Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

dex_sda posted:

i will never forgive fortnite for killing the newest ut

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Epic High Five posted:

really starting to dread that chirp that means Die Hardman is about to explain something to me I already know.

this post is making me think I'm still asleep

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

The best bit of halo is when you do a level so samey they had to put arrows on the floor. Then later you have to do the level again backwards against the arrows.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

dex_sda posted:

i will never forgive fortnite for killing the newest ut

this but all shooters

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Homeless Friend posted:

this but all shooters

sure but ut is a direct loving hit son

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
at least titanfall2 is getting a resurgence what with being on steam now

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

dex_sda posted:

sure but ut is a direct loving hit son

UT was amazing fun

younger generations shall not know the insane, hilarious thrill of low gravity instagib deathmatch in morpheus or crazy shenanigans in ctf-face

then again the epic that was developing fortnite was already a hollow shell of itself

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
ut is the sole good thing epic games has ever done in any way

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Epic High Five posted:

really starting to dread that chirp that means Die Hardman is about to explain something to me I already know.
yeah that was super annoying

a minor plot point is presented obviously

Bruce Willis here to hammer in what you just realized or realized half an hour ago just in case you somehow missed it!

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
now is the perfect time for another unreal tournament

just reboot UT2K4

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

As fun as it was, the death match format is dead forever. Counterstrike saw to that. UT tried to move towards objective based shootemups with their underdeveloped rugby style game Bombing rub, a kind of reverse capture the flag. It didn't work because the game wasn't designed that way.

Team Fortress has ushered in a new era of class based, objective oriented shooters, and I'm all for it. Overwatch did a great job picking up that mantle and providing a huge amount of diversity in play styles, so much so that the skills for one class may never transfer over to the skills for another.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Honest Thief posted:

at least titanfall2 is getting a resurgence what with being on steam now

The SP was short, sweet memorable especially all the wall running bits and are you afraid of heights moments.

Plus how all the extra mechanics go together like building up enough momentum so you can do a slide kick to insta-kill enemy infantry and also the the large piles of weapons to try out with everything from assault shotguns to electrical zapper weapons that liquefy bad guys.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
UT2K4 had onslaught mode

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the guy that made rocket league got his start making vehicles for ut2004

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
UT would be deathmatch bliss if it got rid of double-tap hopping

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Hodgepodge posted:

you can literally tell any story, there are a ton of stories, even limiting yourself to poo poo that actually happened, you can tell about WWII. the choice of what story to tell and how matters, and frankly acting like it's some vague mystical crap is just reactionary bs that dismisses basic literacy skills and paying more than superficial attention to culture as mystical woo.

we've been over this, WWII began when Caesar crossed the Rubicon

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

UT had assault, which was great, in 1999

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I'm staring at the Fortnite icon on my desktop

did you know that they released Unreal Tournament as a demo in 2014? they intended to beta test and release a game in 2015 or 2016

:argh:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

FFT posted:

yeah that was super annoying

a minor plot point is presented obviously

Bruce Willis here to hammer in what you just realized or realized half an hour ago just in case you somehow missed it!
Management trying to make himself look useful.

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Team Fortress has ushered in a new era of class based, objective oriented shooters, and I'm all for it. Overwatch did a great job picking up that mantle and providing a huge amount of diversity in play styles, so much so that the skills for one class may never transfer over to the skills for another.

Kind of a non sequitur, but god drat I hate all of the characters in Overwatch. Most of them are really awful people.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

i really don't like anything that's super esportsy as a rule. i've been told that the moniker for people like me is 'carebear'

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
yeah i think its possible for deathmatching to become vogue again, battle royales are just deathmatches more or less

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016
To add: even if some of the characters on team Overwatch are "nice" people, they still work for an ultra rich globalist agency working to suppress minority outrage.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

dex_sda posted:

even tarantino had a story where the 'bear jew' wrecked nazis and literally eviscerated hitler. tarantino.

yeah but that's about constructing a fantasy, a legendary version of yourself and your history, and forcing people to recognize it, and also about how it's not fair that people think Tarantino makes trash and Spielberg doesn't.

every Tarantino movie is about movies.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Overwatch did a great job picking up that mantle and providing a huge amount of diversity in play styles, so much so that the skills for one class may never transfer over to the skills for another.

eh, i really dislike the "everything is moba heros, skills and cooldowns" poo poo that defined a few years of gaming there

planetside 2 is a v bad game with dogshit guns and gunplay, but its otherwise the direction i wish team & combined arms shooters would head

dex_sda posted:

UT had assault, which was great, in 1999

assault/rush modes are the best

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016
Automatic matchmaking in FPS games is awful imo

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Breakfast All Day posted:

assault/rush modes are the best

they are, just a shame assault is completely broken because of the impact hammer

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Overwatch did a great job picking up that mantle and providing a huge amount of diversity in play styles, so much so that the skills for one class may never transfer over to the skills for another.

lol, i've one-tricked Moira for so long that I'm essentially useless as any other character except "shoot at mans" people like Soldier or McCree, I can Reaper decently as well, but any of the more complex heroes like most of the tanks and the high skill ceiling DPS? pfffffffftbbbllllltbllbblpt

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i stopped playing pvp fps games when the old server systems went away. playing the same group of people all day is way better than randos you get skill matched with or whatever

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

smarxist posted:

now is the perfect time for another unreal tournament

just reboot UT2K4

A new UT and a new Tribes.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Victory Position posted:

I'm staring at the Fortnite icon on my desktop

did you know that they released Unreal Tournament as a demo in 2014? they intended to beta test and release a game in 2015 or 2016

:argh:

it’s basically dead but it’s open source at least

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

i stopped playing pvp fps games when the old server systems went away. playing the same group of people all day is way better than randos you get skill matched with or whatever

most games you cant even filter for what maps you to search for anymore. someone gifted me battlefront 2 and i just wanted to play the different maps a few times before tossing it in the garbage heap where it belongs and gave up because it kept doing the same 3 over and over

or csgo where you have to use a 3rd party utility just to be matched to games on your continent

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

poo poo, the latest cawladoody doesn't even have a vote to skip option.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

it reminds me of when during the height of early 2000s drm they wanted to sell those mp3 players where you could only do shuffle with preloaded top 40s shovelmusic

although everyone just uses spotify now so i guess the brainwashing works eventually

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Breakfast All Day posted:

eh, i really dislike the "everything is moba heros, skills and cooldowns" poo poo that defined a few years of gaming there

I dunno, it lets you have so much more variety than "dude with gun vs. dude with similar gun". OW has jetpacks and axes and tesla cannons and shields and silence and yes, a lot of guns. But, man, nothing burns me out faster on an FPS than realizing that no matter how many maps in how many modes with how many opponents, every loving player is fundamentally the same, and that makes every match you play feel redundant.

Admiral Ray posted:

A new UT and a new Tribes.

DO IT YOU loving COWARDS!!!!!

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

That also ignores that everything in an FPS is already basically a cooldown: Your gun has a cooldown called reloading, your health refills on a cooldown, even your sprint can be exhausted in some games and refills over time.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

our lives are just a cooldown before our abilities end. makes u think

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I dunno, it lets you have so much more variety than "dude with gun vs. dude with similar gun". OW has jetpacks and axes and tesla cannons and shields and silence and yes, a lot of guns. But, man, nothing burns me out faster on an FPS than realizing that no matter how many maps in how many modes with how many opponents, every loving player is fundamentally the same, and that makes every match you play feel redundant.

i get where you're coming from, but for me that variety and sustained interest comes from having bigger battles with macro-scale tactical/strategic contexts to them along with micro-scale loadout and individual tactics variation, without the memorization/timesink aspect of hero counter-pairings in mobas

e: i guess you can think of it as map-and-unit-counter games versus collectible card games. both have their place but appeal to different playstyles

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Cpt_Obvious posted:

This is patently untrue. There are a near infinite number of ways you can have mouthbreather inflicted on you, from the 6-stack preform spawncamping you, to boosters, to being the only one on the team not being interested in playing CTF like it's TDM...every match is a fresh, new hell of mouthbreathing single-serving playmates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

i just like shootin bad man with guns, and both counmterstrike and ut did it well in different ways