Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

BlackIronHeart posted:

Yeah, I'd second that advice. Spending 30 minutes stripping a couple islands for resources and getting sunk feels worse than losing loot, for sure. My crew and I like to use storage crates as food transport for land based fights. Fighting Red Ruth (Or Graymarrow, or hell, Briggsy) burns through a ton of good food and we're glad to have brought it all with us instead of trying to source it from barrels on the island.

To add on to that, if you're gonna do the tornado event(new boss on an island shiz) you're probably gonna want to have a bunch of cooked food(food that gives you regen after you eat it) because, even solo, this new event is GOING to take like an hour, and you're gonna want good food to do it with.(I watched Pace22(sea of thieves twitch top broadcaster) do it fresh with a full galleon crew and it still took almost 30 minutes) The reward/vs time spent on these ashen wind bosses seems askew, I'm guessing it will get nerfed in one way or another soon. Something that absolutely takes a solo player an hour + to finish that is worth like 1/2 a skull fort's loot, despite the not-at-all that cool flame thrower effect for the skull, seems ripe for nerfdom. (You have to hold down the flame thrower for several seconds per section of boat in order to catch flame, and in PVP its next to useless especially underwater)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
Yeah, I was happy with the loot we got from the Ashen Lord event but that's because my galleon crew ambushed a solo sloop who was on the boss wave so it took maybe 20 minutes for us to finish it up. No, I don't feel bad about that.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
the only cool thing about the flame skulls are that they whisper differently

i solo'd grimm out of boredom and after getting bored of dancing around the ammo box and killing adds i eventually went over to the ship and shot like literally 100 cannonballs at him which maybe did 50% of his health. the distance i was at seemed to be far enough to avoid the volcano attack

of all the ashen lord abilities, the shadow fog thing would have been the coolest to use for a skull powerup :ninja:

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

add smokebombs and a faction that the lvl 5 emmissary flag hides your nametag, tia rare

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

Thief posted:

i solo'd grimm out of boredom and after getting bored of dancing around the ammo box and killing adds i eventually went over to the ship and shot like literally 100 cannonballs at him which maybe did 50% of his health. the distance i was at seemed to be far enough to avoid the volcano attack

this is the approach my friend and i eventually took after dancing around that bullet sponge for like 20 minutes

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

also join the goon discord, you don't have to play with other goons even, it's just a nice little place you can ask for advice or see what people are up to in real time

Thief posted:

add smokebombs and a faction that the lvl 5 emmissary flag hides your nametag, tia rare

still waiting for my boarding axe to rip planks off of walls......

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Thief posted:

Ninja faction would be rad and also we could settle the old pirate versus ninja debate

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

My friends talked me into getting this game, and even though we are still getting our *ahem* sea-legs, are having a pretty good time with it.

I did run into something annoying the other day while messing around solo. Couple of random dudes hopped onto my ship while we were at the same outpost, which would have freaked me out except I really didn't have anything to lose should they attack. Mostly they offered me advice and hosed around with instruments a bit. Anyway, when they left, one of them left some meat cooking on my stove, which I know will eventually start a fire if not removed. Except, I couldn't remove it... Is this a known troll tactic? Is there any way of stopping it from happening beyond keeping people off your ship?

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

glitchwraith posted:

My friends talked me into getting this game, and even though we are still getting our *ahem* sea-legs, are having a pretty good time with it.

I did run into something annoying the other day while messing around solo. Couple of random dudes hopped onto my ship while we were at the same outpost, which would have freaked me out except I really didn't have anything to lose should they attack. Mostly they offered me advice and hosed around with instruments a bit. Anyway, when they left, one of them left some meat cooking on my stove, which I know will eventually start a fire if not removed. Except, I couldn't remove it... Is this a known troll tactic? Is there any way of stopping it from happening beyond keeping people off your ship?

Fruit/meat/fish all take the same 5 max food inventory slots, so you can empty your food inventory at the food barrel next to you in the ship before you can pick up more. If you were empty idk maybe it was just bugged, if you had nothing to lose but still wanted to play I would've scuttled my ship and taken a mermaid to a fresh one. (in the menu, I think it's under crew options)

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Ah, yeah I probably had max food. Figured it was 50/50 chance I was doing something wrong. Thanks!

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

I have a best buddy who sails with me every Friday to shoot the poo poo, catch up and did up some treasure. Last time we went for that anniversary figurehead, and after that we noticed a fire tornado not far away. Since my buddy hadn't tried that fight before, we went over there to take a look and found a partial brig crew fighting Warden Chi. We had nothing to lose so we yelled WE'RE FRIENDLY and started laying into the Ashen Lord.
Surprisingly, they accepted our help and we had a blast doing the fight. Their ship returned with the rest of the crew, we allianced, beat the Ashen boi and they left us most of the loot sans flamethrower skull.

Still haven't seen Red Ruth at this point, but this was my 3rd or 4th kill of Warden Chi.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Its amazing how much, I guess confidence? or at least not caring about losing treasure and not getting an adrenaline spike that makes you shakey really counts in pvp. That is probably true for most pvp games, but learning to let go and have fun really does make you a better player. Thats why I like the twitch drops thing, you watch top players and even they get sunk every once in a while. At this point I really don't care that much about the treasure, but losing a well stocked ship really does bite. Its why I don't like keeping a ton of goodies in a crate on the top deck, its too easy to steal. I prefer to keep just cannonballs and *some* wood and food in there, but nothing that would reduce us to starter supplies if it got yoinked.

My playing style has also evolved from getting a better system, my buddy gave me a big box of 'pandemic supplies' that was basically a new computer's worth of parts right before the stay at home order back in march. Its nothing fancy but it lets me play current games without having to go completely low settings and its made pvp in sea of thieves a thing I can do against even non-xbox players.

And to comment on Merijn's post.. WE'RE FRIENDLY is usually the battle cry of somebody who's about to keg you, I'm surprised they allowed that. I think Rare stopped making multi-crew achievements a thing after the introduction of the megalodon and the thrones thing because of all the betrayals.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
As a serial betrayer, there was way more betraying going on before those things. This was mostly because the skeleton forts were the big way to earn rep and because you respawned so close to where you died, it was easier to be like "Look, we could just keep fighting forever, or we could split the loot".

And then you obviously betray them the moment you kill the skeleton captain and run off with the key.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Sekhmnet posted:

And to comment on Merijn's post.. WE'RE FRIENDLY is usually the battle cry of somebody who's about to keg you, I'm surprised they allowed that.

Oh believe me, I was as surprised as you are. I haven't met friendly pirates in literal years.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
my crew and I are 100 percent PvP and I don't know that any of us actually know how the alliance system even functions

MarsellusWallace
Nov 9, 2010

Well he doesn't WANT
to look like a bitch!

Pattonesque posted:

my crew and I are 100 percent PvP and I don't know that any of us actually know how the alliance system even functions

Listen the alliance system is easy to understand, you ally then you betray the ship that now arbitrarily trusts you.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

You have nothing to gain from betraying an alliance and everything to gain by staying in one.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

How do alliances work?

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

there's a 2nd tab in the flagbox with a heart on it. that allows anyone within range of youe ship to start/join an alliance by selecting that flag

from there you can take the flag down to avoid unwanted crews from joining your alliance

once in an alliance you can disband by selecting it from that same tab

allied crews have pink nametags

friendly fire is always an on

backstabbing is always an option

you can see allied ships on your map

e: the hardest part of starting an alliance is explaining to new players how to get to the 2nd tab of their flagbox

the crew that turns in loot gets 100% of the gold/rep while the alliance gets 50%. related commendations only go to the crew that turns in

Elendil004 posted:

You have nothing to gain from betraying an alliance and everything to gain by staying in one.

backstabbing allies is the easiest way to steal high level flags but otherwise yeah

Thief fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Aug 9, 2020

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

smoobles posted:

How do alliances work?

Sometimes when two galleons love each other very much...

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

smoobles posted:

How do alliances work?

But seriously.. If you fly the alliance flag (white streamer with heart) from your flag box, and another nearby ship is also flying it, then you are automatically "allied" and both ships get an alliance name that the game generates, along with a specific flag that appears for that alliance.

At this point you can remove the white heart alliance streamer if you don't want anyone new to join.

While an alliance is active, you see alliance ships on the chart at all times.

You get full price for all loot you turn in, and any allies get fifty percent price for whatever you turn in, and vice versa.

I believe there is some reputation benefit from ally turn ins but not sure.

Not sure if there is global voice or text chat with alliance members.

Very important: The alliance mechanic does not in any way constrain your behavior. Your weapons and ships damage each other just the same as if there is no alliance. So you betray an ally by simply killing/sinking them and taking their loot, then usually if you are the backstabber you will simply disband the alliance at that time.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Elendil004 posted:

Thief posted:

the crew that turns in loot gets 100% of the gold/rep while the alliance gets 50%. related commendations only go to the crew that turns in

I'm not out here sailing trying to get some of the treasure lol

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Babe Magnet posted:

I'm not out here sailing trying to get some of the treasure lol

Sure but you go get your own treasure while they get theirs and you have random treasure rolling in risk free.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Or you can turn in your treasure and their treasure, double the profit in half the time

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Elendil004 posted:

Sure but you go get your own treasure while they get theirs and you have random treasure rolling in risk free.

man the risk is half the fun!

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

CainsDescendant posted:

Or you can turn in your treasure and their treasure, double the profit in half the time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0qjK3TWZE8

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

There is an extra few benefits to alliances: you can put voyages on their table and they can revive you.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

I just had the most amazing match in open crew sloop Arena! I wasn't even going for the win, but we got it in the end! At some point we sank and I felt like taking the rowboat instead of the mermaid, so where else to go than the purple fountain of light? On the way i picked up my crewmate, and went over to the island to dig it up. Another crew was there before us (because they had a sail on their ship) and I proceeded to dig up the chest while my buddy murdered them.
For no reason other than silliness, I started rowing the chest to the outpost. I had zero expectations that the other crew - or any of the other 3 crews - wouldn't catch up to me and take the chest.
However, it turns out that it's quite hard to harpoon a zig-zagging rowboat, even when it's marked with a bright purple column of light. Halfway to the outpost, my buddy mermaided back to the ship and made it back to me at the perfect time, engaging the other crew with cannons while I rowed the last bit, jumped onto the outpost ship, and sold the chest. We immediately jumped to first place. I mermaided back to our ship, repaired the holes, and played music until the remaining 3 minutes ran out.

I won a goddamn arena match in a rowboat and it was the most fun match I'd ever had.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Arena is way underrated, good job.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Can someone explain something to me?

If you are tucking on an event like Ashen Winds, what is the significance of tagging the boss by shooting/swording it etc.? Is that a necessary step to get credit for "completing" it if you are in the area when it finishes?

What if you "tag" the boss but then are out of the area when it finishes?

Does this apply to other events in the game? Like what if you shoot a Shrouded Ghost that another team then kills?

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
I've had two Ancient Skeletons appear during Ashen Lord events now, did Rare gently caress with the spawn rate?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

BlackIronHeart posted:

I've had two Ancient Skeletons appear during Ashen Lord events now, did Rare gently caress with the spawn rate?

I had one spawn too, weird

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Zwabu posted:

Can someone explain something to me?

If you are tucking on an event like Ashen Winds, what is the significance of tagging the boss by shooting/swording it etc.? Is that a necessary step to get credit for "completing" it if you are in the area when it finishes?

What if you "tag" the boss but then are out of the area when it finishes?

Does this apply to other events in the game? Like what if you shoot a Shrouded Ghost that another team then kills?

Yes! I've done this a few times now, and it works. You don't even have to be on the island to get credit for when the boss gets killed.
This also works for Fort of the Damned, where you just have to be on the island to get credit for opening the vault when it happens. You're not even tried to for a shot!

I believe it also applies to sinking skeleton ships and killing megs. For skeleton ships it's even more lenient I think, where you get credit for sinking it if it spawns on you in the storm, and just sinks from the rain.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

The mysterious gentleman who tucked aboard our ship after we sunk his (only to reveal himself when we were fighting a skelly ship) left this cryptic message on our chart. We're still trying to decipher its meaning:

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Zwabu posted:

The mysterious gentleman who tucked aboard our ship after we sunk his (only to reveal himself when we were fighting a skelly ship) left this cryptic message on our chart. We're still trying to decipher its meaning:

They did tweet this out today
https://twitter.com/SeaOfThieves/status/1294544359111766016

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
My brother and I took on a four-man galleon last night after they sank him while he was soloing in a Brig. I logged on after it happened and found out ship parked behind an island. He’d swum from there to a skull fort the same galleon was doing and tucked on the side of their ship while he waited for his opportunity.

The moment they harpooned the stronghold keg aboard he shot it, killing two. I got underway and we parked our brig next to their galleon and lit it the gently caress up while they tried to recover.

Sadly we hosed up and let one of them board us, and he killed us both. We respawned expecting our ship to be on fire or sunk. There was a bit of water but it wasn’t too bad. After I finished bailing, I got on deck and discovered why.

Thank Mr Kraken

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

That's a great shot!

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
A friend and I were trying to rob a sloop who was doing an Ashen Lord event and we ended up sneaking four kegs on him.

But then a galleon rolled up so we mermaided back to our sloop and took them on. They sunk the original sloop, then we managed to sink them and steal their OOS emissary flag and some loot they'd acquired. We went to sell it at the Reaper's Hideout and then realized they had gone back to the event and completed it, so we went to engage them again.

What followed was about an hour of cat-and-mouse -- they were not very good at sailing but were really excellent at calling out boarders and swording us to bits every time we tried. We attempted to tuck on Golden Sands but they sent two folks on before turning things in, and they eventually found one of us and got underway.

Instead of trying to board them from the sea, we rammed them -- and through a bit of luck, my friend who jumped off the bow onto their deck did so while they were below decks repairing. He ran to the stern, realized they'd loaded up all of their loot in the rowboat, and detached it without their knowing, while I led them on a chase in the other direction. We met back up at an unmarked rock after I respawned, sailed to the other end of the map, and turned in their loot without any further incident.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

that's nice but have you considered that you may have had more fun by politely asking them for an alliance and then fighting skeletals for 2 hours instead?

excellent work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Babe Magnet posted:

that's nice but have you considered that you may have had more fun by politely asking them for an alliance and then fighting skeletals for 2 hours instead?

excellent work

thank you! this is why I will never understand alliances, all you're doing is left-clicking on skeletons and reading maps. it's impossible to lose and the only thing that really adds juice to it is the possibility of losing it to other players