Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

The game looks like it has a decent amount of combat, which really sucks in the HP world.

Not to mention that the two best games I've played recently are Disco Elysium and Outer Wilds, both of which are pretty much combat free. I don't think a HP game should have no combat, but it's always portrayed as something that's a last resort and that kids aren't particularly good at. In some of the videos it looks like you're just indiscriminately blasting a bunch of mooks at parts.

I guess there was that sort of action in the last book/movie, but to me the best parts of HP are the wonder and mystery. Give me a huge castle and surrounding areas to explore with lots of hidden secrets. Let me uncover lore about the wizarding world that hopefully doesn't do the Star Wars thing of making everything even more interconnected. I think it'd be a lot more interesting of a game if it went for book 3/4 energy rather than book 6/7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Low combat Metroidvania, spells are your tools, gently caress it designs itself.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
If I was going to design an open world HP game it would be a glorified Persona clone that takes you through years 1-7 at Hogwarts. Most of the game is spent building up relationships by interacting with classmates and spells/skills/etc by going to classes and doing activities. You have finals each year where you have to demonstrate mastery, and also once per year there's a big plot event where there's some puzzle solving and/or combat. You can also join clubs and, if the player wants more combat, dueling club is an option and provides both specialty spells and a bunch of 1v1 fights. Throw in some cringey romance options on top and bam, you've got a loving seller.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Sydin posted:

If I was going to design an open world HP game it would be a glorified Persona clone that takes you through years 1-7 at Hogwarts. Most of the game is spent building up relationships by interacting with classmates and spells/skills/etc by going to classes and doing activities. You have finals each year where you have to demonstrate mastery, and also once per year there's a big plot event where there's some puzzle solving and/or combat. You can also join clubs and, if the player wants more combat, dueling club is an option and provides both specialty spells and a bunch of 1v1 fights. Throw in some cringey romance options on top and bam, you've got a loving seller.

Good luck doing a AAA without good voice talent and good luck getting any talent to hitch their wagons to this falling star of a property.

"Wrap it up, Potterailures" (as the kids say these days).

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I'll just have Yuri Lowenthal voice all characters in the game - including the girls - and achieve about the same level of variety of voice actors there were in Fallout New Vegas.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Tbh just reskinning and rescripting Skyrim would work just fine.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

A persona style HP game would whip rear end

It should have at least one character or professor that changes their gender at a whim every time you meet them, and in a lecture teaches their students about the Death of the Author

Then for the SMT / HP crossover DLC there should be a quest where you summon multi-titted Satan

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Demi-Fiend as super secret bonus boss would just be incredibly mean.

Edit: Raidou Kuzunoha as Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Sydin posted:

I'll just have Yuri Lowenthal voice all characters in the game - including the girls - and achieve about the same level of variety of voice actors there were in Fallout New Vegas.

Hey, that had Worf and Odo

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Hey, that had Worf and Odo

And Chandler for some reason.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Honestly whenever I think of what would make a great Harry Potter game, I end up jumping towards just taking the basic concepts that are attractive about the franchise and just building a new IP around those, because most attempts to expand the franchise have turned out badly.

Which doesn't seem to fit with how drat successful the merch of Harry Potter has been, Barnes and Noble is covered in the stuff. I think it may be the most merchandised property that Warner Brothers has going for it right now, and they're desperately clinging to it as their one salvation against the Disney machine.

Well, I guess it sure was fun flying around Hogwarts in the Chamber of Secrets game.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Wasn't one of the later HP games basically Gears of War with wands

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
Geas of War

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Wasn't one of the later HP games basically Gears of War with wands

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntz0gcLSYrw&t=539s

like Gears of War if the Locust fired their rifles by spinning them above their heads in lazy arcs

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 245 days!
I found most of the setting of Harry Potter boring because her view of nature and the mystical seemed to be basically a fun and exciting playground for wizards. It might be dangerous in a limited way, but not truly threatening beyond an extremely local scale.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

JethroMcB posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntz0gcLSYrw&t=539s

like Gears of War if the Locust fired their rifles by spinning them above their heads in lazy arcs

Harry Potter and the uncomfortably broad shoulders.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Wow, they seriously just hastily reskinned a cover based shooter down to the character models.

You could probably do a lot more interesting things with different magic styles. And more big bombastic anime charge-up attacks. I mean christ, what else is the point of having vocalised spells?

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Wow, they seriously just hastily reskinned a cover based shooter down to the character models.

Movie/TV tie-in games got really lazy at the end before they more or less died out. Compare the above with say the Chamber of Secrets game, which was a fun and charming adventure game on the PS2/Xbox/Gamecube, a turn based RPG on the GBC, a isometric dungeon crawler on the GBA, or a terrifying look at early 3d graphics on the PS1.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

galagazombie posted:

a turn based RPG on the GBC

Two apparently. I only played the first but it was solid enough for a licensed game, I hear the second is better.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
https://twitter.com/MNateShyamalan/status/1281276972463730689?s=19

I want to believe.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
More tweets! More giant spider!

https://twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/1291477323997261824

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
i see there's been some talk of the new harry potter video game, but why would you bother waiting for that when POTTERGAME is out now

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2020/07/16/pottergames-wizarding-world-is-bizarre-broken-and-deeply-cynical/
https://www.glorioustrainwrecks.com/node/11931

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5a09sxrGB0

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

mods please change my name to and/or send me to the Bean Bonus Room

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

POTTERGAME is a++++++

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

[Interior: The Great Hall]

The Great Hall is lavishly decorated with British and/or Magical Halloween decorations. The tables are piled high with British and/or Magical foods, and all the students are present, chattering unintelligibly

Ron: Where's Hermione?

Harry: Some crap I'm not transcribing for a very dumb joke

*Ron looks ashamed*

Professor Qrrbrbirlbel burst in, shouting wordlessly. Everyone stands up in alarm. He reaches the center of the room and stops.

Professor Qrrbrbirlbel: Zeeky Boogy Doog

A bomb explodes.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3bayNGdrQ0

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

seems like a typical pre covid american school to me.

golden bells
Oct 17, 2013

I know hp really changes trajectory from the first book but this gets my goat: the scene from the first book in which Harry interacts with and frees the zoo snake. It sets up Harry as someone with empathy, and suggests to the audience to doubt the snake as a badge of evil as they occur in the series. It's select compassion and evil snakes for the rest of the series.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It would be a cooler series if there were a bunch of snakes in the forest that Harry hung out with occasionally. Or if when Harry was fighting the basilisk, he could just talk it down instead of slaying it.

awkwerd paws
Dec 30, 2012

weezy kiss baby on the lips in the rap city basement
if you drink polyjuice and jack off is that rape

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

awkwerd paws posted:

if you drink polyjuice and jack off is that rape

You have to get their DNA from somewhere so if you get it with consent no but if not then yes. Sex criminals will definitely try to argue that their friends did in fact consent to share this when they took a poo poo at their house with the mysteriously broken toilet and they will convince themselves they are doing no wrong as they fish your poops out of said toilet to put into tonight's JO potion.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

SlothfulCobra posted:

It would be a cooler series if there were a bunch of snakes in the forest that Harry hung out with occasionally. Or if when Harry was fighting the basilisk, he could just talk it down instead of slaying it.

A series where Harry takes the things he has in common with Voldemort and turns them against Voldemort or shows that there is nothing inherently bad to them would be a better series, yeah.

awkwerd paws
Dec 30, 2012

Ror posted:

You have to get their DNA from somewhere so if you get it with consent no but if not then yes. Sex criminals will definitely try to argue that their friends did in fact consent to share this when they took a poo poo at their house with the mysteriously broken toilet and they will convince themselves they are doing no wrong as they fish your poops out of said toilet to put into tonight's JO potion.

lol harry and gang would've had to avoid using the bathroom all the times they were sneaky about that poo poo then huh. or were cheering on a gang of rapists

but anyone who says they wouldnt check out their new junk at like the first opportunity is lying imo tbh

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Do you really need to jack off every time you see your dick?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
every trained wizard has the know-how and recipe to make a love potion, i think we have to face the fact that the Harry Potter wizarding universe is filled to the brim with sex pests

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

awkwerd paws posted:

lol harry and gang would've had to avoid using the bathroom all the times they were sneaky about that poo poo then huh. or were cheering on a gang of rapists

but anyone who says they wouldnt check out their new junk at like the first opportunity is lying imo tbh

This is exactly why wizards used to just teleport their poop away, it was actually very clever you see

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

TheAardvark posted:

every trained wizard has the know-how and recipe to make a love potion, i think we have to face the fact that the Harry Potter wizarding universe is filled to the brim with sex pests

I mean Voldemort is literally the product of a witch who uses a love potion to rape a muggle. Its super hosed up.

awkwerd paws
Dec 30, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

Do you really need to jack off every time you see your dick?

lol who made this personal. noone said that. you have to direct the flow dont you. lose your freaky defense mechanism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I dick off every time i see my jack