Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

I want to touch my Rosalina-sama all over~

<3<3<3

AFashionableHat posted:

Not even Namco is stupid enough to think that, after the absolute dumbass shitshow that has been Akuma/Eliza/Geese in Tekken 7, that their playerbase wants TxSF.

I hope.

I think TxSF is the next Tekken project, and will essentially replace Tekken Tag. But I'm very stupid, so idk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

JesusLovesRonwell posted:

I think TxSF is the next Tekken project, and will essentially replace Tekken Tag. But I'm very stupid, so idk.

I genuinely think that would kill the franchise.

NOBODY wants bars. People play Akuma in T7 because they want to win. Everybody absolutely hates it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Barudak posted:

Ken vs A Guy Wearing Louis Vuitton

Lightning?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Tekken vs SF isn't happening because individual guest characters in regular games are a better investment.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Tekken vs SF isn't happening because individual guest characters in regular games are a better investment.

I honestly think they could just do a season with SF guests and that might placate people who want TxSF. Maybe pick the ones without fireballs, though.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

chumbler posted:

I honestly think they could just do a season with SF guests and that might placate people who want TxSF. Maybe pick the ones without fireballs, though.

The fireballs aren't what make Akuma broken and Geese inescapably high-tier. The movement that's unlike anything else in Tekken is, and without that you might as well not have the characters.

The people who want TxSF are maniacs. We have seen what that game looks like. It bad.

EDIT: for more, the latest Wavedash: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rqFHk1RNHQ

tracecomplete fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Aug 8, 2020

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
Akuma was so fun in t7 it’s a shame we won’t get to see a what else they could have done with other sf characters.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

The Ol Spicy Keychain posted:

Akuma was so fun in t7 it’s a shame we won’t get to see a what else they could have done with other sf characters.

Akuma is fun for Akuma players. I say "is", not "was", because I still play and I still run tournaments, and Akuma is as bad as Leroy and Fakhumram, and in some ways worse, for both playing against and watching.

Geese is a little better, mostly because he doesn't have Demon Flip and hadoken > reppuken, but he's still just extremely Not Tekken.

tracecomplete fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Aug 8, 2020

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

OH poo poo RIVAL SCHOOLS AKIRA

I've cracked the code and figured out what Ono was trying to do:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

That is a woman and she is no longer their spokesmodel.

I also have to obfuscate the brand because I think Im gonna unironically propose this to Capcom now that I know theyve had dev issues again and I have to meet with them for other proposals.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Belial and Cagliostro just got revealed on stream for Granblue Versus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvBfmyctKww

Chev fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Aug 8, 2020

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
So in Granblue Versus News. The Single Player update includes new story missions, a boss attack mode, and a blitz mode. The latter being a mode where your VS ranking doesn't go down but you can keep fighting for points and awards.

Belial got his trailer drop. He looks like he walked right out of Under Night which is not a bad thing. His release is 9/24. The next confirmed character is Cagliostro.

e:f;b

Brought To You By fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Aug 8, 2020

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Thank you for blessing me with Caggo, ArcSys/Cygames

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
that trailer is straight 2004 AMV poo poo lol

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Barudak posted:

That is a woman and she is no longer their spokesmodel.

I also have to obfuscate the brand because I think Im gonna unironically propose this to Capcom now that I know theyve had dev issues again and I have to meet with them for other proposals.

Helmut Kruger

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

AFashionableHat posted:

Akuma is fun for Akuma players. I say "is", not "was", because I still play and I still run tournaments, and Akuma is as bad as Leroy and Fakhumram, and in some ways worse, for both playing against and watching.

Geese is a little better, mostly because he doesn't have Demon Flip and hadoken > reppuken, but he's still just extremely Not Tekken.

Didn't Akuma do a lot to bring in new players, though? I thought that was part of why T7 did so well in sales at launch.

Competitive balance is one thing and should be considered, but if Akuma, Geese, etc. moved units/DLC sales, then there's no way Bamco doesn't continue down that route.

Lemon-Lime posted:

I've cracked the code and figured out what Ono was trying to do:

Y'know, that's not entirely impossible.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'm glad Belial keeps his theme.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Chev posted:

Belial and Cagliostro just got revealed on stream for Granblue Versus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvBfmyctKww

Are his alt colors just...different styles of sunglasses? God that's so loving good.

Also Caggo getting in means we're getting Trans Pride Zoner Goblin and I'm very hype for that. S2 looking way better already.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
in granblue you can use different weapons as a way of customization, kind of like soulcal. belial doesn't use a weapon, so he rocks different shades instead lol.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
That trailer honestly sounds like an AMV lol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Parades lust owns

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Gologle posted:

That trailer honestly sounds like an AMV lol

That's why it owns tbh

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

AFashionableHat posted:

Not even Namco is stupid enough to think that, after the absolute dumbass shitshow that has been Akuma/Eliza/Geese in Tekken 7, that their playerbase wants TxSF.

I hope.

What? Akuma and Geese in Tekken are awesome.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

In Training posted:

I agree but they were very popular in top 8s and probably that soured some people on them because they seem too good. And also some people for some reason really hated the thought of guest characters they dont know getting in instead of you know. their favorite bosconovitch or the xiaoyu clone with big boobs etc

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Let's compromise and add Geese with big boobs.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

In Training posted:

They're cool characters. They're also fundamentally broken (again, Geese less than Akuma) because they do not act like Tekken characters. Akuma is by consensus a character that is effectively unanswerable by half or more of the cast--characters who don't have high-hitbox high attacks, as they jump over jabs, something nobody else can do except like Yoshimitsu in one special move--in a way that no Tekken character is; people slept on him until they learned what Pakistan was doing and then the gates were opened. (Akuma also can touch-of-death you because the bar just makes him way, way better than his already top-tier kit does; who's going to actually make bar characters suck when you don't have any bar? Not Namco apparently,)

The only way TxSF works is to turn them into actual Tekken characters. No bar, no high jumps with instant air attacks, no Demon Flips. Or, I guess, to completely change the game and make every character like them and pack the roster with anti-air moves, but SFxT exists and is bad, so maybe not that either.

He's not the only character who I'd call "broken" in Tekken 7, but Fakhumram is broken because his frames are too good and his hitboxes are messed up and Leroy is broken because he has a good to great version of almost every tool in the game plus a top-shelf parry--Leroy needs some stuff removed from his kit and they both need to have their damage and frames adjusted but they don't make the smartest possible adjustment to make "play the mirror".

tracecomplete fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Aug 8, 2020

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

To complete it he should show up and pretend not to know who Belial is, but talk about how he definitely sounds like a guy who fucks.

Also it's a real shame how much they missed the mark with his English voice.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

AFashionableHat posted:

They're cool characters. They're also fundamentally broken (again, Geese less than Akuma) because they do not act like Tekken characters. Akuma is by consensus a character that is effectively unanswerable by half or more of the cast (characters who don't have high-hitbox high attacks, as they jump over jabs, something nobody else can do except like Yoshimitsu in one special move) in a way that no Tekken character is; people slept on him until they learned what Pakistan was doing and then the gates were opened.

(Akuma also can touch-of-death you because the bar just makes him way, way better than his already top-tier kit does; who's going to actually make bar characters suck when you don't have any bar? Not Namco apparently,)
Yeah this is what good fg design is

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

We already have a fighting game where every character is perfectly balanced and does the same things

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Akuma will be a tekken 8 launch character because he made harada rich

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

"This character is unanswerable" is not "make every character do the same thing".

Tekken characters, as a rule, have differing skillsets, not universally better ones. (Unless you're Gigas and then you just have a universally worse one.) For example, Bryan doesn't have a standard df1, some characters but not others have a magic 4, that sort of thing. But the 10f jab is the foundation of Tekken and every character already has a way to induce a whiff against it (sidestep). So being able to jump it could conceivably not be the worst thing in the world. But Tekken has defined "2D characters" as having instant air attacks, some with launch properties, and also Akuma gets Demon Flip for an unanswerable 50/50 starting at range. And no other character does two-combo-to-death damage in what is supposedly their "weaker" state.

The conceit of Akuma doesn't work in Tekken without either making him actually well and truly suck without meter, taking pieces out of his kit, or giving everybody some SF-rear end anti-airs, and the first two won't happen and the latter is bad for playing Tekken. One of him is enough and probably too much.

Maybe a Street Fighter character with absolutely no anti-airs exists, but I can't think of them (it's not my game) and I'd bet they wouldn't be viable? But that's the state of Tekken right now against Akuma.

tracecomplete fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Aug 8, 2020

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

somewhere along the line the mid-90s injoke of including akuma in everything morphed into official capcom policy even when it doesn't make much sense. there are definitely popular SF characters that would fit better into a crossover context

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Jazerus posted:

somewhere along the line the mid-90s injoke of including akuma in everything morphed into official capcom policy even when it doesn't make much sense. there are definitely popular SF characters that would fit better into a crossover context

Sure. Cammy comes to mind. Also she would make Harada horny and that's probably a net positive.

I dunno if there's a full half-a-roster you could come up with though?

I feel like you'd either need to give Tekken characters projectiles and anti-air attacks, though (and I super don't want that, I'm here to play Tekken), or do something that'd be game-breaking in the other direction, like "SF characters can't sidestep". The instant aerial attack stuff is really that gonzo powerful in a Tekken context.

Also E. Honda is already in Tekken 7, don't @ me

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

AFashionableHat posted:

"This character is unanswerable" is not "make every character do the same thing".

Tekken characters, as a rule, have differing skillsets, not universally better ones. (Unless you're Gigas and then you just have a universally worse one.) For example, Bryan doesn't have a standard df1, some characters but not others have a magic 4, that sort of thing. But the 10f jab is the foundation of Tekken and every character already has a way to induce a whiff against it (sidestep). So being able to jump it could conceivably not be the worst thing in the world. But Tekken has defined "2D characters" as having instant air attacks, some with launch properties, and also Akuma gets Demon Flip for an unanswerable 50/50 starting at range. And no other character does two-combo-to-death damage in what is supposedly their "weaker" state.

The conceit of Akuma doesn't work in Tekken without either making him actually well and truly suck without meter, taking pieces out of his kit, or giving everybody some SF-rear end anti-airs, and the first two won't happen and the latter is bad for playing Tekken. One of him is enough and probably too much.

Maybe a Street Fighter character with absolutely no anti-airs exists, but I can't think of them (it's not my game) and I'd bet they wouldn't be viable? But that's the state of Tekken right now against Akuma.

you keep describing good game design. i dont understand.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

"make picking any other character except the mirror a major disadvantage" is good game design. I see.

gently caress off now.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

should have been dan instead of akuma so that he could suck at everything except the broken-in-context SF moves without anybody getting upset

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Jazerus posted:

should have been dan instead of akuma so that he could suck at everything except the broken-in-context SF moves without anybody getting upset

The FR intro would certainly have a different tone

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Give paul a dive kick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Cammy, Abel, Laura, the twins, Alex, and Guy would probably fit in Tekken without overlapping too much with existing characters, though I've only spent maybe a minute thinking about it.