Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

veni veni veni posted:

If being able to use virtual desktop to play PC games is actually functionally as good as using it plugged in then, yes I probably made a mistake. But I was always under the impression that wireless PCVR had issues so I didn't really take it into consideration. I could be totally wrong about that. Tbh if that is true I might considering returning it...

And no, basically the whole Quest library is stuff I have already played or would rather play with better graphics so it really doesn't have an appeal to me.

You didn't make a mistake. People who say its the same have some crazy tolerance for jank or are incredibly lucky with wifi tweaking. I personally cannot get it to a point I'd "prefer" it over any other headset over virtual desktop (Neither can most people I know tbh. Its usable for some stuff but not for everything). Its fine to record some content, but playing a game for real? No way. Gross.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Aug 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah wireless streaming to the Quest is a really cool technology demonstrator but that's about it. Some people claim amazing results but I've read up on it and fiddled with it and it's still medium level jankiness

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sigourney Cheevos posted:

Plus Quest seems to be the only product Oculus is interested in supporting further. Rift S still doesn't have finger tracking, which was just a free update to the Quest.

The Rift S physically can't do hand tracking because its cameras aren't in the right spots. There was gonna be an adapter at one point, I believe someone in this thread even beta-tested it, but I'd wager they've just elected to drop the Rift S in light of Oculus Link.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

EbolaIvory posted:

You didn't make a mistake. People who say its the same have some crazy tolerance for jank or are incredibly lucky with wifi tweaking. I personally cannot get it to a point I'd "prefer" it over any other headset over virtual desktop (Neither can most people I know tbh. Its usable for some stuff but not for everything). Its fine to record some content, but playing a game for real? No way. Gross.

Or maybe you have a terrible Wifi environment.

It's perfectly playable for me and I haven't tweaked any settings on my Spectrum provided router, and it's a lot more reliable than my Link cable which tends to suffer from lovely async problems too often. It's also great because you don't need to have the Oculus software running on your PC taking up horsepower.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Hadlock posted:

Yeah wireless streaming to the Quest is a really cool technology demonstrator but that's about it. Some people claim amazing results but I've read up on it and fiddled with it and it's still medium level jankiness

Pretty much. And depending on how much time you've spent in a headset, or your expectations are, or how much jank your brain can handle, you may have totally dif experiences.

I know if I threw my non gamer friends into a quest with virtual desktop instead of native apps, ugh naw. I cannot imagine my s/o doing Virtual Desktop anything. She loves her quest and like, even if the graphics on stuff are better it feels so weird.

sigher posted:

Or maybe you have a terrible Wifi environment.

It's perfectly playable for me and I haven't tweaked any settings on my Spectrum provided router, and it's a lot more reliable than my Link cable which tends to suffer from lovely async problems too often. It's also great because you don't need to have the Oculus software running on your PC taking up horsepower.

Could be. Its all in the same room, but i've tried not only my overkill nighthawk, ive tried my previous ac class router with the same/similar results of "wobble". I've gone so far as to disable every wifi device in the house outside of the quest, router in same room, etc etc.

As someone who does this for a living, its not like I don't want the experience to be better. I have to actually play these games through this poo poo to make any actual kind of content creation happen so its not like I havent hosed with it.

This is my point though. Its just not reliable for everyone to recommend it as a primary source for PCVR. Its "Fine" for you, and ofc theres going to be plenty of goons who say its fine or accept the level of jank as normal. This thread is filled with enthusiasts and people who can and will deal with the bullshit, but pretending there isn't problems is silly. I'm someone who don't mind a bit of tinker, but even after some tweaking its still just not the same experience. Its cool you like it. Just understand its really not for everyone, and not everyone has the same luck you apparently have so letting people know the BS exists should probably be part of the blind rear end recommendations people give for the quest.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

EbolaIvory posted:

how much jank your brain can handle

I am pretty sure its mostly this. some people can adapt to the controller lag just fine, while other people will have a disconnect in their brain that makes it unplayable.

the latter seem to be the same people who notice individual frame drops

I wouldn't play beat saber or pistol whip on VD, but for slow games where that slight lag isn't going to hurt you(I played Alyx through and never noticed outside of a couple performance stutters), and for the rest link exists, if its not acting lovely today

I also wonder if there might not be some small differences in the headsets effecting it

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
If you ever wondered how VR controller tracking stacks up, A research group in Germany measured them all and the Cosmos is bit of an outlier to no-one's surprise. While Lighthouses take the lead, the other inside-out options generally aren't too bad either with sub-millimeter discrepancies.

The Vive Cosmos, however, on average couldn't get more accurate than within 2 millimeters and was even visually noticeable in some tests. A test that is a robotic arm repeating the same motion repeatedly to generate an average value.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

The cosmos just seemed like a massive gently caress-up from it's inception. The headset isn't great either.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Does anyone else get a notice that "antivirus software has blocked installation" on some random Oculus store apps? I know it's not even the AV software because I flat out uninstalled Mcaffee and tried to install the apps before installing my new AV and it still did the same thing.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
After I finally sorted the WiFi and got to 30ms-ish, playing wirelessly is working very well. It was disgusting before. Obviously not as fast as running it natively on the Quest, but the lag is minimal. I'm someone who stopped playing CSGO on a 60Hz because it was impossible. I also find locking to 60fps instead of 72fps on in the VD settings super noticeable, so wouldn't say I have huge tolerance for jankyness etc. I'm not even considering a cable now as wireless gameplay is amazing.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

Does anyone else get a notice that "antivirus software has blocked installation" on some random Oculus store apps? I know it's not even the AV software because I flat out uninstalled Mcaffee and tried to install the apps before installing my new AV and it still did the same thing.

Just use the built-in Windows AV. Everything else sucks.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

MrOnBicycle posted:

After I finally sorted the WiFi and got to 30ms-ish, playing wirelessly is working very well. It was disgusting before. Obviously not as fast as running it natively on the Quest, but the lag is minimal. I'm someone who stopped playing CSGO on a 60Hz because it was impossible. I also find locking to 60fps instead of 72fps on in the VD settings super noticeable, so wouldn't say I have huge tolerance for jankyness etc. I'm not even considering a cable now as wireless gameplay is amazing.

So, what did you do to fix your problem?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It wasn't even the AV though. It was some bug with the Oculus App. I found a fix on reddit. Very weird but easy to bypass.

I dunno, it just auto installed Mcafee cause I just bought the computer then I deleted it and added Avira. I didn't even know Windows had built in AV software tbh. I've been using a mac for like 17 years, so I haven't thought about Antivirus software since The Killers were popular.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Yeah the lag introduced by VD is noticeable, mostly during sudden movements, but it works. Also Beat Saber is fine on the Quest since modding songs in there still exists and the game is not about graphics anyway. Plus you can use the Sidequest store to load apps like calorie tracking which is pretty cool.
While I'm sure that there are options that do specific things better, the range of possibilities that the Quest gives plus the portability and instant setup is what gives it that edge and makes it easy to recommend.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Also yo this Serious Sam Last Hope is friggin hard.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Turin Turambar posted:

So, what did you do to fix your problem?

Basically stopped using the poo poo ISP router for the home LAN, and instead used a AC68U running freshtomato as an access point, with my PC wired to the AC68U and then using the best free 5GHz channel for my local area. The ISP router which I have to use for WAN access is forwarding it to the AC68U. 5GHz wlan is pretty much dedicated to the Quest, and it's about 4meters from the play area. I pretty much only notice lag when doing very quick moves (which I never do in games). I mean Walking Dead is a game that relies on good lagless tracking (before I fixed the problem, it was super unplayable because I couldn't use the melee weapons). Now it works well every time. I get a slight screen door effect when doing very quick turn (again, nothing I do when playing).

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I wonder how much of the complaints also come from trying to play on high settings? I keep anything I'm doing remote play on set to balanced in the stream settings and med/low on the graphics, just because obviously I have to choose between visuals and responsiveness. Shame the quest caps at such relatively low bandwidth

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

That 866mbps speed cap is hardware, right? Nothing software can do about it?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Great Beer posted:

That 866mbps speed cap is hardware, right? Nothing software can do about it?

I saw it implied upthread that it may be a software cap, and its possible Oculus might open it up, but that seemed to just be goon speculation.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is there some way to control LA Noire with the sticks vs that stupid arm waggle? It looks like there is supposed to be an option but it's grayed out in the settings so I cant even look to see if it's there. Also wouldnt mind using the stick to drive. The controls in this game stink.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
VR Megathread: the controls in this game stink.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
For the next 17 hours Elite: Dangerous is on chrono.gg for 7,5$ if you need your space trucking fix in VR.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Does that get you a steam key?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I had some fun last night playing with the Nvidia VR funhouse, now I think I just want a simple arcade-like shooter. Superhot and Pistol Whip seem kinda neat, but before I toss $25 at it I wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions. Free is fine, I'm not looking for an A+++ title or anything, just want to shoot at some VR tin cans with my BB gun. I don't want realistic guns where I have to do every single little action to reload it, for instance.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Bad Munki posted:

Does that get you a steam key?

The website says you get a Steam Key.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is the site legit?

E: nm yeah they send you a steam key right away and take paypal.

Good find. Thanks!

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Aug 10, 2020

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Nocheez posted:

I had some fun last night playing with the Nvidia VR funhouse, now I think I just want a simple arcade-like shooter. Superhot and Pistol Whip seem kinda neat, but before I toss $25 at it I wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions. Free is fine, I'm not looking for an A+++ title or anything, just want to shoot at some VR tin cans with my BB gun. I don't want realistic guns where I have to do every single little action to reload it, for instance.

It's not free, but Space Pirate Trainer is about as arcade-like shooter as it gets. It's the sort of thing you'd have imagined as "the future" while playing 1980s arcade games.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Shine posted:

It's not free, but Space Pirate Trainer is about as arcade-like shooter as it gets. It's the sort of thing you'd have imagined as "the future" while playing 1980s arcade games.

Bingo, this looks perfect. And it's $15, even better.

Thanks!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Nocheez posted:

Crisis Vrigade is pretty decent as an arcadey shooter, although it can be pretty tough.

Superhot and Pistol Whip are far superior to it or Space Pirate though, get those first.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Nocheez posted:

I love pistol whip, and remember that oculus/steam has a good refund policy so you can just try all of them and refund the ones you hate

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Does their refund policy apply to stuff purchased from other storefronts like Humble or are you just SOL?

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

Does their refund policy apply to stuff purchased from other storefronts like Humble or are you just SOL?

All refund policies exclude keys bought elsewhere so you're SOL in a situation like that.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

sorry to be a party pooper but it's better to pirate games than to buy them from key sites. those are (very) often coming from stolen credit cards and other similarly shady stuff

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Inacio posted:

sorry to be a party pooper but it's better to pirate games than to buy them from key sites. those are (very) often coming from stolen credit cards and other similarly shady stuff

There are a pair of shady Russian ones. The rest are legit, as far as I know. Please report evidence before saying famous, established sites like gamersgate or chrono.gg or greenmangaming are even worse than pirating. You need a lil' more than 'hearsay' for that.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-bI2xy-ukA

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Turin Turambar posted:

There are a pair of shady Russian ones. The rest are legit, as far as I know. Please report evidence before saying famous, established sites like gamersgate or chrono.gg or greenmangaming are even worse than pirating. You need a lil' more than 'hearsay' for that.

i jumped to conclusions when i read "steam key"

mb, chrono is legit

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Hi there VR thread. I need some help. I'm really excited for Star Wars Squadrons coming out in October and I think I'd like to finally take the plunge into VR (X-Wing Alliance now supporting VR through mods helps with that). However, I have no goddamn idea what system to get and wanted to ask for some help as I find all the information really confusing and unclear, having never actually used VR before other than some Samsung phone demo at a trade show (which was quite cool).

From what I've read itt and online it seems the best choices are either the Oculus S, Valve Index :retrogames: or waiting for the new HP Reverb G2. I have no idea which of these is going to be the best for my needs, can anyone advise? Is the Valve Index really worth the $1000?

System Specs

i7 8700k
16 GB RAM
AMD RX 580

Games I'll Play

Star Wars Squadrons
X-Wing Alliance
Half-Life Alyx
Talos Principle
No Man's Sky?
Any other games people recommend?
Any other older games w/ mods that are good?

How I'll Play

Sitting down most likely? I have space enough to move around in my office while I play but that seems like a great way to bump into my desk/bookshelves and hurt myself. I also don't expect I'll use it with anything but my PC.

Thank you all for the help!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
If you're mostly gonna be sitting, the Reverb G2 should do you just fine. Wait til it releases to get final word on actual reviews of course, but all indications suggest it should be one of the best headsets on the market.

Shoefish
Sep 29, 2005
captain haggis mcnipplesworthy
I can highly recommend the rift s as excellent price vs performance, and more comfortable then the quest. There are a tonne of quality VR games, I'd recommend superhot VR and pistol whip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you're mostly gonna be sitting, the Reverb G2 should do you just fine. Wait til it releases to get final word on actual reviews of course, but all indications suggest it should be one of the best headsets on the market.

Awesome, thanks for the advice.