-2K-CT. I'll be having one of my last ones today myself. Rough day, so I've gotta treat myself right!

E: seems like most places are out of full boxes at the moment, so that bums me out for a restock.

Because you're a cigar devil I actually just ordered a box and split it with a few friends off of Famous Smoke, https://www.famous-smoke.com/el-centurion-corona-h-2k-ct-cigars/item-50446?pid=50446. That link is the corona but they also have it in toro. Use the code CATS on check out for an additional 17% off (any orders over $50) which basically covers the taxes + shipping and a little extra.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Oooh thank you! I had found some at Mike's Cigars, but I've never ordered from them before. I emailed Fox to ask if they have more on the way.

The corona is my preferred vitola because it's a biggun' on that line.

This Toro that's sat for a few weeks is delectable. And the standard Centurions are really great, too. If you're a fan of the cereal/wheat profile from Don Pepin Garcia Blue line, you'll be in for a treat.

Very lucky and glad to share in this hobby with y'all ♥️

E: getting to the very end on this, and I'm so glad it's a mainstay of the humidor. Chocolate, wheat, spice. What a delight!

NewFatMike fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Aug 3, 2020

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

NewFatMike posted:

The corona is my preferred vitola because it's a biggun' on that line.

And the standard Centurions are really great, too. If you're a fan of the cereal/wheat profile from Don Pepin Garcia Blue line, you'll be in for a treat.

Corona is quickly becoming my favorite vitola overall with the number of cigars that I've been blowing through. Relatively smaller sizes make it easier to justify smoking 2 cigars a day. I haven't tried the standard Centurion or Don Pepin Garcia Blue yet but they're both on the list now. I seem to go through brand phases in my sampler purchasing, I started with Oliva and Rocky Patel, then Perdomo, next I did Gran Habano and Alec Bradley, then La Aurora, and most recently I'm sort of on an AJ Fernandez spree. It's all mostly the lower end stuff I can find in cheap samplers or low priced 5 packs. The nicer stuff I tend to buy a 5 pack if I can find it cheap or I'll grab singles from my local store.

I smoked a Gran Habano Triple which I guess is identical to the Gran Habano 3 Siglos/SLS but re-branded after a trademark dispute. It was really good. It had an oddly similar taste profile to the Alec and Bradley Gatekeeper I smoked earlier, cedar, sweet tobacco, both with some pepper. It threw me for a bit of a loop honestly.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
So, silly question, because I only smoke twice a week and don’t know much.

Every couple weeks I buy four cigars from my local shop and store them in a small cigar box with one of those humidifier packs.

Should I remove them from their cellophane wrapping before storing them?

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

Woo WOO, Look a Parrot...
LOOK AT IT!
In my experience it makes no difference.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Re: Cellophane; I'm a particular fan of keeping it on. I've had a few run-ins with tobacco mites, and it's such a loving hassle. A few sticks at a time, no big loss but I lost several decade old sticks from one incident. If it doesn't come with cellophane, don't sweat it. If it does, I keep it on. It doesn't really impact individual humidification.

EP Carillo New Wave Stellas came in, as did the Curivari Buenaventura Picadores! To rationalize my impatience Since it's been pretty muggy in Chicago and they came from PA, which is also muggy in the summertime, I have risked smoking one of the Picadores right off the truck (and will probably do the same with one of the Stellas tonight).

I am very, very pleased. A lot of folks tend to write off mixed filler smokes as "floor sweepings" and that's the kind of self-fellating attitude that I really hate seeing in any hobby. Mixed fillers/Picadores/Cuban Sandwiches, whatever you call them, tend to smoke a bit faster. They're generally less complex than a long filler cigar (although in the price brackets you tend to find mixed fillers, complexity is not the name of the game). I think mixed fillers also occupy a philosophically important niche in any brand: how do you regard your customers who might be the most financially challenged? Strange times we're living in, and money is harder to come by. But I digress.

I'm going to let these sit a week or two (or reorder them so I have enough that will actually make it) before doing a full review, but I fully find these Worth Smoking™ should you find yourself pulling them straight out of the box and putting them right into your mouth. It's a great entree to this brand I don't really know anything about and now I REALLY want to try more. Other picadores Worth Smoking™ are:
  • Tatuaje Series P
  • (Habano) Quintero y Hermano Nacionales
  • (Habano) Jose L. Piedra Cazadores
  • Drew Estate Factory Smokes Maduro (not worth a full box imo, but worth checking out)

And one of the best parts is that since they're kind of one trick ponies and super cheap, you don't have to feel bad about wasting money if you find yourself a little over-nicotined :shepspends:

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
So I just burned the roof of my mouth with a frozen pizza and I think this is the culprit of my weird cigar issues I was experiencing. I did it mid cigar because I couldn’t wait to eat some pizza until I was finished and I’m getting the same weird issue but more moderately.

Also I don’t know what a cazadore is but I’m sure I’ll buy some because you’re the cigar devil NFM (and I have no will power). It looks like it’s a mix of a vitola and a quality of cigar? Mixed filler but also 6x44 one website I was reading said?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Cazadores as far as I know are just a vitola - I believe Cuban Romeo y Julieta have one as well.

They're just long Coronas, I think. Maybe shorter than a Lonsdale or Churchill?

Also I couldn't resist one of those EP Carrillo New Wave Connecticut Stellas. Promising now, but I think they're really going to kick rear end in a week or two.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Whoops I meant picadores but then I wrote and googled the wrong thing. My brain is mush today.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Had a Nub Habano 560 tonight. Was much mellower and sweeter than the 460 I had a few weeks ago. I dunno if that's because that one was drier (since my buddy had just brought it over), or if it's a difference in vitola. Still a very nice smoke, hung out for quite a while and I really enjoyed it.

Got a big order from Cigar Bid coming on Monday. Gonna get some CAO Flathead Carbs, some Perdomo Champagne Puritos, and a few of our favorite Nubs. Very excited about it.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Lyon posted:

Whoops I meant picadores but then I wrote and googled the wrong thing. My brain is mush today.

All good, yeah they're mixed short and long filler. Generally not going to have the complexity of long filler cigars, but there's plenty of good ones!

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Kenning posted:

Got a big order from Cigar Bid coming on Monday. Gonna get some CAO Flathead Carbs, some Perdomo Champagne Puritos, and a few of our favorite Nubs. Very excited about it.

I too have a big CI order coming + the box of El Centurion H-2K-CT I’m splitting. I make poor financial decisions.

Man O’ War sampler, Diesel sampler, EPC New Wave 5 pack, PDR sampler, Don Pepin Garcia Black 5 pack, AJ Fernandez sampler (only one repeat on previous ones), Aging Room Quattro Nicaragua 5 pack, Zino Platinum 5 pack, EPC Seleccion Oscuro 5 pack, and the aforementioned El Centurions.

Edit: Forgot I smoked a Sucker Punch (Punch exclusive for Famous Smoke) earlier in the day. It was a pretty good Connecticut, strong.

I smoked a CAO MX2 and it was really good, sort of what I hoped the Camacho Triple Maduro would have been.

Edit: I found the (Ecuadorian) Sumatra cigar I was looking for. Smoking the La Aurora Preferidos Emerald and it is fantastic. I bid on it on CigarBid on a whim and won it on for $4.50 which seems low compared to prices I’m seeing. If I can find similar deals I might buy up a bunch of these.

I’m also reading the old thread because I don’t want to constantly post in here and it’s funny to see Ophidian starting out fairly fresh ten years ago. I feel like he’s in slightly deeper than I am right now but a decade in the past.

Lyon fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Aug 6, 2020

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Had a Rocky Patel The Edge maduro torpedo last night. It was fine. Really well constructed and smoked great, but the flavor seemed pretty mild and indistinct. Had a few moments of sort of marshmallow sweetness, but otherwise mostly meh. Oh well.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Kenning posted:

Had a Rocky Patel The Edge maduro torpedo last night. It was fine. Really well constructed and smoked great, but the flavor seemed pretty mild and indistinct. Had a few moments of sort of marshmallow sweetness, but otherwise mostly meh. Oh well.

I bought a sampler of five different RP The Edge variants and I’ve found them all to fine but never had a wow moment with them.

I smoked a RoMa Craft EC Intemperance XIII today and it was a phenomenal cigar. It is one of the best Connecticut cigars I’ve smoked. Cream, cedar, some hay type flavors perhaps, and a little tobacco sweetness. At first I was a bit underwhelmed but as the flavors intensified I didn’t want to put it down. It wasn’t complex but just a really good cigar, burn and draw were more or less perfect as well. Smoked it to the tiniest little nub I could manage.

My box of El Centurion H-2K-CT should arrive today and I’ll probably try smoking one tonight because I’m impatient and make poor decisions.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Hell yeah poor decisions crew! :hfive:

I'm having another EP Carrillo New Wave Connecticut Stella. Giving them an off day has helped, and I'm looking forward to seeing if they last long enough to really improve.

Even if they don't, this is really yummy. I haven't had many Connecticut wrapped smokes prior to this summer, but I think I'm getting what the flavor is based on how this overlaps with the H-2K-CT Centurions.

They're mild-medium, very smooth. There's a perfume flavor and occasionally this super rich chocolate that lasts for a puff or two before it disappears. Cream builds through the smoke, so the complexity of pricier smokes is there.

It likes slow draws, especially if you're going back-to-back on puffs like I have been the last few days.

I'm really pleased. A box of 20 is right at $80, which is pretty bananas for a full size long filler (5-1/8" x 44 IIRC). A lot of stuff in this price range comes in 50 cabs to hit $4/stick, which can still be tough to swallow.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Where did everyone go? I need content! I’m almost to the end of 2010 in the old thread so I guess I still have a good backlog...

Yesterday I smoked a AJ Fernandez Shadow King (Famous Smoke exclusive) and it was decent. I followed it up with a late night Jaime Garcia Reserva Especial that was pretty tasty, a lot of espresso flavor.

I am currently smoking a Villiger Connecticut Kreme which certainly lives up to its name. Pretty much all sweet cream, it’s going pretty well with black coffee, I’m into the last third now and getting some nice tobacco flavor.

The El Centurion H-2K-CT showed up super late (for mail delivery) and I was already smoking the Shadow King so I held off and will smoke one this afternoon with my buddy who I split the box with. My big CigarBid order comes in tomorrow and I’m realizing I don’t really have the space for it so I might need to order another Tupperware.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Are any of the noncuban versions of Cuban brands worth smoking? I had a Montecristo Platinum toro that was alright but not worth what they charge, and a Montecristo tiny stick with their regular label I got as a freebie and it was pretty drat uninspiring.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I generally avoid the General versions of Habanos, but I'll report on ones that stick out:

The Punch London Club is a nice, inexpensive smoke. Punch Signature and the special limited releases (Egg Roll and Chop Suey) have also been very good.

The ROMEO series from Romeo y Julieta have also treated me well. I don't recall the regular one, but the 505 and Añejo are excellent for spicy and rich flavors, respectively. The San Andres is also good.

Don't bother with the General Cigar Cohibas.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

NewFatMike posted:

Hell yeah poor decisions crew! :hfive:

I'm having another EP Carrillo New Wave Connecticut Stella. Giving them an off day has helped, and I'm looking forward to seeing if they last long enough to really improve.

Even if they don't, this is really yummy. I haven't had many Connecticut wrapped smokes prior to this summer, but I think I'm getting what the flavor is based on how this overlaps with the H-2K-CT Centurions.

They're mild-medium, very smooth. There's a perfume flavor and occasionally this super rich chocolate that lasts for a puff or two before it disappears. Cream builds through the smoke, so the complexity of pricier smokes is there.

It likes slow draws, especially if you're going back-to-back on puffs like I have been the last few days.

I'm really pleased. A box of 20 is right at $80, which is pretty bananas for a full size long filler (5-1/8" x 44 IIRC). A lot of stuff in this price range comes in 50 cabs to hit $4/stick, which can still be tough to swallow.

Man, those sound really good, gonna put those on the list to try out next time I make an order.

Smoked a Nub Maduro last night. Easily the least satisfying of the Nubs I've tried. Pretty indistinct flavors, about midway through there was lots of espresso, but not all that much of interest to keep me excited. Felt pretty heavy also, definitely heavier than I think the flavor justified. Of the Nubs I've tried so far, I think it goes Habano > Connecticut > Cain = Cameroon > Maduro. I still need to try the double maduro, my friend said he enjoyed that one better than the regular maduro. I've got both Habano and Connecticut Nubs coming on Monday, which I'm excited about.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Smoked an El Centurion H-2K-CT and it was great. Excited to throw the other nine in the humidor and see how they go over the next however long I can hold onto them. Curious to see if they get better after they’ve sat for a week or two.

I’m now smoking an Oliva Serie G which is sort of a nice sweet follow up.

I brought some cigars to a buddy’s house to try and free up some space for my CigarBid shipment that’s arriving tomorrow.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Very nice!

Trying a new vitola of the San Cristobal Revelation, this time the Mystic (corona).

We had been smoking the Prophet size (Robusto) and that was stupendous, but the siren song of the noble corona can't go ignored forever.

I'm a little peeved that there's a Habanos meetup this weekend and I'm not going out to that in all this. I need this pandemic to be loving over with.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Final report and to try and overtake NFM as the #1 poster.

El Centurion H-2K-CT was dope even without having any time in a humidor and smoking it straight off the truck. Excited to throw the remainder into a humidor and see how they develop. The Oliva Serie G was as usual a very solid smoke. The standout surprise of the night for me was the Perdomo Champagne Noir. I had smoked one of these before and was not overly impressed. It may have been the time in the humidor, a previously bad stick, my palate changing, the company I was with tonight, or any number of reasons but this one was super good and the burn and construction was impeccable. I love the aftertaste of a maduro after a good night.

I had to take a picture of the ash which I don't think I've ever done before and feels kind of dopey but I'm sharing it anyway. This was a robusto and that ash was solid, it didn't fall off even after I placed it in an empty plastic cup as I was cleaning up (I will admit to being a little more careful than I normally would have been).

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Holy poo poo that's an incredible ash. Very impressive. I'll have to try the Perdomo Champagne Noir, since I liked the regular Champagne well enough and it was certainly nicely constructed.

Had a regular old Flor de las Antillas tonight and man, there's a reason that's my favorite smoke. Tonight I got a lot more of the hay and barnyard flavors and it was really nice. Still plenty spicy, especially up front, but there was also plenty of cream and the aforementioned fresh hay. A really impeccable cigar, I smoked it down to a nub about as small as Lyon's, although without the stunning ash.

I can't wait to get a box of the H-2K-CTs. They sound really good.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I smoked the last of the "good" cigars I had in my little tuperdor lunchbox last night. A Montecristo No 2. I had a present of three cigars from my parent's holiday (to a place with affordable cigars.) A RyJ short churchill, which was the best of them, the Monte No 2 I had last night, and an obviously fake (both band and flavour/taste) Cohiba Robusto. I don't think the No 2 was fake, it had enough Cuban-cigar-flavour going for it, but it was a pretty bad smoke. It just didn't burn well/evenly, tar gooped it up, and the draw was poor. My hit rate on those foreign bought cigars is 0/3, at best 0.5/3. I know the idea that Cuba sends different quality cigars to different markets shouldn't be true, but my hit rate of cigars coming from non-official sellers (either from Spanish islands or Germany) compared to officially sanctioned resellers from Hunters and Frankau is alarming. Apart from one bad smoke all the H&F resellers cigars I've had have been decent, I'd say at least half of the non-official sellers cigars have been poor (while the NCs have been fine.) It's ridiculous, the whole buying thing feels like a gamble if I'm saving on price, which ends up costing me more in bad smokes.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I’m from the US and know nothing about Cubans so unfortunately I won’t be of any help Mrenda.

I smoked an EPC New Waves Reserva and it was really good but I felt like there was a different flavor profile to this cigar compared to a standard Connecticut. I don’t know how to describe it exactly but it was very good. It almost felt like a blonde stout does, I was surprised by the characteristics when I tasted it. It was thick and chewy with some tobacco oomf but there was a sweetness that balanced it out.

I just got in a stupid number of cigars but then I saw a lot of DPG lines that were close to closing on CigarAuctioneer without any bids so I continue to be an idiot.
  • El Centurion Toro Grande 5 pack (original)
  • Cabaiguan Petite Cabaiguan 5 pack
  • La Aroma De Cuba Edicion Especial Robusto 5 pack
  • San Cristobal Revelation Mystic 5 pack

I also grabbed a RoMa Craft Intemperance EC XVIII petite corona 5 pack and a Best of Miami sampler with a bunch of La Aurora. Everything was $5 or less a cigar except the El Centurion which was $5.50/per so I’ve convinced myself it was worth it. I didn’t have space for my last order so this won’t help. Looks like I'm gonna be ordering some more Tupperware. I seriously need an adult to supervise me.

Lyon fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Aug 9, 2020

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Ooh nice order! I haven't tried that EPC Reserva, just the standard. Doesn't sound too far from the regular, so I'll try to remember to pick some up.

I'm really excited to try more Curivari stuff. These picadores have really sold me on trying the stuff further up the line. They're really well balanced in a way I'm having trouble describing with some really tasty spice. I have gotten strong coffee and toffee, which is fun.

Definitely have to re-up my Centurions before then, though!

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
popped another one of those pichardo san andres tonight after a work get together, and i'm still impressed. a solid profile with a perfect draw straight out of a 1950s movie.

in other news i've started putting together a tupperdor so i can start picking up some boxes of sticks i enjoy. just waiting on the container to be delivered, otherwise i have my hydrometer calibrated and my cedar trays waiting to be paired with the boveda packs. probably going to let them sit together after washing the sistema container with baking soda and letting it dry in the open for a bit. i used to have a cheap-ish humidor for a bit, but it stopped holding a decent humidity prety quickly. feel like the tupperdor will do me right.

i'm still enjoy the pipe tobacco i've been rocking but sometimes i like the super earthy taste of a decent cigar, and i always hate having to go any buy one at a time.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Lyon posted:

I just got in a stupid number of cigars but then I saw a lot of DPG lines that were close to closing on CigarAuctioneer without any bids so I continue to be an idiot.
  • El Centurion Toro Grande 5 pack (original)
  • Cabaiguan Petite Cabaiguan 5 pack
  • La Aroma De Cuba Edicion Especial Robusto 5 pack
  • San Cristobal Revelation Mystic 5 pack

I also grabbed a RoMa Craft Intemperance EC XVIII petite corona 5 pack and a Best of Miami sampler with a bunch of La Aurora. Everything was $5 or less a cigar except the El Centurion which was $5.50/per so I’ve convinced myself it was worth it. I didn’t have space for my last order so this won’t help. Looks like I'm gonna be ordering some more Tupperware. I seriously need an adult to supervise me.

Lol I just did the same thing today. I'm still waiting on my last order (coming Monday) but today I sniped a couple things at excellent prices. I blame NewFatMike.

NewFatMike posted:

I got a 20 box of these for $55.50, which I feel pretty pleased with. I also got 10 Montecristo White 5 x 52, and 5 Ave Maria La Reconquista for like $3.50/per, which is a ridiculous price given the MSRP. No coffin boxes but who cares.

I'm pretty sure that all of these will fit in my humidor, but I guess we're going to have to see.

Smoked my second San Lotano Oval from the AJ Fernandez box press perfecto sampler. More meaty and peppery to start with than I remember the last one being, but it transitioned nicely into a slight sweetness with some warm spices, like I remember. Honestly I really enjoyed everything from that sampler, and CigarBid has had it lately on FreeFall, I think you can get it for like $65.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

NewFatMike posted:

Ooh nice order! I haven't tried that EPC Reserva, just the standard. Doesn't sound too far from the regular, so I'll try to remember to pick some up.

I'm really excited to try more Curivari stuff. These picadores have really sold me on trying the stuff further up the line. They're really well balanced in a way I'm having trouble describing with some really tasty spice. I have gotten strong coffee and toffee, which is fun.

Definitely have to re-up my Centurions before then, though!

I bid on a 5 pack of EPC New Wave so I can compare them. I got the Reserva 5 pack off CigarBid for $12 and it’s a tasty cigar just not what I expected for a Connecticut. I also just added the DPG Blue which I haven’t had yet.

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

popped another one of those pichardo san andres tonight after a work get together, and i'm still impressed. a solid profile with a perfect draw straight out of a 1950s movie.

in other news i've started putting together a tupperdor so i can start picking up some boxes of sticks i enjoy. just waiting on the container to be delivered, otherwise i have my hydrometer calibrated and my cedar trays waiting to be paired with the boveda packs. probably going to let them sit together after washing the sistema container with baking soda and letting it dry in the open for a bit. i used to have a cheap-ish humidor for a bit, but it stopped holding a decent humidity prety quickly. feel like the tupperdor will do me right.

i'm still enjoy the pipe tobacco i've been rocking but sometimes i like the super earthy taste of a decent cigar, and i always hate having to go any buy one at a time.

I started with one Sistema, I just ordered numbers four and five. I also tend to go overboard when I jump into a hobby so you may escape this fate. I buy most things in pairs so I have one Tupperware full of all the cigars I haven’t tried, one filled with the seconds, and a third that was all Oliva, Perdomo, and Rocky Patel. The seconds box is full and I bought a bunch of 5 packs so I’m going to have to reconsider this approach. Maybe just a second seconds box and a “good” cigar box.

Kenning posted:

Lol I just did the same thing today. I'm still waiting on my last order (coming Monday) but today I sniped a couple things at excellent prices. I blame NewFatMike.

I got a 20 box of these for $55.50, which I feel pretty pleased with. I also got 10 Montecristo White 5 x 52, and 5 Ave Maria La Reconquista for like $3.50/per, which is a ridiculous price given the MSRP. No coffin boxes but who cares.

I'm pretty sure that all of these will fit in my humidor, but I guess we're going to have to see.

Smoked my second San Lotano Oval from the AJ Fernandez box press perfecto sampler. More meaty and peppery to start with than I remember the last one being, but it transitioned nicely into a slight sweetness with some warm spices, like I remember. Honestly I really enjoyed everything from that sampler, and CigarBid has had it lately on FreeFall, I think you can get it for like $65.

NFM is the cigar devil. I’m not unconvinced that he works for My Father doing guerrilla marketing on obscure forums :).

Let me know what you think of the Montecristo White. I have one more to smoke, I think my first one was too dry.

I just got a bunch of AJF samplers so I’ll have to check what the crossover is between them and the box press perfecto sampler. This week I’m ordering off of CigarAuctioneer though, the one rule I’ve stuck to is that I will only pay one shipping fee in the same week because I’m clearly a shrewd and wise manager of my finances.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Lyon posted:

NFM is the cigar devil. I’m not unconvinced that he works for My Father doing guerrilla marketing on obscure forums :).

That would be pretty fun! I train folks on how to use SOLIDWORKS, and that's an extremely fun and good job since my hobby is making stuff and I volunteer to train folks on how to use CNC machines :kimchi:

Honestly, this thread is great and I love sharing my finds. There are a bunch of Not Chill™️ cigar forums or places that try to make entire lifestyles around cigars and this weird version of masculinity attached to it. The industry seems to try to promote that image, too.

So uhhh yeah I'm just 'gized and y'all are cool. Glad to be the thread devil 😹

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
I smoked an Arturo Fuente Anejo #60 this weekend and it was great - hits a few of those Opus X notes but not quite as rich. Delicious stick.

Fox Cigar keeps emailing these cool deals and I keep throwing money at them - got a kit with two Opus X, a 858 Rosado, and a Don Carlos Shark and Robusto on the way, and I threw in a 3 pack of My Father Flor de las Antilles for some reason. I haven't tried that blend yet, but I've not cared for any My Father cigar I've tried and I want to figure out what I'm missing. Hopefully this is the one that makes it click, and if not my buddy loves their cigars so I'll have something he can smoke.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Maybe a dumb question but how hard is the Opus X to find? Is it worth snagging that sampler or a couple of these from Fox Cigar while they’re in stock?

Edit: I just got back from a hike and am smoking a La Aroma de Cuba and holy moly what a cigar.

Lyon fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Aug 9, 2020

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

Woo WOO, Look a Parrot...
LOOK AT IT!
I’ve never found the opus x to be worth the price of admission. The Anejos that come out once a year we’re always really nice but I wouldn’t go out of my way to buy a ton of them.

I feel you get way more bang for your buck with the padron 64/26 and the Ashton VSG/ESG line.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Opus X of any variety is easier to get from a B&M than online. They're very good and worth smoking, but I don't know about keeping them on hand by the box or anything. Everyone's budget is different, mine just flat out wouldn't afford them even if I loved them.

Even though I'm also a daily cigar smoker, I really enjoy having some special finds on hand for special occasions. I've got my last AF Añejo Shark for just such an occasion this weekend.

Definitely check it out if it sounds up your alley. Hype is hype, and that's especially true in cigars.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Okay for $30/cigar on CigarFox I'll hold off and see what pops up at my local B&M in the future perhaps. I'd like to try the Opus X and Anejo at some point but I also have entirely too many cigars to smoke through already. I'm trying to come up with a new organizational methodology so I'll use my cigar energy to focus on that.

I noticed in the old thread people posted good deals a lot which would probably be bad for me financially but might be useful. Has anyone ever considered setting up a cigar discord? It might kill the already slow thread but man I need to word vomit everywhere.

Lyon fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Aug 9, 2020

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Lyon posted:

Okay for $30/cigar on CigarFox I'll hold off and see what pops up at my local B&M in the future perhaps. I'd like to try the Opus X and Anejo at some point but I also have entirely too many cigars to smoke through already. I'm trying to come up with a new organizational methodology so I'll use my cigar energy to focus on that.

I noticed in the old thread people posted good deals a lot which would probably be bad for me financially but might be useful. Has anyone ever considered setting up a cigar discord? It might kill the already slow thread but man I need to word vomit everywhere.

Word vomit here! I think there's like maybe 15 active posters in this thread, I think it will die if half the discussion moves off site. Also if you do create this, I'm going to poo poo pictures of whatever I happen to be smoking that week and then ignore it until the next time I smoke a cigar.

I picked up a La Aroma de Cuba Mi Amor and a Arturo Fuente Hemingway Signature from a local spot. I'm excited to try them.

I greatly enjoyed the Padron 1964/1926's I have smoked, but the Opus X and AF Anejo are much more interesting flavorwise to me - they almost have sort of a liqueur note to them that I just have a hard time putting my finger on - almost a tobacco mixed with a brandy based liqueur? I honestly think that they have a taste I can remember but can't describe is part of allure - the Padron's are fantastic but easily described with the rich chocolate (ranging from milk to dark), espresso, with gentle pepper.

I'll have to try the Ashton ESG/VSG lines - I've had the Ashton Classic and Ashton Cabinet, and they were enjoyable, but I'm just not super into conneticut shade wrappers apparently.

edit: I think I'm a weird case - I smoke two cigars a week generally, and at least one of those is while I'm taking a walk, meaning I can't enjoy it with an adult beverage - so I like to smoke something that's an experience when I do get to sit down with a drink. Unfortunately, my aparment is no smoking anywhere on premises, even the balcony. I'd be buying much, much cheaper stuff if this was an every day thing, but when I do get to sit down at a friend's place and burn one down it's really nice to smoke some crazy poo poo.

Dramatika fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Aug 10, 2020

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
I primarily smoke pipes and aromatics from the fall through the spring, and occassionally dip into cigars in the summer.

Right now I'm still trying to figure out cigarwise what I like.

(Drugstore Dutch Masters ruined cigars for me for a good thirty plus years)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I have some more bids out. My buddy wanted to split another box so I suggested the Oliva Serie V No. 4 (petite corona), I bid on a 5 pack of Serie V Lanceros for myself, and a 5 pack of the La Aroma de Cuba Rothschild because I smoked one today and it was delicious.

Still trying to workout my organization system, how do you guys curate your cigars? I think I’m going to keep it mostly the same but do two boxes for cigars I’ve tried before/are aging, one box for cigars I haven’t tried yet, one box for low to medium regulars, and one box for the nicer stuff maybe.

I also ordered cedar trays off amazon to put in the boxes that don’t have them, should I just dunk them in distilled water for a minute and let them dry?