Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Spaced God posted:

"subtle" is doing a lot of work here. Racial stereotypes are pretty much how wrestling has operated since, like, the 30's, and it's a holdover from boxing. And it's really gross

Well the racial stereotypes for the most part have left the industry in the last 10-15 years. The only place where you will see it at all, even subtly is in WWE.

Which WWE and in turn Vince are still stuck in the 1980s in many ways. They are constantly doing very troubling and cringeworthy things. For example they just introduced ANTIFA as a new evil faction just to give you an idea how tone deaf they are.

The rest of the wrestling industry has changed so much and the younger wrestlers are by and large very progressive especially on race and gender. The days of culturally insensitive characters are pretty much gone everywhere else. Hell even the days of Japanese talent coming in as a stereotypical Asian bad guy is gone. The top Japanese stars come into the US and are huge stars and attractions. Intergender wrestling is even starting to be looked at as more and more accepted by the audiences where not that long ago it was incredibly taboo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

gazza posted:

Ah yes the Chinese* have been quietly scheming in the background to evilly achieve evil world domination. Every night Xi Jinping rips off his mask to reveal the face of Fu Manchu, steepling his fingers and cackling as he plans for the eventual invasion of, uh, Japan I guess? That's close to China right? Can't wait until Americans can finally reunite to become the Good Guys again in the great common purpose of seeking a final solution to the Chinese Problem.

*replace with ominous Oriental font

You're being ignorantly obtuse. This isn't a matter of China being some cackling "evil" that needs to be stopped by the "righteous and virtuous" Americans. They're doing what they feel they need to in order to expand their local hegemony and global influence; something any country in their position is want to do.

They have massively upped their game in nearly ever global measure (military/political/economic/etc.) in a bid to become a, if not the, world superpower. They're basically pulling the USA's 1950's international playbook but modified for the current age we live in; one where big data has supplanted big bomb as the leading tool of power projection. They're the only leading nation that has a legit thirty year plan for development and expansion, and they're doing a decent job leveraging their one-party authoritarian system to get these plans into motion (even if you can debate the efficacy of such a gambit). It is that westerners are so used to reactionary politics that they think long term plans from "the outsider" are some hollywood style evil scheme instead of, you know, loving planning!

They've invested heavily in building infrastructure in less developed nations (especially in Africa) to gain new markets of influence and access to those regions' natural resources through exclusionary contracts. They've toss a lot of money into their Thousand Talents Program to try to stem and reverse the brain drain that's happened over the last half century by getting foreign experts to do proprietary research for them. They've focused a lot of research into weapons systems designed not for physical power projection but for layered defense which can be incrementally advanced to form a bubble around the local region. (This is why everyone is harping on the inevitable South China Sea clash. The artificial islands China is creating are being used as both a launching platform for missile systems specifically design to destroy USA style supercarriers and as a baseline to claim larger swaths of territorial ocean.)

These aren't the actions of a country with a straight malicious goal, but they DO necessarily come into conflict with the goals of other world powers. What a lot of westerners abhor are the underlying methods China is using to maintain its stability when enacting these goals. That doesn't make them evil. But it does make them an adversary.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Djarum posted:

Intergender wrestling is even starting to be looked at as more and more accepted by the audiences where not that long ago it was incredibly taboo.

Having worked in the past helping run a mailing list for parents of children who were born 'intersex', with incomplete or ambiguous sex development at birth, I was absolutely epically confused at reading the above for a moment, as I've seen parents use the term 'intergender' in that context.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I won't rest until Andy Kaufman is recognized for his steps in making intergender wrestling a recognized sport.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
WWE has made like a dozen or more terrible decisions related to COVID because Vince McMahon is basically Trump (they’re great friends afaik) except that McMahon possesses willingness to pay people for work. They’ve had several people catch it, encouraged fans not to wear masks, held events without actual testing for months...

But this is all tangential to how it’s a pet project of mine to get people to refer to Trump as a WWE Hall of Famer.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I found the new worst phrase in human history.

https://twitter.com/Timodc/status/1292487792992219136

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

ImpAtom posted:

not digging this brand of fan fiction

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I’m about to make this satanic panic a drat near reality

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Captain Magic posted:

WWE has made like a dozen or more terrible decisions related to COVID because Vince McMahon is basically Trump (they’re great friends afaik) except that McMahon possesses willingness to pay people for work. They’ve had several people catch it, encouraged fans not to wear masks, held events without actual testing for months...

But this is all tangential to how it’s a pet project of mine to get people to refer to Trump as a WWE Hall of Famer.

Well Vince is just as bad as Trump with paying people. Between his famous claim of poverty with Bret Hart, the recent XFL debacle, famously the WWE talent are the lowest paid athletes in all sports.

WWE is making half a billion dollars a year in tv money and not only refuses to give talent raises, health insurance or even handle travel and lodging for talent. Oh and they are the only sports league to let anyone go during the pandemic. And of course reported obscene profits this quarter, showing that they didn’t need to fire any of the talent.

WWE is an awful company, ran by awful, stupid people. I am glad that they are dying.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

You're being ignorantly obtuse. This isn't a matter of China being some cackling "evil" that needs to be stopped by the "righteous and virtuous" Americans. They're doing what they feel they need to in order to expand their local hegemony and global influence; something any country in their position is want to do.

They have massively upped their game in nearly ever global measure (military/political/economic/etc.) in a bid to become a, if not the, world superpower. They're basically pulling the USA's 1950's international playbook but modified for the current age we live in; one where big data has supplanted big bomb as the leading tool of power projection. They're the only leading nation that has a legit thirty year plan for development and expansion, and they're doing a decent job leveraging their one-party authoritarian system to get these plans into motion (even if you can debate the efficacy of such a gambit). It is that westerners are so used to reactionary politics that they think long term plans from "the outsider" are some hollywood style evil scheme instead of, you know, loving planning!

They've invested heavily in building infrastructure in less developed nations (especially in Africa) to gain new markets of influence and access to those regions' natural resources through exclusionary contracts. They've toss a lot of money into their Thousand Talents Program to try to stem and reverse the brain drain that's happened over the last half century by getting foreign experts to do proprietary research for them. They've focused a lot of research into weapons systems designed not for physical power projection but for layered defense which can be incrementally advanced to form a bubble around the local region. (This is why everyone is harping on the inevitable South China Sea clash. The artificial islands China is creating are being used as both a launching platform for missile systems specifically design to destroy USA style supercarriers and as a baseline to claim larger swaths of territorial ocean.)

These aren't the actions of a country with a straight malicious goal, but they DO necessarily come into conflict with the goals of other world powers. What a lot of westerners abhor are the underlying methods China is using to maintain its stability when enacting these goals. That doesn't make them evil. But it does make them an adversary.

who loving cares if they're an adversary. america sucks and i yearn for its death.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

ImpAtom posted:

do not want

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

FizFashizzle posted:

Who is on the fender?

fonzi from happy days

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

anyone else picking up a very subtle troubling racial subtext to these characters?

southern wrestling was racist as gently caress

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Trump isn't destroying the intelligence agencies any more than he's destroying the army. He's interfering with them in dumb but superficial ways and they're trying to brief him like you talk a shitbird child into eating asparagus.

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

ManBoyChef posted:

fonzi from happy days

This thought actually passed my mind at first, but the Fonz didn't have white hair. Then I thought maybe it was supposed to be Andrew Jackson. Then I realized it's probably supposed to be Pence :lol:

Also :lol: at Trump's fat rear end ever having the coordination or commitment to learn to drive anything that isn't a golf cart at this point.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

It's Andrew Jackson, it as A and J written around it.

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

Syfe posted:

It's Andrew Jackson, it as A and J written around it.

poo poo, you're right and my second guess was spot on. Never looked at it up close.

Figures that he'd have a person who was fully complicit in genocide there.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

AlternateNu posted:

I've been reading this stuff for a while about China. But a lot of countries don't trust the Chinese government. Even the One Belt One Road thing has stalled, name changed and revealed to the countries involved it's largely a scam meant to trap foreign governments in debt.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ImpAtom posted:

I thought this genre was passé by now

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

A big flaming stink posted:

who loving cares if they're an adversary. america sucks and i yearn for its death.

Glenn Greenwald account spotted.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Tons of looting and generally awesome poo poo in Chicago last night in the wake of a teenage activist being killed last week and cpd shooting an unarmed 15 year old in a park yesterday. Expect large wet boy to talk about nuking the city or something.

Seriously though check the backlog of posts in the cool zone thread in CSPAM. It ruled.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Can you give a Reader's Digest version? It doesn't seem like a valuable use of time to scroll through what is essentially a live-watch TV IV thread.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Djarum posted:

Well Vince is just as bad as Trump with paying people. Between his famous claim of poverty with Bret Hart, the recent XFL debacle, famously the WWE talent are the lowest paid athletes in all sports.

WWE is making half a billion dollars a year in tv money and not only refuses to give talent raises, health insurance or even handle travel and lodging for talent. Oh and they are the only sports league to let anyone go during the pandemic. And of course reported obscene profits this quarter, showing that they didn’t need to fire any of the talent.

WWE is an awful company, ran by awful, stupid people. I am glad that they are dying.

This company is far from dying and keeps managing to fail upward somehow. Never seen a company degrade in quality so quickly yet make substantially more profits like this.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Thousands of people went to the rich business part of Chicago and looted the gently caress out of everything. Stole Tesla's and BMWs, looted an entire mall, etc. Cops were pretty helpless through the whole thing and only got a small percentage in arrests (though between bad opsec, cctv and people Livestreaming their crimes on Facebook this number will go up. Donate to a Chicago bail fund) while being generally owned by the people. Things got so helpless for the cops they decided their only recourse was to lift all the bridges in downtown so no one could get in or out, which I think is still the case as I post.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Spaced God posted:

Thousands of people went to the rich business part of Chicago and looted the gently caress out of everything. Stole Tesla's and BMWs, looted an entire mall, etc. Cops were pretty helpless through the whole thing and only got a small percentage in arrests (though between bad opsec, cctv and people Livestreaming their crimes on Facebook this number will go up. Donate to a Chicago bail fund) while being generally owned by the people. Things got so helpless for the cops they decided their only recourse was to lift all the bridges in downtown so no one could get in or out, which I think is still the case as I post.

They did this previously during the protests to trap people for arrest.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
re: the Chinese Supremacy thing, and not to get too 'Civiliation' here, but China in general is lacking something that would make it truly threatening on an international scale - Cultural approachability. For one, they're basically trying to make themselves a Han monoculture, which is generally bad. Imagine if they had the basic likeability in Western countries similar to Japan with Video Games/Anime, etc, or Korea with K-Pop (for whatever reason).

It feels like every time the CCP does something that seems like cultural outreach it's taken as being suspect or constructed rather than organic. I get the impression that aside from the massive amounts of money they're pumping into Africa, they're not well-liked there either.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Yeah at this point China will never achieve a cultural victory and should probably focus on the space race.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

My life for Li Ziqi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vusE2HqaAEY

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Same, except in protoss voice

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

Astro7x posted:

This company is far from dying and keeps managing to fail upward somehow. Never seen a company degrade in quality so quickly yet make substantially more profits like this.

I live in the south, and from what I've experienced, WWE is almost as big as loving football around here. Tons of people wearing shirts, bumper stickers on cars, people at work excitedly talking about last night's Smackdown episode and taking road trips to go to tapings. I worked with maybe a dozen people who had been watching wrestling for 30+ years, with the same loyalty and momentum of watching their favorite football team for just as long.

It would take such a monumental drop in quality for most of them to even consider not watching anymore.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Lugubrious posted:

It would take such a monumental drop in quality for most of them to even consider not watching anymore.

or one wrestler saying Black Lives Matter

plogo
Jan 20, 2009

robotsinmyhead posted:

re: the Chinese Supremacy thing, and not to get too 'Civiliation' here, but China in general is lacking something that would make it truly threatening on an international scale - Cultural approachability. For one, they're basically trying to make themselves a Han monoculture, which is generally bad. Imagine if they had the basic likeability in Western countries similar to Japan with Video Games/Anime, etc, or Korea with K-Pop (for whatever reason).

It feels like every time the CCP does something that seems like cultural outreach it's taken as being suspect or constructed rather than organic. I get the impression that aside from the massive amounts of money they're pumping into Africa, they're not well-liked there either.

Lmao if you don't realize they've already taken over most of the major cities in the us through hot pot

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty

plogo posted:

Lmao if you don't realize they've already taken over most of the major cities in the us through hot pot

I left food out of my deeply-correct statements because Greyjoy bastard said not to talk about it :can:

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Hwurmp posted:

or one wrestler saying Black Lives Matter

I mean a whole ton of them did?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
'china will never be a major power because their culture isn't accessible like K-Pop is' is some deep 'you should be wearing a pith helmet when you say this' poo poo. Do you think people liking BTS is 'Korean culture' being more accessable somehow, like you think there's a big cultural exchange going on at a Red Velvet show?

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty

sexpig by night posted:

'china will never be a major power because their culture isn't accessible like K-Pop is' is some deep 'you should be wearing a pith helmet when you say this' poo poo. Do you think people liking BTS is 'Korean culture' being more accessable somehow, like you think there's a big cultural exchange going on at a Red Velvet show?

I was making the point that the CCP purposefully and sometimes violently tamps down organic cultural display for the Chinese people and it's unlikely to get outside their borders, for the most part, as compared to countries in the same region that aren't under the same Governmental heel.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

China is awful at soft power projection because they're zany authoritarian goofballs, not because somebody with a pith helmet told you it's an essential characteristic of Chinese civilization.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

The chinese simply cannot create a pop band that can do a collaboration with Halsey.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
the Han's mind is simply terrified of a collaboration deal with Vimeo, and will react to it with violence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

A big flaming stink posted:

The difference is, the USA lets you say that online without any consequences to your safety, well-being or your family.When you see how the CCP runs things in China you'll want to say similar things, but you can't because you'd get arrested for it due to all their online monitoring.
China heavily polices thought and speech. They wipe their rear end with the first amendment. They also prioritize the well-being of one ethnic group (the Hans) to the exclusion of everyone else. They erase any kind of cultural or religious roots a group of people might have that could potential foment disorder or a lack of loyalty to the ruling party.

The only thing China is doing well enough is bringing prosperity and a substantial improvement in living standards to a big enough segment of its population. There's more millionaires in China now then there are people in some countries. Unfortunately that money comes out of the pockets of America's weak and destitute. This part isn't China's fault, they were given an opportunity and made the most of it. For that the blame lies squarely with the capitalist class of all major western countries who sold out their own people's prosperity to China so that they can make an extra buck.

I know the US is not a popular country right now. I know that they've been responsible for unimaginable pain and suffering for a lot of people. But the country as it exists has also done a lot of good and still has the capacity to be reformed into a better place. While a lot has been done to undermine and restrict America's democratic institutions and place them under the control of the wealthy they still exist and are still recoverable. China cannot and will not be reformed without a violent revolution, which will never come because they've got every facet of society monitored by a digital panopticon. Not even the fever dreams of a Zuckerberg type of person come close to what China is doing today with facial recognition, monitoring software and their "Social Credit System".

It's great to fantasize about some outside power providing an alternative to the deplorable manner in which the USA conducts itself today but you do not want what China is offering. It will be worse and you won't have any outlet to complain about it like we have here.

If China looked and operated a lot like Taiwan, I'd welcome them wholeheartedly because yes they would run things better than America and they don't suppress their citizens with authoritarian bullshit.

Kraftwerk fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Aug 10, 2020