Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Barry Shitpeas posted:

If you never join the Hermetic Order leylines will not affect your game in any way

Yeah, you can pave right over them if you never join them. Not an issue.

I did try out a Hermetic Order game (as the Maya) last game I played and they are definitely a slow burner compared to other secret societies, but god drat they pay off big-time late-game when the leylines start giving out crazy tile yields.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
Ley lines can kind of affect you if you are not hermetic. Other civs will place their improvements/districts around them. If you conquer those cities you can have badly placed stuff. But then again, the ai really doesn't place things well in the first place.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Just figured out that the Medic promotion for apostles lets them heal themselves up like a normal unit, not just buff the healing of units nearby.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I've been trying to get a religious Victory, but it seems really tough at high difficulties. I never seem to be good at stomping out other religions, so I can't hold on when I shift my focus around. It also feels super tedious, just a lot of units to always manage.

Should I be building holy sites in every city?

Also, are the AIs building boats in the midgame anymore? I always feel like I have insane naval dominance with frigates and caravels

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

The Glumslinger posted:

I've been trying to get a religious Victory, but it seems really tough at high difficulties. I never seem to be good at stomping out other religions, so I can't hold on when I shift my focus around. It also feels super tedious, just a lot of units to always manage.

Also, are the AIs building boats in the midgame anymore? I always feel like I have insane naval dominance with frigates and caravels

Best way to get religious victory is to settle/conquer a whole bunch of cities and make sure they follow your religion, then convert 1 or 2 civs to be your religion, then trade away enough of your cities to the remaining AI so that they will have more cities following your religion then not. You may need to convert one city after this to get the game to register that you won.

If you're doing it the normal way, It is super tedious. Start by settling as many cities as you can, and make sure you have a holy site (a GOOD [+3 or better] holy site if possible) in each. Then you have to get some stuff in place, but during this process, make sure you protect your religion inside your civilization, and if you see an easy city or two to flip with missionaries, go ahead. However, Train Moksha up to level 3 with the Patron Saint promotion, for the extra promotion on Apostles. Save a up a whole bunch of faith, you should be using the faith boosting policy cards if you can. Make sure your religion has the cheaper apostle/missionary belief. Also get the Hagia Sophia if you can. Then switch to Theocracy, and once all the pieces are in order, mass buy apostles in the Moksha city. Get like ten and send that wave out, then repeat the process with another ten and so on. Every city should pretty much just get their holy site built up and basic infrastructure, and then just be running holy site projects for more faith.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Aug 9, 2020

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

The Glumslinger posted:

The toughest part is probably just getting a religion in the first place. On Deity the AIs can rush a religion fairly quickly.

Yes. Build holy sites in every city. Also try to take a faith generating pantheon like earth goddess.

Don't try to convert piecemeal. Use one overwhelming wave. Save up your faith and mass buy apostles and a few gurus at once after you have theocracy. Then send en masses to convert. The most useful apostle promotions are debater, prosletyiser, and translator. Concentrate on murdering their religious units first, then use charges to convert cities with holy sites in particular.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

The Glumslinger posted:

If the Jerusalem and/or Yerevan city states are in your game make sure you become suzerain. Also get Moksha his 'apostles get a second upgrade ability'. If you have both Yerevan and that you can make apostles with Proselytizer and Translator to make stupidly powerful units that will straight up murder another civs religion in cities.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Is there any particular reason that this game would specifically run like complete garbage for me? I have a powerful computer that runs most graphical/cpu-intensive games at high fine but this game completely chugs, like I am always the last to load into multiplayer games even behind people running on crappy laptops, and about 100 turns in, the input response starts getting choppy, to the point that the program literally fades into the "not responding" mode for seconds at a time when I do something like switch units

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
what's your display mode because civ 6 always gives me grief when it's set to Fullscreen (as opposed to borderless windowed)

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The trick to religious victory is to eliminate your rival religions as soon as possible. The AI can’t use their faith output if they don’t have any cities of their majority religion. When you come across a civ that has founded a religion, scout their cities and see which ones have holy sites. Then alpha strike those cities and convert them at least to the point of “no majority religion.” Once that’s done they can’t produce new religious units, and you can convert their cities that don’t have holy sites to keep them from building new ones. Usually most of the broad scale converting is done by killing their religious units rushing back home to convert back their holy city. Once that is done, the religion is out of the game, and you can repeat the process until there is no AI training religious units, and the rest of the world can be turned at your own pace. At least on King and below, I have never seen a civ bother to spread a religion it didn’t found, outside of Kongo.

Yerevan and Moksha’s promotions help a lot, theocracy and religious orders will make your units tougher, and the best promotions are Debater for religious combat, Proselytizer for getting rid of majority religions, and Translator for converting said proselytized cities afterwards.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

So Human Eleanor vs AI Eleanor is hilarious as could be. AI settles a pissant city near the player, Player flips it without trying because it was settle on Eleanor's borders. AI Eleanor then bitches at the human having a pissant little city so close to her borders because of her innate agenda of wanting only big, beautiful cities near her borders.

Human player laughs and doesn't care because they're winning anyways, got a free city, and the achievement for stealing Eleanor's city as Eleanor. :v:

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

One trick I read about that makes religious victories easy is to build a wagon wheel of 6 apostles with a guru at the center. March this into the center of the civ you are converting and use it to fend off the enemy apostles while you send in a stream of missionaries and replacements until their cities are wiped out. Eventually you'll have enough apostles to build a couple of these wheels so you can attack multiple civs at the same time. I've done this a few times on Diety and it is definitely the easiest victory type for me to get there.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Yeah the key is just to pump your religious combat strength and never let your apostles die (unless they’re proselytisers/translators), win the unit war and then alpha strike the holy site cities when you get the chance. 1 guru per group of apostles lets you sustain the fights without having to run back to heal after, and keep track of the enemy debaters and decide if you can evade them or send your own debater in with friends to kill them. Try to have the fights on the very edges of inside ‘your’ territory to get the most out of winning without taking holy ground penalties (unless you have overwhelming combat strength benefit, then have all the fights by their cities)

Blasmeister fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Aug 9, 2020

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Yeah the big thing for me has always been just not using that last charge on apostles, especially those with the debater promotion, and using those as troops to cover the apostles/missionaries doing the spreading.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
If you can actually get a religion asap, its Religion is probably the easiest victory condition even on Deity and has been some of my earliest possible wins. The challenge is actually doing that first bit and there's a couple of Civs that are really good at that compared to others, but you can plan around it with anyone else. Use the Great Prophet projects.

Besides getting the micromanaging of apostles and such down and adapting to each situation correctly, ensure you have enough faith out put and beeline the appropriate civics and techs and picking the right beliefs. Theology -> Theocracy as soon as possible if the games dragging, etc. Oracle, Mahabodhi, and Hagia Sophia are all useful wonders for religion games. A few others might help but those are priority if you have the window for wonders at all. Stonehenge is also great if you're China or have the start to rush it (since the latest several updates the AI doesn't rush it as much in my experience.) Mosques and the beliefs that either discount your missionaries and apostles or prevent loss to religion from theological combat are useful, the latter in conjunction with Reliquaries especially. Only science techs besides the one that unlocks Hagia, you need are whatever benefits your economy best for now and beelining defensive ones. So grab Crossbows asap and all that. Try to actually be friends with everyone otherwise.

I've found Guru's rarely necessary if you're hitting your opponents right but maybe that's just me. Also Arabia is kind of a trap as a religious civ.

Last tip is don't be afraid to pivot to a tourism long game if you gotta, Reliquaries is especially good in that regard.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
Also remember that you can buy Great Prophets with faith, and they are MUCH cheaper than the other Great People - like 300-400 faith. If you pick an initial pantheon that gives decent faith yields, like Earth Goddess or one of the holy site adjacency ones, you can reliably earn enough faith to buy the first or second Prophet.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The White Dragon posted:

what's your display mode because civ 6 always gives me grief when it's set to Fullscreen (as opposed to borderless windowed)

I have been playing in Windowed mode because in my multiplayer sessions I have other windows and stuff to deal with. I suppose I will try borderless windowed.

I don't know how much of it is graphics anyway though, since it has these issues even when I start and stay in strategic mode. Also the load times...

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

A frustrating thing about the Martyr promotion is that I can't get the AI to fight my martyrs, they just make their units run away. Also Kandy's suzerain bonus is broken and doesn't actually grant Relics for finding wonders.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

showbiz_liz posted:

Also remember that you can buy Great Prophets with faith, and they are MUCH cheaper than the other Great People - like 300-400 faith. If you pick an initial pantheon that gives decent faith yields, like Earth Goddess or one of the holy site adjacency ones, you can reliably earn enough faith to buy the first or second Prophet.

Though you still need a holy site to redeem it so plan accordingly

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Chamale posted:

A frustrating thing about the Martyr promotion is that I can't get the AI to fight my martyrs, they just make their units run away. Also Kandy's suzerain bonus is broken and doesn't actually grant Relics for finding wonders.

Last time I played it a month or so ago it did, are you sure you had empty relic slots?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Anyone know if Civ V crossplay works between Mac and PC? I've heard mixed things. Edit: Looks like the Catalina update broke crossplay with Mac for good, but it should still work between PC and Linux.

Blasmeister posted:

Last time I played it a month or so ago it did, are you sure you had empty relic slots?

I did. This was a couple months ago, hopefully a patch or update fixed it.

Chamale fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Aug 10, 2020

Dikkfor
Feb 4, 2010
So it turns out that if you combine floodplains with the Great Bath(+1 faith per flood) and Soothsayers(can create floods on demand) you can get some pretty good faith generation.

Add in an Ethiopia with Voidsingers that converts 35% faith generation to science and culture then you can get something like this:

I'm not even going for optimal strategy here, just having fun making GBS threads out faith bought units and Moksha bought districts.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Have he developers decided that they can't fix VI, so they are just self-modding it into an insane, but hopefully fun mess?

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

The Human Crouton posted:

Have he developers decided that they can't fix VI, so they are just self-modding it into an insane, but hopefully fun mess?

They've said they're happy with where its at otherwise in terms of baseline balance and mechanics, and are just feeding us a bunch of fun optional stuff that can be mixed and matched.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I have the impression that the AI got somewhat better in city building after the last patch. Im seeing bigger AI cities, and with better placed districts and more developed tiles

At the other hand, late game Im also seeing they build useless spaceports in several cities

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Elias_Maluco posted:

I have the impression that the AI got somewhat better in city building after the last patch. Im seeing bigger AI cities, and with better placed districts and more developed tiles

At the other hand, late game Im also seeing they build useless spaceports in several cities

Multiple spaceports can serve a purpose. After the ship is launched they can all make laser stations at the same time, and also if you have multiple spaceports then one getting sabotaged is less of a problem.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

The optional rules are another great addition to the Civ franchise. Future Civ games should all have this too. I am really enjoying the secret societies.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

showbiz_liz posted:

Multiple spaceports can serve a purpose. After the ship is launched they can all make laser stations at the same time, and also if you have multiple spaceports then one getting sabotaged is less of a problem.

True but still, sometimes Ive seem like 3 or 4, some in small cities

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Elias_Maluco posted:

They still don't take full advantage of their bonuses. I have yet to see Maori build a Pa, which sucks if you're trying to play a loving rock concert next to one for that drat achievement.

Also, Voidsinger Georgia was fun and steamrolled everyone else's religion by the 18th century.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Is there any dang way to win a Diplomatic victory other than waiting for the World Council to start doing scored events and diplo point votes, getting to 16, and then building the Statue of Liberty? I've noticed that once you hit 16 the AI decides to stop you and it doesn't matter how much Favor you have, you're not gonna outvote the rest of the world all pooling their votes on the option to take 2 points away from you.

So I've got Liberty 5 turns away from being built and just holding for now and I've been spending turns just waiting for the opportunity to earn more points. This seems really slow and also if anyone else decides to build the statue, now it's impossible.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Playing smart on all the other congress stuff helps. You get other points for voting for motions that pass. My first deity win was a semiaccidental Diplo win as Greece that happened that way, but the excess envoys probably did more than the Statue of Liberty ever would have.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

CapnAndy posted:

Is there any dang way to win a Diplomatic victory other than waiting for the World Council to start doing scored events and diplo point votes, getting to 16, and then building the Statue of Liberty? I've noticed that once you hit 16 the AI decides to stop you and it doesn't matter how much Favor you have, you're not gonna outvote the rest of the world all pooling their votes on the option to take 2 points away from you.

So I've got Liberty 5 turns away from being built and just holding for now and I've been spending turns just waiting for the opportunity to earn more points. This seems really slow and also if anyone else decides to build the statue, now it's impossible.

Only trick I have there is to vote against yourself so you only lose 1 point.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Elias_Maluco posted:

True but still, sometimes Ive seem like 3 or 4, some in small cities

Sometimes those tundra cities you settle for oil/uranium need something else to do late game, idk?

CapnAndy posted:

Are you playing with apoc mode on? Usually there's more than enough emergencies to get over the finish line.

Beyond that, the trick seems to be to vote against yourself in those situations. Use all your favor on the first two questions, whatever they are, and then vote to take away 3 points from yourself. You get 3 points for being on the winning side and lose 3 points, so it's a wash. You should be able to win a couple emergencies or a scored competition or two after that.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Yeah as long as you know how the ai tends to vote you will easily get 2-3 points per world congress, ignoring aid requests. And this includes voting against yourself. Diplo victory is overall the absolute easiest victory type, especially if you're already going for a culture win. If I forget to turn off diplo victory I will win it before I ever get even halfway through a tourism one.

Also you know you can win diplo victory without ever settling. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CZEEvZqJC0

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Eimi posted:

Yeah as long as you know how the ai tends to vote you will easily get 2-3 points per world congress, ignoring aid requests. And this includes voting against yourself.

Rimusutera posted:

Playing smart on all the other congress stuff helps. You get other points for voting for motions that pass.
Okay, am I missing something or is this because I'm playing on Prince? The only options I see are "Target player gains 2 points" and "Target player loses 2 points" and none of the other motions award diplo points at all. You get diplo points for being on the passing side of any motion?

Chad Sexington posted:

Beyond that, the trick seems to be to vote against yourself in those situations. Use all your favor on the first two questions, whatever they are, and then vote to take away 3 points from yourself.
And I don't see why burning all your favor on questions you don't care about is helpful at all, so I really don't get it.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

CapnAndy posted:

Okay, am I missing something or is this because I'm playing on Prince? The only options I see are "Target player gains 2 points" and "Target player loses 2 points" and none of the other motions award diplo points at all. You get diplo points for being on the passing side of any motion?

Yep

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

That is extremely new information that the game probably should have presented to me!

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

CapnAndy posted:

That is extremely new information that the game probably should have presented to me!

When I figured this out is when I started winning Diplo victories by accident, just because I now know to always vote for the most popular option every time (and have played long enough to learn what those often are). I actually wonder if they deliberately hide the info for that reason.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

It does feel silly that simply writing down what the AI likes to vote for gives you a gigantic advantage over anyone playing the game normally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

CapnAndy posted:

To be fair its in the Civilopedia. Its worthwhile to read through that thing, there่s a few mechanics or interactions that arent actually explained but otherwise, yeah.