Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

phosdex posted:

Dan Harmon was replaced after Season 3. And the complaints about season 4 were enough that they brought him back for s5 and 6.

He sexually harassed Megan Ganz, one of the writers, and was fired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

clown shoes posted:

He sexually harassed Megan Ganz, one of the writers, and was fired.

I can't find any info on that. A lot of seperate sources for his being fired for creative differences, and a very public record of the accusations, confession, apology and pardon, but nothing linking the two events in any causal way. Do you have a source for that?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah he wasn’t fired for the Ganz thing. It played no part. Although it probably should have done!

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

a new study bible! posted:

Wife and I have binged a lot over the pandemic, but the show I continue to think about is Mad Men.

I still think about Mad Men and I watched it when it originally aired. Top 5 show of all time for me.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Qmass posted:

been rewatching Hannibal. Not really binging because I don't want to dream about this stuff.

I forgot how compelling and cohesive a serial they had made, paying off across 2 seasons, while pretending to be a procedural.

Still my favorite show.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
My wife and I started binging Scrubs after we finished Happy Endings and Travelers. After a brief break to speed through Penny Dreadful: City of Angels, we're up to Season 8 of Scrubs, and those who warned that Seasons 7 and 8 aren't as good as what came before are right. The Season 7 finale (Dr. Cox narrating the fantasy story to his son) was my least-favorite episode of the show so far. Season 8 has redeemed itself a bit after that, but we weren't prepared for all the familiar faces and big names that joined the cast: Courtney Cox, Aziz Ansari, Eliza Coupe, and Taran Killam.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Aug 8, 2020

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

nate fisher posted:

I still think about Mad Men and I watched it when it originally aired. Top 5 show of all time for me.

Yeah it was really something. I think it may be my number one. Incredible finale.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Finished season 2 of Legends of Tomorrow.

great drunk show. I love the monster of the week stuff but anything about a larger mythos is really bad. being drunk makes it all make sense

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
S2 legends of tomorrow spoilers

the crossover episode was the worst television I have ever watched

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

phosdex posted:

Dan Harmon was replaced after Season 3. And the complaints about season 4 were enough that they brought him back for s5 and 6.

huh, I did not know this or the rest of it (which is Not Good.) I'll probably try to push through into S5 anyway, though. I still want to see how everything pans out.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

TheAardvark posted:

S2 legends of tomorrow spoilers

the crossover episode was the worst television I have ever watched

At least there's a good payoff to it later.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

The Breakfast Sampler posted:

I'll probably try to push through into S5 anyway, though. I still want to see how everything pans out.

I think season 6 is a return to form and Keith David (spoilered in case you don't want to know who joins) is an amazing addition to the crew

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

My wife and I started binging Scrubs after we finished Happy Endings and Travelers. After a brief break to speed through Penny Dreadful: City of Angels, we're up to Season 8 of Scrubs, and those who warned that Seasons 7 and 8 aren't as good as what came before are right. The Season 7 finale (Dr. Cox narrating the fantasy story to his son) was my least-favorite episode of the show so far. Season 8 has redeemed itself a bit after that, but we weren't prepared for all the familiar faces and big names that joined the cast: Courtney Cox, Aziz Ansari, Eliza Coupe, and Taran Killam.

It’s 6 and 7 that aren’t as good. 8 is a big return to form.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

It’s 6 and 7 that aren’t as good. 8 is a big return to form.

That tracks, then. I was okay with 6 until Kim (Elizabeth Banks) lied to JD about having a miscarriage. That's when I stopped watching originally, and now that I've seen the rest, I think the season never felt the same after that uncharacteristic shock to the system. Dr. Kelso and the Janitor, who I've never liked, both seemed more sadistic and cartoonishly evil, too.

8 is already better than 7 so far, so I am relieved it continues to improve.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Watched the second series of Doom Patrol, which I found to be much stronger than the first one. Less uneven, with some great performances and storylines. Really looking forward to the third instalment, or, one can only hope, a whole bunch of episodes of Steele & Stone.

Out of boredom I've dug around for shows to watch and gave Wynonna Earp, Cursed, Warrior Nun and The Order a go. The first two were sadly boring and I gave up on them after a few episodes in; Wynonna Earp being too procedural (though it certainly has fun moments) and Cursed which, even though it clearly has a pretty good budget and production value, was somehow unable to engage me at all with its story.

Warrior Nun also has good production values and a decent CGI budget, and the lead actress has the "happy go lucky teenager" act down to a t, but it did not live up to my expectations of, you know, ninja nuns fighting demons. That, and there were a whole bunch of things that did not make sense, story wise. I did end up watching the whole series though.

The Order, finally, proved somewhat of a guilty pleasure to watch: it is clearly made on a shoestring budget and with some people straight out of acting class, but after a few episodes to find its tone, it becomes fairly entertaining - though hardly groundbreaking.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Meatgrinder posted:

Watched the second series of Doom Patrol, which I found to be much stronger than the first one. Less uneven, with some great performances and storylines. Really looking forward to the third instalment, or, one can only hope, a whole bunch of episodes of Steele & Stone.

Out of boredom I've dug around for shows to watch and gave Wynonna Earp, Cursed, Warrior Nun and The Order a go. The first two were sadly boring and I gave up on them after a few episodes in; Wynonna Earp being too procedural (though it certainly has fun moments) and Cursed which, even though it clearly has a pretty good budget and production value, was somehow unable to engage me at all with its story.

Warrior Nun also has good production values and a decent CGI budget, and the lead actress has the "happy go lucky teenager" act down to a t, but it did not live up to my expectations of, you know, ninja nuns fighting demons. That, and there were a whole bunch of things that did not make sense, story wise. I did end up watching the whole series though.

The Order, finally, proved somewhat of a guilty pleasure to watch: it is clearly made on a shoestring budget and with some people straight out of acting class, but after a few episodes to find its tone, it becomes fairly entertaining - though hardly groundbreaking.

You'll like Monkey King.

Just finished the second season and it's a super super fun Xena clone.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Open Source Idiom posted:

You'll like Monkey King.

Cheers, I'll check it out!

Also forgot that I had missed Letterkenny 8 when it came out and just watched it; glad to see the word play keeps on trucking and Bonny McMurray keeps getting more screen time.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

That tracks, then. I was okay with 6 until Kim (Elizabeth Banks) lied to JD about having a miscarriage. That's when I stopped watching originally, and now that I've seen the rest, I think the season never felt the same after that uncharacteristic shock to the system. Dr. Kelso and the Janitor, who I've never liked, both seemed more sadistic and cartoonishly evil, too.

8 is already better than 7 so far, so I am relieved it continues to improve.

Yeah, 6 and 7 are frequently needlessly cruel.
There's an episode where JD is taped to the ceiling and the punchline is that JD realizes how he is a bad friend and his friends are right to be sick of him. But at that point he is homeless, framed for a DUI, had just been told that his girlfriend had a miscarriage, and his friends all act like he is a burden.

In a show that is mostly about good people dealing with lovely things, a buddy tv show, those two seasons felt needlessly cruel.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

joepinetree posted:

Yeah, 6 and 7 are frequently needlessly cruel.
There's an episode where JD is taped to the ceiling and the punchline is that JD realizes how he is a bad friend and his friends are right to be sick of him. But at that point he is homeless, framed for a DUI, had just been told that his girlfriend had a miscarriage, and his friends all act like he is a burden.

In a show that is mostly about good people dealing with lovely things, a buddy tv show, those two seasons felt needlessly cruel.

I'm glad it wasn't just us. Then of course I misspoke in my original post. Season 8 is already more hopeful with the retired Kelso actually getting along with people, JD and Elliot happy together (after she finally got mocking poor Keith out of her system), and even perennial punching bag Ted finding a girlfriend. Plus, we're back to better stories about doctors being doctors, and they're definitely fleshing out this new crew of interns better.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Meatgrinder posted:

Haven’t seen Cursed and am only part through Season 2 of The Order but I agree with everything you say here.

We just watched S1 of Riviera on Amazon Prime. It felt a little too long and some of the plot was a little hand-wavy, but it wasn’t terrible if you want a slow burn “uncovering the secrets of a rich, dysfunctional family” story. Cast is pretty solid. I’m glad they avoided the obvious plot twist that I thought they were going to drop. Won’t pay for S2 but if it pops up somewhere I might keep going.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’m rewatching You’re the Worst because it’s one of the best sitcoms of the 21st century

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
We finished Scrubs Season 8, which was the original finale for the show before the "reboot" season on a new network. It was a really well-done and sweet finale, one of two best sitcom finales I've ever seen (Parks & Rec being the other). Nostalgic and emotional without being cloying, with nice little shots of everyone as a goodbye. But you know life would continue the next day, and almost everyone would see each other again, so very little was really changing. It was nice that they knew they were ending and were able to wrap things up.

Season 8 was a huge improvement over 6 and 7, you guys weren't kidding. It had some excellent emotional moments and dialed back the soap operatics and meanness, focusing on the core characters growing and changing for the better and doing what they were best at together. Overall, it was a very good show, and I was happy to be able to share it with my wife, who watched it all for the first time.

Tomorrow night, we begin Season 9!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just appreciate season 9 as giving us early Kerry Bishe and more Eliza Coupe and maybe you’ll do ok

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Just started watching 12 Monkeys and it's pretty great so far. I don't know what it is about these filmed in Canada time travel shows, but they always seem to have such likeable characters. A little weird watching it in the middle of a pandemic though, but I guess it adds to it.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

Oenis posted:

If anyone knows of a series finale even remotely as good as the one from Six Feet Under, let me know. I watched that show over 10 years ago and it's still with me. Just reading the spoiler just now made me tear up again. I kind of want to do a rewatch some day but at the same time I'm a little afraid to do so. It's definitely the best TV show ever for me, and very dear to my heart.

Dark finale has a 9.8 rating on IMDB.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

phosdex posted:

It didn't help though.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

CarlosTheDwarf posted:

It didn't help though.

Sure there are some stinkers, but as a whole I like em all.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

CarlosTheDwarf posted:

Dark finale has a 9.8 rating on IMDB.

Finale wasn’t that great imo. Some really cheesy moments.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Gave a friend of mine all my Friday Night Lights dvds and was wondering if their was any way ( other than :filez:) to watch the episodes with the original soundtrack?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Halfway through Legends of Tomorrow Season 3, and let me just say gently caress these crossover episodes. Why do they insist on putting major character plot for this show inside episodes of Supergirl and Arrow that are also full of poo poo I don't care about at all! :argh:

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

TheAardvark posted:

Halfway through Legends of Tomorrow Season 3, and let me just say gently caress these crossover episodes. Why do they insist on putting major character plot for this show inside episodes of Supergirl and Arrow that are also full of poo poo I don't care about at all! :argh:

Arrow loving infected every other CW DC show with its crap. Its one of the reasons why I dropped the Flash.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Arrow loving infected every other CW DC show with its crap. Its one of the reasons why I dropped the Flash.

I finished it with copious fast forwarding, but the shot that ends up killing Martin Stein happening on The Flash is insanely loving stupid.

I like the idea of crossovers on paper but they shouldn't ever use it for huge character changing plot points. I guess everything looks the same from the writer's room.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
A reminder that Disney let everyone know Palpatine was alive via Fortnite.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Torquemada posted:

A reminder that Disney let everyone know Palpatine was alive via Fortnite.
I don't play fortnite and I was avoiding spoilers very deliberately, so I was super confused at the start of that movie.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Putting that poo poo in the crawl was an abominable decision

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
We binged Scrubs: Med School (Season 9) in two nights and enjoyed it much more than we expected to. My wife and I both work in academia, so we related a lot to the angst of both students trying to survive and professors trying to teach lessons while also trying to be liked by their students. We saw the episode about JD getting his evaluations on the night I got my students' evaluations from my summer class, which was insane timing.

I knew Turk and Dr. Cox would be the only characters sticking around as regulars, but that was fine because they were always my favorites. But it was nice to get a bit more Turk and JD bromance, a bit more of Kelso's "face turn," and a sweet sendoff for poor Ted. Kerry Bishe and Eliza Coupe were delights, after how much we both enjoyed Halt and Catch Fire and Happy Endings, and the Drew character was pretty cool.

But we DESPISED Dave Franco's character. I can't stand guys like that in real life. He felt like an extension of Aziz Ansari's obnoxious character from Season 8, even delivering his lines with the same inflections, in the same voice.

I can't think of many shows that hit a rough patch later in their runs and then rebounded, like Scrubs Seasons 8 and 9 after 6 and 7. Maybe Angel Season 5, which ended up being my favorite season of the entire show, but it was always a decent-to-good show after Season 1's unevenness. Twin Peaks had a great finale after a bad latter half of its second season, and How I Met Your Mother introduced the best character in its final season, but did her dirty and still tarnished its legacy with that finale, so I can't count it.

Toozler
Jan 12, 2012

I binged through Better Call Saul a month ago and just finished my rewatch of Breaking Bad. Now I'm terrified to watch El Camino (which I've never seen) because I don't want it to be over :smith:

Better Call Saul is soo good

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

You'll like Monkey King.

Came her to post this.

Started the second season of Monkey King and its FANTASTIC

In other news: Upload is good, Undone is good.

I do not like Norsemen, but the GF does. Didn't like Solar Opposites.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Came her to post this.

Started the second season of Monkey King and its FANTASTIC

In other news: Upload is good, Undone is good.

I do not like Norsemen, but the GF does. Didn't like Solar Opposites.

The New Legends of Monkey is certainly ok. Its esthetic, short episodes, explicit and simple 'moral lessons' and the sort of harmless fighting scenes remind me of kid shows like Power Rangers. It's basically an action adventure in a 'Journey to the West' setting that stays neatly in its lane the first season, but really leans into the tongue-in-cheek humor in the second season. Enjoyable but if you binge it, it becomes long stretches of more of the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Watching Tin Star with Tim Roth and Christina Hendricks, just as an easy watch and heard that the third season was filmed in our home town (Liverpool/St Helens) so was curious to check it out.

Just watched first episode of Season 2. As a decent knockoff 24, it went off the deep end so much this episode. Amnesia AND a cougar? Its like a homage to the worst 24 episodes ever. I'm still enjoying it though, i think it was supposed to be a bit of a Shining homage, with the characters stuck walking through the snow, and I noticed the overlook carpet in the hotel. Seems like they don't have much plot planned for this season either.