Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

Ratjaculation posted:

Quote this and I'll post like a /r/childfree poster for the rest of the day

Do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
A legendary snipe.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Ratjaculation posted:

Quote this and I'll post like a /r/childfree poster for the rest of the day

TTerrible fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Aug 9, 2020

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

imagine all of the horrible things that wouldnt have happened if the millenium bug had killed civilisation as it was supposed to

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Vitamins posted:

imagine all of the horrible things that wouldnt have happened if the millenium bug had killed civilisation as it was supposed to

It's apparently coming back because predictably all the work done to fix it was half arsed and left to the future

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

But I thought that it was all a big hoax and nothing happened*?

*because of the precautions that were taken

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Jose posted:

It's apparently coming back because predictably all the work done to fix it was half arsed and left to the future

This isn't quiiiittee true. The 2038 bug isn't because the millennium bug wasn't patched properly. It's a much deeper problem in architecture of computer systems. 2038 is an order of magnitude worse too. Looking forward to it.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

quote:

The Year 2038 problem (also called Y2038 or Y2k38 or Unix Y2K) relates to representing time in many digital systems as the number of seconds passed since 00:00:00 UTC on 1 January 1970 and storing it as a signed 32-bit integer. Such implementations cannot encode times after 03:14:07 UTC on 19 January 2038.

lmao

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
I like epoch time, it makes me think of the 1970s. I wasn't alive then but I've seen the films and that

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Jose posted:

Some systems hosed up at the start of this year because the patch for them was to just keep year as a two digit range and apply a 20 year offset, assuming that would be long enough for a proper fix to be made (lol)

It meant that WWE 2K20 was down for a few weeks, which I'm sure was a welcome relief to those unlucky enough to be playing it

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
The exciting part is that some of it can't be fixed. Fixed data structures like uh the FAT32 filesystem (iirc) just will stop working properly.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
I mean we have 18 years to sort it out and i'm p sure we can trust national governments to deal in good time with a very expensive technical problem that the general public doesn't understand

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Most things will be 64 bit by then, but I imagine there'll be some really important legacy systems that can't be easily replaced. I wonder if it'll be easier to just reset them to 1970 and deal with whatever fuckery that causes.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

crispix posted:

I mean we have 18 years to sort it out and i'm p sure we can trust national governments to deal in good time with very a very expensive technical problem that the general public doesn't understand

Plenty of computer systems deal with data regarding things happening more than ten years away. It needs to start being fixed now.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
sorry but i am a committed cyberpunk, let chaos reign!!!!! :hehe:

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
You'll regret this!!!

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Party Boat posted:

It meant that WWE 2K20 was down for a few weeks, which I'm sure was a welcome relief to those unlucky enough to be playing it
i kind of want to buy a wrasslin game but i have no idea who anybody is any more

i would like one like wwe all stars where its classic wrestlers i have heard of with a couple of modern ones shoehorned in to make them seem more important

just please for the love of god do not use the 2020 engine

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
who's your favourite out of big daddy and giant haystacks

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

captain scarlet

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

and then old battlestar galactica on the telly as we warm up in front of the fire after swimming while me mam starts the sunday dinner

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
i think i would prefer a wrestling management game like champ man crossed with theme park or something

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Bobby Deluxe posted:

and then old battlestar galactica on the telly as we warm up in front of the fire after swimming while me mam starts the sunday dinner

new bsg was almost 20 years ago :/

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

transformers joints clicking into place

penny mix up from the sweet shop with the video rental stand

the smell of panini stickers

banana medicine

all these things will be lost like micro machines on the beach

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Posting on page 2000 of the UK thread

Happy thread birthday everyone

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Most things will be 64 bit by then, but I imagine there'll be some really important legacy systems that can't be easily replaced. I wonder if it'll be easier to just reset them to 1970 and deal with whatever fuckery that causes.

The problem is that you have code in abandoned libraries that are typed to int(32), embedded systems coded by companies long-gone, developed in obscure languages or frameworks you can no longer get a license for. It's not just a case of typing `ALTER TABLE delivery_date ALTER COLUMN date bigint` into a database and it's all fixed. In many cases very expensive and bespoke software needs to be completely recoded. The company I work for still has a handful of customers running a 16-bit version of DOS software we developed 20 years ago because it's the only thing that works with the even older equipment in their warehouse (however, the software still thinks it's 1980 because the fix was just to modify the date on the computer).

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

CancerCakes posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcWOviMI6Lk

don't click this

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

CancerCakes posted:

thread now has the millenial bug and must be closed down

you don't want to know what bug will pop up on page 2020

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

aren't there a bunch of legacy systems that are still in use today that were written in the late 60s/early 70s in like COBOL or something and haven't ever been updated because if it aint broke don't fix it plus money

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

do click it

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

https://youtu.be/Y6Rms5J7nGI

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

Jose posted:

my only personal experience with weird computer date fuckery was my dads psion 2 organiser that wouldnt let you select a date beyond 1/1/2000 and just rolled around to 1970 again

im looking forward to legacy government and technology systems held together with string and duct tape breaking horrendously in the near future

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

oh no computer posted:

aren't there a bunch of legacy systems that are still in use today that were written in the late 60s/early 70s in like COBOL or something and haven't ever been updated because if it aint broke don't fix it plus money

there are and it's often a bit more complicated than ain't broke don't fix it. A lot of businesses have ancient systems that cost a fortune in maintenance and that they'd very much like to replace but can't because they're critical to the business and enmeshed in its operations and the people who understand them are either not around anymore or won't cooperate with replacing it

the public sector is full of them too. a lot of the work in NHS IT involves maintaining and getting stuff out of and into ancient systems

crispix fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Aug 9, 2020

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
Gonna buy wwe and make all of you wrestle in a rumble to see who my new favourite poster will be

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

NotJustANumber99 posted:

i think i would prefer a wrestling management game like champ man crossed with theme park or something

If I knew anything about game design or dev I would make this phone game and make $$$

Your wrestlers all have stamina meters but you can feed them "energy pills" to get them back in the ring faster

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
So this is why Elon Musk wants to go to Mars, to escape the wrath of the machines. I'm sure it'll all be fine so long as we pay Don Cummings companies hundreds of billions to fix it

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

NotJustANumber99 posted:

This used to exist but it was very easy to be successful I found

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

the police use an old dos inventory system for their calls because it was designed back in the falklands war and as such is night on impossible to hack

microsoft have convinced them to upgrade to a mess that has been cobbled together from multiple other systems and probably contains a huge amount of security vulnerabilities as a result

also the text is tiny and is giving people migraines

its fine. everything is ok and police databases are about to be laid wide open to any criminals organised enough to pay for a hacker

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Fingerless Gloves posted:

Gonna buy wwe and make all of you wrestle in a rumble to see who my new favourite poster will be

you don't need to spend 40 quid to watch looke and vitamins pin ratty down

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I'm pretty sure this is a thing that already exists, but they're homemade and so are basically text adventures

Some of the WWE games used to have a 'GM mode' or something similar, where you sign dudes and book matches, and just like in real life your job is to stop the gradual slide of viewers so that you're not beaten in the ratings by a man wrestling with his hands in his pockets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Page 2000 posting