Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
lovely take, bro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

ThermoPhysical posted:

Mulan will release on Disney+ on September 4th but Disney is charging a $30 fee to watch it thier new "premium access" thing.

https://comicbook.com/movies/amp/news/mulan-to-stream-on-disney-plus/

The CEO says they will still release in theaters but who knows when and if that will happen. Apparently only Japan has theaters open right now?

There's a drive-in theater near me that has Mulan on its schedule.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Why all the making GBS threads on hazbin hotel? It’s gonna get worse now she got picked up by A24 because other indie creators who don’t find success love turning on the ones who do, it’s jealousy *mic drop*

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Hedrigall posted:

Why all the making GBS threads on hazbin hotel? It’s gonna get worse now she got picked up by A24 because other indie creators who don’t find success love turning on the ones who do, it’s jealousy *mic drop*

You just know that art students are fuming that they're not the ones who got paid for such concepts like The Sex Spider, and I mean that with no sarcasm intended whatsoever.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I continue to have no strong feelings one way or the other about Hazbin Hotel.

Pick posted:

Also someone pointed out to me that apparently the red radio elf is supposed to be inspired by a deer? I can't even start to figure out how the gently caress I'm supposed to get a deer out of that.

I would have guessed he was meant to be a fox, which is a much better symbolic animal for him than a deer if you ask me since his whole thing seems to be being tricky and cunning.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Aug 8, 2020

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

mycot posted:

You just know that art students are fuming that they're not the ones who got paid for such concepts like The Sex Spider, and I mean that with no sarcasm intended whatsoever.

Studios kept turning down my pitches and show bible for a vore themed animated series and now Beastars is the most popular anime on Netflix, what the hell??

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
What am I meant to do with these reams and reams of storyvoards

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Hedrigall posted:

What am I meant to do with these reams and reams of storyvoards

:golfclap:

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...
i still think if this whole thread put our heads together, we could come up with a cartoon that is both progressive and groundbreakingly sexy

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

fauna posted:

i still think if this whole thread put our heads together, we could come up with a cartoon that is both progressive and groundbreakingly sexy

Knowing the track record of goon projects I'd say there's about a 70% chance it'd produce the animated equivalent of scat.avi

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Hedrigall posted:

Studios kept turning down my pitches and show bible for a vore themed animated series and now Beastars is the most popular anime on Netflix, what the hell??

I feel like I have some valid complaints about Beastars: it needs more female characters and to be gayer.

It's got strong gay undertones, but I want overtones damnit!

Please note that "it needs more female characters and to be gayer" is a complaint I have about many shows so this isn't a Beastars only sin.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Pick posted:

Actually my very favorite outcome, which would make me laugh for 100,000 million years if it happened, is if essentially she signed over the entire premise of the show and it ended up being written and animated by other people, and it ended up much better. So her original characters (donut steel) would have much better designs and characterization, the entire labor of love being vastly improved by creative takeover and pervasive corporate oversight.

this is a great way to have all of the queer and progressive themes sandblasted out of it

fauna posted:

someone buy the rights to the Brazillian Mega Man comic jam

Megera
Sep 9, 2008

Hedrigall posted:

I hate on it because I want it to succeed as an adult animation that isn't ugly and has visual effort put into it. :colbert:

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Ghost Leviathan posted:

this is a great way to have all of the queer and progressive themes sandblasted out of it

Does anyone remember why Hazbin Hotel was painted as problematic at one point? I forget the details.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I feel like I have some valid complaints about Beastars: it needs more female characters and to be gayer.

It's got strong gay undertones, but I want overtones damnit!

Please note that "it needs more female characters and to be gayer" is a complaint I have about many shows so this isn't a Beastars only sin.

I honestly thought it was a gay anime before I watched it. This promo image didn’t help. I ended up very disappointed.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Well thanks to this thread I now know that Beastars isn't a show about horny gay deer, so I got that going for me.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

paradoxGentleman posted:

Does anyone remember why Hazbin Hotel was painted as problematic at one point? I forget the details.

'forgiveness and redemption also apply to terrible people, like the ones in this cartoon hell i have created'

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

paradoxGentleman posted:

I think most of it is accusations of plagiarism in animations and some extremely nsfw art the artist did.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

i sent ralph bakshi a letter about, my situation. he never responded directly, but he awarded me a "top fan" badge on his facebook page. then two weeks later he posted this

in conclusion, i love the man

fauna fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Nov 13, 2021

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

The main thing that interests me with Hazbin is that it is an impressive achievement for something produced independently, and I am very much in favour of indie, small scale and diy efforts. But at the same time I get the impression that it is the type of project that will never be fulfilled or cohere into an actual story without some sort of studio authority putting constraints on it, setting up an organised production process and generally cracking the whip. Mainly because its characters, general sense of humour and style give off a vibe I strongly associate with "deviantartist's cherished Original Character". The type young amateur artists create and post endless drawings and descriptions of without ever producing an actual work to contain, beyond what amounts to fan art of their own character.

That association is strong enough that even while being impressed with what they managed to produce so far I still had some skepticism that it would ever become anything more than an unusually diligent and high effort version of the deviantart OC showcase: pushing the more typical 'drawing with annotations describing their personality' to the level of 'animation with a song describing their personality' but never developing beyond repeated iterations of that into an actual show. I was hoping that skepticism would be proved wrong though, and now that it has been picked up by an actual studio at least something will have to come of it.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I think that's a pretty decent read on it. It absolutely reeks of there being reams of deep backstory that are all tucked away in a tumblr, right down to there being a second series in the same universe before a second episode of Hazbin came out to jam in more OCs. But now, with hindsight, that might've been because production on episode 2 was frozen when A23 approached them to buy the rights.

It's wonderful to see a really indy project go the distance, and honestly, the entire thing needed an editor. The characters are overdesigned, the writing reads like what a 15 year old thinks is adult. But there's genuine imagination and good ideas in there.

The other problem is that all the animation people I follow on twitter are posting :smug: constantly because "the haters" never wanted this to happen.

EDIT: Wait did we ever talk about the animated Lackadaisy kickstarter?

Boxman fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Aug 8, 2020

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

the most tantalising bit of animation drama i've glimpsed is that john kricfalusi, after an initial period of collaboration and goodwill, is apparently "terrified" of bakshi. i'm so desperate to know what happened, but could never bring myself to ask

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

oh lord lmao

i'm so sorry, something awful animation thread

bakshiiiiiiii

fauna fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Aug 8, 2020

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

bakshiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

fauna posted:

the most tantalising bit of animation drama i've glimpsed is that john kricfalusi, after an initial period of collaboration and goodwill, is apparently "terrified" of bakshi. i'm so desperate to know what happened, but could never bring myself to ask

probably because Bakshi strikes me as someone that would not have put up with John K's pretentious rear end and that's before people discovered John K is a pedophile and sexual predator.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

fauna posted:

Good, this further validates my "Bakshi is a good dude" theory.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
Postin baskshi itt

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Neon Noodle posted:

Postin baskshi itt

:kimchi:

thank you

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

currently he's famous as an animator, but in the eyes of history he'll probably be better known for his fine art works, which are exquisite. glorious ralph

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I reached a point, and I don't know exactly when it happened, because as a kid you can get crushes on cartoon characters all the time, but I just hit a point where I just can't find a cartoon sexy. It just looks like a cartoon. So if the selling point if something is predicated on how sexy it is, and it's a cartoon, I'm just going to be confused. Confused and bored.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Speaking of Bakshi and John K, what's the best way to get a hold of the 1989's Mighty Mouse?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Pick posted:

I reached a point, and I don't know exactly when it happened, because as a kid you can get crushes on cartoon characters all the time, but I just hit a point where I just can't find a cartoon sexy. It just looks like a cartoon. So if the selling point if something is predicated on how sexy it is, and it's a cartoon, I'm just going to be confused. Confused and bored.

I don’t know about you, but I definitely had much more hyperbolic ideas about what constituted “sexy” when I was a kid/teenager. I don’t know how much of that was hormones and immaturity, and how much of it was growing up in the 80s and being bombarded with that kind of imagery. Go back and watch, like, Night Court and see the kind of charicatures Dan Fielding dated and that’s the kind of imagery I associated with “sexiness”. I’m super glad I grew out of that.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I'm glad a24 is doing some hazbins, I think that's positive cartoon news. Maybe they will do risky movies as well. Or theatrical shorts! Or...cartoons with singing lobby candy.

Does Bakshi have a public gallery (in times of health)? I'm right north of new mexico

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

paradoxGentleman posted:

To the shock of absolutely no one the creator was a very long mainstay at the Tumblr art community and thus has years worth of inter e-creator drama that no one should care about. (The actually troubling call outs about harassment at the studio were about another animator who doesn't work on it anymore?)

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

paradoxGentleman posted:

Circling back around to this, besides the usual tumblr drama, in terms of keeping it to the work itself, this thread got put onto on my timeline:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
wait, did he become a spider because he went to hell? he's not some sort of hell spider? you become a ... cat with playing card wings if you're an rear end in a top hat on earth?? ?????? .... ???

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Edit: I keep getting the animation threads confused

YggiDee fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Aug 8, 2020

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
One more week until Fate/stay night Heaven's Feel 3 finally comes out in Japan :dance:

Shame nobody has a clue when the Anglosphere is getting it in any form

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pick posted:

wait, did he become a spider because he went to hell? he's not some sort of hell spider? you become a ... cat with playing card wings if you're an rear end in a top hat on earth?? ?????? .... ???

God, I certainly hope this is how the afterlife works.

I when I die I'm going to be a sexy hell platypus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

So how is your hell form decided? I assume you don't get input so presumably you get made something you'll loathe and hate being so Im gonna end up a aye aye wearing a budgie smuggler.