Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?
OK, super strange question...

I'm looking for a 40-inch-ish TV to run Dakboard in our office in portrait orientation so I want something that will boot directly to a HDMI port and not it's smart display software. Also with minimal bezels.

The obvious choice is a digital signage display like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-BE43R-Direct-Lit-Commercial-LH43BERBLGAXGO/dp/B07V8L6GKJ/

Which honestly isn't priced that bad but if I could get away with a consumer 4k display I don't think I really need to spring for a digital signage display.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Is it your money? Get the digital signage if not.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

GreenNight posted:

Is it your money? Get the digital signage if not.

Oh, I probably should have phrased that differently.

"Our office" as in my husband and my home office, it's not going into a business setting. If it were for a commercial display I would obviously go with a digital signage product.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Okay yeah that makes more sense. Consumer would probably be fine. We have a few in our manufacturing plants that boot to computers hooked to HDMI ports. Mostly Vizio's.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

I figure with the state of LCD manufacturing that the bigger difference is going to be in support and ripping their smart software off it at this point. We have 32" Dakboard in the kitchen on a cheap display from Walmart that has been running 24/7 365 for a year with zero issues.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Bennett’s here in Madison has been running smut off their consumer TVs for ages.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Mister Facetious posted:

What I thought was a bug with the Android OS is a very interesting feature; not only are the inputs considered separate sources for the purposes of a/v settings, but so is every app.
YouTube has a separate Picture setting from Amazon Prime, which has different settings from Crunchyroll, and so on.
I kind of wish this were more common. I might just perma-allow (ugh) interpolation on anime channels and poo poo

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

So I'm kind of leaning towards one of the Hisense AndroidTV displays. Our kitchen TV runs an MiBox with a Dakboard daydream app so I can use it to watch Hulu or Youtube or whatever and then it automatically kicks it back into Dakboard as the "screensaver".

This actually kind of seems ideal, I don't need another Dakboard source and at least as I understand it I would be able to sideload the daydream app and the TV would automatically kick back into it when it is turned on.

Are there any special limitations with the Android TV software with Hisense or can I just sideload the app and log it into the Dakboard before I mount it sideways?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

FilthyImp posted:

I kind of wish this were more common. I might just perma-allow (ugh) interpolation on anime channels and poo poo

It also has different levels; I've got everything set to Clean right now. Seems to be the least intrusive.

I'm really disappointed it doesn't work with Game mode; I wanted a free fps doubling for Breath of the Wild... :v:

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Aug 4, 2020

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Three Olives posted:

So I'm kind of leaning towards one of the Hisense AndroidTV displays. Our kitchen TV runs an MiBox with a Dakboard daydream app so I can use it to watch Hulu or Youtube or whatever and then it automatically kicks it back into Dakboard as the "screensaver".

This actually kind of seems ideal, I don't need another Dakboard source and at least as I understand it I would be able to sideload the daydream app and the TV would automatically kick back into it when it is turned on.

Are there any special limitations with the Android TV software with Hisense or can I just sideload the app and log it into the Dakboard before I mount it sideways?

OK, doing some more research I have more questions...

Can I set TV settings from Google Assistant? If i can set a Google Routine to throw the TV in dark mode after bedtime, shut it off in early morning hours and have it automatically turn back on full brightness in the morning, all while automatically springing back into Dakboard I think I'm sold.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Fedule posted:

Yeah as far as I can tell (and believe me I've looked) the C9 is goooooone from everywhere that's anywhere except a few floating around eBay, which, well, let's not. I saw some crop up again at John Lewis, but nothing in their online shop, just one or two in certain stores, which made them renew the listing and get my drat hopes up. (Lmao that they'll let you call and reserve... but only if they have 3 or more in stock. They had two and I watched them disappear)

The CX will probably go down a little in November but basically at this point you're paying an extra £100 or whatever to have the thing for an extra few months (since it's not like you're going to get rid of it sooner for having bought it sooner). The only reason I haven't got mine already is because I won't be in a position to install it for a while and I'm about to spend a few months somewhere that actually does have a C9.

Hmm, what are the chances that the 55 inch CX will turn up on some deal in the next few months? Since I don't need it immediately, would it be worth waiting around and checking deals sites to see if it turns up? Or would that simply not happen with a brand new model of TV?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Comrade Fakename posted:

Hmm, what are the chances that the 55 inch CX will turn up on some deal in the next few months? Since I don't need it immediately, would it be worth waiting around and checking deals sites to see if it turns up? Or would that simply not happen with a brand new model of TV?

I know in one (Irish) retailer that if you buy a CX model they throw in a pair of LG Ear Pods worth €200.
I'd say over the next few months that deal will go away. I doubt they'd drop the price of the CX when they release the BX, since the B range are supposed to be cheaper than the C range.

Maybe circa November with Black Friday/Cyber Monday. But with Covid, who knows if that will still be a thing.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

The Question IRL posted:

I know in one (Irish) retailer that if you buy a CX model they throw in a pair of LG Ear Pods worth €200.
I'd say over the next few months that deal will go away. I doubt they'd drop the price of the CX when they release the BX, since the B range are supposed to be cheaper than the C range.

Maybe circa November with Black Friday/Cyber Monday. But with Covid, who knows if that will still be a thing.

Hey, actually Curry's in the UK looks like it has the same deal with the LG Earpods. I don't have any wireless earpods, so I really wouldn't mind - anyone know if they're any good (LG TONE Free FN6)?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Yeah there's usually a dip of some kind around Black Friday season; November last year was the lowest the C9 ever got (I want to say the 55 C9 briefly hit £1199 before eventually returning to £1299 where it stayed until gone). I forget what C9 prices were like up until then though. The 55 CX has so far come down from £1799 to £1699. There'll probably be some advancement on that in November. What happens after that will depend on what's cooking for the C11.

Basically it's like I said; you're paying the unknown number of hundreds of pounds as the cost for getting the thing 3-4 months earlier than you would otherwise, and it's up to you to figure out if that gain is compelling enough to you.

The deal with the TONE earpods seems to be all over the UK; I've also seen it at Richer Sounds, John Lewis and Peter Tyson, all of whom I'd rather buy from than Curry's.

nuclear_cheetos
Apr 22, 2005

mmmmmmmm......cheesy!

Fedule posted:

Yeah there's usually a dip of some kind around Black Friday season; November last year was the lowest the C9 ever got (I want to say the 55 C9 briefly hit £1199 before eventually returning to £1299 where it stayed until gone). I forget what C9 prices were like up until then though. The 55 CX has so far come down from £1799 to £1699. There'll probably be some advancement on that in November. What happens after that will depend on what's cooking for the C11.

Basically it's like I said; you're paying the unknown number of hundreds of pounds as the cost for getting the thing 3-4 months earlier than you would otherwise, and it's up to you to figure out if that gain is compelling enough to you.

The deal with the TONE earpods seems to be all over the UK; I've also seen it at Richer Sounds, John Lewis and Peter Tyson, all of whom I'd rather buy from than Curry's.

I've found retailers in the US selling the 55 CX as low as 1440 USD. Still more expensive than the lowest clearance I've seen for a C9 but probably worth the extra few hundred bucks.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
65" Sony X900F is $898 on Amazon today.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Dumb question, but is there an easy way to pair the Hisense H9 remote with my cable box so I can easily change TV channels? It’s an Xfinity box (the X1, I think), and has its own proprietary remote but it would be nice not to need two remotes, especially since xfinity doesn’t yet have the right code for the TV so the xfinity remote can’t change the volume on the TV.

I’m assuming there’s some sort of open protocol because my Xbox used to be able to change the channel via the hdmi cable.

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

I'm planning on replacing my TV. I have a ~60" Plasma that I love - I liked the viewing angle and deep blacks. Should I get an OLED TV, or is there a non OLED that is larger and has excellent contrast?

TV will be for movies, TV, some gaming. Budget is under $6000, with cheaper being better but not that important.

I'm looking at the C9 and the Samsung Q90 - the C9 is smaller and more expensive, but it sounds like the picture is better? Can anyone speak to the differences?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Samsung doesn't make OLEDs, and OLED is on (actually above) plasma's level of image quality.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
OLED will blow your lovely rear end plasma out of the water. Get a 77" GX and enter the pleasure realm.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Thom Yorke raps posted:

I'm looking at the C9 and the Samsung Q90 - the C9 is smaller and more expensive, but it sounds like the picture is better? Can anyone speak to the differences?

The Q90 is an LCD panel with good brightness and local dimming, and the C9 is an OLED with much better contrast, better viewing angles, and better HDMI 2.1 support.

Pretty sure you should get a 77 CX from Costco for $4500 including the squaretrade warranty and delivery if you're in the US.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I managed to throw my phone into my X930E and shatter the screen (on the TV, the phone is fine) :sigh:

Before I haul this to the transfer station in the morning can y'all just confirm there is zero chance of having this fixed? Thanks

e: vvv the jokes write themselves of course but the truth is it was simple, emotionless, stone-sober butterfingers

FBS fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Aug 10, 2020

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

FBS posted:

I managed to throw my phone into my X930E and shatter the screen (on the TV, the phone is fine) :sigh:

Geez I was upset when the Rangers lost, but not that upset.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Thom Yorke raps posted:

I'm planning on replacing my TV. I have a ~60" Plasma that I love - I liked the viewing angle and deep blacks. Should I get an OLED TV, or is there a non OLED that is larger and has excellent contrast?

TV will be for movies, TV, some gaming. Budget is under $6000, with cheaper being better but not that important.

Funnily enough this came up on my YouTube Al-Gore-Rythym last week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLdkiyYeod8

It’s a comparison between Plasma and OLED. It also told me that there was once a 4K Plasma screen, costing a mere £600,000 and weighing at half a ton. The more you know.

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

KS posted:

The Q90 is an LCD panel with good brightness and local dimming, and the C9 is an OLED with much better contrast, better viewing angles, and better HDMI 2.1 support.

Pretty sure you should get a 77 CX from Costco for $4500 including the squaretrade warranty and delivery if you're in the US.

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Samsung doesn't make OLEDs, and OLED is on (actually above) plasma's level of image quality.

I know that the Samsung isn't an OLED, the question is how different the picture quality is for the size tradeoff. Sounds like the extra 5 inches isn't worth it

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I would have loved a 70 inch OLED, but the price jump for 5 inches definitely isn't worth it at this point.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Thom Yorke raps posted:

I know that the Samsung isn't an OLED, the question is how different the picture quality is for the size tradeoff. Sounds like the extra 5 inches isn't worth it

Bear in mind that 5 inches, it’s not length like a ruler. It’s diagonal measure which effects surface.
Basically there is a very substantial difference in size between a 55 inch screen and a 65 inch screen.

The difference in price between the 55 and 65 inch sets is noticeable but it’s not light years apart. While the size difference between 55 and 65 inch sets is very noticeable. (You’ll see it if you go to a TV Store.)

The 77 inch sets at the moment are a big step-up in price. I haven’t seen a 77 inch OLED set in person due to the pandemic, but I would guess that they are quite a difference in size.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Nocheez posted:

I would have loved a 70 inch OLED, but the price jump for 5 inches definitely isn't worth it at this point.

Kind of a weird way to phrase that since we don't know what a 70" OLED would cost. The 12" jump though is getting closer and closer to worth it.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

bull3964 posted:

Kind of a weird way to phrase that since we don't know what a 70" OLED would cost. The 12" jump though is getting closer and closer to worth it.

Sorry, I'm sure I'm misremembering the exact dimensions. It was a huge jump in price, though.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

FBS posted:

Before I haul this to the transfer station in the morning can y'all just confirm there is zero chance of having this fixed? Thanks

e: vvv the jokes write themselves of course but the truth is it was simple, emotionless, stone-sober butterfingers

Have you checked to see if a warranty repair is in the cards? Probably not from accidental damage, but never hurts to check.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

Thom Yorke raps posted:

A 77" CX or C9 with a 5 year burn-in warranty will run you slightly under $6000. You can save $1000 if you forego the warranty, but I think it's worth the peace of mind. They're arguably the best televisions you can buy at that price point, and nothing else on the market can touch their contrast and viewing angles. The Q90 is an excellent set too though, and whether the benefits of OLED outweigh the price differential is something only you can determine. Try to see both in person if you can.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

77" CX $4000 preorder - and Buy Dig will throw in $390 worth of Visa gift cards in your cart.

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

Almost Smart posted:

A 77" CX or C9 with a 5 year burn-in warranty will run you slightly under $6000. You can save $1000 if you forego the warranty, but I think it's worth the peace of mind. They're arguably the best televisions you can buy at that price point, and nothing else on the market can touch their contrast and viewing angles. The Q90 is an excellent set too though, and whether the benefits of OLED outweigh the price differential is something only you can determine. Try to see both in person if you can.

I was looking at the Q80/Q90, but it sounds like the bigger sizes for them are lower quality / lower contrast ratio, and I was only considering them for the larger screen size, so it looks like I'm gonna get the CX

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If I had $6,000 budget for a TV, Samsung wouldn’t even come into the equation.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

EL BROMANCE posted:

If I had $6,000 budget for a TV, Samsung wouldn’t even come into the equation.

Yeah I know there's always some back and forth about budgets but... if you have the money to spend for the CX and you can actually afford it and were budgeting for it... then ya gotta get the CX.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Yeah... Budget of $6k? 77" LG OLED all day, every day.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I don't know why this thread title isn't just "Don't buy Samsung, you goat handle"

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Because if LG didn't have OLED, they wouldn't have anything.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
OLED is everything though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

77" CX $4000 preorder - and Buy Dig will throw in $390 worth of Visa gift cards in your cart.

Thanks for this, just bought one through here. Thanks for the advice everyone