Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

boar guy posted:

i can definitely do a shorter duration next time, just trying to make sure that people with different schedules and things have a chance to get scores in.

instead of a shorter duration, why not concurrent tournaments with staggered start times?

ie, have a 7 day start on sunday, another 7 day start on wednesday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

okay, standings after 2 rounds:
code:
Player	The Getaway	White Water	Overall Points

TBA	418,229,760	542,364,710	22
Ciaphas	241,463,850	138,449,510	17
rexroom	117,421,120	142,451,430	15
Lawful	115,240,560	136,903,970	12
Hopdog	121,028,900	106,802,580	12
Diddly	 54,709,240	146,727,540	11
Gromit	392,327,770		  0	10
Lloyddy	 73,423,530	 88,852,850	8
Kliff	231,513,120		  0	8
Luci		  0	129,185,600	6
Labor	 60,020,110 	 80,203,860	6
clowns	 55,952,420	 42,910,660	3
Balatro   	  0	 69,022,570	2

god drat does bbcode suck :) maybe i should just post an image next time.

as for the suggestion re: staggered tourneys, it's a good idea; that way you can have a "final" as well where the qualifiers from the two tourneys play each other.

Next up: we'll finish our weird, hard drainy tournament with another hard, drainy and weird game: Safe Cracker. same as always, a week to get in your scores on Tournament settings with unlimited plays.

I just kinda started this thing out of nowhere but will solicit feedback for the next one since participation is a little better than i thought it'd be, though not as good as i'd like for a game with such broad cross-platform play. mods/admins, maybe you could give up a cert for plat or something for a prize, for the next one, if you're reading? :tipshat:

room: SonOfADiddly
password:goonball

have fun!

boar guy fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Aug 10, 2020

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Those 5x playfields really bring in some serious points. Get White Water multiball activated and you're basically cheating.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

Those 5x playfields really bring in some serious points. Get White Water multiball activated and you're basically cheating.

i swear to god it gave me the light extra ball award once too, during tournament play. not that i collected it, or anything.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

It lights, but it unlights if you drain anyway and it's such a bastard of a shot I couldn't even be bothered

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I never actually got around to playing Safe Cracker before now. Didn't know it wasn't a three-ball game, that's interesting

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

I never actually got around to playing Safe Cracker before now. Didn't know it wasn't a three-ball game, that's interesting

yeah it's super weird but also awesome. this is one game IRL that i can't NOT put money in if i encounter it

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

boar guy posted:

okay, standings after 2 rounds:
code:
Player	The Getaway	White Water	Overall Points

TBA	418,229,760	542,364,710	22
Ciaphas	241,463,850	138,449,510	17
rexroom	117,421,120	142,451,430	15
Lawful	115,240,560	136,903,970	12
Hopdog	121,028,900	106,802,580	12
Diddly	 54,709,240	146,727,540	11
Gromit	392,327,770		  0	10
Lloyddy	 73,423,530	 88,852,850	8
Kliff	231,513,120		  0	8
Luci		  0	129,185,600	6
Labor	 60,020,110 	 80,203,860	6
clowns	 55,952,420	 42,910,660	3
Balatro   	  0	 69,022,570	2

god drat does bbcode suck :) maybe i should just post an image next time.

as for the suggestion re: staggered tourneys, it's a good idea; that way you can have a "final" as well where the qualifiers from the two tourneys play each other.

Next up: we'll finish our weird, hard drainy tournament with another hard, drainy and weird game: Safe Cracker. same as always, a week to get in your scores on Tournament settings with unlimited plays.

I just kinda started this thing out of nowhere but will solicit feedback for the next one since participation is a little better than i thought it'd be, though not as good as i'd like for a game with such broad cross-platform play. mods/admins, maybe you could give up a cert for plat or something for a prize, for the next one, if you're reading? :tipshat:

room: SonOfADiddly
password:goonball

have fun!

I just want to say that I appreciate you putting in the effort to set up these little tourneys. I've been jonesing for some competitive pinball and this really revitalized my interest in Pinball FX3.

Safe Cracker sucks though I don't care how cool a concept it is it feels cramped and confusing

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

even at my favorite tables everyone can beat my best

e: on an actual real physical tournament setup for whitewater are you able to overshoot the upper play field when you plunge the ball?

The Voice of Labor fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Aug 10, 2020

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

The Voice of Labor posted:

even at my favorite tables everyone can beat my best

e: on an actual real physical tournament setup for whitewater are you able to overshoot the upper play field when you plunge the ball?

as in coming down the Spine Chiller? IRL it's much easier to plunge too hard and go there, instead of to the upper playfield

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

yeah

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Uh, apparently the Vault Assault mode started with the magic tokens are scored on the same scoreboard? What?

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family

Ciaphas posted:

Uh, apparently the Vault Assault mode started with the magic tokens are scored on the same scoreboard? What?

Well, that's one way to level the playing field (yeah, I know you need to earn a token first, but still). It's better than the billion point shot on Bride of Pinbot.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

LawfulWaffle posted:

I just want to say that I appreciate you putting in the effort to set up these little tourneys. I've been jonesing for some competitive pinball and this really revitalized my interest in Pinball FX3.

my pleasure! i actually quit competitive IRL pinball back in February, but this little tourney has also revitalized my interest in it

as for SafeCracker, yes, you are probably gonna have to play until you beat the board game to get a high score for this one :) the next tourney will use more popular/less weird tables

for the next one we'll do shorter time periods and more games. i would love to see a hundred people playing in these things

Joiny
Aug 9, 2005

Would you like to peruse my wares?

boar guy posted:

i would take someone with you that knows what to look for, and at the very least peruse this before you go: https://www.gameroomguys.com/guide-to-buying-used-pinball-machines

play the game for half an hour before you pay for it. but the price seems fair, unless it needs a ton of work.

also, are you comfortable soldering? using a voltmeter? reading a wiring diagram? pinball repair is $80 an hour so either resign yourself to paying that every time a target doesn't register, or resign yourself to learning to wrench on machines. i wouldn't feel comfortable buying an EM because even the guys i know that work on pins professionally say if you look at them wrong they stop working properly.
these machines take maintenance. there's nothing set it and forget it about them. i think that's important to know.

Tony Phillips posted:

If it's clean and fully working, $1k for a Capt Fantastic isn't even that bad. Not my favorite table, but highly regarded. Condition is king of course, and with EMs this goes doubly so for the backglass. It's stupid how much the value of an EM is tied up in the backglass. Off the top of my head, I think CF has a mirrored backglass. You'll want as little flaking as possible...

Thank you for the advice! Luckily I have a good amount of training with voltmeters, wiring diagrams, and problem solving computer bullshit, so this does sound like a good opportunity to pick up a table on the 'cheap' and test out how much I like maintaining it haha. Will give some updates if/when the deal goes through.

Edit:For anyone who likes Pinball FX on the switch, many of the tables are on sale for historical lows now.

Joiny fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Aug 10, 2020

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

boar guy posted:

as for SafeCracker, yes, you are probably gonna have to play until you beat the board game to get a high score for this one :) the next tourney will use more popular/less weird tables

This tournament is the first time I've ever played it, and it is not appealing at all. However, the contest is a good way of making me spend some real time on it, as sometimes what seems like a dire table becomes good when you learn the rules. That certainly happened with some of the original FX tables.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

:siren: :coolfish: :siren:

Fish Tales is in the house.

But I was so worried about the widths and lengths of the car and our house doors, that I completely neglected to think about the height of my basement ceiling. The fish topper is going to have to sit on a shelf to the side.

EDIT:

Inferior Third Season fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Aug 11, 2020

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Are there other games like Safecrackers with different basic playmodes than 3-drains and you're out? Preferably less, uh, cramped ones? :v:

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

Are there other games like Safecrackers with different basic playmodes than 3-drains and you're out? Preferably less, uh, cramped ones? :v:

Everyone's Gottlieb favorite - Goin' Nuts. Which might still be available in whatever train wreck version of TPA still exists.

Going back further - there's an old Williams EM called "Travel Time" that uses a timed play mechanism. Rather unique for it's day.
https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=2636
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VpUPuYrTYY

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Make sure you pump up the volume for Goin' Nuts to get the full experience

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

canyoneer posted:

Make sure you pump up the volume for Goin' Nuts to get the full experience

Can't stress this enough. You really want to hear both notes.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

there's also Beat The Clock, guaranteed to cause out-of-order play and DQs in a tournament

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

shouldn't be too hard to fins a pachinko machine if you want a variation on the usual play flow

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
There's a game about the size of a pin table where you rapid-fire shoot a ton of balls at targets. No idea what the name of that is, and if memory serves it looked boring as all hell.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Gromit posted:

There's a game about the size of a pin table where you rapid-fire shoot a ton of balls at targets. No idea what the name of that is, and if memory serves it looked boring as all hell.

Literally:
https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=3568

And yeah - it's not very good.

Edit - actually, I think I've played the very similar equally boring Williams version that came first. Hyperball.
https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=3169

edit 2 : Great minds eventually think alike.

Billy Gnosis posted:

Hyperball? I played it at California extreme a few times and it was fun while the novelty was still there

Edit apparently Williams and Bally had competing games in this genre? .

Tony Phillips fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Aug 12, 2020

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Gromit posted:

Hyperball? I played it at California extreme a few times and it was fun while the novelty was still there

Edit apparently Williams and Bally had competing games in this genre? .

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

a transparent playfield covering an array of hall effect sensors wired to multicolor leds that dim over the course of 3 seconds after being trigered. no score, draining shoots the ball straight up the table. call it "tracers"

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Hyperball is fun but can literally destroy your eardrums if you play it for a long time (allegedly)

AzureFlame
Nov 26, 2009
The Great Minds at Pinside seem convinced that the next Stern theme is going to be Jaws, thoughts? Elwin and ZombieYeti both have posted recent Jaws references but it feels like a misdirect. (Godzilla?)
It doesn't really appeal to me but my first thought was it would make bank at movie theaters... and then remembered that those probably won't be around in a year.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

It’s almost certainly going to be Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

One for Ausgoons - Lloyds Auctions have a bunch of arcade and pinball machines up on their site, closing near the end of August. Some backglass and playfields if that's your thing, too.

https://www.lloydsonline.com.au/AuctionLots.aspx?smode=0&aid=18295

Apparently it has seen some mention on TV so don't expect amazing prices. Still, maybe worth a look in a couple of weeks but factor in the freight and buyer's premium.

AzureFlame
Nov 26, 2009

bort posted:

It’s almost certainly going to be Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band.

Hell yeah, shoot a ramp up E Street to start Big Man Multiball. If Monster Bash is anything to go by more tables should have sax solos.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

a battlefield earth table revitalizing the industry because every scientologist is forced to buy at least 3 of them

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Gromit posted:

One for Ausgoons - Lloyds Auctions have a bunch of arcade and pinball machines up on their site, closing near the end of August. Some backglass and playfields if that's your thing, too.

https://www.lloydsonline.com.au/AuctionLots.aspx?smode=0&aid=18295

Apparently it has seen some mention on TV so don't expect amazing prices. Still, maybe worth a look in a couple of weeks but factor in the freight and buyer's premium.

Jesus i'd pick up one of those 2000s Sterns.

Either CSI, Wheel of Fortune or Monopoly. One of those I think never had its code finished, and one of them (Wheel?) is a low alright game for its time.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
I've never played CSI, but I enjoyed monopoly a lot more the wheel of fortune. Opinions and stuff.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

csi is Bland: The Pinball

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Out of those three Monopoly is the only one I would consider. CSI gets boring quickly and WoF has too many crappy gimmicks.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

What platforms work best for PinballFX? I still use Farsight on an iPad :froggonk: and imagine you’re all using controllers on consoles.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

bort posted:

What platforms work best for PinballFX? I still use Farsight on an iPad :froggonk: and imagine you’re all using controllers on consoles.

i play with a keyboard on PC and handicap myself by never nudging

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

bort posted:

Switch is my favorite. The Joy-Cons have a special feature called HD Rumble that can create sensations other controllers can't replicate. You can feel the subtle vibration of the ball rolling down the table and all the impacts like slingshots, bumpers, etc. feel excellent. The Switch version can also switch between horizontal or vertical mode at any time with a button press. I have a Flip Grip for handheld and a rotating mount for my TV so I can play vertically and it works really well.

The one drawback is that the Switch doesn't have the Marvel tables.