Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

The Lone Badger posted:

Kassandra from Assassins Creed: Odyssey is a character in a recent work that avoided that, and she's crazy popular. Partly because people find it so refreshing I suppose.

She's "crazy popular" amongst goons, the majority of people played as Alexios.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Mordja posted:

She's "crazy popular" amongst goons, the majority of people played as Alexios.

And that's a crying shame. Kassandra is awesome and evil manbaby Alexios is hilarious.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

A lot of gamers are still hung up on "Ewww I don't want to play as a girl character", which kinda explains the 2/3 split.

I don't get it either, Alexios sucked.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

the game literally swaps the two characters with no change to their behavior or dialog

the only differences are in the mo-cap actor's work

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Excelzior posted:

the game literally swaps the two characters with no change to their behavior or dialog

the only differences are in the mo-cap actor's work

Alexios' delivery sucked, his actor was worse in the voiceover.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Kassandra was supposed to be the only player character but an Ubisoft exec (who has since been forced out for his rampant sexism and sexual harassment) insisted there be a male main character.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Skwirl posted:

Kassandra was supposed to be the only player character but an Ubisoft exec (who has since been forced out for his rampant sexism and sexual harassment) insisted there be a male main character.

Don't give Ubisoft any props for firing this guy, either. This attitude infested the entire upper-management of the company and sacrificing this one guy changes nothing.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kokoro Wish posted:

Don't give Ubisoft any props for firing this guy, either. This attitude infested the entire upper-management of the company and sacrificing this one guy changes nothing.

Yeah, if they meant Serge Hascoet well, he didn't go to prison or anything, he was allowed to resign. So now he's just out free as a bird and who knows what other company is going to just quietly hire him on next.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

orange juche posted:

Alexios' delivery sucked, his actor was worse in the voiceover.

I liked him as Deimos.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I've heard Alexios described as a corny swords-and-sandals Hercules though, which actually sounds like something I'd want to play if I did play AC since I don't respect the franchise, but I don't, so I won't.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Aug 10, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Alexios is fine and really funny and entertaining in his own way. I've played the game with both characters and which one you like better is entirely up to you. I think Cassandra is the funnier Deimos, she comes across as something like an Evil Xena right out of a cheesy TV series.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

(Wrong thread)

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Arcsquad12 posted:

You never saw a female redshirt get horribly killed on Star Trek TOS and the Bridge Bunny stereotype has been around just as long.

Just for the record, there was one female redshirt (and several female blue shirts) horribly killed in The Original Series

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Cardiovorax posted:

I think Cassandra is the funnier Deimos, she comes across as something like an Evil Xena right out of a cheesy TV series.
excuse me her name is callisto

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I knew I was thinking of someone specific, but I just couldn't put a name to it.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

FuturePastNow posted:

Just for the record, there was one female redshirt (and several female blue shirts) horribly killed in The Original Series

Funnily enough, going by the percentage numbers, it was more hazardous to be a goldshirt than a redshirt. More redshirts died, but there were also more redshirts. You had something like an 18% chance of dying as a goldshirt vs a 10% chance of death as a redshirt.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/39227

This mod just makes me wonder if this guy knows you can see the moon without a telescope...

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Seems... kind of unoffensive for this thread? I mean, it looks fine. Not sure I'd call it an improvement over the vanilla version, but it's alright.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cardiovorax posted:

Seems... kind of unoffensive for this thread? I mean, it looks fine. Not sure I'd call it an improvement over the vanilla version, but it's alright.

Not everything has to be utterly cursed! Sometimes, a confusing mod can just be someone making the moon in a video game look like you're looking at it through a telescope for no reason.

Besides, I think it belongs more than the death percentages of redshirts. =P

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Fair enough, I was just wondering if I was missing something there.

...you know, it is a very big moon. I imagine it would look a lot like looking at it through a telescope, when you consider how much of the sky it takes up. That thing can't be very far away.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
help i've got lens flare in my eye

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

orange juche posted:

Funnily enough, going by the percentage numbers, it was more hazardous to be a goldshirt than a redshirt. More redshirts died, but there were also more redshirts. You had something like an 18% chance of dying as a goldshirt vs a 10% chance of death as a redshirt.

Hey, when the away consists of Kirk, Spock, McCoy, and Ensign Jones, it doesn't matter what color Ensign Jones is wearing, you know he's not coming back.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Cardiovorax posted:

Fair enough, I was just wondering if I was missing something there.

...you know, it is a very big moon. I imagine it would look a lot like looking at it through a telescope, when you consider how much of the sky it takes up. That thing can't be very far away.

I don't think Masser and Secunda are actually planets as you might think of them. They're the sundered halves of a dead god that are rotting away, and they are basically infinite planes in the Void of Oblivion that are perceived as spheres. So "distance" is not a relevant concept, you couldn't visit it without traveling through Oblivion.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I don't think Masser and Secunda are actually planets as you might think of them. They're the sundered halves of a dead god that are rotting away, and they are basically infinite planes in the Void of Oblivion that are perceived as spheres. So "distance" is not a relevant concept, you couldn't visit it without traveling through Oblivion.
Yeah, I was being a bit facetious there. This is entirely correct from a lore perspective, they're actually the two halves of Lorkhan's meaty bits. I just figured that with how big they look from in-game, this doesn't really feel wrong to look at, you know?

VVV I don't think we're talking about the same thing here.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Aug 11, 2020

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

lens distortion is so named because it only occurs when you look through a lens. it doesn't feel wrong to look at because media captured through a lens has trained you to accept that distortion as a representation of reality. Like how you see lens flares from the sun in video games despite, again, a lens not being involved at any stage.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cardiovorax posted:

Yeah, I was being a bit facetious there. This is entirely correct from a lore perspective, they're actually the two halves of Lorkhan's meaty bits. I just figured that with how big they look from in-game, this doesn't really feel wrong to look at, you know?

VVV I don't think we're talking about the same thing here.

Okay, click on the mod, click on the comments, and see how he says this is what the moon looks like through a telescope.

The thing you say you're not talking about is the thing he is trying to do. He is attempting to make the moon look like you are looking at it through a telescope when you are very much not looking at it through a telescope.

A moon being really big isn't "looks like you are looking at it through a telescope" in anything more than size. It being large does not make a lens effect appear.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Aug 11, 2020

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
did anyone consider that Masser and Secunda aren't actually sundered god parts but normal moons and the people of Nirn (Tamriel specifically) are just full of poo poo?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Strumpie posted:

did anyone consider that Masser and Secunda aren't actually sundered god parts but normal moons and the people of Nirn (Tamriel specifically) are just full of poo poo?

maybe that would hold water if magic weren't real and people weren't doing it all the time and chatting up the aedra and daedra personally

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Strumpie posted:

the last person who talked like that vanished without a trace, along with all other members of their culture but one

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Doc Hawkins posted:

the last person who talked like that suddenly vanished without a trace, along with all other members of their ethnic group

bethesda could make an incredible game out of the disappearance of the dwemer (they're like the only thing i thought was interesting about skyrim) and they never, ever, ever will

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I didn't play Morrowind but aren't they much more of a thing there?

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Zesty posted:

I didn't play Morrowind but aren't they much more of a thing there?

That's where they all live during that game, yeah

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
give me sloads or give me death

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

[quote="Cup Runneth Over"s. post="507181900"]
maybe that would hold water if magic weren't real and people weren't doing it all the time and chatting up the aedra and daedra personally
[/quote]

Especially the main characters who can probably make bank running a Fiverr service for Daedra.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I have a mark set up at the Shrine of Pride in Ghostgate, will cast recall for 200 septims.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
I looked through New Vegas Nexus for something to post and the only thing that got on the radar was a sexy "pit stop girls" outfit/body mod.

Nothing about it really stands out tho, no swastikas or insane/bigoted ramblings.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

orange juche posted:

The hardest working redshirt was the guy on the original Enterprise who got vaporized by a phaser, then showed up for work a few episodes later without anyone acknowledging it. Dude's a king

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

"I just want to thank you for giving that dead woman another chance, Sir"

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Danaru posted:

The hardest working redshirt was the guy on the original Enterprise who got vaporized by a phaser, then showed up for work a few episodes later without anyone acknowledging it. Dude's a king

I mean, with the way transporters work, they probably just quietly resurrect the deceased redshirts and hope the officers don't notice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Dirk the Average posted:

I mean, with the way transporters work, they probably just quietly resurrect the deceased redshirts and hope the officers don't notice.

I'd rather they get my pattern and skip the deconstructing me part and just construct a new me at a target location. There is literally no reason that a transporter has to annihilate you on the one end other than to just not be a cloning machine.

Oh and also,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUXKUcsvhQc