Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
SMARTY is good too, 30gb/month for a tenner with no contract

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

on a similar note, anyone know a good place to get refurbed phones? been looking at the samsung site, giffgaff, and finally... CEX.... but not sure where anywhere stands out for it

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
EE finally made it so if you want to upgrade a SIM-only plan you have to actually call them instead of use the website, the fuckers

Before I was happy checking it out when I got early upgrade every few months or so and getting myself a way better one for no fee

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
EE is absolute shite

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
They’re great where I am. By far the fastest provider I’ve tried

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

on a similar note, anyone know a good place to get refurbed phones? been looking at the samsung site, giffgaff, and finally... CEX.... but not sure where anywhere stands out for it

music magpie

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

ta, site looks good. interestingly it's more expensive for Good condition phones than Very Good; i assume it's a sex thing

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

I've always just used good reviewed sellers on eBay for refurbs. Cex is a massive markup with little savings compared to buying new

Make sure you get guarantee and payment protection

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
What even are the "good phones"(tm) these days?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Also on giffgaff, and I approve

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

goatface posted:

What even are the "good phones"(tm) these days?

I like Sony phones. Although my current one is starting to wig out a bit

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i have a samsung s7 and seek a samsung s10, because i wish to be killed by an exploding battery

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Huawei's are good for what they cost

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I had sony phones for the longest time but when it came time to get a new phone last go around I didnt like any of the ones they had at the time so I went with a galaxy s8 and it's been a good phone so far

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

ThomasPaine posted:

Huawei's are good for what they cost

Yeah I'm on one, my first android too and I like it. Battery is amazing, good screen, camera.

BUT I believe any new 2020 Huaweis do not have Google apps or support, so no play store, purchase history, etc. Because :trumppop:

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

I also have this phone. i dont think I'll ever stump up the cash for a flagship phone while it's current-gen, the upgrades are just too incremental

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

Melissa McCarthyism posted:

giffgaff it is thanks thread people

Giffgaff are expensive on PAYG - I was with them for years until I got the Three home broadband and realised that GiffGaff charge literally 5 times what they do for a PAYG SIM.
(mins - 15p vs 3p, txt 5p vs 2p and data 5p vs 1p per Mb)

Also, nth'ing Huawei - I got a PSmart (upgraded P10) and although it's two generations behind current, it's great for everything I want - and is old enough to be pre-ban, so still has Google support.

Renfield fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Aug 8, 2020

Melissa McCarthyism
Jan 18, 2007

p30 pro or galaxy s10+ for me, had the s7 edge and really liked it

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Ratjaculation posted:

Yeah I'm on one, my first android too and I like it. Battery is amazing, good screen, camera.

BUT I believe any new 2020 Huaweis do not have Google apps or support, so no play store, purchase history, etc. Because :trumppop:

I thought that was only in the states? Google works fine on my Mate 20. Has this changed in the newer ones here in the UK too?

Natalie Fartman
Apr 5, 2013

I selflessly rescued an abandoned cat during the COVID-19 Pandemic :3:

Moola posted:

EE is absolute shite

I was ready to buy a phone on contract and walk out of our local shop after extensive deliberation over handsets if they gave me a deal that matched Three and the sales pitch was "we're better than them which is why we're more expensive"

Nah mate, you're just more expensive.

Also I have a P20 pro and it's ok but I wish I'd gone for a Samsung S9. I got my new phone to replace my US handset just before the whole Huawei storm started so I'm a bit miffed this phone is worthless now.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Galewolf posted:

I'm cooking garlic, cumin, red pepper flake and yoghurt marinated chicken shish kebab, chargrilled aubergine paste and yoghurt and spicy tomato&pickled red pepper mezze. Anyone hungry?
all the best recipes have cumin

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

if you are cheap the oneplus 7s is still available and is a good phone

i am still using a 6 and its still pretty good

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

ThomasPaine posted:

I thought that was only in the states? Google works fine on my Mate 20. Has this changed in the newer ones here in the UK too?

Google are a US company and banned from doing business with Huawei. They (Huawei) are still using android, as it's open source- but, like Amazon tablets (and phones... remember those!) don't use Google services like the store etc.
But it wasn't made retroactive, so my P-Smart (And Fartman's P20) still work as well.

Renfield fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Aug 8, 2020

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Natalie Fartman posted:

I was ready to buy a phone on contract and walk out of our local shop after extensive deliberation over handsets if they gave me a deal that matched Three and the sales pitch was "we're better than them which is why we're more expensive"

Nah mate, you're just more expensive.

Also I have a P20 pro and it's ok but I wish I'd gone for a Samsung S9. I got my new phone to replace my US handset just before the whole Huawei storm started so I'm a bit miffed this phone is worthless now.

Their staff in store are always such cocky assholes I can't stand em

Customer support blows also

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Bobby Deluxe posted:

all the best recipes have cumin

:dudsmile:

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
mobilephonesdirect.co.uk has excellent deals for all sorts of phones old and new on contract for much less than the companies themselves sell them for

I just got a new s20 with 90GB data and unlimited everything else for £37 a month

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

kecske posted:

I also have this phone. i dont think I'll ever stump up the cash for a flagship phone while it's current-gen, the upgrades are just too incremental

Yeah we bought our S8s just when the S9 came out and got pretty good deals for them

Natalie Fartman
Apr 5, 2013

I went with three because their roaming policy is excellent and I used my phone in the US until the end of my contract no problem before switching to a US phone. I was thinking about regular trips to the US were going to be a thing, turns out I don't fuckin need that anymore. I still like them though.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

hemale in pain posted:

Hmm I just went past a really dead cat. Looks like it got ran over by a truck, just gore and bits, should I bother trying to clean it up? Kinda feel bad if the owner or some kids find it

And this is why my little fleabag STAYS INSIDE

Natalie Fartman
Apr 5, 2013

You say that to most brits and they look at you in horror. Cats should be able to frolick in the grass, climb trees, eat birds, get overfed by neighbours and run over outside their house

... Tuna is an indoor cat

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

we nearly owned a ragdoll cat, they are the best cats because they are chill to the point of having zero survival instinct, plus they are loving beautiful

unfortunately he was stressing out the guinea pigs, who we had first and you need to brush them and hoover the floors every day

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Genuine question, how do people use 90gb of data a month?

Even when I heavily use mine, I struggle to justify a 6gb bundle.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

when you use your phone as your broadband connection, i think

that's not sarcasm, that's a genuine possibility for a lot of people in areas with decent coverage. if i had a 5G coronaphone i might consider it myself

e: aren't ragdoll cats those ones that flop all over the place

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008
Don't have a computer, and use the phone to stream everything.

I'm on 3's 4/5G home broadband, and use more than that even when I'm not downloading 90Gb of Final Fantasy

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Oh right, yeah didn't think of that. Streaming 4K 120fps fetching videos to you telly must eat data

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

e: aren't ragdoll cats those ones that flop all over the place
qwop cat

the point i forgot to type out is that because they have no survival instincts they are not outdoor cats and should not be let out at all

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

feedmegin posted:

And this is why my little fleabag STAYS INSIDE

Natalie Fartman posted:

You say that to most brits and they look at you in horror. Cats should be able to frolick in the grass, climb trees, eat birds, get overfed by neighbours and run over outside their house

My cats are also indoor cats

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

Natalie Fartman posted:

Speaking of Tuna,

I couldn't reach to a vet but some pet owners certainly found that price tag excessive (though, most of them are Turkish so couple of people also complained about vet prices in here).

Not helpful at all, I know. Sorry about that.:smith:

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
I got thai on the way. You know when theres 50% off on deliveroo and you think you're gonna eat on the cheap but in reality you just order loads of starters and end up with the same bill, did that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natalie Fartman
Apr 5, 2013

I also let her have supervised grass munching time and she's chill and doesn't really go immediately out of the area outside my back door