Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Here's what you still have to do-

-More on Dark Bramble
-Tower of Quantum Knowledge (you were close)
-Eye Shrine on Ember Twin
-Interloper core (you were almost there)
-Getting to the core of Giant's Deep (you were also close with this)
-The Nomai Mines (Nomines) on Timber Hearth
-The Quantum Caves on Ember Twin
-Getting to the Ash Twin Project on Ash Twin
-Finishing what is on the Quantum Moon (this is not an endgame place, just FYI, but the information there is something you may not be able to get to until you know all of the Quantum rules the game is trying to teach you)

You don't need to worry about hitting the Endgame, you basically have to explore more areas in the game before you can get an idea of how you get to the endgame, it's not something you can really just stumble on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Right, I'm now annoyed that I never saw that stuff on lava moon. I even looked around on purpose!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It’s not easy to find, especially since that moon has an irregular rotation

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Nothing says quality like a black eye and a moustache.
Fun Shoe
Part 12 is up now! And may I just say FINALLY WITH THAT PLACE. Also, thanks to everyone offering help in the comments. We've taken a lot of advice to heart, even if it only happens in a later episode.

FlamingLiberal posted:

It’s not easy to find, especially since that moon has an irregular rotation

Yeah, I was really happy that we spotted that, because it would have been super easy to have missed.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Happy birthweek Amy!

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Hey, you got to the place! (And then didn't get there, but you'll get there!)

Just shotgunned this game last weekend because somebody else was playiong it. It is easily in my top five ever, and believe it or not, you have been playing it as you should. It is the game for farting around (and then finding out).

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
God that cave is a motherfucker and a half right? The path through that first bit is so difficult to find because it's positioned in a way that you basically won't see unless you're looking carefully and moving slowly and isn't even I think visible unless you're facing directly away from the destination, and all those rocks basically look the same anyway. It probably actually does get a bit easier when the floor is covered in sand, since the contrast will show the paths a little clearer. I think the developers intended the area design to try and bring about a lot of just-in-time solutions. I think they did this a little too well.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

There's a blink and you'll miss it moment at 21:01 in that video - sometimes quantum can be a little spooky.

As for navigating the cave, are the stalacgtmites quantum? That would explain the difficulty navigating, since they rarely went back to check dead ends again.

This game has so much stuff to find and really good signposting (sometimes literally) for a lot of it.

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008
The ones in the part after the sandriver are quantum (well, most of them, I think some always block certain paths), the ones beforehand are not. The path is just placed such that it's extremely easy to miss.

Burzmali
Oct 22, 2013

Zandar posted:

The ones in the part after the sandriver are quantum (well, most of them, I think some always block certain paths), the ones beforehand are not. The path is just placed such that it's extremely easy to miss.

I think the path you need to follow is roughly an "S". You go in thinking that it is just branching paths forward and you end up having to reverse direction twice to clear the maze.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 13 is up now! Get ready for some story advancement, my friends! Also, we apologize for the day-late upload, we were without power in our entire house for over 31 hours.

And yes, that cave was really, really frustrating. I thought for sure that we were done for again, I think we just got insanely lucky at the end there. I definitely think it resembles an "S" shape, but I have no idea how we got to where we did in that moment, I'm still stumped. I'm not complaining, mind you, but I'm still stumped.

pedrovay2003 fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Aug 13, 2020

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

pedrovay2003 posted:

Part 13 is up now! Get ready for some story advancement, my friends! Also, we apologize for the day-late upload, we were without power in our entire house for over 31 hours.

And yes, that cave was really, really frustrating. I thought for sure that we were done for again, I think we just got insanely lucky at the end there. I definitely think it resembles an "S" shape, but I have no idea how we got to where we did in that moment, I'm still stumped. I'm not complaining, mind you, but I'm still stumped.

The way the cave is laid out at that point, the player comes to a two way fork, and path 1 leads to a dead end. The left path comes to another apparent two way fork, but just out of field of view on the right is the correct path, 4. But since the player doesn't see that right away, they try path 2, it's a dead end, try path 3, it's a dead end. So they turn around to backtrack, see path 4, and think "OK, that's the path from the previous fork, I know that's a dead end", then go back further, walk into actual path 1 and hit a dead end.

Then die.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Die really awfully too... for a game that technically isn't horror, they ticked a lot of boxes that are discomforting.

Also, I kind of unironically love it when the ship ends up like that in my playthroughs. It'sd like a game- "where is my ship now?"

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

I never tried jumping down from the jellyfish. Weird that it took you out of the bramble. I wonder if you could get in from there. I might have to try.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

My guess is that part of the Jellyfish in the ice walking from Feldspars ship is the core in Giants Deep.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

resurgam40 posted:

Die really awfully too... for a game that technically isn't horror, they ticked a lot of boxes that are discomforting.

There's the planet where you can get crushed by sand, the planet where the slightest misstep will send you into a black hole (albeit a less lethal than usual one), the planet where you will occasionally be sent into space from ground level by tornadoes (also less lethal than usual), and pretty much everything about dark bramble. Plus air and the existential threat to your species. Oh, and that leap on the sun station. Definitely a lot of horror elements.

At least Ash Twin seems pretty safe (if you avoid the giant sand siphon). And Timber Hearth is lovely, though I died from fall damage there a surprising number of times, including during the tutorial. The Hearthians at least mostly have railings, while the Nomai just kind of expected you to walk around on the ceiling where jumping too high will make gravity remember you exist.

Burzmali
Oct 22, 2013

Qrr posted:

There's the planet where you can get crushed by sand, the planet where the slightest misstep will send you into a black hole (albeit a less lethal than usual one), the planet where you will occasionally be sent into space from ground level by tornadoes (also less lethal than usual), and pretty much everything about dark bramble. Plus air and the existential threat to your species. Oh, and that leap on the sun station. Definitely a lot of horror elements.

At least Ash Twin seems pretty safe (if you avoid the giant sand siphon). And Timber Hearth is lovely, though I died from fall damage there a surprising number of times, including during the tutorial. The Hearthians at least mostly have railings, while the Nomai just kind of expected you to walk around on the ceiling where jumping too high will make gravity remember you exist.

A lot of that is more suspense than horror. Aside from the star exploding, there really isn't any time where you are set on a task that is "complete it or die", the closest is the cave we've been discussing. Honestly, it's probably for the best, I think the game is better without jump scares and with some of the most existential threats being borrowed from The Little Prince. Were the game a book, the made decisions to keep it in the fiction section instead of relegating it to genre fiction.

Burzmali fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Aug 14, 2020

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The Quantum Cave is a bastard but once you realize what the deal is, it’s not that bad

I think technically you don’t even have to go in that way if you find the cave shard in one of the other caves

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Well, I mean, you could quantum teleport into the quantum cave, but that would require you to already know or luck into the thing that you learn in the quantum cave, so...

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 14 is up now! I'm still a bit angry about this one, because OBS decided to just not work the first time we recorded, and it didn't tell me at all, so we had to redo everything for this video. I think it turned out fine, but I love getting initial reactions, so missing out on that is kind of a bummer.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Was there any important information in Solanums shuttle? You kinda ran off and left that hanging before trying to figure out dark bramble.

Also, I think bthe point is to find that one seed with all of the nomai corpses and shoot a probe into it to find the duplicate signal, like you did to find Feldspar.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Shame about the lost footage, meeting Solanum is one of the highlights of the game I think! But still a fun watch all the same. Regarding Solanum, you've previously visited her childhood home in the Sunless City and her home as an adult in the Hanging City. It's one of the nicest touches about the game, how you can effectively follow the lives of some of the Nomai from childhood to being adults.

Since you're looking things up, you've technically "learned" all the information you need to complete Dark Bramble, so remember: anglerfish are blind.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

I was so excited when I met Schrodinger's Nomai - I did it a little accidentally, since I didn't know about the north pole thing but I knew about the rest and just kind of went to variations til it worked. It's a heck of a thing after reading so much about them and seeing so many bodies. It makes me wish this game had more ability to talk to people - you can tell someone about it and that's cool, but really it should be interesting to a whole lot of different Hearthians. And Solanum should actually be able to ask you questions but I suppose working that out from one-sided understanding would take a bit more than 22 minutes.

And that sure is a lot of probes launched.

Also, it doesn't let you select planets to pilot to while you're not, y'know, piloting. I think the only actual glitch you've run into is the translation one. And the ones with OBS, but that's hardly the fault of Outer Wilds.

Qrr fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Aug 15, 2020

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Man, what an episode to lose the blind reactions to.

I love the whole chat with Solanum, not even specifically because of any of the things you learn from her but just because what else could possibly be in any way a fitting reward for a game-spanning optional quest in a puzzle game than a whole bunch of exposition (see also: the secret videos in The Witness)?

I also love the retrospective character arc she has going on. The game's telling of the Nomai's story needed a character like her. The Nomai's quest to find the Eye of the Universe inspired an almost spiritual following among her ancestors, but as must be somewhat inevitable for children of a species who placed such a great value on curiosity and scientific explanation, she began to question what must have seemed to her like a dogmatic prevailing belief in the significance of it all. Her serene stoicism regarding the possible futility of this quest is a valuable thematic counterbalance to the audacity and fervour of Poke, Pye, Idaea, Ramie, Mallow, Cassava and the rest who dreamed up and built the Sun Station and the Ash Twin Project in their pursuit. At the risk of invoking something from The Witness a second time in this one post, it's all very Richard Feynman, appropriately enough a physicist himself neck deep in quantum bullshit; "If it turns out there is a simple ultimate law that explains everything, so be it, that would be very nice to discover. If it turns out it's like an onion with millions of layers, and we're just sick and tired of looking at the layers, then that's the way it is, but whatever way it comes out, it's nature, it's there, and she's gonna come out the way she is, and therefore when we go to investigate we shouldn't pre-decide what we're going to do except to find out more about it. If you said your problem is, why do you find out more about it, if you thought you were trying to find out more about it because you're going to get an answer to some deep philosophical question, you may be wrong... My interest in science is simply to find out more about the world, and the more I find out the better it is." (this is from a BBC Horizon episode called The Pleasure Of Finding Things Out after a book of the same name published by Feynman. Here's a mirror of it on DailyMotion, that bit is in the clip starting 44:50) Solanum's not of course here to either unmask the whole Eye quest as a sham or to herself be shown up for having doubted it, she's just here to show us what all this might have meant to entire future generations who weren't around for the beginning of it, how the culture that grew around it was so compelling that even in their embrace of curiosity and doubt their children were still drawn to it, still found meaning in it, enough to turn the Quantum Moon into a rite of passage. For all she knows, the quest still is futile... after all, hundreds of thousands of years later it still hasn't been found, and she can't have guessed that after all this time the Ash Twin Project has finally come to life. But she's okay with that. She knows why they tried anyway.

I severely dislike Dark Bramble because of the specific constraints around anglerfish evasion; there is an element to the difficulty of it which is largely artificial and completely needless and screams for a somewhat more discrete in-game solution. I'm not wholly sure how it could be optimally done but it's one of the very few cases in this game where a problem is born of interactions between game systems which are themselves fine but turn out to jar when taken together.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
So it turns out, I, uh, managed to beat the game without ever realizing you could pass time in it, which made the Quantum Tower a massive exercise in frustration (especially on the first try where I waited for at with my ship at the white hole, got turned around in space and never found the goddamn thing before the sun exploded).

Fedule posted:

I severely dislike Dark Bramble because of the specific constraints around anglerfish evasion; there is an element to the difficulty of it which is largely artificial and completely needless and screams for a somewhat more discrete in-game solution. I'm not wholly sure how it could be optimally done but it's one of the very few cases in this game where a problem is born of interactions between game systems which are themselves fine but turn out to jar when taken together.

Regarding anglerfish evasion, that's one of the very few things I really dislike about this game, and it is related to controls (spoilers just to be sure, I'm not sure if you figured the method yet even if you have the hints): it turns out that if you're playing on a keyboard, you cannot regulate thrust speed and it is always set to maximum. There is absolutely no reason for this, it forces you to play a first-person game on a controller and you won't know about it until you're very late in the game. Thankfully there's a mod now that does the evasion for you but that doesn't change the fact it's a mindbogglingly stupid decision.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Aug 15, 2020

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

anilEhilated posted:

Regarding anglerfish evasion, that's one of the very few things I really dislike about this game, and it is related to controls (spoilers just to be sure, I'm not sure if you figured the method yet even if you have the hints): it turns out that if you're playing on a keyboard, you cannot regulate thrust speed and it is always set to maximum. There is absolutely no reason for this, it forces you to play a first-person game on a controller and you won't know about it until you're very late in the game. Thankfully there's a mod now that does the evasion for you but that doesn't change the fact it's a mindbogglingly stupid decision.

You don't need to be able to regulate thrust speed in order to get past the anglerfish, though. When you enter a portal in dark bramble, the game sets your speed to a low, but non-zero value. When you enter the red portal, all you need to do is be patient, inertia will carry you straight past the fish. Once you've drifted to the centre of the red area, you can head to the next portal at full speed without alerting the fish

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

The first time I got past the anglerfish by simply hugging the wall in my suit until I got close enough to thorn growths in which the anglerfish kept getting stuck and I could race for the next destination.

Having a roaring anglerfish right on top of you all the time was quite intense.

Burzmali
Oct 22, 2013

Fedule posted:

It's the part of the game where twitch gaming is most rewarded over careful play. Too bad they didn't come up with a way for you to use the probe to distract the anglerfish, that would have made it more puzzle oriented and fit in better with the rest of the game, in my opinion at least.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Burzmali posted:

It's the part of the game where twitch gaming is most rewarded over careful play. Too bad they didn't come up with a way for you to use the probe to distract the anglerfish, that would have made it more puzzle oriented and fit in better with the rest of the game, in my opinion at least.

Oh, using the probe as a distraction would have been great, I hadn't even thought of that (I know you can't, but it's still a great idea).

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Dark Bramble is a rough part of this game

The rest of the planets are much more forgiving but the anglerfish are such a huge pain and require constant attention

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

HiHo ChiRho posted:

Was there any important information in Solanums shuttle? You kinda ran off and left that hanging before trying to figure out dark bramble.

Also, I think bthe point is to find that one seed with all of the nomai corpses and shoot a probe into it to find the duplicate signal, like you did to find Feldspar.
They had found Solanum's shuttle previously after pulling it off the Quantum Moon with one of the gravity cannons. The only thing on there is a log which they did read.

and yes remember that the Escape Pod survivors were searching for the Vessel's signal and found something that duplicated the signal, but you can still use that to help you get to the vessel.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 15 is up now! The sun is a tricky bastard.

Burzmali
Oct 22, 2013

pedrovay2003 posted:

Part 15 is up now! The sun is a tricky bastard.

In general, Outer Wilds is relatively bug and glitch free at this point. Aside from the reading issue, which could have been hardware related or the game being overly picky about positioning from some translations, everything you've run across has been "working as intended". You commented of the mechanic you need to use to find your next destination near where you need to apply it, but you passed it off as weird behavior on the game's behalf.

Also, on your current trajectory, you are likely to miss an optional area that fleshes out some of the lore on some of the characters. It's nothing critical, but it has been mentioned by many of the translated texts, specifically, it's the black hole forge on Brittle Hollow. Let us know if you want some pointers.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Have you thought about streaming on Twitch while filming the LP? That way if you lose the footage you will still have the VOD. I know some YouTubers do that.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
The Vessel can be tricky to find. You should check your computer, see if there's any leads to how you might find it. Remember that the computer (and the map) are not the only ways to mark things.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I've just found this Let's Play and have watched the first few episodes and want to say 'good job'! I'm really enjoying it so far and loving both of you slowly come to realisations and work out what's going on. The wonder and joy in your voices as a piece falls into place is amazing.
Also that was a sick jump in Brittle Hollow to get to the observatory, I was never brave enough to attempt that!

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Helith posted:

I've just found this Let's Play and have watched the first few episodes and want to say 'good job'! I'm really enjoying it so far and loving both of you slowly come to realisations and work out what's going on. The wonder and joy in your voices as a piece falls into place is amazing.
Also that was a sick jump in Brittle Hollow to get to the observatory, I was never brave enough to attempt that!

Aw, I really appreciate the kind words. :-D Yeah, this game constantly surprised us with what it revealed, they did a fantastic job of letting the player learn on their own. It's a great feeling.

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

Have you thought about streaming on Twitch while filming the LP? That way if you lose the footage you will still have the VOD. I know some YouTubers do that.

I'll have to look into that, thanks for the tip. I don't have much streaming experience at all, but if it can save a recording, then it may be worth doing.

Burzmali posted:

In general, Outer Wilds is relatively bug and glitch free at this point. Aside from the reading issue, which could have been hardware related or the game being overly picky about positioning from some translations, everything you've run across has been "working as intended". You commented of the mechanic you need to use to find your next destination near where you need to apply it, but you passed it off as weird behavior on the game's behalf.

Yeah, it's been hard for me to determine what's supposed to happen and what isn't. That thing with the sun really threw me, since it seemed like if I was just a pixel too far away, the entire thing would just disappear; I was trying to outrun the explosion (which I know you can do), and I'm still not sure if being so far out that I couldn't even see the sun at the time of the explosion would have registered, or if I needed to actually see the explosion happen. It really looked like something had broken to me.

Burzmali
Oct 22, 2013

pedrovay2003 posted:

Yeah, it's been hard for me to determine what's supposed to happen and what isn't. That thing with the sun really threw me, since it seemed like if I was just a pixel too far away, the entire thing would just disappear; I was trying to outrun the explosion (which I know you can do), and I'm still not sure if being so far out that I couldn't even see the sun at the time of the explosion would have registered, or if I needed to actually see the explosion happen. It really looked like something had broken to me.
I'm guessing that was just the draw distance kicking in. While advanced, Outer Wilds isn't quite Kerbal when it comes to star system rendering.

legioN7
Jul 13, 2016
There is an Easter Egg involving the Ash Twin Project that grants access to a unique conversation you can't get otherwise, and you are very unlikely to encounter it.
I can give a hint as to how to do it, but not what happens, if you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

you might want to check the journal to see where there is still more to explore.