Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
I 100%ed Death Stranding the other day and I'm sad it's over. I love that game. Can't wait for whatever Kojima does next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.

Chard posted:

besides the WP scene what are some other gaming moments one might wish to experience for the first time again?

Elyium Loyce in DS2 for the first time again.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Martian Manfucker posted:

I 100%ed Death Stranding the other day and I'm sad it's over. I love that game. Can't wait for whatever Kojima does next.

i was completely obsessed with that game for like 3 weeks which is a cool feelign

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I need to get back into it :doh:

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Chard posted:

besides the WP scene what are some other gaming moments one might wish to experience for the first time again?

No joke, I was a big fan of blight town.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

smarxist posted:

i love how you have one character most of the time, and your internal thoughts heavily reflect it, but with clothing items and buffs, you can pretty much win any of the other types of checks eventually, especially if you boost them with other poo poo, it's so perfectly designed

edit:
i'm annoyed i missed a red perception check in the church where i guess you try to see the hole in reality, it was like 80% with boosts/clothing/stats, but i failed it and couldn't re-do, i didn't save scum either, I think i only did once or twice

if I'm thinking of the same check that's just to notice tiago before he talks to you. to my knowledge you can never get near the hole (and in the game)

Chard posted:

disco elysium and dark souls, especially 1

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

i bought brigador today its genuinely sick as hell

oh, I didn't realize this was a game. I listen to Makeup and Vanity Set all the time and thought Brigador was a set of concept albums

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Fleetwood posted:

oh, I didn't realize this was a game. I listen to Makeup and Vanity Set all the time and thought Brigador was a set of concept albums

And It's MAde By A Goon

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

I just did the Higgs bossfight and apparently there's still like half the game left?? I'm like hour 77 here

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Looks like a lot of folks are getting a lot more from Death Stranding than previously thought likely, hopefully somebody will do a deep dive long-form review of the game from somebody to give it proper scope. Most reviews and previews feature people who are not gud

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Maya Fey posted:

And It's MAde By A Goon

https://brigador.fandom.com/wiki/Johnny_Five_Aces

Dick Valentine
Nov 4, 2009

Maya Fey posted:

And It's MAde By A Goon

about that lmao

https://twitter.com/StellarJockeys/status/1275559933606424576

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Maya Fey posted:

And It's MAde By A Goon

Wasn't Hypnospace Outlaw also a goon game? That was a drat fine game.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Nonsense posted:

Looks like a lot of folks are getting a lot more from Death Stranding than previously thought likely, hopefully somebody will do a deep dive long-form review of the game from somebody to give it proper scope. Most reviews and previews feature people who are not gud

And you have the ones that are just "LOL it's a walking simulator and the controls are dogshit!!!!"

Almost like a lot of these people never been hiking or climbing poo poo before

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

World War Mammories posted:

if I'm thinking of the same check that's just to notice tiago before he talks to you. to my knowledge you can never get near the hole (and in the game)

disco elysium and dark souls, especially 1

Havel's passage/tower , specifically , is a seminal gaming moment

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lol

quote:

Johnny Five Aces powered down the magnabike with a not quite unhearble hum and checked his chronometer. "drat." he hissed threw his clinched teeth which were surrounded by the stubble of five days where in he had not shaven himself at all. It was almost chromodawn at Clashpoint.

Alreddy the sun was sitting Walliston's Hill ah blaze like so much molten meddle or a coin, gyreating in the air, tossed there by the uncaring hand of an imaginary god that doesn't exist, borne from the interior minds of the hobbled masses. The sky was the color of a television tuned to a dead channel that was orange.

drat, he, Johnny, thought. We thought we were opening a new beginning with our mad dreams of time travail but ironically the only time now is the time of which we're out of. It's almost humorous. Yeah, I could almost laugh, if I hadn't cried that part of me away when my parents were maccasared by Dr. Malaprop and the government sanctioned murderers of "CAPITAL".

He lit a Nicosheen brand swaggerette and took a dip drag, sinking farther into his inferior horologue. He thought of Nina and her mellifluous buttocks that he used to love to bang. Even now his nano enhanced hearing could almost hear her vagina lips quivering with moisture and also pleasure, like a slice of synth-ham being tongued by one of Malaprop's slamhounds. When he got back to City5, he was going to do some sex, no doubt about that. "That's right doll" he said to nobody and the wind. They were going to do it hard. He smiled, blowing smoke from his nostrils. They were going do it cyber hard.

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won
https://twitter.com/Yoshi_OnoChin/status/1292430444672163842

i don't care about street fighter at all but this man has the sickest signature i've ever seen

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Good soup! posted:

And you have the ones that are just "LOL it's a walking simulator and the controls are dogshit!!!!"

Almost like a lot of these people never been hiking or climbing poo poo before
Really? The walking controls feel extremely intuitive to me, and I think it's like the first game where I can just apply real world expectations to movement. Like, in every other game you expect to be thwarted by some bullshit that anyone the least bit mobile could easily deal with, but the controls simply won't allow it. Meanwhile, in DS, I can just look at some terrain and think about how I'd traverse it in real life, and what do you know, it works in-game.

For sure the combat isn't MGSV, but that's clearly on purpose, to emphasize planning and movement - outside whatever pacifist message Kojima is getting at.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

Can't wait for whatever Kojima does next.

QUEER FRASIER
May 31, 2011

I genuinely feel bad for all of the people who missed the boat on Death Stranding, even the people who seemed to have approached the game with some weird and stubborn determination to not like it

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

it owns so hard

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

QUEER FRASIER posted:

I genuinely feel bad for all of the people who missed the boat on Death Stranding, even the people who seemed to have approached the game with some weird and stubborn determination to not like it

Yeah Jim Sterling did this. Talked up how much Kojima was pissing him off lately and how he's a genius but also stuck up at the same time. Surprise! He hated it. He literally spent two podcasts talking himself into hating whatever he got.

Then again like most online gaming journalists he's utterly burnt out at this point and hates everything. Which I can understand.

Regarde Aduck has issued a correction as of 20:52 on Aug 9, 2020

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I don't think people should consume more than, like, 3 AAA games a year. It's not healthy being a critic.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Mantis42 posted:

I don't think people should consume games. It's not healthy.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Nonsense posted:

has there been a good goon LP

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

lol welp

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Maya Fey posted:

And It's MAde By A Goon

and in typical goon fashion, one of those devs turned out to be a nazi

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

I'm really glad the chatter in this thread talked me into buying DS.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

bedpan posted:

I don't think people should consume games. It's not healthy.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
just finished up the Proving in HZD, not very surprised by what happens after, they telegraphed it really hard and its a pretty common trope, but it was done well enough

the plot is decent enough to keep me engaged, and Aloy's VA is fantastic, but the real diamond is the gameplay for sure, i'm really enjoying everything i've been shown so far, especially the traps and poo poo

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
this era of AAA games is so strange, like 2015-2020 has been the "third person semi-open world adventure / scavenging / exploring / crafting / you can do it all baby" type game, so many IPs have been shoveled into this genre and there are lots of standouts and really great games, but also they can feel same-y if you've played enough of them, i think if I really get into HZD and finish it out i'd probably have my fill of this type of game

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

etalian posted:

ironically the only time now is the time of which we're out of

zybourne clock was really prescient

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

smarxist posted:

this era of AAA games is so strange, like 2015-2020 has been the "third person semi-open world adventure / scavenging / exploring / crafting / you can do it all baby" type game, so many IPs have been shoveled into this genre and there are lots of standouts and really great games, but also they can feel same-y if you've played enough of them, i think if I really get into HZD and finish it out i'd probably have my fill of this type of game

I hate how every one of these games puts you in side quest hell

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

QUEER FRASIER posted:

Regarde Aduck posted:

Yeah Jim Sterling did this. Talked up how much Kojima was pissing him off lately and how he's a genius but also stuck up at the same time. Surprise! He hated it. He literally spent two podcasts talking himself into hating whatever he got.

Then again like most online gaming journalists he's utterly burnt out at this point and hates everything. Which I can understand.

I haven't actually seen anyone explain why DS is good other than "this is the best walking simulator ever" and "wow Kojima is such an auteur". I don't like walking simulators and think Kojima is an interesting clown. Is there a reason why people who feel the same as me should like the game?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Mercrom posted:

I haven't actually seen anyone explain why DS is good other than "this is the best walking simulator ever" and "wow Kojima is such an auteur". I don't like walking simulators and think Kojima is an interesting clown. Is there a reason why people who feel the same as me should like the game?

when people say walking simulator they mean like, weight balancing and footing are things you have to actually pay attention to or you’ll drop all your poo poo

it’s not a 60-hour Gone Home

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Mercrom posted:

it's not what is commonly called a "walking simulator" video game but more of a hiking simulator with a layer of planning/logistics on top. it's hard to describe in a way that doesn't sound boring but you're constantly making decisions and figuring out your next steps. then there's all the gear, upgrades, vehicles, infrastructure building etc. on top of that. it's a collection of gameplay systems that work harmoniously both together and in relation to the larger themes of the story and it works because hideo kojima is a genius who has done it again.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

~2 hours into DS and I'm hooked, ready to sit back and let this Kojima guy inject his insane madness into my veins

unlike you fanboy suckers this is my very first ever Kojima game of any kind on any platform

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

Epic High Five posted:

~2 hours into DS and I'm hooked, ready to sit back and let this Kojima guy inject his insane madness into my veins

unlike you fanboy suckers this is my very first ever Kojima game of any kind on any platform

this is gonna be like the time maureen dowd ate 50 doses of edibles all at once because she thought it was just a funny tasting chocolate bar in her son's bag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’m excited to do DS after (so far absolutely amazing) Horizon ZD

I’m very skeptical of the upcoming cybersex 2077