Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

He is speaking about the only "fan" that matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Sono posted:

What about the 1 billion network subscribers in India? That happened, right?

Is that something they claimed? Yikes!

Anyway, 2.8 million watched Crown Jewel 2019 on Pay TV in India. More people are paying to watch WWE in India than watch it for free in America.

The US ain't the center of the world and nobody knows who the gently caress Pat MacAffe is.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

i think WWE's weekly shows get like 40 million viewers in India, there are so many people in that country. also Jinder was only over in India when he faced new guys, when he went up against "legends" like HHH Jinder was booed. As the country continues to develop that market is going to be more valuable than the American market, especially since America is a failed state at this point.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

International audiences are pretty irrelevant until they figure out how to properly monetize them.

Huntman
Apr 22, 2010

Is Otis still money in the bank briefcase™ holder? what's happened with that

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Huntman posted:

Someone who follows WWE more closely can likely confirm but I think his storyline stalled when Mandy was potentially exposed to covid-19 but yes, and most were thinking he feuds with the fiend after braun loses the last match.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

We have been waiting a year for the inevitable blow up of The Elite via Hangman Page and we all know its coming and they build and build and build.

The implosion of the Inner Circle.

Scorpio Sky singles run.

The Exalted One storyline was months.

Huntman
Apr 22, 2010

Spiderdrake posted:

Someone who follows WWE more closely can likely confirm but I think his storyline stalled when Mandy was potentially exposed to covid-19 but yes, and most were thinking he feuds with the fiend after braun loses the last match.

anytime i look at clips or pictures of results I never see him with the briefcase. Would actually kind of rule if the FIEND beat Braun and then Otis successfully cashed it in

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Huntman posted:

anytime i look at clips or pictures of results I never see him with the briefcase. Would actually kind of rule if the FIEND beat Braun and then Otis successfully cashed it in

Nah he still carries it. He was off for a bit like was said because Mandy was quarantined. Right now he and Tucker are fighting Miz and Morrison, so they're probably keeping any cash in for when crowds get back.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Codependent Poster posted:

they're probably keeping any cash in for when crowds get back.

Otis will go down in history as the first holder to let their cash in expire

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Rarity posted:

Due to the circumstances in the world, Otis is allowed to hold the briefcase for two years!

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Rarity posted:

If he still has it when his contract is up he could work a gimmick of going to other promotions and trying to use to cash it in for other titles as one do would with money at a currency exchange

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Aug 9, 2020

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Pylons posted:

International audiences are pretty irrelevant until they figure out how to properly monetize them.

This is the ultimate issue. The international money is a nice bonus for the WWE for sure, but it's not like the film industry where they arguably don't need the US anymore. The WWE still very much needs to appeal to a US audience to survive.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Looks like Kamala died.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/mattfarmer93/status/1292639524317622272

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Aww man.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Huntman posted:

He had the briefcase with him when he and Tucker came out to attack Miz and Morrison this last week

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

A Real Horse posted:

Has Seth ever once showed any amount of introspection? I feel like every single interview with him is him blaming someone/something outside of the company.
Not sure if onscreen stuff should count but he once cut a super-weird promo saying how he heard those fans last night [making GBS threads on his match with heel Dean Ambrose] and so he needed to change or something. He just just kinda trailed off looking ashamed.

R.I.P. :( When I was training I did the Kim-Chee part at a local show one time and he was super chill.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
For most of the roster WWE isn't telling stories at all. Singles wrestlers trade wins and losses via screwy finishes for a few weeks until someone wins at a PPV and then they both do it again with different opponents or maybe one gets banished to Main Event purgatory.

It's infuriating because there is a roster full of workers where you could literally pick any two at random, tell them "we're giving you 20 minutes, put on a killer match" and they could deliver it but they WON'T loving DO IT.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

His final act was causing #RIPKamalaHarris to trend, creating mini panics across politics twitter.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

There's also the fact that WWE love to just drop or dismiss long term storylines in accordance with the whims of a CTE/roid riddled old man

There is also the fact that to have a longterm storyline, or indeed a slow burn where when the fans are literally begging for the match to happen, (Sting in the rafters vs Hogan in WCW), you need to A) be aiming somewhere, and have an endgame in mind, B) make it so that the fans remember what happened 6 months ago that started the two wrestlers on their collision course.

WWE doesn't do A, because "plans change", and it doesn't do B because who can even remember what happened last week, let alone 6 months ago.

Then there is the constant turnover of writers, so lets say one writer starts and is allowed to develop a longterm story/angle. He/She will most likely be fired before it's culmination. And the writer in charge of finishing the story will either not care about it, not understand it, or take it in a different direction. So it gets dropped and forgotten about because, as said, who can remember what happened last week.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

the only constant is baron fuckin' corbin

they have the best overall roster in the world and the guy they choose to push is baron goddamned corbin

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

"today's fans don't have the patience for slow burn storytelling"

*AEW continue advancing and nuancing the slow breakup of the Elite, which has been in progress since early 2018*

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
The history of WWE shows that expecting in long-term plot lines is for idiots. The longest flight line in recent memory was who is the RAA general manager, and then they said “gently caress you, it’s hornswoggle” Despite the GM hating and punishing hornswoggle. Shane had a lockbox that we never saw inside. Kofi Kingston‘s title reign was ended in eight seconds and he never interacted with Brock Lesnar again.
Lana and Bobby Lashley’s wedding was broken up by a lesbian who never interacted with the bride again.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Golden Bee posted:

Lana and Bobby Lashley’s wedding was broken up by a lesbian who never interacted with the bride again.

That's not true. IIRC they had two wrestling matches that Lana won both of while Lashley was winning every match against Rusev on his way out of the company

Then Lashley left his new wife for MVP I guess

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
WWE's "longterm booking" comes in two flavors: a feud does the same match over four to six months, or something that was completely dropped gets brought back up several months later. Build up doesn't exist.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Love to have official merch ready to go for my secret illicit fight club

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Rarity posted:

To be fair it looks like they slapped that together in 5 seconds so

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

forkboy84 posted:

To wrestle which apparently he really misses. He started wrestling at the age of 15, he clearly just misses it.

This erasure of Darren Sproles will not stand.

Seth can gently caress off. I've no problems with a slow build, but the WWE don't get the benefit of the doubt because of *checks notes* 2 decades of dreck.

I mean, the HHH/Angle/Steph love triangle was one of the best slow build they had for ever and then they hosed it up at the end.

Also: RIP Kamala.

Iskanderson
Apr 16, 2009
You know, I've had time to think about it, and I think I might like the Raw Underground stuff by itself, since it's just, like, short impactful exciting matches.

I think the problem they're going to run into is, if it gets popular, is that the rest of the show isn't like that at all! Who's going to want to sit through 18 minutes of wrestling interrupted by one or more commercial breaks in comparison to something that looks cool and is over in ten seconds?

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

To be fair it looks like they slapped that together in 5 seconds so

But let's talk about the t-shirts

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Rarity posted:

oh so it's definitely a fight club knock off

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Lamuella posted:

"today's fans don't have the patience for slow burn storytelling"

*AEW continue advancing and nuancing the slow breakup of the Elite, which has been in progress since early 2018*

And they even got Chili's involved.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Just do 31 RAW underground matches a night.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Golden Bee posted:

27 end in a DQ.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Golden Bee posted:

How many times can Shane say "that's good that's good that's good" in one night?

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

How many times can Shane say "that's good that's good that's good" in one night?

A drinking game should be made of that.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

TV Zombie posted:

A drinking game should be made of that.

Can't be any deadlier than taking a shot everytime Dunn misses a move.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Ganso Bomb posted:

But let's talk about the t-shirts

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Rarity posted:

Road Dogg prefers the gray