Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sprue
Feb 21, 2006

please send nudes :shittydog:
:petdog:

Hubis posted:

Yeah, they have a couple wheels to hold them level, and usually even a height adjustment option for dialing in a long or short cut. Also, they usually use a metal blade instead of a string to get a really clean cut

Thanks for the info. That edgit looks overkill for my spot, but sick. Do you have a brand/style you recommend for lawn trimmers? I'd want to get something low end because my lawn is small and I don't give too much of a poo poo lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Sprue posted:

Thanks for the info. That edgit looks overkill for my spot, but sick. Do you have a brand/style you recommend for lawn trimmers? I'd want to get something low end because my lawn is small and I don't give too much of a poo poo lol

I have the Ego trimmer, but I'd say it's probably overkill for your "I don't care too much" demographic. Do you have any 18v power tools (Milwaukee, Makita, DeWalt, Ryobi)? All of them have some kind of string trimmer that fits into the their respective battery ecosystems, so that seems like a lay-up.

Things to look for are larger maximum line gauge and an auto-winding feature. Larger line = more durable and more momentum when you are cutting.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I just saw a news article that Home Depot is dropping EGO as a brand they carry as part of a "accelerating it's investment" initiative and it's blowing my mind. They're the Cadillac of battery powered lawn equipment and I'd be surprised if they're not the best selling. I guess Home Depot has stock in some other brand and needs to cut competition.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

SpartanIvy posted:

I just saw a news article that Home Depot is dropping EGO as a brand they carry as part of a "accelerating it's investment" initiative and it's blowing my mind. They're the Cadillac of battery powered lawn equipment and I'd be surprised if they're not the best selling. I guess Home Depot has stock in some other brand and needs to cut competition.

uhh, wow. That's insane to me (especially given that Home Depot acts as the customer-facing service center for all Ego's repairs -- they manage the logistics of shipping the orders back to the manufacturer, etc). My guess is some internal negotiations between HD and Ego broke down and HD decided to play hard-ball.

Sprue
Feb 21, 2006

please send nudes :shittydog:
:petdog:

Hubis posted:

I have the Ego trimmer, but I'd say it's probably overkill for your "I don't care too much" demographic. Do you have any 18v power tools (Milwaukee, Makita, DeWalt, Ryobi)? All of them have some kind of string trimmer that fits into the their respective battery ecosystems, so that seems like a lay-up.

Things to look for are larger maximum line gauge and an auto-winding feature. Larger line = more durable and more momentum when you are cutting.

Oh wow that's awesome, I didn't realize they made trimmers for use with those little battery packs. The one I borrow from the farm to do my lawn now is gas and I hate starting it up and trouble shooting it, I'm just going to get a little electric one and I'll probably be inclined to cut my grass every week that way. Plus it's a good excuse to get off my butt and get a new impact driver. I love electric motors

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
HD and Ryobi are in bed pretty tighy these days so they may be aligning to make that their "official" brand.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Rhyno posted:

HD and Ryobi are in bed pretty tighy these days so they may be aligning to make that their "official" brand.
That was my thinking. I remember the last few times I've seen a display for battery powered lawn equipment, the Ryobi stuff was always front and center. Also isn't Ryobi owned by the same company that owns Milwaukee, which also has yard equipment coming out and is definitely in HD's good graces?

I really hope Lowes picks them up because while Ace is fine and all (I bought my latest EGO mower from Ace), the sales they get from them are probably small potatoes compared to HD.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Rhyno posted:

I had always thought that Ryobi *was* their in house brand, interesting.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Solkanar512 posted:

I think they've slowly been transitioning to that. Until like, last summer you could still buy Ryobi directly from Amazon but it's all resellers now.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I just bought an EGO mower and weedwhacker last week and used them for the first time today, it better not become impossible to have those things fixed or have the batteries replaced.

In related news, my lawn is like 60% crabgrass, spurge, and yellow nutsedge. Tips for getting that under control and having grass instead of weeds, given that it's too late in the summer to prevent those things from having grown in the first place?

Hubis
May 18, 2003

pmchem posted:

I just bought an EGO mower and weedwhacker last week and used them for the first time today, it better not become impossible to have those things fixed or have the batteries replaced.

In related news, my lawn is like 60% crabgrass, spurge, and yellow nutsedge. Tips for getting that under control and having grass instead of weeds, given that it's too late in the summer to prevent those things from having grown in the first place?

(Note: cool season lawn advice here)

Selective herbicide with Quinclorac (more effective on established crabgrass) and a spike of SedgeHammer. Add a non-ionic surfactant. Do this broadly (if weed cover is really that dense) and then repeat in 2-3 weeks as a spot application.

In the fall, overseed, mulch, and water constantly (like 2x a day) until germination is complete. If you are in a transition area get a laterally spreading fescue, otherwise a fescue/bluegrass mix (or straight bluegrass).

Next March put down an application of Dithiopyr, and do it again in May. Repeat the selective herbicide as a spot application for any trouble spots -- it should be much better by then.

Next fall put down another application of Dithiopyr in August/September (to prevent winter weeds). Then do the "fall nitro push": put down ~1lb/1000sqft actual N per month and mow CONSTANTLY. Your grass will grow like crazy, and the mowing will encourage lateral growth, filling in any gaps. This would be a great time to apply seaweed extract and humic acid as well.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I'm seeing speculation online that HD is dropping EGO because Milwaukee is coming out with a mower based on their MX line of batteries and they want to push that.

Could be interesting, but having to have both MX and M18 batteries to operate all your lawn equipment seems less appealing to me, and I'm already thoroughly bought into the M18 line.

E: Lowes announces exclusive partnership with EGO
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/lowes-launch-exclusive-partnership-ego-110000412.html

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jul 23, 2020

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
My yard is looking pretty good at the moment but I threw down some Ironite today so I'm curious to see how that will look next week. We're supposed to get some rain from the dirty side of that tropical storm but it shouldn't be anything heavy. Anyone use Ironite before and feel like it made a significant difference?

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Daric posted:

My yard is looking pretty good at the moment but I threw down some Ironite today so I'm curious to see how that will look next week. We're supposed to get some rain from the dirty side of that tropical storm but it shouldn't be anything heavy. Anyone use Ironite before and feel like it made a significant difference?

for an otherwise healthy lawn, hell yeah. Get that deep blue-green color on!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Daric posted:

Be careful with that. It's literally mining waste, therefore not subject to hazmat rules. And yes, it contains arsenic and lead.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Motronic posted:

Be careful with that. It's literally mining waste, therefore not subject to hazmat rules. And yes, it contains arsenic and lead.

:allbuttons:

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
I ate some, do you think that's bad?

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Can you explain to someone utterly unaware of such things why being mining waste makes it not subject to hazmat rules? Honestly curious

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Steve French posted:

Can you explain to someone utterly unaware of such things why being mining waste makes it not subject to hazmat rules? Honestly curious

I found this, while admittedly from an organization that wants to ban the stuff, it's uh... concerning

https://www.pccmarkets.com/sound-consumer/2005-03/sc0503-ironite/

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
The real answer is that the version of Ironite made from mining waste was discontinued in 2005. Since then it is owned by an entirely different company and is no longer dangerous.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.re...-for-crops/amp/

Daric fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jul 27, 2020

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos
drat, they don’t make em like they used to

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Motronic posted:

I allllllmost chimed in with this, but didn't want to start a massive derail.

But yeah. In regular applications it is not really going to accumulate to any noticeable volumes, but over an extended period yeah you might see accumulation of heavy metals. Note that Milorganite has similar iron content, but without the toxic metal load if you are worried about that kind of thing (although people have their own concerns with Milo, which I personally don't give much attention).

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Daric posted:

The real answer is that the version of Ironite made from mining waste was discontinued in 2005. Since then it is owned by an entirely different company and is no longer dangerous.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.re...-for-crops/amp/

Well, I suppose that's good to know. Strange how they would keep that name with all of the negative association that comes along with it.

Steve French posted:

In two words: lobbyists, money.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

SpartanIvy posted:

Also isn't Ryobi owned by the same company that owns Milwaukee, which also has yard equipment coming out and is definitely in HD's good graces?

Yes, they're both owned by Techtronic Industries.

Solkanar512 posted:

No, that's Husky, made by Stanley Black & Decker, among others.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
I have a Ryobi mower that I love but I’m considering getting a manual push reel mower as well.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Is this the right place for patios?

Wondering how to save this patio without the cost of a demo and do-over.

The concrete is separated by these stupid 2x4 inlays, and most of it is below-grade, and some of it is rotting.

The thing that is throwing a wrench into any of the ideas I might have is that the surface height of the concrete is right up against the bottom of the door.

I think that might stop me from my top two choices - thin pavers or resurfacing the concrete - correct?

My other option is to take out the wood and fill in the gaps with concrete and a pebble surface, something like

I'm open to suggestions or ideas.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I'd be looking at the pebble fill or whatever you like to or the wood (what s stupid loving idea for expansion joints, sorry dude) with proper expansion joints in there and then a skim coat refinish. You may need to patch some sections that are low (hard to tell in pics) but overall it shouldn't bring the height up much.

This is the kind of product you might be looking for: https://www.quikrete.com/athome/video-resurfacing-concrete-slabs.asp

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I think the long horizontal ones going away from the house are expansion joints, and the diagonal ones are just decorative. That would be an unnecessary amount of expansion joints if they all are. But the 2x4's are so wide its just really stupid.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

FogHelmut posted:

I think the long horizontal ones going away from the house are expansion joints, and the diagonal ones are just decorative. That would be an unnecessary amount of expansion joints if they all are. But the 2x4's are so wide its just really stupid.

Well, I mean......I get that there are too many and were put there for the sake of "style", but they are all expansion joints. Which means they are all going to work as expansion joints and need to be treated as such or you will be very displeased in regards to the amount of cracking of your infill and refinish coat.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
It’s taken some work but the yard is pretty clear of weeds. It looks pretty good all trimmed up!

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Why don't you let the children play on those swings? :colbert:

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

devmd01 posted:

It’s taken some work but the yard is pretty clear of weeds. It looks pretty good all trimmed up!

want to put mah feet in that grass

Hubis
May 18, 2003

devmd01 posted:

:drat:

E: BTW, now is the perfect time of year for people to get a six pack of cheap lager, a hose-end sprayer, pour the lager into the sprayer, and do an application to the lawn. The sugars will serve to boost microbe activity in the thatch that soaks up the beer, which in turn will cause it to breakdown even faster in the middle of the summer heat and prepare you for fall growing season.

Hubis fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Aug 8, 2020

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Weird, I normally just drink the beer while watering the lawn.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I drink beer and water the lawn with my piss. Is that doing it right?

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

wesleywillis posted:

As long as you're either sprinkling it around or overwatering it, otherwise you may get burn spots.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Smugworth posted:

As long as you're either sprinkling it around or overwatering it, otherwise you may get burn spots.

That reminds me of a funny (gross) story that I probably won't tell.
It would be more suited for a bachelor thread.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

wesleywillis posted:

Everyone knows you're supposed to piss in the compost

(Kidding)

((Not kidding))

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I got my patio taken out and it turns out there's a patio under my patio. It seems that the previous owners instead of removing the initial patio, just decided to put one on top and then raise the rest of the yard up 4 inches.

Before I spend another third of my money on taking this out, can I just lay pavers or flagstone on top? How much base or sand do I need between the concrete and the pavers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

Sounds like your sub-patio is a concrete slab? If so then my next question would be whether it's appropriately sloped away from any structures because it won't drain water like a normal paver base. Okay it might be basically the same if your normal base is some three quarter minus that packs like it should.

But anyways, yeah, if it's not going to pool water then the concrete is just fine as a base. Use an inch of sand like you would normally. Basically no extra effort required.