Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
That better not be Columbus!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.

a new study bible! posted:

I enjoyed that my first time watching Sopranos occurred alongside the legitimate tearing down of Columbus statues.

https://twitter.com/sopranosnocnxt/status/1183859425414508544

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It was always funny to see the guys' vision of Italy skewered.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Dawgstar posted:

It was always funny to see the guys' vision of Italy skewered.

They're proud to exclaim that they're 100% Italian and then experience culture shock when they go to Italy.

In a way that's how I see most hyphenated Americans whose families have lived in the US for generations.

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.

Vichan posted:

They're proud to exclaim that they're 100% Italian and then experience culture shock when they go to Italy.

In a way that's how I see most hyphenated Americans whose families have lived in the US for generations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-eHk4RiIso

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Every so often I think of this scene and smile :)

https://twitter.com/sopranosnocnxt/status/1095715960370024450?cxt=HHwWgMCj6fmGtegjAAAA

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

I knew it before I clicked.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

BiggerBoat posted:

I knew it before I clicked.

Commendatori

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
So was Jimmy Alteri a rat or did he just up with the consequences for Pussy?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I cant believe there is a discussion around this. His "oh god" or whatever after Silvio says why dont you call for help on your radio says it all for me. He was caught and he knew it

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

codo27 posted:

I cant believe there is a discussion around this. His "oh god" or whatever after Silvio says why dont you call for help on your radio says it all for me. He was caught and he knew it

Or it was because he knew he was going to die and that was the natural reaction.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sab0921 posted:

Or it was because he knew he was going to die and that was the natural reaction.

Remember that bizarre story he told Tony in the basement about fingerprinting technology directly relating to the Brazilian money? And how he also was calling for meetings with the other captains to go over stuff they already knew?

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

codo27 posted:

The point of Jimmy being caught isn’t that we care about Jimmy, it’s that it throws you off the trail of Pussy also being a rat. Who give a poo poo about Jimmy.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
In the 2001 movie hannibal lecter goes around saying commendatore to guys and it kills me

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

Remember that bizarre story he told Tony in the basement about fingerprinting technology directly relating to the Brazilian money? And how he also was calling for meetings with the other captains to go over stuff they already knew?

Yeah that and the "oh god" scene all but showed the wire on his chest in my opinion. Tony obviously has a huge personal stake in wanting to believe Jimmy's the rat instead of Pussy but Junior sees it too and I don't think he would have given a gently caress about Pussy enough to see something that wasn't there. I guess they technically leave enough room for a little doubt, but it seems about 99% sure that they were both rats, Jimmy was just clumsier about it.

Sab0921 posted:

Maybe, but he still tried to go down swinging even while Chris and Silvio had him at gunpoint, it wasn't until they directly accused him of being an informant that the floor completely fell out from under him and he abandoned all hope.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I think Jimmy is about as unambiguously a rat as is possible without a scene with the FBI.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Bip Roberts posted:

I think Jimmy is about as unambiguously a rat as is possible without a scene with the FBI.

Maybe not this is the 2nd/3rd time I've seen it mentioned in this thread in as many months.

For me the scene at the meeting with him puffing away on the cigar while everyone around is side-eying him was the clincher for me. Add on top all the unusual activity in the episode it's almost too obvious, like the entire point is if he isn't a rat he's acting exactly like a rat would and trying to drag up old business constantly so at that point what is the difference to Tony and crew?

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Jimmy also brings up the Brendan Filone hit to Junior.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Vichan posted:

Jimmy also brings up the Brendan Filone hit to Junior.

At a funeral for somebody else no less. Jimmy was a rat or forgot how the Mafia did, like, anything.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Skip also mentions "Jimmy Altieri ate the pill for you" in the second season when they first show that Pussy really was a rat all along. And at one point when Skip is complaining about Pussy's mood swings to Cubitso, the latter mentions something along the lines of how important "CW-16" is after a major recent loss, which would point to the death of a capo that had been flipped.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
just finished Second Opinion. i get that carmela is completely clueless about how the real world works but what did she honestly believe was going to happen to Meadow if they didn't donate to the college? she acts like it'll destroy her future, like they'll tank her grades or something. it's really odd

is she so desperate to feel like a part of high society and toss money around that she's convinced herself it's a crisis?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I think the idea with Jimmy was to show that Tony and crew are looking at it the wrong way. They think they've got A rat, and now that they've exposed this one, single rat they've solved the problem. Regardless of whether Jimmy actually is a rat(I believe he was), their focus on him left them vulnerable in other areas(Adriana, for example). Their mistake is in thinking that the FBI really values their sources, when in fact they've constantly got new people being turned over, eventually exposed and killed, and on and on. Just like the mafia, the FBI has no problem chewing people up and spitting them out when it serves their purposes.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Basebf555 posted:

Just like the mafia, the FBI has no problem chewing people up and spitting them out when it serves their purposes.

Yeah that part has always felt hosed up to me. The FBI has no qualms about putting its informants in dangerous situations just because they're so desperate to take down the mob. And they try to justify it to themselves and those informants by saying that the informants are criminals anyways and essentially made their own beds so it's not the FBI's fault that those criminals have to be put into dangerous spots to try and get away without jail time.

They're also often fairly incompetent at actually handling the informants. Skip for example gets next to nothing useful out of Pussy.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Ginette Reno posted:

Yeah that part has always felt hosed up to me. The FBI has no qualms about putting its informants in dangerous situations just because they're so desperate to take down the mob. And they try to justify it to themselves and those informants by saying that the informants are criminals anyways and essentially made their own beds so it's not the FBI's fault that those criminals have to be put into dangerous spots to try and get away without jail time.

They're also often fairly incompetent at actually handling the informants. Skip for example gets next to nothing useful out of Pussy.

This is extremely true to life. Police put informants in danger all the time by dangling huge sentences over their heads. This case always springs to mind

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Rachel_Hoffman

quote:

Hoffman was under drug court supervision for possession of 25 g[3] (0.9 oz.) of cannabis discovered during a traffic stop on February 22, 2007.[4] On April 17, 2008,[5] Tallahassee, Florida, police searched her apartment and uncovered another 151.7 g (5.328 oz.) of cannabis,[3] and four ecstasy pills. Hoffman faced a possible prison sentence if charged and convicted on criminal charges related to the discovered drugs. Police attempted to persuade her to identify other marijuana dealers to avoid the charges. She refused. The police then pressured her to act as a confidential informant in a drug sting operation instead in exchange for not being charged with additional drug charges. The purported goal of the operation was to buy 1,500 ecstasy pills, 2 oz. of cocaine, and two handguns, which was contrary to department policy, using $13,000 cash in a buy–bust operation. Hoffman's family stated that all three buys were very out-of-character for her. She did not know the two men she was to meet, but was reportedly eager to cooperate with the police operation and made suggestions as to how the operation should be conducted.

Two narcotics officers arranged for the drug buy at a specific location and were providing security for the buy. That was later deemed to be insufficient manpower to protect the informant and still apprehend the suspects.

While she was at the drug buy, with the policemen monitoring, the two suspects changed the location of the buy. She was informed not to follow the suspects to the new location, but technical issues prevented her from actually receiving the instructions. Her police handlers lost track of her when she agreed with the suspects to change the plans and left the buy spot with the two suspects in their stolen silver BMW. While in transit, the two suspects allegedly executed her with the gun she was supposed to buy.[6]

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Low Desert Punk posted:

just finished Second Opinion. i get that carmela is completely clueless about how the real world works but what did she honestly believe was going to happen to Meadow if they didn't donate to the college? she acts like it'll destroy her future, like they'll tank her grades or something. it's really odd

is she so desperate to feel like a part of high society and toss money around that she's convinced herself it's a crisis?

More that Carmela only thinks things happen when you spend a lot of money. If they didn't spent a lot of money on Meadow's college then it would be The Worst Thing Ever.

Ginette Reno posted:

And they also had Ray Curto on the wire for God knows how long without much to show for it. That's two captains and a long established soldier that didn't give them anything except some fake airline tickets that didn't pan out.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Aug 5, 2020

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Dawgstar posted:

More that Carmela only thinks things happen when you spend a lot of money. If they didn't spent a lot of money on Meadow's college then it would be The Worst Thing Ever.

I took this as her life contracting so much with the kids leaving the house that she literally has nothing to spend money on anymore.

Also, it's a sad token of legitimacy. Getting up to $50,000 gets them on some dumb donors' wall or something like that.

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.

Ginette Reno posted:

https://twitter.com/sopranosnocnxt/status/1093929759656923136

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Also, more prestigious colleges and universities in the US will absolutely lean on more wealthy parents and insinuate that their child would do better with just a small gift to the school. Carmela has already been indoctrinated to the idea that everything will be better as long as you throw money at it. And I think, after a while, it wasn't even about that for her. It was that she knew he had paid out ridiculous amounts of money to widows, and that the gaudy loving emerald ring he gave to her was the same amount that Columbia was requesting from them, $50,000.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

The mark of a great show is when it has a quote for every situation and the Sopranos definitely qualifies.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Low Desert Punk posted:

Upper middle class people who didn’t inherit their wealth are very insecure, and there are entire departments at major universities who’s job it is to squeeze as much money out of them as possible. It’s usually called “development” or some bullshit. It’s basically sales, but instead of selling an actual product your selling possible social clout for your possible golden child.

Carmela feeling that pressure to donate was one of the most believable storylines from the show. The fact that they wen to 50k and not like, a modest 1 or 2k was totally plausible since everyone involved there knows that the sopranos have a mountain of fun play money.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

hi liter posted:

Upper middle class people who didn’t inherit their wealth are very insecure, and there are entire departments at major universities who’s job it is to squeeze as much money out of them as possible. It’s usually called “development” or some bullshit. It’s basically sales, but instead of selling an actual product your selling possible social clout for your possible golden child.

Yeah, Tony was right when he calls it a shakedown, if more polite than when he does it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Basebf555 posted:

I think the idea with Jimmy was to show that Tony and crew are looking at it the wrong way. They think they've got A rat, and now that they've exposed this one, single rat they've solved the problem. Regardless of whether Jimmy actually is a rat(I believe he was), their focus on him left them vulnerable in other areas(Adriana, for example). Their mistake is in thinking that the FBI really values their sources, when in fact they've constantly got new people being turned over, eventually exposed and killed, and on and on. Just like the mafia, the FBI has no problem chewing people up and spitting them out when it serves their purposes.

Well, yeah, but it also gave Tony an out for facing up to something he didn't want to admit and something he didn't want to do.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
i've gathered that people really hate AJ's character and maybe he'll get worse, I dunno (finishing up season 3) but i love him. some of his line readings are loving hysterical. like the entire gutters scene and him telling Meadow about Jackie Jr

"They shot him. He's, like, dead."

also him getting Carmela The Matrix for her birthday and immediately scurrying off with the disc once everyone's distracted so he can watch it

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

AJs Great

so thats a crack ho! :haw:

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

The title of that video though, yikes. Way to miss the point.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I'd hate aj a whole lot more if the show was present day cause you know that little bitch would be trying to lazily YouTube or tiktok his way to success like every other dumb lazy kid today. In fact it would probably end up being Tony's downfall cause you know he would be leaking poo poo through it

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Vichan posted:

The title of that video though, yikes. Way to miss the point.

That happens with Tony a lot, they really miss the point/irony of the Gary Coopah/ITALIANS WORK HARD AND DONT COMPLAIN stuff on the show.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

codo27 posted:

I'd hate aj a whole lot more if the show was present day cause you know that little bitch would be trying to lazily YouTube or tiktok his way to success like every other dumb lazy kid today. In fact it would probably end up being Tony's downfall cause you know he would be leaking poo poo through it

"Twitch?" Tony putting a hand to his ear. "Instead of college you're going to Twitch to play video games? Excuse me? Where's Twitch?"

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Like and subscribe? Try Ayyyyy and Fugghetaboutit, it's the Italian version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Matt Zerella posted:

That happens with Tony a lot, they really miss the point/irony of the Gary Coopah/ITALIANS WORK HARD AND DONT COMPLAIN stuff on the show.

Probably my favorite of these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbbMIg-Aw8E&t=73s

Vito appears to be drat-near asleep at the beginning of that scene.