Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Wasteland 3 is HERE!!!
https://www.inxile-entertainment.com/wasteland3
Made by inXile. Who are those guys?
From the wiki:
inXile Entertainment, Inc. (pronounced "in exile") is an American video game developer and a studio of Xbox Game Studios based in Newport Beach, California. Specializing in role-playing video games, inXile was founded in 2002 by Interplay co-founder Brian Fargo (one of the co-creators of Wasteland). The studio produced the fantasy games The Bard's Tale and Hunted: The Demon's Forge – along with various games for Flash and iOS such as Fantastic Contraption – in its first decade of development. In 2012, inXile released the post-apocalyptic game Wasteland 2, following a successful Kickstarter campaign. The sequel to Interplay's Wasteland, inXile acquired the rights to the franchise after previous rights owners Konami allowed its ownership to lapse. Following the game's critical success, the studio went on to raise a then-record US$4 million on Kickstarter to develop Torment: Tides of Numenera – a spiritual successor to Interplay's Planescape: Torment. inXile is currently developing Wasteland 3.

Q:So what is this Wasteland series and why should I give a gently caress?
A: Think of Wasteland as the drunken pappy of Fallout. You will hear "like Fallout" often in descriptions but, again, this came first and it inspired for a reason. Back in the beforetimes, the long, long ago of 1988 Interplay, hot off of producing Bard's Tale, decided to take a bit of Mad Max 2, a dash of A Boy and His Dog and some smidgen of other fun post apoc goodness into a groundbreaking game. If you like Fallout (especially the older ones) then you might like this series. You play a member of the Arizona Desert Rangers. You wander the barren wastes bringing death and, possibly, some justice if it fits your whims. You got guns, melee and skill checks galore. You fight raiders, assholes, mutants, robots and more assholes.

The first one is good but very old. It's graphics are 80s style but the game holds up. There is a revamped edition out there BUT FOR THE LOVE OF DREAD LORD CTHULHU DO NOT BUY IT FOR THE X-BOX ONE! Far better on the computer but, again, its old.

The second one came out 2014 and is definitely a retro (think 90s and not 00s) top down turn based RPG. An actual kickstarter success story yay! This series was long thought dead but we got this. You got a squad a 4 main guys and can have 3 other followers tag along. You control those guys very similar to XCOM. The weapon types are very similar to the older Fallouts. You got energy weapons, assault rifles, pistols, shotguns, heavy weapons, sniper rifles, fist weapons, blunt and slash. Skill checks are pretty much like Fallout (I mean... this game is Fallout papa) where you got lockpicking, science, demolitions and so forth. One difference is the three flavours of speech type. Smart rear end, Hard rear end and Kiss rear end. Someone likes asses I know. Best that you know now that this isn't a dark and broody game. Game isn't perfect but among my recent favourite. Graphics? Top down and retro and... not the most beautiful game of its type. PoE2 blows it away with graphics. Still good, fun story with some humour and lots of squad turn based old school goodness. I just finished another game this very night and decided to make a thread for 3 since I didn't see one up. I wouldn't do that for a game I didn't love and think wasn't worth our time.

You can buy Wasteland 2 pretty much anywhere. PS4, XBone, Windows, Linux.

Q: What will Wasteland 3 be like?
A: Not out yet but a good guess is a refined Wasteland 2. It comes out the 28th of August in the hell year of 2020 on all the usual suspects. Looks like we are headed to Colorado and not just for brownies.
*edit* Some Snippets of Goodness
From Wikipedia:
Wasteland 3 is a squad-based role-playing video game featuring turn-based combat. Played from an isometric perspective, the game will feature synchronous and asynchronous multiplayer. In the game, players need to make various choices, which would have different impacts on the game's world and the story. The game introduces a vehicle that the players can use to traverse the world and store supplies. The main campaign can be played cooperatively with another player

A whole bunch From PC Gamer
https://www.pcgamer.com/wasteland-3-everything-we-know/
What's the story premise?
Mild spoilers for Wasteland 2 in this section.

Following the events of Wasteland 2, the Desert Rangers were left without a proper base of operations. They received a call from the Patriarch of Colorado Springs—essentially, the ruler of the region—asking them to help him stop his nation from falling apart. In return, he promised the Rangers all the resources they’d need to rebuild.

The Rangers dispatched a squad called Team November to make contact with the Patriarch, but things didn’t go to plan. It’s not clear what exactly happened, but you start the game as Team November’s sole survivor, waking up in a frozen land full of murderous cults, vicious gangs and lost technology.

As the story unfolds, you’ll be building your reputation, siding with various factions, and exploring this strange land while saving or destroying locations through the decisions you make. Oh, and inXile has teased that one of the Rangers from Wasteland 2 is returning, but isn’t telling us who just yet.

What can we expect from the setting?
Expect a large world with two major hubs. The first, the city of Colorado Springs, will be the largest location in Wasteland 3. The second is your Ranger Base, which will act as a "quest hub." At the start of the game, the base will be empty, and you’ll have to recruit new Rangers from the local population. InXile says you won’t be "micromanaging" your base, but it will change over the time based on your actions and decisions. It will also be the backdrop for lots of quests, events, and ethical dilemmas.

Some locations in Wasteland 3 will be inspired by real-life places. For example, the team are basing one location on the Stanley Hotel in Estes Park, Colorado, which was also the inspiration for the setting of Stephen King’s novel The Shining.

How do multiplayer campaigns work?
For the first time in the series, Wasteland 3 will introduce multiplayer, and you’ll be able to play through the main campaign with a friend in two-player co-op. The campaign will continue even if only one player is online, so you can drop in and out any time you want, but there will be a small number of set points in the story that will only trigger if both players are in-game. If one player abandons the playthrough then it’s not a big deal: You can convert the save to a singleplayer campaign if you like.

Each player controls their own squad of Rangers, and you can swap personnel if you want—although you’ll need at least one player-created character in your party at any time. Both players can explore and take on missions together or go off in different directions with their own squad. If you split up, your actions and consequences can affect the other player, even if they’re not online.

As an example, inXile describes a scenario in which one player makes a deal with a gang of smugglers, keeping their trade routes clear in return for a cut of the profits. “It would be possible for one player's party to make the deal, not tell the other player, and thus that player would receive compensation in return. Meanwhile, the second player might independently choose to attack the smugglers for the good of the people of Colorado, not knowing of the prior deal, and that would lead to a similar consequence where the smugglers end up at Ranger HQ asking hard questions." Intriguing stuff.

How has dialogue been revamped?
The reworked dialogue system is based on the one used in Torment: Tides of Numenera. Essentially, dialogue sequences are branching, with potential lines of enquiry opening up or shutting down based on your responses. Some options will only appear if your characters have certain skills.

Expect more dialogue to be voiced than in Wasteland 2. For important conversations, the camera will zoom in to a close-up, over-the-shoulder view of your character, giving you a good look at the person you’re speaking to, warts and all. In these cases, NPCs will have voice acting and lip sync, as you can see in the trailer below (which also shows off a little bit of gameplay).

In a recent development update, inXile confirms that Wasteland 3 is in fact entirely voice acted, thanks to support from its new owners at Microsoft.

How will vehicles work?
Wasteland 3 introduces vehicles for the first time in the series, and you’ll be able to drive them about the world and use them to store supplies. Their mounted weapons, as you can see in the video above, will come in useful during combat. You’ll be able to take cover behind vehicles, too.

You can modify vehicles with parts you find out in the wild—the first vehicle you get will be beaten up, but you’ll find others as you go through the story.

How will combat differ from Wasteland 2?
It looks like it will be largely the same as in Wasteland 2: Turn-based combat in which you spend action points during your turn, directing your squad to take cover or attack the enemy. The big addition for Wasteland 3 are team-focused abilities, which give your Rangers tactical skills that affect your whole squad, or weaken all your opponents.

Wasteland 3 will also let some characters escape from near-death situations through a “Down-But-Not-Out” system, which hasn’t fully been explained yet.

Here's a trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6EAhBLgSOs

So let's get together and talk about how awesome your time was in post apocalyptic Arizona and California and how you are looking forward to checking out the American Rocky Mountains. Also bitch about how overpowered unarmed and melee was. Because it was king. I punched and chopped a RoboScorpion in the pooper in one round tonight. I also feel like this post has the word rear end like a million times.

Helpful links:
Wasteland Wikis
https://wasteland.fandom.com/wiki/Wasteland_Wiki
and
https://wasteland.gamepedia.com/Official_Wasteland_3_Wiki
More will be added if you goons want

Reviews!

Anno posted:

Reviews seem to be hitting now and look very good from what I’ve seen.

OpenCritic: https://opencritic.com/game/9140/wasteland-3
MetaCritic: https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/wasteland-3

Nephthys posted:

Oh hey, looks like spoilers are up about the (currently known) companions and their builds: https://www.pcinvasion.com/wasteland-3-recruit-companion-guide/
For heretics like myself who like to meticulously plan your team, should be useful.
Edit: Convenient timing lol

Sardikar posted:

Found music from the game.

if this is the effort they are putting into the game I have a feeling this one is going to be special...as in Fallout New Vegas special.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXeHwhLPKz8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6e7J9GuCo9Y

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Oct 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
*****Update******

Mini review and non spoilers: XBox One and Normal Diff.
The Good: So much. Game is pretty. No perma brown or sick green filter so yay. Some parts pretty, some parts scary but very well done. Combat can be tough but far more forgiving than XCom. More refined than Wasteland 2. Story is great. Loved every quest and sidequest. The writing and humour are top notch and the humour really doesn't overtake the game overall and get grating. Really the whole game is far more polished. If you liked anything about Wasteland 2 you will love this. If you like the original Fallouts (including New vegas) you will love this. If you like PoE or most RPGs you might find a new gem. I just finished the game and immediately went back for a second run because I missed things. Not because of OCD but because I genuinely didn't want the ride to end. Good sign.
The Bad Its got release bugs. Crash to Desktop: Seems to be mainly when I'm going from the inventory screen. Happens multiple times a day if I play 8 hours. Hoping this will be fixed soon as this game is so much drat fun. I save often so it's not going to make me rawr but it is annoying. Quirk Medical Marvel: Glitchy. The xtra HP is nice but if the guy dies then it marks him with a message as unable to revive in combat.... after combat. The guy can also be buggy even if right about to drop (fire or bleeding) and can also be marked as dead. Close out of the game and reload a save seems to be the fix. NPC's using energy weapons: they seem to do the same kinda damage to my guys they would on bots. I'm assuming the -30% damage should apply but it doesn't seem to. Non bot enemies take the -30% damage. Also equipment that raises a rank have a particular issue. So as an example: my Hard rear end skill is 2. I have an accessory that raises the skill+1 for a total of three. My guy levels up and I go to check for skills? It wants me to raise to 4 and pay the new 3 skill points. I take off the trinket and it goes back down to 2 and I pay 1 point to raise. If I had instead paid the increase skill points to raise a skill then take off the trinket? I'm back down to 2 with no returned skill points. Ow. A few minor glitches but the main thing are the things listed above.

edit 2 **bug testing update**: retested the trinket + skill point glitch and this time it refunded the extra spent points. My example is a guy with mechanics 3 is bumped up to 5 due to trinkets/accessories. It said to raise skill was 3 but it only took 2skill points. So... maybe it was a temp glitch? Tried it three times and no skill points disappeared so.... yay?

Rating: Good Turn Based RPG. What flaws it has are often seen release glitch. I paid full price and don't regret it.

So important things..
Character Creation and Growth
Backgrounds - Gives you a slight bonus with some backstory. Mostly nothing game changing but just a minor version of Quirks from Fallout or Wasteland2. One example that is a nice bonus was Bookworm which gave you a bonus to xp and said you grew up at the Ag Centre. Another background that I chose was metal and when I chose it guitars sounded. Metal. Vicious Avenger gives you +2 to penetration and really nice.
"Disciple of the Metal!!! Choose this at least once. +25% Fire damage. Explodomaniac gives you the same to explosives. The Avenger perk is really good but not overpowered. Really a good chunk of them are cool except the obvious +1 to speech, barter or perception ones. I almost wish the speech/barter ones would just take you up the first rank (so that means +3 to speech) as that wouldn't be that OP (considering only 3 skill points) but effective enough to be chosen. The +1 perception is lame. Even a +1 to awareness would be better as that gives you a slight increase to other things. I will probably never take stoner but the text amuses me."
Quirks - did you play New Vegas? Then you can guess this. You get a positive bonus with an accompanying negative. Sometimes it works out better in the long run and, other times, its just rear end. You can choose not to take one.
"Yeah the Prospector is something different to choose and you make a little money. Not bad but nothing overwhelming. Other than medical marvel being bugged for me its good but not overpowered. Still avoiding it in the future as it sucks when your guy drops and it bugs out. Poindexter is cool for your nerd as long as you get their str to like 4 as soon as you can. You get a little bit of hp growth so you aren't one shotted. I took it on my leader and she stands a bit back from the front using buffs and debuffs (leadership is a fun perk tree) or heals with the occasional auto shot. Pyro is my favourite as with high explosives and big guns he just makes everything light up or go boom."

Attributes Update from Beta- You go from 1 to 10 and you gain another point every 3 levels. Per Retcon Raider the calculations show you will get 69 points total if they cap the level at 50 and that means you will be one point from maxing out all attributes. Having any Attribute at max gives you an even further bonus. There are things out there that can raise an attribute point for the party called Ugly dolls that you find in the wild.
Coordination - This gives you action points (aka AP from here on out) for every 2 points as well as max action points you can have per round. Good for everyone but not as much for snipers as you would think. Even at 8 I still can fire one shot. Melee/Brawl/small arms? As much as you can. Assault Rifles and Big Guns I normally got to at least 6 and then decided if I could go higher. I'd say this is at worst, your tertiary attribute in order to max.
Luck - was a total dump stat in w2. Now? Like W2 there's a proc for all kinds of stuff. The list goes from mega crits, damage, hp from heals, bonus action points, evade and even money. Sounds like "meh" but it also touches on penetration. Armour penetration. Every 2 points gets you +1 penetration. Update and opinion It's still a dump stat. It's ok but went with one guy having a max luck and many more with barely anything and although I saw some difference it was not enough to justify spending points in it.
*further update* Goon itry actually maxxed his luck and says it's good. He says the extra eevrything constantly proc. Here is his brawler
https://imgur.com/KkdswDm
So goons.... I say choose your own path
Awareness - adds to hit chance and perception. Perception is now tied to your awareness score so you aren't buying a skill. Also ranged damage bonus. So.... I guess my scout snipers I played in W2 will be the new norm.Update and Opinion having one sniper with this is great. If you don't for the other guys? Didn't really see much difference. You might miss a tiny bit more but if you put points into the weapons then it just didn't seem essential.
Strength - Melee damage bonus + max con per level + starting con +throwing range. All weapons and armour have weight restrictions. If you don't meet those then you suffer penalties. Try to get str at last halfway decent so the hp per level increase is as good as it can be. The penalties suck fairly hard and you don't want to use it. Update and Opinion lots of HP is nice. You have someone with 2-3 str and they will get one shot for most of the game. Raise this up to at least 4 to 5 as soon as you can to get those delicious bonuses to hp per level. You want at least 3 people with 8 strength as the best armours of the game require that to use. You always want to use armour/weapons that you meet the requirements for as the minuses are really bad. You want your melee guys at 10 strength as you will notice the hp and melee damage bonuses.
Speed - Quickness and reaction time. Bonus to evasion and initiative. Initiative is now only important if you don't initiate combat. Will tell you more when I find out. Also still helps you move further in combat with eating less action points. That part is super useful for melee only but meh for other guys. Opinion: don't go to 10 as its a waste but it is nice
Intelligence - *no longer THE SKILL super stat but still a SUPER stat* - Nerfed- Bonus to crit chance and crit damage. Important notes are that your natural crit chance is 0. Ew. Also you do get +1 skill points for every 2 in Int but its just at character creation. Afterwards it's 3 points per level unless you do Poindexter quirk. Update and OpinionVery nice for the crits. Crits to damage and crits to heal. Really nice and essential for snipers, explosive guys, healers and melee/brawler types. Opinion: 10 for snipers is essential. 10 for healers is amazing. You don't HAVE to have 10 for brawlers and melee but it really does make a difference. I like having at least 5 for everyone as crits can change a battle
CharismaLeadership range as before and "strike rate" bonus. Strike rate is how quick you fill up your precision or special attack. Precision strikes auto hit now so yay and they are super powerful. Charisma is also great with Leadership as leadership not only improves your chance to hit but all kinds of bonuses on kills and revives. Also your bonus to mission rewards bonus (aka xp bonus) applies to everyone. It stacks too. For everyone.QUE Gary Oldman

Update and opinion Cha is amazing. Always worth taking at least midway as precision attacks are nice and always hit. Partnered with high int and you can get an auto hit crit. Do you have to max Cha? No. On my small arms guys I was fine with 4-5. Most guys are fine there with the exception of your leader. A leader with 10 charisma should be the rule. Her SMGs shotgun precision attacks have helped so many times in the worst of battles. I just wouldn't say everyone has to be sitting at 10 charisma or even above 6.
Skills - the bread and butter. 1-10. When you max out a skill you get an added bonus that is rather large and worth it. The breakdown for points is
rank 1-3 - 1 point
rank 4-5 - 2 point
rank 6-7 - 3 point
rank 8 - 4 point
rank 9 - 5 point
rank 10 - 6 point

Not so bad when you think about it. Nor that different from W2. There's quite a few skills but to quickly sum it up you got non combat skills and combat skills.
Combat Skills - affect base chance to hit and crit. Also, depending on the skill, every so often you unlock a perk. Those are fun.
Non Combat Skills - Speech, lockpicking, safes, demolitions and so on. Lots of skill checks. No more save scumming because you fail a dice roll. Skills have level requirements. You don't meet it? Then you can't unlock the safe or you will make the bomb go boom or the alarm trigger. In conversations you see the red text that you cant click on. Note*Animal Handling is awesome and can lead to your party becoming powerful with lots of animal pals- be warned they can die and you cant rez them.

Perks - Fun Perks. Every so often you can get a perk. If you played most other RPGs you can guess what it does. Examples of perks range from adding bonus hp, resisting crits and improving armour to opportunities of attack, chance to stun or cut your shooting action points down if you dont move. In beta you get your first perk point at 4 and then every 2 levels after. Some perks are open at your level (like the more hp one) and others are unlocked as you progress your skills. Example of that is at Sniper Rifles 2 you get mark target. Mark Target is an active skill paints the baddie with a permanent bonus to hit and damage. In W3 some perks are passive and some are active skills. Note: animal handling has a perk that grants you more con and damage at 3 so get that if you have a pet.

Weapons - weaponsmithing is a skill to mod and improve weapons as before.
Like I said before you got many types. Quick Summary
Sniper Rifles - Long range, High Armour Pen, High Damage, Precision Strikes but High Ap Cost, expensive Ammo, suck at short range. Best usage is move little, mark and fire often. High AP cost means they won't fire (usually) more than once a turn. Good news is that means your snipers can max their Awareness and put points into intel. Honestly 4 Coord felt just right for most of the game. 8 coord and I still didn't fire twice. Didn't do 10 as I wanted max awareness and upper INT. Might try it on my second run. 6 coord did usually give me enough to Mark and shoot. Other sniper perks are nice but the level 10 one I did not see hit. By the time I got it I don't think ambush one shot any baddies. Wish they'd move that to 4 sniper rifle instead. All around they aren't the tools they were in W2 where 2 Snipers would almost lower the difficulty. They are an effective puller and starter of combat but one is enough.
Explosives (the new King of Combat) and Big Guns- Flamethrowers as well as Heavy machine guns. Note: Flamethrowers bypass physical armour. **update because they are awesome* - Big guns are freakin cool. Why did I add Explosives to the mix? Because a good skill that has perks that sync well with flamethrowers which are heavy weapons. Flamers take bypass armour, take a chunk of total health and can debuff. LMG/HMGs are also fairly good but I got into this game wanting to light poo poo on fire goddamit! Be careful as flamer debuffs will heat and damage your team. Be smart and you will be fine. Explosives also bypass armour and they are great. A guy kitted out with a high mechanics and toaster gets freakin evil perks that increase both flame resistance and damage to vehicles and bots. Also you get a nice ordinance fire with your Zookas/RPGs that does NOT consume ammo. Choose wisely and flamethrowers are viable all game. My guy rocks a RPG and a flamethrower. Also has grenade for equipment. This setup will win boss fights. Explosives are also 100% accurate. Use this on at least one guy.
edit: Flamers are cool until mid game. Then they peter off. Even taking every buff and perk I could, I still couldn't keep up. :mediocre: Explosives are still king
Handguns and Shotguns: All in a nice package called Small arms. Less than impressive in w2 they are buffed in W3. Great all game. Cheap ammo and low AP cost make up for short range and lower Pen. Some shotguns have a built in special shot that doesn't do cone damage for low AP cost and that is pretty sweet. Some pistols have something similar for lower accuracy. Very much worth taking. Auto shotguns are nasty and the endgame auto shotgun is INSANE.
SMGs- updated info. Still cheap ammo but now are contained and get bonuses in two different skill trees: automatic weapons and small arms. Good for them. Shorter range and often less pen but still very nasty and they use really plentiful ammo. Arguably better than Assault rifles as they carry a slightly lower Armor Pen but fire more. Check out the x number by fire rate. I remember finding SMGs with similar damage and something like x5 or x7 midgame. Assault Rifles were x3. Put a nice + damage mod on the weapon and now you have a nasty chunk of damage. If someone else damages the armor first (precision shot) then you can combo with your SMG for huge amounts. Really freakin good.
Assault Rifle - :mediocre: all around weapon that is sadly outclassed by SMGs. For a tiny bit more of range and penetration you miss out of rate of fire. Rate of fire is king. Suggestion for devs: up range, penetration and damage or maybe just a bit more rate of fire instead of damage. I'd go damage. Again :mediocre:
Energy Weapons - In W2: THEY SUUUUUUUUUUCKed. W3 they do nice versus bots but I've managed without them. Good thing is all energy weapons now go in other slots like automatic, big guns or small arms. Good alternative choice for your secondary slot. A game bug means so far you count as a bot with energy weapon enemies so plan your attack carefully. The extra damage 30% versus bots and vehicles are nice but not essential in my opinion but you will get some late game weapons that make it worth it. Far better than they were in Wasteland 2 and a good step forward.
<former>~Kings of Combat~
Note: Melee and Brawling are late bloomers. Seemed to get over the hump with 7str, 6 coord and 5 speed. Melee only at 6 as my guy also specialized in lockpicking, hard rear end and stealth cuz he's the goddamn Bat! At first they will suck. I took like 2 of another weapon skill and that helped my initial guy escape the hump. Strength and Coord max is where I went with an int and cha at least midway and speed as high as you can. Int brings crits and that is essential, cha brings your special which is nice but your speed gets you to move around and use all that coordination and strength to do damage. My main melee guy ended at 10 str, 10 coord and like 8 speed with 5 or 6 in int and cha. Luck and Awareness were dump stats. He did great. Plenty of time to rush the enemy with still enough to crit and build up special. 10 speed is worthwhile but I wanted to have good cha and int so it was a choice that i feel fairly good on. Perks are delicious but I want more. I miss samurai and some other perks from w2. Especially attacks of opportunity.
Blades and Blunt: Now in the melee category. Both are good weapons that get better over time. Some guys say damage and perks are slightly better with blunt but blade is really good all the way to endgame. There is a perk to give you a free 3rd attack as well another that is a charge = crit perk that is essential for blade users. Melee is very effective and I'm a blade guy all the way. Also chainsword ala 40k in the game.
Brawling - The former king of kombat and still arguably is but later on in the game. Low base damage but high crit chance and super low AP cost. Some perks make you punch even more. Also a combo meter that builds as you punch guys until you finish them off via finishing move. One perk lowered the ap cost so punches were like 1 ap and you hit them like 20 times before the final shoruken. I think someone used to get high while watching Fist of the Northstar. My only argument is that your punchy dude will focus his entire turn on one guy but my stabby guy? Charge attacks and extra 3rd attack give me a good chance to kill multiple scrubs a turn. One big bad? Send Fisto. Lots of baddies or a mix? Send a blade.

also
Fire damage: My METAL background <cue guitar- no seriously choose it and hear> , pyromaniac just roasts people. Took the perk to add a minus to enemies on fire and, even if the damage lacks compared to others, my flamethrower is a serious setup for my melee/brawl guys. This works until midgame when fire damage just doesn't cut it any more. I did take the + damage to robots and vehicles and he is also my explosives guy. I do wish I could choose the longer range/narrow cone option you could get for real life flamethrowers. Also a damage bonus and more Flame Assault Rifles would be nice. Maybe stronger debuffs... flamethrowers are just weak after mid game. Big guns luckily lets you get access to the minigun later which is worth it.
But yeah.... explosives are the new king of the wasteland. Fire is nice when you do the right build and I really like the debuff perks that go with it but :mediocre: after midgame and nothing rocks like explosives. That auto bypassing of armour is just brutal.

Companions -
These are the NPCs that can accompany you when you meet them. Unlike generic NPCS they will follow your orders and won't blindly charge into certain death. Their stats aren't as awful as they were in w2. Generally fairly useful and you can get some nice flavour if they go to certain zones that meet their background.

Errata and Miscellany
Armour - Strength are gatekeepers to the types of armour you can wear. There is now a skill to mod and improve armour. Armour can also give bonuses to stats.
Trinkets/Accessories - rando objects you can wear that often act like small time perks or quirks. I'm running with a few now that give +1 a stat or some added bonus to xp or crit. My favourite from W2 was the Inverted Four Leaf Clover. It was that minus luck one I mentioned and had great bonuses but the text under the trinket said "PRAISE SATAN AND HIS INFERNAL MAJESTY" and I had to throw the horns and make a metal face every time I read it.
Cybernetics - new to wasteland 3 - uses up trinket spot. You gotta be a cyborg. Do you wanna be a cyborg? You get some awesome perks but the older games made it seem like adding tech to yourself is bad? Is it? Maybe a DC or sequel might tell us. A nice simple one you can get quick with first aid is a armour plus that really is nice. Others of notes are lazer eyes and a pbaoe damage.

Random notes of enjoyment: Major Tom is amazing. Seriously I love this character and any dlc need to make him revivable as I am paranoid of him dying. Love that a family I saved were amazed by the Ranger Cat in a hat. Lots of choice Animal Companions in this game. Only malus for this is you can't rez your aminal pal if he dies so... prepare to cry.

Another note: You don't have to have 4 customer or creater chosen characters. Only two. So if you want to run with more companions you can. Custom characters do let you tweak their stats so I went with three. Companions also have cute little bits to add flavour. Examples are your surviving Arizona Ranger sniper singing along with a busker or dialogue with various people in different areas. One companion (won't say who) has a big tie to certain events in the game and is worth taking at least once.

Wolfe's Hunt: So I was back and forth with this one. On one hand the robot had a kid's voice and I felt sorry for him and on the other Gary Wolfe is a racist prick. Yeah the bot said he would probably kill and I was being super naive by not killing him but Gary Wolfe 1) was never recruited in my games as w2 made it hard and it wasn't that good so he was stolen valour as far as I'm concerned 2) Wolfe and company shot up the town a =nd expecting me to clean their mess and 3) called me a simp and a race traitor. Yeah the bot did immediately kill someone going over the wall and carved "thank you for helping me escape" into the corpse so I know this is going to bite me in the rear end but I didn't see anyone else choose this in the walkthrough (was curious) and hoping that Wolfe bites it hard. gently caress that dude.This also fits my naive good guy that means well but is so hosed.

Spoilery hints of things you don't need to invest in with initial guys
Really early companions bring assault rifles, kiss rear end, sneaky poo poo, weapon mods and barter so there is some room at the start. First aid is a great skill to have at least 1 rank in. You don't need animal whisperer to get Major Tom as if you save her Jodie Bell and talk to her she gives you ciggs to get him to be your friend. A cat in a hat who smokes. gently caress Major Tom is awesome. Animal Whisperer does give you some cute dialogue. You get both a storyline important Brawling cyborg companion later on and a nonessential melee companion later on. My suggestion is go melee for your custom ranger

Suggestions:
Barter 7 has a perk for selling junk and finding the occasional antique. *UPDATE- antique dealer got nerfed but still does some nice income but no longer quite the same money it used to be*You get a companion later already invested in barter so just up hers and keep her around.

Weapon and Armour Modding: Skill points are limited and putting a bunch into one or both can hurt their battlefield performance. One way to get around this is to make a custom Ranger and sit his rear end at base. I called mine the Mad Mod. Max INT as its the only thing they need and go to quirk. If you give them Poindexter at creation then go back to skills you get a nice bump in skill points. If you go back and every once in a while swap out one of your guys then bring in your modder he will keep up with your level. Soon you have max everything. Also give him the perks for more junk parts and occasional mods and you can save all those junk guns you find. You will be swimming in mods. Once you are done swap back out and leave him at base and take your guy. All is well. Note: don't do this with your two starting Rangers as I've seen bugs where you lose skill points. Swap other companions for your mod.

Weapon and Armour Mods themselves: late game mods suck. No way around it. Giant minuses for ok increases. Early and mid game mods are better. One mod I liked was a simple +1 armour and +1 quick slot mod. If you found a guy that has these mods you like? Well once they are out then you are SOL.... until you aren't. Buy every bit of their inventory and they will refresh their total, including mods. Now you got nice mods. Don't feel cheap as otherwise there is no way to preserve or keep armour mods.

First Aid and Mechanics: Really essential and can change battles. First Aid gives you access to healing devices as well as more health per heal and revive PLUS a few skill/speech checks. Combines with a high int for healing crits and your healer or healers can save battles. One thing that is essential is the simple level 4 first aid healing dart. Now you can toss that at someone as opposed to being right next to them to use the healing kit.

Mechanics gives you damage to vehicles, synths and bots as well as open up to repair skills AND the ability to toss some bots yourself. You will be outnumbered most of the time and outgunned in the beginning to the middle. One way to help with this? Pop a turret or toss a bot. Discobots and Sawdogs are cheap to pop down (3 ap) and can distract an enemy from attacking you on top of dishing some damage.

Essentially I have a sniper with 4 first aid and 4 mechanics. She heals when I need or pops a turret when she can't shoot. For a small investment you gain so much.

Animal Whisperer: Want an animal pal? Of course you do. If you go this spend only three points and get the perk Animal training for pet health and damage bonus. Pets are great but if they die then they are ded. Also they have a tendency to charge blindly at the bad guy. Good thing is they are rather hardy and you can have multiple. Three guys with Animal Whisperer skill three plus and that perk get three very nice tanky pets that will charge ahead and lock down chunks of baddies. You pop down a turret and have a Ranger that is a melee or brawling and you got a nasty front line while your other guys shot from afar. Be warned that big guns have a tendency to hurt you pet pals. Also explosives can ruin their day. Good news is you can heal them like any NPC or PC.

Sneak Rockets: Explosives are king. You know what also is good? Sneak attack damage bonus. What is amazing? Combining the two like some kind of oreo made of fire and the screams of your enemy. Starting battles with a sneak rocket always amuse me. Max Boom and max sneak with accompanying perks means this will win the battle before you even begin. BOOM bitches.

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Oct 17, 2020

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
*******************************PERK CHAT********************************************
This will discuss perks and semi ripped from https://wasteland.gamepedia.com/Wasteland_3_perks with notes from myself or other goons added. This will hopefully help you steer clear of perks that are teh suq.

Generic Perks - anyone can take these perks at any level. There are also "special" perks that can be gained by quests and other means that don't require you spend a perk point.
-Deep Pockets- +1 Quick Slot. Dog Note(aka DN from here on out): Bloody great for any mechanics or first aid guys. Pop a bot - toss a heal. Very nice and I'd say essential for your mechanics. If you take explosives on your mech you can also put a plasma grenade in there.
Hardened Armor +2 - DN: I like it and take it for everyone. Very helpful at low levels and still decent higher up.
Healthy Max Con +35 - DN: Fairly decent at lower levels but 35hp isn't going to be that much after a bit.
Quick Reflexes Evasion +5% - DN: for most people it's ok but for your melee guy that might have really good evasion anyway? This can help take i his evasion over the edge
Weathered Crit Resistance +10% - DN: on paper doesn't seem much but in practice it's fairly nice. My melee guy took the perk and it did save him. If you have really low HP and don't get shot often this is probably a waste.

Special Perks
Name Effect How to unlock
Biotech Serum
Game Master Recruit Quarex for Ranger HQ
Investigative Eye +1 Perception. Recruit V.I.C.I. for Ranger HQ
Marshal Training +2 m leadership radius Recruit Frank Pappas
Ranger Survivor +5% healing received Save La Loca and Rook at Aspen
Tuned Up
Vehicular Combat +5% damage to vehicles Recruit Randy Gett during Thicker Than Water
Illustratio +1 Perception. Deliver the Owl of Minerva token to The Provost and visit the Mysterious Cave
Eye of Tarjan +1% Cold resistance, +2 Penetration Turn in Tarjan token at The Bizarre
Fortune Cookie +15 CON Turn in Tarjan token at The Bizarre
Precognition +10% Evasion Turn in Tarjan token at The Bizarre - DN: add this to your already high evasion melee guy. Combine this with the general perkand you got +15 evasion. Can turn your melee guy into an insane tank of death.
Cyborg Tech Allows for using cybernetic upgrades
Buy and use the cyborg tech control unit (unlimited)
Use the Suture Self unit during One of Us (one time)

Combat Skill Perks - number before the name is what level of that skill you need to unlock.
Automatic
2 Puncturing Shot Adds the Puncturing Shot ability (5 AP) - BN: Crack that armor and make him hurt. Only minus is 5AP instead of 4 AP. Worth getting BUT bear in mind the 5ap before getting too excited.
3 Gopher Hunter Enemies have 25% less benefit from Cover when attacking them - DN: Essential. Take this. Great perk. Seems to touch any weapon. Tested and saw my explosive guy do a bit more damage.
4 Spray N Pray Adds the Spray 'N' Pray ability (5 AP) -2x RoF but -25% to hit. Late game blossoming perk. Take this with the Ripper for good times. Not quite essential but can be a lot of damage and fun.
6 Reckless Gain +15% damage with Submachine Guns while not in cover. DN: excellent swap of damage and vulnerability. Bear in mind you can still use natural environment and teammates to block Line of Sight (LoS). Great combined with another future perk. Bear in mind you want to make sure your SMG user can take a hit if it happens.
7 Double Tap If you attack a target twice in a row with an Assault Rifle, the second is always a critical hit. DN: note - ARs suck but if you must use an AR then take this. It's ok. ARs are still :mediocre:
8 Stormer If you move more than 5 spaces, your next SMG attack costs no AP (once per turn). DN: remember that future perk I mentioned with Reckless? Here it is. What is even nicer is that this stacks insanely well with ....
update: see notes below

limp_cheese posted:

After some testing here is what I've got. Stormer works with your special attack but not Spray and Pray. Spray and Pray after Stormer is actually worse because it still charges you the 5 AP but you don't get the free shot afterward. I didn't know that about Stormer working with your special attack and was a nice surprise.
10 Trigger Happy Killing an enemy with an automatic weapon gives +3 AP. DN: So if you went properly into SMGs you took Reckless. Stormer and now this. So your funtime SMG guy rushes the enemy pops him one or three (since free attack) and since he will more than likely kill the guy he's charging get +3 ap which is 1 away from another attack. Only disadvantage is running out of ammo.
DN: Automatic tree and SMGs are a wonderful pairing.
Big Guns
2 Move Up! Gain +0.5 Combat Speed on the first turn of combat while using Big Guns - DN: It's ok I guess. Better for flamer dude but on LMG guy not quite as needed. Still it does mean you can run a bunch closer and hug cover while still getting to fire and toss a bot. I always took it but I feel like it might have not been as needed as I first thought.
3 Suppressing Fire Grants the Suppressing Fire ability (5 AP) - DN: its Good. Nice narrow cone attack (100%) that also debuffs (-0.8 combat speed and -20% to hit chance) and does 300% extra damage if your leader did the leadership debuff. It's good and 5ap.
4 Terrorizer Flamethrowers Engulf characters, reducing their Hit Chance by -15%.- DN: <sigh> I want to love flamethrowers more. IF you do flamers then this is your perk. I wish it was more and did more but the same could be said of flamethrowers in general. Waste of perk points since flamers are done not long after the Bizarre.
7 Pressure Cooker Grants the Pressure Cooker ability (5 AP)-. DN: 40% con damage over 2 turns AND enemy vehicles dont take any actions? OMG this perk is.... bad. Looks so good on paper but enemy vehicles don't run you over and you can take a hit so a waste of a perk to disable them. Just blow them up instead.
8 Steady Shot Gain +20% Evasion and +10% Hit Chance in Low Cover when using a heavy machine gun. - DN: so I took it once and it's fairly ok. There's lots of low cover but not always guaranteed. IF you got low cover and IF you can reach it and still be a viable position all battle it is worth it. Lots of ifs there. Up to you but I took it once after 2 and a half games.
10 Wide Spread Increase the firing arc of HMGs and Flamethrowers by +35%. - DN: Flamethrowers suck. Big guns? Don't need it that much. Ignore.
Brawling - mostly relates to c-c-c-combo points
2 Shaolin Surprise Grants the Shaolin Surprise ability (2 AP). - DN: armor breaking finisher. +2ap and +10 damage for every combo point *THIS IS YOUR FINISHER AND WILL DO INSANE DAMAGE ONCE YOU HIT HIM A BUNCH FIRST*
5 Extreme Combo Brawling combo maximum increased to 10x. -DN: combos are built by basic attacks. You won't reach the 10x max until you max brawling and get the level 10 perk. Seems like a waste to put at 5. Id move flurry to 7 and deadly combo to 5
7 Deadly Combo Brawling combo Critical Chance increased by 2x - DN: honestly i like this perk but wish it was lower
10 Flurry of Blows Brawling attacks cost -1 AP - brawling is mediocre until you get this perk. GET THIS PERK!!!! Seriously every brawler should have this.
Melee - DN: not a fan of splitting perks between blunt and blade. Makes everything feel anemic.
2 Bleeding Strike (Blade) Unlocks Ability: Bleeding Strike. 4 AP Bladed Weapon attack deals 200% of Weapon Damage at -20% Hit Chance, and applies Bleeding on target. Deals an additional 200% Weapon Damage on Burning targets. - DN: Its ok. When you hit. The negative 20% really hurts and honestly I'd rather just regular hit than have a higher chance to NOT hit. Also its 4 ap instead of your 3 ap attack. Meh.
4 Stunning Blow (Blunt) Unlocks Ability: Stunning Blow. 5 AP Blunt Weapon attack deals 100% of Weapon Damage at -15% Hit Chance, and applies Stunned on target. Deals an additional 100% Weapon Damage on Frozen targets. DN: again when it hits its great. Also hate slipping up action perks. Meh again.
5 Striking Distance (any) - adds + .5 to attack speed if you have two melee weapons equipped in each slot - DN: gently caress yeah - shared perk. Get this as you are going to melee and you are now you add even more to your (probably) impressive speed. ZOOOM!
6 Bloodsport (Blunt) - Blunt Weapons deal Critical Hits on Blind and/or Stunned targets. - DN: so if you can find a stunned or blind target is the only time this comes into play? PASS
7 Hack N Slash (Blade) - When attacking the same target twice in a row with a Bladed Weapon, gain an additional attack. DN: Does this sound good? Well it is loving amazing. Turns your melee guy into a proper damage dealer. ONLY blade so that hurts. Luckily the chainsword is a good one to take late game. FOR THE EMPHRAH!
8 Pursuit (Any) - move more than 3 spaces and you get a +25% to crit and +100% to crit if they are slowed (from caltrops or shooting precision strikes in the leg) - DN: very much worth taking. Charge forward like a Conan and deliver the enemy to Crom. You see the three I really like here? This will make your melee guy worth it.
10 Shrug it Off (Blunt) - While using a Blunt Weapon, gain +2 Armor for any enemy right next to you in combat. DN: hmmm.... way too high for what it is (W2 perk: Samurai buffed and placed at 10) and you cant use your chainsword. Nice bit tho.... you can charge and attack and use up your AP THEN switch weapons and end your turn. Enemy turn they hit versus +2 AC. Of course.... that doesn't seem like much right? Really should have been lower and without the weapon class perk. Meh.

Small Arms
2 Shredder Shot Grants the Shredder Shot ability (4 AP) - DN: Damage + bleed. Not bad
3 Opportunist Your Strike Meter charges a bonus 5% with each successful handgun attack -DN: meh. Later on you will probably want to take a shotFUN aka Jackhammer so this will be wasted. Meh even if you are into pistols. Id ignore.
5 Trick Shot Grants the Trick Shot ability (4 AP). DN Controversial opinion: Its ok. +3 ap if it hit and your strike meter insta fills and you do +100% damage if marked but.... its -50% to hit and handgun only. Tried using this a bunch and missed a bunch. It's ok.
6 Clear Cover Shotguns do +100% damage vs. Cover. - DN: So soft cover gets melted. With your Jackhammer and you will kill many a whatever hiding behind cover. BOOM BOOM - BOOM BOOM.
7 Draw! Your first attack after reloading an empty weapon costs no AP. - DN: this applies to ANY WEAPON. Charge+shoot and run out of ammo then shoot again. Shotgun essential.
8 Devastation Shotgun attacks gain +25% damage for each enemy hit by the same shot. - DN: SHOTGUN ESSENTIAL. You put that crazy noozle that turns your cone into a line? Still works. Big giant cone? Still works. On an auto shotgun this is insane. Jackhammer needs this. You need this.
10 Counter-Offensive Attacking a melee enemy on the turn after they hit you deals +50% damage. DN: the gently caress outta here....sux.
Sniper
2 Mark Target Grants the Mark Target ability (2 AP). DN controversial opinion: It's good unless you are a mech bot tosser. In most real tussles I'd rather toss a bot than not BUT that 2ap gives a debuff that gives the enemy -15% evasion and +50% damage taken from precision strikes. See... if I have 10 ap and my leader does rally I can shoot twice with a sniper rifle or snipe and toss some bots/heal. I didn't use as much after midgame.
5 Masterful Precision Precision Strikes with sniper rifles have significantly higher chances of inflicting critical effects. - DN: no known number behind that but I did crit more and insta kill with my sniper. Granted this was mid game and I had a high INT. With max int/close to max int and whatnot you want to crit with you snipers.
7 Concentration Gain +10% hit chance with sniper rifles if you don't move for 1 turn. DN: subjectively good. Can you turtle down somewhere and snipe? More than likely. Will you? Up to the player. Is it worth not moving AND a perk point for just +10 to hit? I'm not sure..... I know if I don't take this I really don't notice a difference.
10 Chain Ambush Ambush attacks with sniper rifles that kill your target don't end the ambush. DN controversial opinion: waste of perk point. On paper looks great but usually nobody is out of range of my sniper or if they are they will rush my melee squad. My melee squad (animals + melee guy) will rush out ahead so if my sniper is NOT in range he will have to move up to cover them. I so wanted to love this but it was never used. Never. So logically that means this is a waste. If I was in a game where I had no pets and could make a static gunline this might be great but I have pets and a melee guy.
General Skills Perks
Animal Whisperer
3 Animal Training Animal Companions gain bonus CON and damage - DN: THE essential perk for anyone who likes pet companions. If you don't take this YOU HATE BABY PUPPIES AND KITTENS YOU MONSTER! This makes those four legged buddies of yours much more survivable. Take it.
5 Spirit Animal Animal Companions provide improved passive bonuses. - DN: cool but not essential. Got extra perks?
7 Vengeful Bond If your Animal Companion drops to 25% CON, gain +50% Critical Chance and +2 AP. DN: so... so many other places to put perks. You know what is a waste? A minor buff perk that only comes into effect in very rare situations you might never have happen AND if they do happen? It's going to amount to gently caress all.
Explosives
2 Duck and Cover Fire and Explosive Resistances +20% - DN: There are quirks which give you damage bonus to kaboom with a chance you also get hit. This is the perk to help you with that. Also just a good idea for your explosive guy in general. Is it essential? Not really but it is nice
3 Bomb Recovery Disarming land mines has a 33% chance to drop a grenade - DN: I loved this perk in w2 but here? Meh. I mostly got regular frag grenades and nothing else so I reloaded and ditched the perk. Also that 33% chance sure seemed to fail a lot. Also grenades? Not that rare. BAD PERK!
4 Minesweeper You no longer set off land mines when stepping on them - DN: cool and all but cautious playing can also accomplish this. The rare mishap isn't THAT bad if you are careful. Up to you but I found it a waste.
5 Mortar Blast Grants the Mortar Blast ability (7 AP) - DN controversial opinion: I wanted to love this SOOOoooooo much. So you do get a lovely blast that doesn't need LoS and applies your full damage right at the enemies turn. Sounds good right? But you can't switch weapons so you gotta keep your RPG/Bazooka and reload after you fire. Then you can go boom. I did use it once to great effectiveness outside the gippers when an entire zone of genestealers decided to rush me. Other than that I never used. Next game I did not take it again. Doubt I will in the future.
7 High Impact Targets directly hit by rockets or grenades are automatic Critical Hits - DN: use your targeting to shoot at a guy and watch him take extra damage. I like it and use it but does not apply if you move that nice pie to indirectly hit him with damage.
10 Blast Radius Grenade blast radius and other AoE abilities gain +40% radius DN: OMG a great level 10 perk! It's like a unicorn! Essential and great perk. Get it.
First Aid - Just gonna sum this up here. Nothing is essential or that great and skill all of this
1 Emergency Response When an ally is Downed in battle, gain +1 Combat Speed for 2 turns
5 Overhealing Using healing items also boosts the target's max CON by +25% for 3 turns
7 Physical Therapy Reviving allies has a chance of buffing them (+6% per First Aid level)
10 Hypocritic Oath Gain +50% damage for 2 turns after reviving a downed ally.
Weird Science - bear in mind WS increases damage to cold/energy and fire per point spent
3 Overcharge Adds Overcharge ability (1 AP) -DN: never used it. 5% chance your weapon blows up and only bonus damage buff on next attacks. Nope.
6 Microwave Research Energy damage is increased by 0.5 for every point of Armor the target has DN: bot only perk (as otherwise why are you shooting at a non bot with an energy weapon) that gives damage for armor. Lame.
9 Conductive Beams Energy attacks have a 10% chance to electrocute enemies, dealing Energy damage to them and anyone standing nearby for 2 turns. DN: Might be kinda cool IF it wasn't FF (and kill your pet buddies) and IF it wasn't bot only. Bot only? Why would you attack anything else with energy? Hella lame.

Exploration Skill Perks
Armor Modding - Do not take this on guys you take with you. Keep on a modder custom ranger at base. Don't take him out of base or only on special field trips. DONT WASTE skill points or perk points on modder sills.
10 Tender Loving Care All squad members gain +5 Armor while the perk owner is present. DN: would be super cool but it requires 10 levels of armor modding and a perk point. Total waste. On your base modder guy? Sure as what else is he going to take?
Nerd Stuff
3 Targeting Override Robots you hack will now be attacked by other enemies. - DN: you ever noticed they are anyway?
5 Electric Leakage Hacked robots emit an electric burst every turn, dealing Energy Damage to enemies nearby. - DN: how often do you hack bots? Seldom? So.... this would only apply how often? Might be cool if it happened to mech turrets/bots you tossed but it doesn't so pass.
7 Overclock Hacked robots gain +2 AP. - DN: <sigh>
Mechanics
3 Structural Weakness Bonus damage to Robots and Vehicles +20% - DN: this is how you do a passive perk. Just bots and vehicles but 20% bonus damage? Yes please! Makes a big difference so take it and enjoy.
4 Handy Deployables gain +25% CON and deal +25% damage - DN: like the AW buff but for tossed bots? Weirdly they become far more tanky and I swear it's more than 25% or maybe some bonus AC or something. Either way if you go bot heavy, as I do when it gets nasty, then this is a good perk.
5 Reinforced Plating Repairing vehicles and robots also boosts the target's max CON by +25% for 3 turns - DN: you were doing so well mechanics perks.
7 Fortify Repairing friendly vehicles, robots, and deployables grants +5 Armor for 3 turns - DN: mechanics started strong but fizzled out. So sad.
Survival
6 Big Game Hunter Bonus damage to Animals and Mutants +20% - DN: you do fight both animals and mutants and they can be tough. You know what is nastier? Bots, Men with guns, wicked clownz with exploding pigs, bots, cyborgs, vehicles and your momma. I only took it once.
10 Explorer's Instinct Instantly reveals the entire World Map and all discoverable locations - see below

limp_cheese posted:

If you were like me and wondered if the Survival lvl 10 perk showed the location of the random traders on the map it doesn't. It just reveals the whole map without exploring it and places markers at places you'll go to eventually. It doesn't allow you to actually enter those places though or the map is bugged and its showing me a place that doesn't exist. That perk is useless unless you want to see the whole map without exploring.

limp_cheese posted:

That Survival perk is even more worthless than I realized. I had to look up online where the Massacre Site was because it wasn't showing up on the map even after I had the perk. There are also some locations it does have markers for that I'm sure will be DLC. There are 2 in the southwest corner of the map. I assume 1 is DLC and not bugged because its in the middle of a natural circle on the map.

God that perk is just awful.

Toaster Repair - dont waste points here.
3 Toaster Expert Bonus loot when repairing broken toasters
5 Breakfast Bandit Fixing broken toasters now yields Toast
7 Heating Element Fire damage bonus +25% - DN: So first game I went balls out on fire damage. I mean everything that buffed fire I took. Then I found out that flamethrowers were done by the time you get to Denver and .... next game I passed. Pass until they fix flamethrowers.
10 Toasty Killing an enemy causes your next attack to inflict Burning
[/i]Weapon Modding [/i] - Do not take this on guys you take with you. Keep on a modder custom ranger at base. Don't take him out of base or only on special field trips. DONT WASTE skill points or perk points on modder sills.
2 Scrounger's Touch Field Stripping now has a chance of providing weapon mods DN - very cool and best way to get mods with your modder. Essential for your modder.
5 Powder Packer Your entire party finds +25% bonus ammo when looting, at a minimum of +1 DN: meh... I gots plenty of dakka dakka
7 Expert Disassembler Field Stripping weapons yields +30% more scrap DN: once upon a time this perk was mighty but then came the barter nerf.

Social Skill Perk
Barter
3 Penny Pincher Buying multiple items provides a 20% discount DN: not essential but its ok. Helps when buying ammo and rocket ammo esp but not essential.
7 Antiques Appraiser Junk items have a 5% chance of being sold for 50x their value DN: <sniff sniff> Those were the days. Perk Got nerfed. Its 40x now and doesn't affect junk weapon scrap parts you get. You might see an extra few hundred so forget this perk but remember that once upon a time....she was a beauty.
Leadership - THESE ARE GOOD!
3 Rally Grants the Rally ability (+4 AP) - DN: essential. You sacrifice 4 ap to give everyone else +2 ap in your party in your leadership radius. loving awesome. Always start the battle with this. This perk means 2 sniper rifle shots if your sniper went 10 coord. This means more bots tossed and more shot and more moving around and choppy choppy.
5 Demoralize Grants the Demoralize ability (2 AP) - zap the enemies in a nice AoE and subtract their hit chance by 20% and critical by 25%. Also remember that suppressed fire perk for BG gives +300% damage for anyone hit with this. Nice combo. Cheap and 100% worth getting.

Dr. Quarex posted:

So proud of this game I have absolutely no right to be proud of
Me too man. Me too.

Onehandclapping posted:

Well I beat it and enjoyed the hell out of it, so I want to give my opinion on the last few story bits.
Angela Deth is a goddamn moron.

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Oct 14, 2020

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Thanks for creating the thread, Dogs!

I wanted to add that WL3 was funded through Fig and, much like with Kickstarter projects, the backers had access to a lot of development diaries and whatnot. This was followed by an alpha and then a beta. Having played the beta I must say that WL3 improved every single aspect of WL2. But then again it was only the first 4 hours of the game, so who knows if the quality holds up all the way to the end, especially the storyline, characters and side-quests. But the game systems seem more refined and the UX is overall much less janky, animations seemed better, so if you even remotely liked WL2, you should enjoy this sequel.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Anyone know if quirks (added for the w2 definite edition) back? Seemed like a fun addition but not enough to replay the whole game.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Quirks are back, yeah. Skills now also have their own perks associated to you can select and aimed shot have been changed to something closer to Fallout 4 where you have to charge a meter before you can use them.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Added some more about quirks and whatnot to the OP. I'll try and keep up with the thread as I want good things for this game

Furism posted:

Thanks for creating the thread, Dogs!

I wanted to add that WL3 was funded through Fig and, much like with Kickstarter projects, the backers had access to a lot of development diaries and whatnot. This was followed by an alpha and then a beta. Having played the beta I must say that WL3 improved every single aspect of WL2. But then again it was only the first 4 hours of the game, so who knows if the quality holds up all the way to the end, especially the storyline, characters and side-quests. But the game systems seem more refined and the UX is overall much less janky, animations seemed better, so if you even remotely liked WL2, you should enjoy this sequel.

Bloody nice. Love Wasteland 2 but it was very rough in places. I heard they pretty much listened to their fans and tweaked it accordingly so good times a coming. The screenshots from a couple of the previews looked nice.

How were the NPCs? One of my biggest gripes was the outright suicidal NPC behaviour. Like the big W2 end game you get a ton of guys you have helped as you progressed and they all want to help stop the bad guy. Very inspiring stuff and yer like "awwww - I love you guys too". Then to celebrate you see them just madly charge directly in front of enemy guns Gallipoli style. They don't fall down - they are dead. Had to reload three times to make sure one of the best ending sacrifices stopped charging at robots with a hammer. Still almost lost him and Vargas.
I'm hoping that either they get knocked out but not DED, you can order them like other guys or they just hang back and shoot/hit stuff that walks near them.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Nice to see a thread for this. I watched some vids of people playing the beta and it looks like they did indeed improve the game in almost all ways. Heavy Weapons for instance seem to have been buffed big time. I saw retcon raider clear a fight thats supposed to be unwinnable at the start of the game with one and a +AP on kill perk.

On the other hand, Int was nerfed into the ground. You only get bonus skill points in character creation and everyone gets the same amount on each level up so it looks like the new dump stat. It just affects crit chance and damage now. It didn't seem like a popular choice though so they may have changed it again.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Aug 8, 2020

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Very excited for this. I think the Patriarch and his kids will provide a clearer direction than WL2 has at the beginning, where you're just kinda going around putting out fires. Which is on brand, but I think having more characters in a central place early on will give you more to sink your teeth into, roleplay-wise.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
sorry - phone editing sucks -added bits about the Patriarch and the plot to the OP as well as a couple of links. Also ripped from PC gamer about the game. I'm hyped.
*edit*

Defiance Industries posted:

Very excited for this. I think the Patriarch and his kids will provide a clearer direction than WL2 has at the beginning, where you're just kinda going around putting out fires. Which is on brand, but I think having more characters in a central place early on will give you more to sink your teeth into, roleplay-wise.
Agreed. As much as I like the older style this new one might be easier for more people to get fully immersed. Really excited about the addition of vehicles. Also the "down but not out" I hope applies to NPCs. As I said earlier, I hope this extends to them, especially if game endings or content is hidden behind their survival. Or at least not make them blindly rush to their doom.

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Aug 9, 2020

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Nephthys posted:

Nice to see a thread for this. I watched some vids of people playing the beta and it looks like they did indeed improve the game in almost all ways. Heavy Weapons for instance seem to have been buffed big time. I saw retcon raider clear a fight thats supposed to be unwinnable at the start of the game with one and a +AP on kill perk.

On the other hand, Int was nerfed into the ground. You only get bonus skill points in character creation and everyone gets the same amount on each level up so it looks like the new dump stat. It just affects crit chance and damage now. It didn't seem like a popular choice though so they may have changed it again.

Can you recommend any video? I'm especially looking for one that goes into the theorycrafting a bit. Of course we can't possibly know what'll work best in the late game, but if anyone spent a good amount of time looking at the stats, skills and attribute and how they scale, that'd be interesting for when the game comes out. For instance you say INT is the dump stat because besides the initial skill point bonus it only affects crit chance and damage. But those seem important, so I would be interested in understanding why they are not, in fact, considered important.

Furism fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Aug 9, 2020

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Furism posted:

Can you recommend any video? I'm especially one that goes into the theorycrafting a bit. Of course we can't possibly know what'll work best in the late game, but if anyone spend a good amount of time looking at the stats, skills and attribute and how they scale, that'd be interesting for when the game comes out. For instance you say INT is the dump stat because besides the initial skill point bonus it only affects crit chance and damage. But those seem important, so I would be interested in understanding why they are not, in fact, considered important.

I think this is the best video out there right now (there is a part 2): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuS1800athM

I'm going through it myself as I'm also a bit fan of planning out my builds. I say Int was nerfed because it was previously a god stat which let you get far ahead of other characters in skills. Bonuses to crits could work wonders in a build designed around them but only if you really invest in it imo. That said, even though Int's skill-gain has been nerfed it looks like it is still possible to make a skill monkey character since you can get up to +40% exp gain with maxes Cha and the Bookworm background plus theres a Quirk for getting an extra skill point every other level (it was changed from when the above video was made). So carting around a puny combat-useless nerd who maxes out skills still seems like a viable strat which I will probably be doing.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Aug 9, 2020

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I imagine a short-range, shotgun/melee damage Ranger could benefit a lot from a damage/crit boost (much like XCOM2's Rangers, actually).

I like the idea of the "nerd" guy who passes all the hacking/picklocking/repair skillchecks too. But I wonder if on the higher difficulties you can afford to have a "dead weight" character during the combat phases. Unless they have weapons or items that can benefit and/or scale with some skills?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Furism posted:

I imagine a short-range, shotgun/melee damage Ranger could benefit a lot from a damage/crit boost (much like XCOM2's Rangers, actually).

I like the idea of the "nerd" guy who passes all the hacking/picklocking/repair skillchecks too. But I wonder if on the higher difficulties you can afford to have a "dead weight" character during the combat phases. Unless they have weapons or items that can benefit and/or scale with some skills?

The Two Pump Goat Killer Quirk/Background combo would get ya +30% crit chance for two rounds of combat plus some extra AP at the start of the fight to close the gap. And intelligence increases crit chance and crit damage unless it changes before release, so a nerd could actually be your go-to for a crit gimmick.

Shotguns also fall under "Small Arms" so you can also use pistols and revolvers with that shotgun so you have some variety in a pinch.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Aug 10, 2020

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
This is what I get for finally auto-archiving all my Kickstarter/Fig e-mail out of frustration years ago: forgetting when this was actually releasing!!! Thanks, Torrent, for pointing me over here.

Fortunately I see DogsInSpace! put together a better first post than I would have anyway.

I may or may not have gotten a DM on Twitter out of the blue confirming I have a nice part in Wasteland 3 :aaa:

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

marshmallow creep posted:

The Two Pump Goat Killer Quirk/Background combo would get ya +30% crit chance for two rounds of combat plus some extra AP at the start of the fight to close the gap. And intelligence increases crit chance and crit damage unless it changes before release, so a nerd could actually be your go-to for a crit gimmick.

Shotguns also fall under "Small Arms" so you can also use pistols and revolvers with that shotgun so you have some variety in a pinch.

Ooh, sounds nice, will definitely try that build.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Nephthys posted:

I'm going through it myself as I'm also a bit fan of planning out my builds. I say Int was nerfed because it was previously a god stat which let you get far ahead of other characters in skills. Bonuses to crits could work wonders in a build designed around them but only if you really invest in it imo. That said, even though Int's skill-gain has been nerfed it looks like it is still possible to make a skill monkey character since you can get up to +40% exp gain with maxes Cha and the Bookworm background plus theres a Quirk for getting an extra skill point every other level (it was changed from when the above video was made). So carting around a puny combat-useless nerd who maxes out skills still seems like a viable strat which I will probably be doing.

Thank you so much. Added you to the OP as well as watched the vids and tried to add details to the OP. Will update more when I hear it.
Some of the changes sound cool but I wonder about one thing. Cybernetics is a thing you can get. Last time people got taken over when they had cybernetics. I wouldn't think that would happen again but would be kinda hilarious.

Some changes really summed up and thoughts:
Attribute point changes: Now your eventual high level Ranger is dead hard stat wise. Curious to see how this will be balanced with late game. Also not happy about the base 0% chance for crits as much as I lament the loss of extra skill points. The skill point requirement is lower as far as raising them. As long as we don't run into level 10 requirements for skill checks by early mid game then I guess its cool.

Skill point changes: Weapon skills covering more than 1 type are great. Like first aid and surgeon merging. I like the spirit behind animal whisperer changes but not crazy about pets still dying as they died so often and you can't rez them. But I get all weepy about pets dying in games. I'm still mad at Fable for killing my dog. Still.

Weapon changes: Explosives and fire are nasty. There were perks to stun and do extra damage to vehicles by fire. That is on top of bypassing physical armor. Glad they are gatekeeping it behind the explosive skill as otherwise everyone is just going to run around tossing nades. Just hope the same restrictions apply to the bad guys. Like the merging of smgs, pistols and shotguns into small arms. Means they might be a decent backup skill choice. We will see. Also liked they put in a secondary category for smgs in the automatic weapons. Giving people a couple of options in each weapon skill is nice. I am curious to see how smgs and pistols hold up late game as well as if melee is still king of kombat. Energy weapons was such a trap category in W2 I am still wary of devoting anyone to them. I'm thinking one range weapon type with backup melee or brawling for my four main. Exception being the scout as they will need the devotion of skill points into sneak, lock and demo. Still think my main 4 will be
Cha Lead - Leadership + Assault + Melee
Awareness Scout - Sneak + lock + Sniper
? Pyro Mechanic - Science + Mechanic + Explosives w/ minor in heavy weapons
? Crit Monkey - Brawling + First Aid +?

marshmallow creep posted:

Effin nice.

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Aug 10, 2020

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I still I'm going to go:

Leader: Leadership + Surgeon + Assault. I want him mid-range to maximize his Leadership aura, and since he's in the middle he might as well be the surgeon/first aid. I should probably get a 4th skill for dialogues, not sure if that's not spreading the points too thin though?
Nerd: as described above, high INT, high CHA, high crit/damage, and then lockpicking/computers/whatever? and melee or small arms?

I think you get only two Rangers when you start and then you're supposed to recruit NPCs right?

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Furism posted:

I still I'm going to go:

Leader: Leadership + Surgeon + Assault. I want him mid-range to maximize his Leadership aura, and since he's in the middle he might as well be the surgeon/first aid. I should probably get a 4th skill for dialogues, not sure if that's not spreading the points too thin though?
Nerd: as described above, high INT, high CHA, high crit/damage, and then lockpicking/computers/whatever? and melee or small arms?

I think you get only two Rangers when you start and then you're supposed to recruit NPCs right?

The beta vids said 4 so you might start with two and hopefully add two more custom. Companions are nice but I am not fond of the rogue chance, even if “beneficial”. They merged surgeon and first aid so one speech skill should be almost mandatory for happy endings. You'd think at least.
edit: I'm also excited about flamethrowers getting some love in an RPG. Those giant Scorp Bots had absolutely lethal flamethrowers.

edit2: At least I hope you get 4 guys you tailor their stats as the game usually picked the absolute worst choices for stats. I remember W2 loved putting points into Luck despite it being the most useless stat in W2. They also loved choosing the worst possible combos for stats like giving he low strength guy melee or nothing into anything that would give people any action points. Ralphie finally morphed into a good companion at 40.

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Aug 10, 2020

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

How it worked in the Beta (which was the first few hours of the game) was that you make two characters to go through the tutorial and then afterwards you can create or recruit 2 more characters to have up to 4 custom characters. I think party size was changed too so that you can only have 6 in a squad at any point, instead of the 7 from WL2. So thats 2 slots for companions unless you open slots up for them over your custom guys.

Skills are gonna be tighter than they were previously I think. 6 characters can't cover all the skills this time at 3 points per level and 22 skills.

DogsInSpace! posted:

edit2: At least I hope you get 4 guys you tailor their stats as the game usually picked the absolute worst choices for stats. I remember W2 loved putting points into Luck despite it being the most useless stat in W2. They also loved choosing the worst possible combos for stats like giving he low strength guy melee or nothing into anything that would give people any action points. Ralphie finally morphed into a good companion at 40.

Haha I got halfway through the previous game and wanted to recruit the Mad Monk guy but his stats and build was awful. But I thought he was such a cool character that I learned how to edit the game files to change his stats to being good. I might do the same again tbh. I kind of want to have my starting two be the Father-Daughter premade characters but I'm allergic to playing suboptimally.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Aug 10, 2020

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

DogsInSpace! posted:

I'm still mad at Fable for killing my dog. Still.
It´s alright, the price for getting him back isn´t very high, so see it as a temporary parting.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

ralphie was my toaster repairing punchman. all the benefits of child labour and child soldiering in one free to recruit npc.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Nephthys posted:

Haha I got halfway through the previous game and wanted to recruit the Mad Monk guy but his stats and build was awful. But I thought he was such a cool character that I learned how to edit the game files to change his stats to being good. I might do the same again tbh. I kind of want to have my starting two be the Father-Daughter premade characters but I'm allergic to playing suboptimally.

Thank you again. Added your notes to the 3rd part of OP. I'm making that the beta notes from you guys until release then it will turn into funny posts about playing. Feel free to share anything you want. Same with any other beta playing goons. I'm hyped as hell for this game and promise I do not work for the company and my last name is not Fargo.

Yeah Kekkebah had a great sacrifice ending but I really liked the Corrain Cain's. It is a drat shame he was so suboptimal other than that. Cain's ending sacrifice was really boss though. " The Great Glow welcomes the prodigal son as if he never left." I wish we had 7 slots but can live with the Devil's Unholy Number for a group and will make that a thing. Still playing the goody goody though as that is my tendency. Definitely doing hard rear end this time since there is no Smart rear end option.

upgunned shitpost posted:

ralphie was my toaster repairing punchman. all the benefits of child labour and child soldiering in one free to recruit npc.

Funny enough in my last playthrough I made all my four Rangers 16-17 so he was the old man. He did act younger than his 18 years and made me wonder if they did a last minute edit and he was supposed to be like 14 or 15 then they were like "ew".It made Angela Deth's mournful speech about us all being kids hit a little different. His toaster ability was an asset as was his punching. Even with starting STR4 he did great damage. His toaster skill was essential. Scotchmo and Ralphy were decent as you had time to make their 3 int into a 4 so they were workable with skills. 2 Int just guaranteed I would never even give you a chance. Scotchmo had some great dialogue as did Cain. Cain's only issue was he was 20 when you recruited him and his stats sucked. By that time you could have people that could pull their own weight and even at 30 he was mediocre. Plus Pizepi was not only decent but her Energy really stood out with robots. Especially when I gave her roboticist and she just melted bots.

Sylphosaurus posted:

It´s alright, the price for getting him back isn´t very high, so see it as a temporary parting.
Oh jesus tho.... that game. I still remember him leaping to save me and I'm like "NOOOOOOO" then later the bad guy is doing the monologue thing and I'm waiting to see where he goes and just milking the moment and waiting for revenge then my ally shoots him. I was so angry. Then I choose the good and selfless choice and everyone comes back but him. I got a statue. It was like a giant middle finger. I found out later what I could do to save him but, at that point, I was done. Did help teach me that when you do your creative endeavors you always got to be careful your vision doesn't toss a middle finger to your audience as they can and will go away and not buy your stuff any more. That balance between your wants and dreams versus their enjoyment is a fine line. So if you wanna make money off it then you have to think of the person willing to pay, even if a little. Thanks Fable. Still killed my puppy you bastards.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Nephthys posted:

How it worked in the Beta (which was the first few hours of the game) was that you make two characters to go through the tutorial and then afterwards you can create or recruit 2 more characters to have up to 4 custom characters. I think party size was changed too so that you can only have 6 in a squad at any point, instead of the 7 from WL2. So thats 2 slots for companions unless you open slots up for them over your custom guys.

Yes I guess what I meant was "should I make my party 100% custom or should I leave some space for NPCs?"

I played the beta and I think I remember that you get one or two NPC, but I don't remember them bringing anything cool like banter or special reactivity to the world? Would a player with a tendency for min/maxing, but who also loves flavor, be better off making a 100% custom party?

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

given the really low skill levels at the start, you could probably build two rangers from the ground up then a pair of the premades who may have some special banter. wouldn't be that hard to trick them out later as long as their stats weren't actively hateful like the first game.

it was talked about briefly in one of the vids, but I dunno how deep that system is.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

upgunned shitpost posted:

given the really low skill levels at the start, you could probably build two rangers from the ground up then a pair of the premades who may have some special banter. wouldn't be that hard to trick them out later as long as their stats weren't actively hateful like the first game.

it was talked about briefly in one of the vids, but I dunno how deep that system is.

Yeah, this is gonna be a big decider on how I play. If there is even a bit of reactivity to using the premades I'm probably sold. If it's just some fluff then I'll ignore it and make my own people.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Low-key looking forward to this. Wasteland 2 had a lot of rough patches and was needlessly obtuse at times, but I still had a ton of fun with both the original release and the director's cut.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Finally watched some of those videos on character creation. Some interesting possibilities. Like, a Weird Science Big Guns Pyromaniac Disciple of Metal with Heating Element from Toaster Repair can presumably avoid the downside of their perk while nearly doubling all their armor-ignoring fire damage.

It also seems like a natural synergy is small arms and sniper rifles, because there is a Small Arms perk that benefits from Marking, which is exclusive to Sniper Rifles. You could have your sniper set up your small arms gunslinger, or take them both on the same character, since the perk abilities are cheaper than most of the regular attacks--3 AP to trigger Marking (reducing evasion by -50%), then another 3 AP Trick Shot (which has reduced aim by -40%) which gives +3 AP if it succeeds. Supposedly Evasion and Hit chance cancel each other out one-to-one, so that's still a +10% in that case. Do activated perks have a cooldown? Because otherwise it seems once a target is marked, you can just empty your revolver with Trick Shot provided you don't miss.

Also Serial Killer Quirk with Trigger Happy would be +6 AP with every kill with an automatic weapon. That's...wow.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Aug 19, 2020

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer
I forgot this game was coming out until I got a "package has been shipped" notification with a 10lb box going to an address I haven't lived at in 2 years. 20 dollars later to have the drat thing redirected it is indeed my WL3 collector's edition. A couple of weeks later I get an email reminding me to update my contact information prior to the game shipping. Damnit.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
Any news on companions? I wasn't really a fan of the "you gotta go make your whole party" of W2 and would prefer if they had more actual companions with actual plotlines. Even if it's like a Divinity 2 thing where they're all "protagonist-kun".

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I know there is a young deputy you can recruit who has a quest in the beta. Not really sure about others.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I heard that theres two returning companions: Scotchmo and Pizepi.

The wiki has a list of known recruits but theres no info on their builds yet, just names and bio's: https://wasteland.gamepedia.com/Recruits_(Wasteland_3)

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
low key hyped for the release this Friday

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

BULBASAUR posted:

low key hyped for the release this Friday

Are there any good reviews out there yet? Is the game worth to buy on day 1?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Haven't seen anything honestly, I backed it way back and this game is my jam. I really enjoyed W2 so if it's more of the same I'll dig it

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Same. W2 is pretty flawed, but I enjoyed playing (and replaying) it.

The only thing that will keep me from playing this immediately is Control ultimate releasing a day before this.

Edit: and I guess if it's somehow poo poo.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

itry posted:

Same. W2 is pretty flawed, but I enjoyed playing (and replaying) it.

The only thing that will keep me from playing this immediately is Control ultimate releasing a day before this.

Edit: and I guess if it's somehow poo poo.

Yeah, W2 was really old school in all the wrong ways, but it was still fun as hell.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
There is a 99% chance this game will be better overall than 2 in everything but the "childhood nostalgia" way, so yes, almost certainly worth buying immediately.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
I was actually thinking of playing through the improved edition Wasteland 2. Are there any particular pitfalls I should be wary of when I create my team of misfits?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

w2 has so many traps, your starting rangers will be spread too thin over incredibly redundant skills and every npc you can recruit will have terrible stats. literally the worst. it's also really fun.