Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Slow is smooth. Smooth is fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

DoctaFun posted:

Swinging too dadgum hard. Backswing was fine, but trying to swing too hard on the downswing. As soon as I just went for a smooth downswing I was just piping it again. So I’ve coined a new mantra that I just kept repeating to myself over and over, ‘Smooth is Strong’. Feel fee to use that and send royalties directly to me.

BCRock posted:

Slow is smooth. Smooth is fast.

This may be the hardest thing about golf from a mental standpoint. An 85% 7 iron goes as far as a 105% 8 iron. I heard an interview with a TOUR pro once and I think he said something along the lines of that he never hits a shot at 100% unless it's some incredibly unique situation. Everything falls between like 70 and 90%.

I think Bryson is currently showing us what swinging 100% all the time does, radical inconsistency.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah I'd far rather go easy on the speed and get clean contact than swing out of my shoes. The extra distance isn't gonna be worth it if when I'm deep in the trees.

If you've got wind or are going uphill, just club up and swing easy.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

mattfl posted:

You might wanna check the lofts on your irons.

Your Cobra Speedzone 4i has a loft of 19.5°

Your old JPX 900 4i is 21° so it makes sense you are hitting the Cobra farther :)

What loft did you get the 3i in?

The factory-standard 19.5, adjustable 1.5 degrees in either direction (so, 18 to 21 degrees). Keep in mind, the one-length long irons will have stronger lofts to make up for the shorter length. My Mizuno 4i is a full inch longer, with a 21* loft.

For whatever reason, these irons look really toe-high at address (I got the full set, from 4i to GW — 3i is not available in SpeedZone). I don't know if I'm just not used to looking at them yet or what. I'll take them in to my local shop and check the lie angles. Unless there's a reliable way to check it myself.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
If I try to hit "easy" I hit poorly. My "100% swing" is well under as hard as I can hit the ball, though.

I've become too confident in my 5i. I was playing the 575 yard #9. Hit a nice 275 tee shot, and I'm 230 to the pot bunker in front of the green, 300 to the green. Easy choice, pull the 5i, my 205 yard club and hit it into the bunker on one bounce. My outlier distances on my 5i have become my norm. It's great, mind you, for the ego, but I've been stretching my distances quite a bit lately, and my greens in reg have really suffered. 33% today, and not a good scrambling day, either.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Oh yeah I suppose I could have mentioned the actual round of golf I played...hot & cold, but I'm claiming the lame excuse of playing with new clubs for the first time. My wife, however, scored her first-ever bona-fide par, a 236-yard (ladies' tees) par-4. She's been playing for a year now, but only seriously since this spring. Man that made her whole day.

We were playing with another a couple — friends of ours, and the other lady started golfing a whole four days ago. 18 holes took six hours. Fortunately, the course was mostly empty. We let a few groups play though, but man that was a slog.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Where's a good place to try clubs out relatively cheap? I've been fascinated by the idea of one length irons for the longest time but too afraid to commit to them.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Kirios posted:

Where's a good place to try clubs out relatively cheap? I've been fascinated by the idea of one length irons for the longest time but too afraid to commit to them.

Golf Galaxy or PGA superstore will let you try them for free.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Kirios posted:

Ask your local public clubs if they've got demo sets to try.

I don't think a lot of places are going to have them but yeah i'd just call around.

E: ^^^ or those, yeah

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

torgeaux posted:

If I try to hit "easy" I hit poorly. My "100% swing" is well under as hard as I can hit the ball, though.

This is me also. What I consider my 100% swing is the swing I still feel comfortable using for each club. It’s a smooth transition where I can create lag to load up the shaft and release my wrist to hit consistently. Smooth is fast. On short irons I’ll choke down on the club if I want to take a few yards off. Trying to hit a 7 iron 60% or something rarely ends well. If I can’t club up for whatever reason I’m grabbing my 3h or 4 iron to punch it/bump and run. Practice rounds by myself I always try to hit some bump and run shots even if I don’t have to go practice.

When I’m swinging out of my shoes it’s something I’ll do when I’m messing around on the range or on a long drive hole in a scramble or something. Violent transition and more arm movement to generate even more club head. Good chance of me loving up the release leading to a massive slice/ lost ball.

Snuck in a quick 9 today and had 4 (FOUR!!) one putts. One was even from about 12’. Thanks again guys for the drills/advice. Changing up my practice got me out of that putting slump. Mentally I’m not in a negative headspace every time I have my putter in my hand now. I’m cautiously optimistic!

dangling pointer fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Aug 4, 2020

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I just had a youtube video recommendation pop up where a guy rated golf balls and cited the latest mygolfspy testing, which had a difference of 39 yards between the longest premium/urethane ball (Snell MTB-X) and the shortest premium ball they tested. Does anyone else believe that is possible? I feel like I could pick 20 random urethane balls and similar driver strikes/swings might have a difference of 10-15 yards at most if you hit enough shots to control for wind, bounce, etc. I know the TXG guys have tested just about every ball there is and Matt's swing is the next best thing to a robot and they haven't seen a gap anywhere near that.

Maybe I'm just salty because they rated the TP5 low which is what I've been gaming lately. And they push everybody into the firmer models for extra distance and completely ignore other aspects of the ball flight.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.

Suprfli6 posted:

I just had a youtube video recommendation pop up where a guy rated golf balls and cited the latest mygolfspy testing, which had a difference of 39 yards between the longest premium/urethane ball (Snell MTB-X) and the shortest premium ball they tested. Does anyone else believe that is possible? I feel like I could pick 20 random urethane balls and similar driver strikes/swings might have a difference of 10-15 yards at most if you hit enough shots to control for wind, bounce, etc. I know the TXG guys have tested just about every ball there is and Matt's swing is the next best thing to a robot and they haven't seen a gap anywhere near that.

Maybe I'm just salty because they rated the TP5 low which is what I've been gaming lately. And they push everybody into the firmer models for extra distance and completely ignore other aspects of the ball flight.

MyGolfSpy, for all their talk about being unbiased and doing accurate tests, is definitely biased and doesn't do accurate tests.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Suprfli6 posted:

They did a lovely job with their methodology. One, they tested outdoors. Then, they made conclusions based on how far offline balls were and concluded flaws in manufacturing could be at fault, not swing problems (or, you know, wind variance). They also said, "low compression equals low distance" but had some lower compression balls in their top distances. TXG could not replicate their results, nor can anyone else. I hit my 5i within a couple of yards with: ProV1, TP5, Cut Blue, Cut Grey, Snell MTB, Snell Black, Callaway Chrome.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Kirios posted:

What is the case against them?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Petey posted:

What is the case against them?

Short version: they're a solution in search of a problem. If someone can't hit shorter irons well, having the same shaft length for everything isn't really going to fix matters nearly as much as they want to think.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

DJExile posted:

Short version: they're a solution in search of a problem. If someone can't hit shorter irons well, having the same shaft length for everything isn't really going to fix matters nearly as much as they want to think.

I thought the problem they were trying to address was making it easier to have a repeatable swing by making it possible to stand at a consistent distance, and bend at a consistent height, no matter what iron you were hitting, so you don't have to adjust the angles of your body quite so much?

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

Petey posted:

I thought the problem they were trying to address was making it easier to have a repeatable swing by making it possible to stand at a consistent distance, and bend at a consistent height, no matter what iron you were hitting, so you don't have to adjust the angles of your body quite so much?

That's the selling point for them, but the swing problems you are trying to address won't actually be solved by the clubs, and you likely won't really be all that more consistent because nobody has a super consistent swing without analysis and coaching. A lot of people like them, but so much in golf is placebo, and just feeling good about the equipment is all that really matters.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

DuckHuntDog posted:

so much in golf is placebo

god drat this is true as hell.

rohoku
Jul 9, 2014

Never been in a spot where I felt like the balls made a qualitative difference in my game. I play with Wilson Staff 50 Elites and they're great.

7.5 handicap here.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

rohoku posted:

Never been in a spot where I felt like the balls made a qualitative difference in my game. I play with Wilson Staff 50 Elites and they're great.

7.5 handicap here.

Yes and no, for me. Also about 7.5. I find balls I like the look, sound and feel of. My favorite ball is the Cut Blue, which is around $20 a dozen. But, I don't get them anymore because they last about three holes. Any full wedge leaves strips of cover hanging off, and any sand shot makes them look like they've been sanded. Three holes in, you'll have 1/4 inch strips hanging off three sides of the ball.

But, that said, I love prov1s. Sound, feel, and durable. Buying them used puts them in the not too expensive range.

Played 18 this morning. 5 ball. Guy booked for one, brought 2 and they just sent us out that way. Fortunately, no issue, we played exactly on the 4.5 hour pace and we're on the heels of the group in front. Unfortunately, the add on guy was a ball talker. And ignorant. "Get up, get up!" To a ball going long, or alternatively a ball 30 yards short. His ball, your ball, their ball, every ball.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

torgeaux posted:

Yes and no, for me. Also about 7.5. I find balls I like the look, sound and feel of. My favorite ball is the Cut Blue, which is around $20 a dozen. But, I don't get them anymore because they last about three holes. Any full wedge leaves strips of cover hanging off, and any sand shot makes them look like they've been sanded. Three holes in, you'll have 1/4 inch strips hanging off three sides of the ball.

Any chance they're made by the same factories that make Vice balls? Like, I really like the Vice Tour balls for the bulk prices I pay, but the durability is dogshit.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

rohoku posted:

7.5 handicap here.

I don't know about that. I used to play Srixon Soft Feels, and they were cheap and good, but I kept cutting off little strips of the cover with my irons, and iron approach shots never seemed to check up at all. Driver distance was fine, but I care so much more about my iron play.

I switched over to Srixon Q-Star Tour, and the ball doesn't get dinged up nearly as fast. I've also started getting tons of "Wow!" compliments from strangers on how well my wedge shots land and stop, so that feels nice.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
according to DeChambeau's WITB 2020 "All irons and wedges are at 37.5” length and 66° lie angle

I could see longer wedges being cool to learn on or transition to - if your back is absolutely trashed like mine. I already have them at 35.5" anyway and am 5'11". I would rarely notice the extra 2 inches and then just grip down when needed. The 66° upright thing would be weirder for me as I'm used to -1° flat (61.5 - 64) on all the irons.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Lol Rickie’s going to end up missing the cut by 1 after stubbing a 6 inch putt.

e: wrong thread. Still, it’s funny.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Ok, so me & the missus are shopping for a new home. We’ve narrowed it down to three, all of which are on the same golf course. Two of them literally border a fairway — like, a knee-high brick wall separates the backyard from the rough.

Guess I better learn how to not suck at golf. All the free Pro V1s should help.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Are they 200 yards from the tee, on the right? Invest in a huge rear end net or something if so.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Lincoln posted:

Ok, so me & the missus are shopping for a new home. We’ve narrowed it down to three, all of which are on the same golf course. Two of them literally border a fairway — like, a knee-high brick wall separates the backyard from the rough.

Guess I better learn how to not suck at golf. All the free Pro V1s should help.

Left side or right side of fairway and at what distance from the tee?

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
One is left side, about 50 yards from the most-used teeboxes. This is looking down-range from the backyard:

The other is right side (different hole), but pretty much right at the teeboxes. Only the most severely-toed driver would threaten us, which means I would probably be the only significant threat to my own windows. Maybe extreme mis-hits by guys playing from the tips, but I'm thinking they play from the tips for a reason.

Oh, and the only one that's not adjacent to a hole is the least-expensive, the largest, the newest, the least-shopworn and definitely the most modern. The premium for a view of the course is substantial. Pretty much every house we've looked at that borders one of the two courses is very much in need of updating. I guess the owners figure they don't have to work too hard to sell (they don't), so why bother. They're still building houses off the course, but the number of hole-adjacent properties never gets larger.

Lincoln fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Aug 9, 2020

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
I'm going out on a limb and saying the embargo on the Taylormade iron sets got lifted today.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

What, the dozen new P770 reviews that suddenly came out today was merely coincidental!

(Rick Shiels has a really good review for 'em that you should look at if you haven't done so already)

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
This is golf adjacent but I just picked up this Jones Cooler:
https://www.jonessportsco.com/collections/coolers/products/fc-utility-cooler-black-tarpaulin?variant=31586069086261

With some adjusting, it's able to hang off my Clicgear push cart and can carry a good amount of ice and drinks but the real benefit to me is that it's tall enough to carry bottles of wine. It has inserts to carry 6 bottles at a time or I can throw some ice in it with a couple of bottles and go on a picnic or to the beach. Very handy cooler.

Infomaniac
Jul 3, 2007
Support Cartographers Without Borders
drat, it looked like Morikawa was having such a fun time out there on the home stretch, with everything on the line, no less. He's going to win so many drat tournaments like that, and it will be so fun watching him.

I finally ordered a net, baffle, and corner pieces to build a conduit practice cage for the backyard, looking forward to losing all my excuses for poor ball striking. Fricking golf.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
I have a net and I use it every once in a while but the problem I have with it is that you can’t actually tell how your balls are traveling. If you have a problem hitting thin, fat, or shanks it’ll probably help but if your issue is a ball flight that you’re wanting to change it’s not as effective.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah nets are definitely better than nothing, but I'd mostly use them to just try to stay in rhythm.

Some foam balls can supposedly mimic flight and just go a ton shorter but I don't know how good those are at it.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Net plus some cheap sensor. There are some cheap is that aren't bad.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I use a net plus a Garmin Approach G80, which is basically a launch monitor. It's fantastic practice for something that you can do in your backyard.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Kirios posted:

I use a net plus a Garmin Approach G80, which is basically a launch monitor. It's fantastic practice for something that you can do in your backyard.

Oh hot drat I didn't know that was a thing :stare:

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

It also does excellent GPS tracking and score keeping on the course as well. Battery life is excellent as well - I've gotten 4 18 hole rounds with it before needing a charge. Best thing I've ever purchased that's golf related.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Kirios posted:

It also does excellent GPS tracking and score keeping on the course as well. Battery life is excellent as well - I've gotten 4 18 hole rounds with it before needing a charge. Best thing I've ever purchased that's golf related.

Do I need the club attachment ditty for anything or can that sense the swing itself? Because that is proper tempting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

DJExile posted:

Do I need the club attachment ditty for anything or can that sense the swing itself? Because that is proper tempting.

You'd buy the TruSwing separately, but yeah, it integrates with it for swing analysis. I personally haven't used that part of it yet though.