Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Invisible Clergy posted:

I can't claim to know much about Mookie's working relationship with the man who draws this comic because before you started posting I'd essentially never given Star Power much thought, but I think that having to actually send scripts to another human person might instill something akin to shame or self awareness in Mookie and hold him back ever so slightly from his Mookiest tendencies versus when he works on the comic alone. e.g. I don't think there has been any sexual violence in Star Power so far. Don't tell me if I'm wrong, i want to face the next issue bare-brained, so your experiment can continue undisturbed.

I read through a few of the blogs, and Mookie does indicate that the writing process for this comic is collaborative between him and Garth, yes. Garth isn't just an artist after all, he has 2 other webcomics that he previously wrote as well as illustrated himself.

I get the impression that (not from the quality of his work, which stays consistent, but from the blogs), over time, Garth has grown pretty tired of working on this comic, whether it's that he doesn't like making something that's not solely his own work or if it's more about having to work with Mookie. I mean, we'd all probably jump to pin it on the latter, but he DID choose to make a comic with Mookie to begin with, so he has to like SOMETHING about his work. Regardless, they made it clear that Garth is the one that chose to end the comic, and if it were up to Mookie, they'd continue as he had quite a few more Star Power stories he wanted to tell.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Aug 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
The idea that the writing is collaborative is mind-boggling, cause it all feels so incredibly Mookie. Either Garth is giving him the barest of bullet points or Mookie is so powerful he just buries everything Garth contributes.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Finder's Keepers is very Neil Gaiman in a derivative sense, but it doesn't have the Mookie childishness in the plots. I wonder if Garth's contribution is making the aliens look cool

I actually don't mind the alien designs in Star Power, they just aren't in service to a good story.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
If I had to a venture a guess based on just what we've seen of the comic, I'd assume that Mookie is the one actually writing the stories and scripts, but that Garth had a lot of input on the basic worldbuilding and possibly on the concepts of the stories.

Like Mookie and Garth come up with the story together, the basic plot beats/outline, the but the actual script - the words we see on the pages - are all Mookie.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I read through a few of the blogs, and Mookie does indicate that the writing process for this comic is collaborative between him and Garth, yes. Garth isn't just an artist after all, he has 2 other webcomics that he previously wrote as well as illustrated himself.

I get the impression that (not from the quality of his work, which stays consistent, but from the blogs), over time, Garth has grown pretty tired of working on this comic, whether it's that he doesn't like making something that's not solely his own work or if it's more about having to work with Mookie. I mean, we'd all probably jump to pin it on the latter, but he DID choose to make a comic with Mookie to begin with, so he has to like SOMETHING about his work. Regardless, they made it clear that Garth is the one that chose to end the comic, and if it were up to Mookie, they'd continue as he had quite a few more Star Power stories he wanted to tell.
From my understanding, Mookie paid Garth to do the art for Star Power, which makes sense to me, since I can't imagine willingly associating with Mookie for five minutes much less for however many years this comic ran unless I was being paid thousands of dollars. I can hardly blame this guy for burning out.

TheHan posted:

The idea that the writing is collaborative is mind-boggling, cause it all feels so incredibly Mookie. Either Garth is giving him the barest of bullet points or Mookie is so powerful he just buries everything Garth contributes.
The relationship between writer and artist for comics is always a little different. It doesn't seem like it's full 50/50, maybe he and Garth talk or brainstorm together and work on layouts and then Mookie does the scripts? I agree it smells like 100% pure Mookie. I somehow don't feel like Garth is contributing that much, and he is smart to avoid doing so.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

If I had to a venture a guess based on just what we've seen of the comic, I'd assume that Mookie is the one actually writing the stories and scripts, but that Garth had a lot of input on the basic worldbuilding and possibly on the concepts of the stories.

Like Mookie and Garth come up with the story together, the basic plot beats/outline, the but the actual script - the words we see on the pages - are all Mookie.

That would make sense as well.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Can you imagine how irritating mookie would be to collab with? I wouldn’t be shocked if Garth just checked out after the first little while.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Alright gents and gentiles, let's do another one.

Chapter 3.4

So, to reiterate from last time, the void angels take Asari Girl captive. And it turns out this whole time, despite being utterly obsessed with chasing her down, Angry Bald Guy had no plan. You’re facing someone who is neigh-invulnerable and has beaten you twice before, and you have NO PLAN?

And this guy. Why is he going along with this? Is it their “bond”? That’s some thin bullshit, we really need more than that.

Once again, the void angels’ stealth-tech is the deus ex machina that forces Danica to go alone. Isn’t this a federation of thousands of planets? And yet this one (now defeated!) mercenary band is the only one with stealth? That’s some even thinner bullshit.

Anyway she flies out to wait for them and they appear and do some potshots on her. Come on, they already know this doesn’t do anything except sting.

Ok, FINALLY some indication she’s not completely invulnerable. But, again, the void angels don’t know that – all they know is they’ve shot her before and it didn’t kill her, so they’d have no idea what her limit is.

Finally, she does something smart – takes one of the void angels (Burke) hostage herself. All the time saying “this is so mean”. I get that she doesn’t want to kill, but that is some downright pathetic internal dialogue.

The other two fire on Burke because…

It’s time for Friendlyeyes Redemptionface to make his redemption move! No, this wasn’t telegraphed from the first second I saw him, no way.

So she can tank your hits some more? Come on.

REDEMPTION’D

Also they should really be dead after that, lol

Anyway, Danica saves Beena, and then teleports away out of nowhere.

She’s been teleported here, the lair of the keeper of the last key.

Oh thank loving god, she may actually have to put out some effort instead of being handed the key for being nice.

NOPE! Fake-out! The test was to not kill a guy trying to kill you. ssssssiiiiiiiggggghhhhh

Question: how exactly did the Zel Gux beat the Scitillians if they didn't want to ever kill anyone?

The key keeper reveals he is a robutt, and Danica gets the final key.

Oh, and the gate happens to be here too.

She’s been transported to Zicuri Ro, which is the planet that the Mookie-illustrated after-chapter interludes take place on.

Only one page of Blue Lady this time. So we find out the Empire was like the Federation.

But… The Empire fell because it was tyrannical. And the people rebelling against it, you know, didn’t want that. So… Wouldn’t that mean that love and compassion is good, because it topples empires?

… Because it will eventually lose its love and compassion? Seriously, even when this lady is arguing her own side she’s so transparently arguing against it. It’s the shallowest possible worldview. I don’t know why Mookie bothered writing this when it’s so thin. If you want a cartoon villain or a crazy person, fine, go for it. But if you’re going to do that, why do these deep dives into their philosophy? You need to actually have some kind of logic behind it. There’s just none here, it’s so easily picked apart.

It feels like Mookie was unconsciously afraid to actually write a compelling bad guy because he can't stand to have his good guys' ideals seriously questioned. And that's going to be a major theme I'll touch on throughout the next few chapters.

Anyway, it ends again with more of the interlude. The TL:DR of all these is that the Zel Gux ran from the Scitillians, who were their slave masters, and stole the (unfinished) Star Power. They landed on Zicuri Ro and make friends with the people there, who helped them complete the Star Power. When it was complete, the Zel Gux left to defeat the Scitillians and spread their City-Palaces around the galaxy, and the Zicuri chose to stay on their planet and guard the installation you’ll see in the next issue.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Aug 24, 2020

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
If I didn't know any better I'd say he's about to do a Trump thing. I don't know if the time lines up but writing an obviously evil cartoon that gets a ton of support from the very people they plan to gently caress over feels like the most mid-tier lib poo poo he could and absolutely would do.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

https://youtu.be/uvJWR_qvJ6k

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

TheHan posted:

If I didn't know any better I'd say he's about to do a Trump thing. I don't know if the time lines up but writing an obviously evil cartoon that gets a ton of support from the very people they plan to gently caress over feels like the most mid-tier lib poo poo he could and absolutely would do.

Possible, but unlikely. The comic started in 2013. This arc is from 2014/15, and while solo Mookie might not plan ahead, he must be giving Garth ideas for issues to draw at least a little bit in advance.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Invisible Clergy posted:

Possible, but unlikely. The comic started in 2013. This arc is from 2014/15, and while solo Mookie might not plan ahead, he must be giving Garth ideas for issues to draw at least a little bit in advance.

drat, knew it was too good to be true. It'd be the most lukewarm take imaginable and exactly what he would do, plus he's already got a whole group of scapegoats painted as violent, gun-loving bigots. I guess in this case he was ahead of the curve?

Speaking of, "Love and compassion are good" seems like the overall theme of this arc, and maybe the entire comic? It'd explain why for a bit there Danica refused to harm any robots and had a name for everything. It'd also explain why the blue woman and all the humans are only about violence and hatred. I wouldn't call it a bad theme...but since the villains are just irredeemably evil, she can only ever respond to them with violence. It doesn't really give her a chance to show off that love and compassion that allegedly defines a Star Sentinel, outside of these awkward moments like the whole test situation. Or that quick thought bubble to tell you Danica feels totally bad about holding this guy hostage.

TheHan fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Aug 8, 2020

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

TheHan posted:

drat, knew it was too good to be true. It'd be the most lukewarm take imaginable and exactly what he would do, plus he's already got a whole group of scapegoats painted as violent, gun-loving bigots. I guess in this case he was ahead of the curve?

Speaking of, "Love and compassion are good" seems like the overall theme of this arc, and maybe the entire comic? It'd explain why for a bit there Danica refused to harm any robots and had a name for everything. It'd also explain why the blue woman and all the humans are only about violence and hatred. I wouldn't call it a bad theme...but since the villains are just irredeemably evil, she can only ever respond to them with violence. It doesn't really give her a chance to show off that love and compassion that allegedly defines a Star Sentinel, outside of these awkward moments like the whole test situation. Or that quick thought bubble to tell you Danica feels totally bad about holding this guy hostage.

It's because Mookie is incapable of thinking of love and/or compassion as being active things a character can do or be a part of. Instead, he views them solely as an absence of violence or aggression (except not really.) It is a bad theme both because it's insipid and uncontroversial, and also because it's not really engaged with in any meaningful way by the characters or the plot.

Even if Danica feels bad about holding designated love interest brokennose hostage, she's still doing it, so what good exactly was the thought balloon?

Invisible Clergy fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Aug 8, 2020

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

"Love and compassion" and "punching people but not killing" are clearly exactly the same thing

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Yo please don't just throw disability talk like that around. I don't like Mookie either and I think his writing is hacky and morally reductive but that's kind of much, though I do agree with the rest of your thoughts there.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah, agreed there. You can call Mookie a lot of things - a bad writer, an insufferable nerd whose personality drives people away, an otaku whose sensibilities are stuck in the 90s - but calling him mentally handicapped is both unnecessary and untrue.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Zerilan posted:

It's just the equivalent to how Dominic/Luna/Greg would never kill anyone in DD, but someone like Celesto would always show up afterwards to gruesomely finish the job, usually right before or after we would find out the person is even more cartoonishly evil than we thought just to make sure no one would mourn the dead.

I thought about this post when I caught up on Dumbing of Age and read this strip.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Cat Mattress posted:

I thought about this post when I caught up on Dumbing of Age and read this strip.

DoA I only really know through willis's stuff being posted when I was following the GBS bad webcomics thread, but I'm having a hard time even parsing some of the dialogue skimming through it

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Cat Mattress posted:

Wow, what the hell is this?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

From what I understand, it's a college slice of life webcomic that inexplicably has a superhero character whose villian is her actual dad, who is absurdly evil in ways wildly inappropriate for this type of comic, and that cop just Of Mice and Men'd him.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

I looked at what could possibly follow this empirically hysterical strip and it was normal gags, then hit the buffer. I'm getting big Funky CancerCancer energy from this comic. It feels like it's a gag or shopped version of something somehow. It's in fine company here.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

It's one of those strips where if you haven't already been reading it for years, you really shouldn't bother.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Invisible Clergy posted:

Even if Danica feels bad about holding designated love interest brokennose hostage, she's still doing it, so what good exactly was the thought balloon?

This is what really gets me about it. Yeah she shows us and herself that she won't really hurt this guy, but that doesn't take into account how he feels about the situation. Y'now, like somebody with compassion would do. Mookie's so bad at writing a story that doesn't talk directly-and solely-to the audience, that he doesn't think about how the characters in his story would feel. Like how Danica just explodes the Supernova Dragonlords off their bikes, letting them smash into unforgiving earth. It's ok, cause we the audience can see their word balloons and know they're all still alive. Nevermind how they feel about coming so close to death, or how someone who's actually compassionate would feel about doing it.

It feels like any writer would quickly catch on to this huge crack in their story, and I can already feel my finger nudging towards the "Surely he can't be this bad" button

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Gather round true Deegan fans, it's time for...

Chapter 3.5

God Danica you’re so loving dumb

Anyway these guys save her. If you’ve been reading the post-comic interludes, these are the Zicuri.

The other two void angels escape, but Redemption McRedemption is left behind to his fate.

As a side note, the aliens in those ships are really, really huge and need a really big ship for a single one of them. You’ll see their bio later. I actually really like their design and wish they came up in the comic other than just this moment.

Beena and the robutt are getting along famously, and she’s rescued safely by her friends.

So more backstory on the Zicuri. They have a very dangerous planet, and refused to join the federation.

Yep. Dad jokes are Danica’s thing now I guess, even though she’s made like, 2, and only recently. But hey, buckle up, because that’s about to be corrected.

Mookie uses the “Person talks about a thing, then elsewhere, that exact thing happens” joke way too many times.

Turns out this ancient isolationist tribal race just LOVES dad jokes. And I hate this comic.

So yeah, they’ve been waiting all this time for a Star Powered Sentinel. But… I thought there were a bunch of them, that Blue Lady killed?

loving hell, Danica, you live in a federation of a thousand worlds, and you’ve never seen an alien race that looked off-putting to human sensibilities? Hell, you could already tell what they looked like under their masks, pretty much.

Oh but it turns out they’re totally cool with being gravely insulted. Yeah, we’re pretty uggo, it’s all good!

Danica and the Zicuri make a traditional walking pilgrimage to the “temple of steel”, while the doctor and Octomom set up another “thing/the same thing, elsewhere” joke.

Womp womp!

Oh so NOW you’re cool with violence, when it’s an animal just acting on instinct.

Ok so she definitely killed that thing, right? Weird how the natives are suddenly just cool with it whereas before they were like, “It claimed its prey, leave it”. Guess it’s not sacred or whatever.

Anyway she saves both of them and they join her on the journey.

Wait, “You can understand their language”? But the federation has already made contact with the Zicuri. Even if the only communication was to refuse to join, they’ve already been able to communicate with them. There’s no detail given to how the universal translators work, but even if their language isn’t loaded up in it, she’s not the first to converse with them.

Anyway, they find the temple, and it’s Cerebro from X-men a Quasar Well.

GASP! We’re about to find out the true identity of the Zel Gux! They are…

… Scintillians. Wait, is this supposed to be a surprise? Of course they are.

But now comes the bigger reveal, the thing we’ve ALL been on the edge of our seat about…

Zel and Gux mean Love and Compassion in Scintillian!

WOW! Well, all MY questions are answered. Comic good now!

Backstory dump time!

So, hopping a bit into meta-narrative at this point, clearly this was set up for a larger plot of Danica seeking out the other surviving sentinels and upgrading her power, as even at her overpowered state she’s the weakest sentinel ever (even though this is the FIRST Quasar Well they made, it’s still the weakest…? You’d think they’d go back and upgrade it later or something if they were able to make a bunch more).

This never comes to pass, as the comic will end before this plot could go into motion. The next 3 chapters faff about with unrelated plots that don’t advance this at all.

So, exposition over, everyone’s back safe, and they even bring the robutt with them… Hey, wait a minute. Two things about that.

One. Why did the robot leave his post? No one said anything about her being the LAST sentinel. Won’t he need to be there to give a key to the next one that comes by? He’s just gonna leave now?

Two. He’s one of these robots:

So killing robots IS murder now? I guess Danica DID kill a fuckton of people!

I feel a bit bad making fun of this page it’s pretty clearly autobiographical. Mookie has spoken about being socially rejected multiple times because of his over-the-top enthusiasm. My only problem with it is Beena didn’t really that trait until this chapter - before she was just a mildly annoying Star Power fangirl.

What about “and you also really do have skill and helped me out”? Her saving Danica is her only redeeming quality now? “Thanks for saving my life – sorry your personality is still trash.”

By the way this is the last meaningful interaction Beena and Danica have in the comic. I’m not sure they ever appear in the same scene ever again.

Again, this doesn’t make sense, there were a bunch of other Sentinels that the Blue Lady killed! Why do they keep acting like Danica is the only one that’s ever existed?

So that’s it. Danica knows the history of the Star Power, has her first upgrade, and has a mission that she’ll never continue before the comic ends. No big badguy or looming threat is set up.

Well, except for the Blue Badlady. She might break out and find a way to threaten Danica and the galaxy, right? Let’s flash over to her.

Psy-ops guy uses his power of psychology to DESTROY HER WORLDVIEW. Yowza!

“Love and compassion bad! Violence and destruction… Also bad! Therefore, tyranny and slavery… Good?”

This one is hilarious, it doesn’t even flash to prove her being wrong after she says it – it’s in the same panel.

Daaaaamn, you got PSYCHOLOGY’D!

Again, why do any of this scene when it’s all handwaved away so quickly? Just because he says “nah we won’t descend into that” means it’s true? And suddenly she’s cowed by this, for no good reason.

Blue Badlady never appears in the comic again.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Aug 24, 2020

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Wait, really!?

He had the villain of the first arc keep showing up, with a deep connection to the backstory of the protagonist, but then just... left her in jail forever? No jailbreak? No secret plan? Her whole purpose was just demonstrating the wrong thing that we're not supposed to think, and get owned over and over?

Like drat I knew Mookie was a bad writer, but that is really impressively awful.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yep. Well, again with the caveat that the comic ended before Mookie was done with the story, but on the other hand, he chose to spend the next 4 years essentially writing side stories.

Oh, also, here's the bios for this chapter, there were a ton of them and I had a lot to say about this chapter, so I wanted to put them in a separate post.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Aug 9, 2020

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Blue Badlady never appears in the comic again.

Jesus Christ, I'm so stupid. Of course he wasn't setting up themes and a central antagonist for his story. What's wrong with me. Mookie never even planned on entertaining the idea that she or her ideals were a credible threat to anyone. DUH. Here I was thinking I hadn't hit the "Surely he can't be this bad" button yet but my dumbass has been sitting on it the whole time.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah, there was even one moment where I was like, "Oh poo poo, she's gonna break out and then poo poo will get real":

But nah she just stops there

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
C'mon, Space Ben Shapiro barely even flinches, then just keeps smugly eviscerating her with Facts and Logic™. Even if this comic didn't end prematurely there's no doubt in my mind that if Blue Lady showed up again she would've completely changed her personality to one of Love and Compassion.

He's just...an explosively bad writer. It's incredible. Danica always resorts to violence, she mocked her friend for being knowledgeable and Black Hole Bill was sent to a gulag. The cosmic weapons never even got close to actually touching her...Dude blew it on every front.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

I don't want to get all Political about it, but this analysis as to what Mookie is looking for as a theme fires up my desire to analyze. Mookie's plots are a reflection of his (and many people's) uncritical acceptance of the idea of US empire as a force for good. It has not come up yet in teh comic, but I'm going to spoil a bit of Rotten Red Rod's summaries by saying that the purple crime people planet (Axiosis) has a very interesting backstory:

This is the story of how the Millenium Federation, who later the Zel Gux declare as the highest reflection of their ideals, come in as a benevolent occupation force, clamored for by the people of Axiosis, in a continous battles with the corrupt and evil local government.

This is almost propaganda for US military actions. It follows the same logic or liberal interventionism that pervaded the latter half of the 20th century. This is an example of the core dissonance in Mookie's (and liberal America's) worldview. Mookie grew up on cartoons and ideas that spread the idea of peaceful resolution to disputes, love and tolerance, diversity and respect, but within the context of a white majority country and an imperial country. So worked into these ideals are examples of the way the fail to actually be practiced, most glaringly by the obvious continuation of racism in America and by the extreme violence the US has metted out abroad. Racism is explained away as an individual failing, ignorance and bigotry falling with each generation, while violence his laundered throught the logic of the state monopoly, so that violence enacted by the governing structures is understood as necessary and for a greater good than the damage caused. Mookie obivously struggles on a personal level with vindictive thoughts on people who bullied or wronged him in the past, but ideologically knows that these are wrong (because to act on them wouldn't be legitimate violence). Mookie has also in the past shown a nostalgia for simple good and evil plots, like you would see in He-man. But he also wants his work to be relevant. So it produces this apolitical political work, where he brings in issues related to the modern world, actual political ideas, but uncritically passes it through a lense of US liberal ideology that justifies not think about the cause of issues beyond identifying the one bad guy doing it.

Rather than interrogate what these contradictions mean about his ideals, or ideological framework he exists in, Mookie instead put forth a standard Liberal incrementalist framing: The underlying structures (which in the Millenium Federation still canonically includes punitive prisons and a large military-industrial complex, from what we've seen) are fundamentally good, but being currently used in the real world for evil. That's the standard utopian framing of a capitalist future*, where the structures are kept but humans "evolve" out of our violence, as if the violence is a fault of hte pople in the system and not the system itself. Fundamentally, Mookie can't escape understanding that conflict will lead to violence on some level, but he launders his violence in his works by either justifying it (no killing), or passing it off to some antagonist (Celesto) or third party (The Zori) to enact on behalf of his protagonists, so that he can square the circle and protect the moral purity of his characters. Questions of whether Star Power uses too much force, when it's legitimate for her to use it (if it can ever be), whether people will exploit the Star Power for evil, whether she should have exclusive say in using it, are all dismissed explicitly in the narrative. Mookie doesn't actually want to think about the implications of violence and power, he wants a fantasy where every enactment of violence can be held as good because it was done by good people, or done to bad people who deserved it. An empire founded on love and compassion, and enlightened force born of peace and good intentions that spreads its righteous laser beams of justice onto the wicked.

Star power is Mookie writing a Chick track from a 90's neoliberal american culture perspective.

*There's a lot out there on the internets about how reading Star Trek as future communism really doesn't gel with the society we are presented. Just mentioned because of how clearly ST influence Starpower

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Aug 9, 2020

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

If Mookie were just a bad writer, I don't think I would find him as fascinating, but his particular bad writing pathologies are what bring me back, because reading between the lines you see how he gets to where he is now. This is just one of his direct reflections of the dissonance of modern US culture. He also has the obvious Maddona/Whore complex. And I think Star Power in particular shows he has a very uniquely american one, which is the nerd who still resents intellectuals to a certain degree. Mookie identifies as a nerd, but mostly for pop culture properties. He likes to think of himself as smart, but obviously feels insecure and overwhelmed by academic "nerds" knowing more about specific subjects. So characters like Beena and Doctor Brightman get this weird treatment where they aren't antagonists, but they still antagonize Danica at various points. The same cannot be said for purple lady, squid lady or the green frog dude. They are Mookie's fellow traveller nerds.

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Aug 9, 2020

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

The Little Death posted:

It has not come up yet in teh comic, but I'm going to spoil a bit of Rotten Red Rod's summaries by saying that the purple crime people planet (Axiosis) has a very interesting backstory:

Thanks for doing this, as that's not the kind of analysis I'm good at, so it's super interesting to see it examined from this angle. And I don't mind these spoilers at all - I would just prefer no one outright spoil the story beats before I get to them, especially the ones that reveal Prime Mookie Writing (TM) so I can have some fun dancing around them. The bios are totally fair game.

Edit: Actually no, that's not quite correct, I just remembered the next chapter (# 4) has some bios that totally spoil something big.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Aug 9, 2020

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Thanks for doing this, as that's not the kind of analysis I'm good at, so it's super interesting to see it examined from this angle. And I don't mind these spoilers at all - I would just prefer no one outright spoil the story beats before I get to them, especially the ones that reveal Prime Mookie Writing (TM) so I can have some fun dancing around them. The bios are totally fair game.

Edit: Actually no, that's not quite correct, I just remembered the next chapter (# 4) has some bios that totally spoil something big.

I don't think I'm going to jump ahead other than this, but Axiosis stuck with me when I read it, even as the rest of star power basically drains out of my brain for the details afterwards. Just the thought of Mookie writing that backstory, now almost 20 years after the start of the Iraq war, is a perfect lense to understand a lot of his writing.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Hologram dude and lady talked about how Danica had "love for all creatures" immediately after she violently slaughtered a giant worm.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Diplomacy over violence is also pretty funny as throughout most of the comic she's punching first thing. But she doesn't kill them so I guess that's diplomacy!

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

They're always about to do bad things, so she always has to step in. there's just no other option! Preemptive strike! She's perfectly diplomatic to the natives greet her like a celebrity and give her everything she needs though.

Also still can't tell whether or not the zel gux planets with their little elemental themed races are part of the millennium federation or not. Like who are they in relation to the federation, that apparently federation archaeologists study the ruins on their planet, but as far as we've seen none of the species of the system exists offworld in the federation.

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Aug 9, 2020

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah, all the planets they've been to in this chapter are in the federation, save the last one.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yeah, all the planets they've been to in this chapter are in the federation, save the last one.

It's a weird dynamic to set up for multiple reasons, but I really like the fact that The fish people could easily have instigated a situation where they murdered a millennium citizen, or Danica would have murdered a bunch of federation citizens, if Danica had failed their test. That would have been awkward.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I think Mookie was more focused on the whole Majesty/Magesty thing than having that scene actually make sense.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

An entire race which absolutely loves when someone makes a stupid pun and explains it is complete wish fulfillment on Mookie's part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

So he just metaphorically got bored and wandered away from the main story. I'm actually impressed.