Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

fanny and alexander full cut is 5 hours, satantango is 7, the human condition 10.......... 3 hours is nothing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

Farm Frenzy posted:

90 minutes or three hours imo

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

watch Shoah and then talk

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

coathat posted:

The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya is 162 minutes making it the second longest animated film ever made.

Somehow I did not realize that watching it

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
i blame the dark knight for starting the very-long-runtime trend. 152 minutes, and frankly you really feel it on the rewatch

the dark knight really has dropped out of the public discourse, huh? remember when it was the #1 imdb movie? i remember that for a while the wikipedia page described it not as a "superhero film" but as a "crime film" lol

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Aglet56 posted:

i blame the dark knight for starting the very-long-runtime trend. 152 minutes, and frankly you really feel it on the rewatch

the dark knight really has dropped out of the public discourse, huh? remember when it was the #1 imdb movie? i remember that for a while the wikipedia page described it not as a "superhero film" but as a "crime film" lol

I’d say the culture focus on joker is from the dark knight and if anything was one of the only movies of the ‘10s that left a mark

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

it took like four years of bane memes to get people to admit that the nolan batmans werent high art

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Aglet56 posted:

The Dark Knight felt exhausting to watch but I think that was on purpose, there's definitely the theme in the end of everyone involved being absolutely at the end of their rope.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i watched a ten hour filipino movie once and it was excruciating the theater divided it into two parts and almost nothing of interest happened in the second half at all there was maybe a solid half hour where we were just watching a man slowly bleed to death

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

im the only person who liked the endless eight arc of haruhi suzumiya because it so perfectly captures the tediousness of knowingly repeating the same stupid mistake punctured by the galaxy brain style feeling you get when youve finally done it often enough that youve figured out the retrospectively obvious solution

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

extremely funny to think back and remember that the dark knight is the reason we have ten best picture nominees now but every year since then has been so awful theyre lucky if they can even find six that feel like they actually belong there

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Some Guy TT posted:

extremely funny to think back and remember that the dark knight is the reason we have ten best picture nominees now but every year since then has been so awful theyre lucky if they can even find six that feel like they actually belong there

And now they're desperately trying to redefine the rules so Sonic the Hedgehog doesn't sweep the oscars

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Some Guy TT posted:

i watched a ten hour filipino movie once and it was excruciating the theater divided it into two parts and almost nothing of interest happened in the second half at all there was maybe a solid half hour where we were just watching a man slowly bleed to death

I watched a Filipino movie that was a kind of retelling of Crime and Punishment, I don't remember its name but it was also very slow and long.

Ah I think it was directed by the same guy as the one you probably saw so that would explain it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norte,_the_End_of_History

Grevling has issued a correction as of 10:01 on Aug 9, 2020

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Midsommar was pretty good, def. intense but a bit predictable. The Ritual was better imo.

The one thing that save the Ritual from being completely forgettable is a strong monster design. Watch the Descent instead, it touches on the same themes as the Ritual with the added bonus of actually being a good movie.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
6 Underground is a long advertisement for how the CIA and the State Department thinks regime change operations are supposed to work. The final scene may as well be a reenactment of what happened to Gadaffi.

I know we talk a lot about how Hollywood is just propaganda for US foreign policy, but rarely have I seen it so naked.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

6 Underground is a long advertisement for how the CIA and the State Department thinks regime change operations are supposed to work. The final scene may as well be a reenactment of what happened to Gadaffi.

I know we talk a lot about how Hollywood is just propaganda for US foreign policy, but rarely have I seen it so naked.

Also the central hero is literally a billionaire.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I don’t think anyone is telling Michael Bay to make movies like this, I think they just reflect what’s in his heart.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Aglet56 posted:

the dark knight really has dropped out of the public discourse, huh? remember when it was the #1 imdb movie?

I remember people were angry that Rifftrax did it because how dare they make fun of the greatest movie ever made!!

I like to think that people missed the whole "Bush died for your sins" message but it is pretty obvious, though maybe not as obvious as "don't let poor people have power" in Dark Knight Rises.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
been watching the Sopranos for the first time and it's more C-SPAM than I thought it would be. All the cops and FBI agents in the show are shown to be morally repugnant and completely callous in regards to the lives that they destroy every day. it also mocks the American conservative mindset in just about every way possible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBD61skoMk8

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Reds is a 3 hour and 20 minute movie which is great for an afternoon nap on the couch.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Aglet56 posted:

It would be hard for any movie to stay in the public discourse for twelve years.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

the dark knight is such an aggressively mediocre movie. Nolan is a hack

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

Alhazred posted:

It would be hard for any movie to stay in the public discourse for twelve years.

I dunno, big Lebowski? alien? Star Wars? the dark knight was pretty obviously hyped up at the time as a modern classic but it faded very fast, is my point

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

remember the wall street journal guy who was treated like a loon for saying batman was george bush

batman literally builds a massive unchecked illegal surveillance network to hunt the joker down but this totally isnt a george bush analogy because morgan freeman handwrings about the ethical implications while letting batman use it anyway

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Low Desert Punk posted:

been watching the Sopranos for the first time and it's more C-SPAM than I thought it would be. All the cops and FBI agents in the show are shown to be morally repugnant and completely callous in regards to the lives that they destroy every day. it also mocks the American conservative mindset in just about every way possible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBD61skoMk8

Season 1 starts off with the corrupt detective so loving morally bankrupt he beats up Melfi's date to humiliate him hoping to score favor with Tony. Literally the only positive portrayal of authority in the show ends up being the cop who refused a bribe, and had his career completely derailed by Tony's request to Zellman to gently caress with the guy for daring to write him a ticket.

It also goes hard against the "civilian" side to like the one white family where after getting carjacked the husband starts yelling out racial slurs, when Melfi gets raped her ex-husband goes on a tirade against poc's, or the upper middle class witness so proud to report Tony and Co. to the police so they could do something about all the "drug crime" in the area and then freaking out and recanting the moment he finds out it was mob related.

David Chase realized pretty quick that viewers were straight up idolizing Tony and seeing him as heroic so he made sure to make him as monstrous as possible.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Some Guy TT posted:

batman literally builds a massive unchecked illegal surveillance network to hunt the joker down but this totally isnt a george bush analogy because morgan freeman handwrings about the ethical implications while letting batman use it anyway

He knows people will hate him for tapping phones but he does it because he wants to keep us safe! You can die a hero or live long enough to become a villain, and poor old Bush Batman lives too long. We don't deserve him.

Also Batman kidnaps a man in another country but that isn't shown as a big deal; Morgan Freeman even helps him then.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

the white liberal boat would have blown up the prison boat before the joker even finished his spiel

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I watched La Llorona on Shudder last night. Pretty good. And I had finished reading Killing Hope earlier in the day

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

my girlfriend is watching vic berger style edits of her favorite soundcloud rappers being interviewed on various radio stations and seeing young dumb kids with face tats and grills that make their teeth like chiclets barely get two audible words out because they are half asleep and still high on lean gives me hope for the future of pop culture

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

pentyne posted:

or the upper middle class witness so proud to report Tony and Co. to the police so they could do something about all the "drug crime" in the area and then freaking out and recanting the moment he finds out it was mob related

the scene where they find out the dead guy is a mobster is great
"you had to be the big man!!!"

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Aglet56 posted:

I dunno, big Lebowski? alien? Star Wars? the dark knight was pretty obviously hyped up at the time as a modern classic but it faded very fast, is my point

I get what you mean and I think it got sucked into the pop culture black hole that was formed by the explosion of superhero movies that were made in the last 20 years. Brian Singer and Sam Raimi really kicked off this era with their trilogies and after 2000 at least a few comic book movies were made every year, picking up steam steadily and the movies began to loom larger in the culture. You had the a ton of misfires, Monkeybone in 2001, some weird gems Josie and the Pussycats also in 2001, but in general there were more and more comic book adaptations every year. Hulk 2003 and 2008, the Ghost Rider films, Hellboy, The Punisher, all before the first Iron Man film really lit the fuse on the MCU entertainment supernova.

The Nolan Batman movies basically alley-oop'd it to the MCU and the whole thing is one smeared poo poo obliterated dead zone in our minds.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

can someone remind me why everyone hated the new hellboy movie

i watched it on an airplane and it wasnt like high art or anything but it was totally watchable

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
josie and the pussycats is sublime and gets funnier every year we get further from it

it's the most dated piece of entertainment imaginable

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

Some Guy TT posted:

can someone remind me why everyone hated the new hellboy movie

i watched it on an airplane and it wasnt like high art or anything but it was totally watchable

i think people were pissed because they moved away from del toro's stuff to go edgy/gritty

pretty lame in comparison honestly

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

Doctor Jeep posted:

the scene where they find out the dead guy is a mobster is great
"you had to be the big man!!!"

the guy sitting in his big armchair reading Anarchy, State and Utopia after just helping the police state prosecute citizens is a truly fantastic visual gag

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

i havent seen the new hellboy but i doubt it holds up compared to the del toro ones because they were :discourse:

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
Oh man, Catechism Cataclysm is on Hulu US right now. I haven’t seen it since it was on Netflix many years ago, but I remember loving the crap out of it. It’s a slow, weird comedy about a childlike priest attempting to reconnect with a man he thought was awesome in school, by inserting himself into the guy’s camping trip. It’s sort of in the same world of absurdism as Quentin Dupieux and Jim Hosking films, except far less aggressive and more grounded in reality.

Speaking of Hosking, I finally got around to seeing An Evening With Beverly Luff Linn on Netflix. I really liked it! Compared to, say, Greasy Strangler or Tropical Cop Tales, it’s much saner. Feels halfway to a Jared Hess film; ie it has more heart and oozes with less revulsion for humanity.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

i think people were pissed because they moved away from del toro's stuff to go edgy/gritty

And also because it was a bad movie

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Movies have never been bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Reds is a 3 hour and 20 minute movie which is great for an afternoon nap on the couch.

I deny the existence of that movie in digital or any disc-based format because I just can't fathom anyone who would watch it.