Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

ultrafilter posted:

The prefix "trans" shows up all over the place, but I can't recall seeing "cis" outside of chemical names.

Because it's practically never used, and neither is it's antonym: trans = on the other side of.

Trans- primary definition is across, and it most often describes the direction of a certain motion rather than a static position. The Romans slapped it on the front of approximately a million different verbs, later languages like English picked those words up and now trans- is all over the place, while the much less versatile cis- is largely confined to chemistry and nerds reading old books about Roman conquests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

It sounds like there's a story here that I have no awareness of. Did this guy show his rear end with this "New Discourses" thing?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Lemniscate Blue posted:

It sounds like there's a story here that I have no awareness of. Did this guy show his rear end with this "New Discourses" thing?

He and his ilk are trying to conflate "trans women are women" with "2 + 2 = 5" as clearly false statements that the evil SJWs are forcing people to believe. People with way more education than sense have had fun showing that it's not so obvious and that the Orwellian connotation is false, to which he replied with a long screed about how he knows math but everybody hates math or something (he has a Math PhD).

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Here's Kareem Carr, the guy James Lindsay tried to cancel, explaining why 2 + 2 does equal 5 in certain contexts: https://www.popularmechanics.com/science/math/a33547137/why-some-people-think-2-plus-2-equals-5/

Notably, despite what his bad-faith critics say, it's not because everything is meaningless and facts don't matter.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The very important detail you need to understand is that Kareem is black and a Harvard grad student. For some people, that's a problem in and of itself.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Has anybody coined the term "cisteria" for people getting het up about the prefix cis?

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

And I'm proud to be an rear end in a top hat from El Paso ...

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That guy's display picture is damnably familiar, wasn't there some account a while ago that had that and it was either a parody or another really weird racism account?

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

HAY GUYZ! I want to be a director

My "2+2=4" T-shirt has people asking a lot of questions already answered by my shirt.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/uhshanti/status/1292236512147324928?s=19

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/boring_as_heck/status/1292142988844400641?s=21

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Pththya-lyi posted:

Here's Kareem Carr, the guy James Lindsay tried to cancel, explaining why 2 + 2 does equal 5 in certain contexts: https://www.popularmechanics.com/science/math/a33547137/why-some-people-think-2-plus-2-equals-5/

Notably, despite what his bad-faith critics say, it's not because everything is meaningless and facts don't matter.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

there wolf posted:

Because it's practically never used, and neither is it's antonym: trans = on the other side of.

Trans- primary definition is across, and it most often describes the direction of a certain motion rather than a static position. The Romans slapped it on the front of approximately a million different verbs, later languages like English picked those words up and now trans- is all over the place, while the much less versatile cis- is largely confined to chemistry and nerds reading old books about Roman conquests.
And of course early 2000's R&B star Cisqo.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Skwirl posted:

Some follow up

https://twitter.com/JoshNBCNews/status/1291093604618973184?s=20

Edit: wasn't there a dude who they tried to put in front of press to say he was raped by some democrat later claim Wohl and Burkman had basically kidnapped him to get him to make false accusations?

This is many pages back, so I am sorry.

But why isn't Wohl in jail?

If I remember rightly when he made false rape accusations against Robert Mueller(?), or it could have been one of the other ones, the thing was forwarded to the FBI, who tend to take that kind of poo poo seriously.

So what, if any, legal repercussions did the lying fascist grifter face?

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

BrigadierSensible posted:

is this a serious question? considering who is in the white house?

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude

This is some Ayn Rand stuff. In Atlas Shrugged, John Galt keeps saying objectivism is all based on A=A but never really explains.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Gross Dude posted:

This is some Ayn Rand stuff. In Atlas Shrugged, John Galt keeps saying objectivism is all based on A=A but never really explains.

Isn't the A=A something from Mister A, that objectivist comic book by Steve Ditko? I can never remember the history of all this

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

If I remember rightly when he made false rape accusations against Robert Mueller(?), or it could have been one of the other ones, the thing was forwarded to the FBI, who tend to take that kind of poo poo seriously.

his dad's rich

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Shirec posted:

Isn't the A=A something from Mister A, that objectivist comic book by Steve Ditko? I can never remember the history of all this

Ditko was a Randian, Mister A is based on her philosophy, and Rorschach was based on Alan Moore realizing how crazy Ditko was

killa-pope
May 21, 2008

Pinus Porcus posted:

Yea, retail and restaurant workers aren't paid enough to deal with the verbal abuse from folks over masks, much less the more physically violent types.

Honestly, we should just shame the antimask people as publicly and loudly as possible to help out our brethren who work in those hellholes.

Hey, Louisville Kroger employee here.

So first, that guy is a store manager. He is paid enough to deal with that, it is his job to deal with that, and he is explicitly the only person in the store allowed to deal with that.

But second, unlike other stores that have followed through on their mask policies, Kroger absolutely has not. When KY implemented a mask mandate, Kroger’s position was “ask nicely then let them shop.” And now that it is ‘Kroger Policy’ that you have to wear a mask inside the store? Same thing.

Tl;dr: If you want to shop for your groceries somewhere that enforces masks and social distancing, stay far away from any Kroger or Kroger-owned store.

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly

killa-pope posted:

Hey, Louisville Kroger employee here.

So first, that guy is a store manager. He is paid enough to deal with that, it is his job to deal with that, and he is explicitly the only person in the store allowed to deal with that.

But second, unlike other stores that have followed through on their mask policies, Kroger absolutely has not. When KY implemented a mask mandate, Kroger’s position was “ask nicely then let them shop.” And now that it is ‘Kroger Policy’ that you have to wear a mask inside the store? Same thing.

Tl;dr: If you want to shop for your groceries somewhere that enforces masks and social distancing, stay far away from any Kroger or Kroger-owned store.

Where I am, the only place that truly enforces is the Costco 60 miles away. No employee want to deal with the absolutely insane backlash. As someone pointed out, a person was shot over this. I hate it, but I understand the apathy. I will grant, as the store manager, he is the one dude paid to deal with poo poo. I thought he was just one of the normal managers, some of whom get paid like poo poo, so sorry about that.

Also, Kroger is just a poo poo company anyway. Expecting competency (no offense) is something I gave up on there decades ago.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Being white and having money makes you invincible

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Mak0rz posted:

Being white and having money makes you invincible

Until you piss off someone richer, whiter, and more powerful. See: Martin Shkreli, the Enron people, that Ponzi scheme guy, Conrad Black, Micheal Milken, and dozens of others. Wohl is stepping all up in it and is absolutely not connected or rich enough to get away with this poo poo forever.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Doc Hawkins posted:

his dad's rich

His dad’s not rich. He’s a grifter, and Jacob takes after him.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
doesnt Wohl have a life time ban on fin trading? (thats some how a thing??), he's already effed with richer people's money and now he just does that weird con/griefing game.

if you want to see a a truely immune fail sons (that also have the family / social connections to actually get some real minor power), look at the Donnie sons, James O'Keefe, and tiny Ben.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

RC and Moon Pie posted:

And I'm proud to be an rear end in a top hat from El Paso ...

:hfive:

can you mail me some chicos?

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

These things are always like "The guy had dark skin, differently colored than mine, not white, wore some clothes I guess"

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

1Period2Spaces posted:

I had a criminal justice class in college in a big auditorium. The prof was on a sort of stage in front. On one particular day, mid-way through the lecture, a guy came from stage left, walked all the way across the stage in full view of everyone, grabbed her purse, and exited stage left. She then stopped and had everyone write down an eyewitness statement identifying the person that just walked in full view of 200+ people. He was anywhere from 5'5 to 6'5, and was literally every form of brown person that you could think of. Indian. South American. Black guy. Mexican. It was amazing, and horrifying. I didn't do any better than anyone else.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Gross Dude posted:

I’m surprised they’re not going with the THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS thing from Star Trek, seems like it’s more on the nose

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Data Graham posted:

I’m surprised they’re not going with the THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS thing from Star Trek, seems like it’s more on the nose

Oh, I assure you that some replies have that, too.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Four lights on the edge of a cliff...

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Criminal justice works the same way.

HiroProtagonist has a new favorite as of 16:47 on Aug 9, 2020

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe

Gross Dude posted:

I think the 2+2 thing is a 1984 reference. The fact that Ayn Rand may have cribbed a better author like Orwell should surprise nobody. Both of them had a grievance with the way the CPSU attempted to exert total control over the historic narrative in the USSR. Comparing this to how it's unpopular to say racist and transphobic poo poo in academia is of course just a huge persecution complex circle jerk.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Gross Dude posted:

he's saying that moral truths can be determined by using your big logical brain to observe the world, and that from there the only rational and objective course of action is to ban food stamps and sell babies for profit if that's what you want to do

objectivism is a joke philosophy waved around by assholes because it sounds smart enough to get you in the door of the big boy academics. like it mimics the trappings of formal philosophy just enough that you can pretend it is one, like a kid wearing his dad's suit

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Computer, show me The Fakest Post:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Stack Machine posted:

I think the 2+2 thing is a 1984 reference. The fact that Ayn Rand may have cribbed a better author like Orwell should surprise nobody. Both of them had a grievance with the way the CPSU attempted to exert total control over the historic narrative in the USSR. Comparing this to how it's unpopular to say racist and transphobic poo poo in academia is of course just a huge persecution complex circle jerk.

It's like how "people will get unfairly fired for exercising their religious freedom to be homophobes!" that went around when the same-sex marriage act was being debated, even though, as far as I know, the only person who was fired for their views on same-sex marriage was UKIP's youth spokesperson (the so-called "libertarian non-racist" party's policy was against it).

killa-pope
May 21, 2008

Pinus Porcus posted:

Where I am, the only place that truly enforces is the Costco 60 miles away. No employee want to deal with the absolutely insane backlash. As someone pointed out, a person was shot over this. I hate it, but I understand the apathy. I will grant, as the store manager, he is the one dude paid to deal with poo poo. I thought he was just one of the normal managers, some of whom get paid like poo poo, so sorry about that.

Also, Kroger is just a poo poo company anyway. Expecting competency (no offense) is something I gave up on there decades ago.

I love that Costco enforces it, and Target enforces it here as well. Can’t speak for any other place as I try to limit my already over-exposed self as much as possible.

And no offense taken! There was a lot of underlying frustration getting vented in my post, and I just wanted to make sure everybody was on the same page about management v labor. They will call the police in a heartbeat if they think somebody’s going to walkout with a $100 grocery order, but a somebody who could be infected with a pandemic-causing virus not taking basic precautions is a hands-off matter.

Anyway, have an idiot tax:

If you’re going to set up a dummy page, set up a dummy email to go with it.

https://twitter.com/tinybaby/status/1292514787331411968?s=21

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It was a gag.

https://twitter.com/adam_rahuba/status/1292522575982141441?s=21

My internet cynicism got set off by the ‘too easy to find’ Shapiro email address, that turned it from a fake right wing run site to a fake left wing run site.

killa-pope
May 21, 2008
Well ... color me idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/baddestmamajama/status/1292581483333316608