Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

mycelia posted:

I know a Komaeda when I see one.
:five:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

The lack of response to Mishima is noticeable, but I'm really interested in why he has an issue with the deep pull of Meister. He has no problems saying outright who all the other names he's rejecting are referencing, even to the point of recognizing both Rio Laizer and Rio Ranger, despite what I took as the implication that that was a "secret" that Safalin was breaking the rules to reveal. That would suggest that whichever player or game master was doing that voice is someone he doesn't want to admit was doing it - either a player in deep cover he doesn't want to reveal (unlikely, the only real option this could be is Alice, and that doesn't seem to make any sense), or someone involved in running the game we haven't seen yet. Given the endings to Your Time to Shine, I wonder if we're going to find out this entire thing is Sara competing against herself (which one is the doll is of course anyone's guess).

Also considering Your Time to Shine, I wonder if he has any response to Jin, Touko, or Rei (voting for the last one if he does allow it).

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Can I raise the comedy option of Fuckface, in proud Pokemon tradition? No, it's not serious, I don't want to ruin the game. It deserves better. But someone had to say it!

(But is there a profanity filter on the name input?)

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Okay, how about we go a bit crazy and call him Shin?

Doobeedoo
Oct 6, 2013

Trees and plants tend to grow on this Pokemon's back because it moves so little. It loves eating food while playing with tiny Pokemon.

Nick Buntline posted:

The lack of response to Mishima is noticeable, but I'm really interested in why he has an issue with the deep pull of Meister. He has no problems saying outright who all the other names he's rejecting are referencing, even to the point of recognizing both Rio Laizer and Rio Ranger, despite what I took as the implication that that was a "secret" that Safalin was breaking the rules to reveal. That would suggest that whichever player or game master was doing that voice is someone he doesn't want to admit was doing it - either a player in deep cover he doesn't want to reveal (unlikely, the only real option this could be is Alice, and that doesn't seem to make any sense), or someone involved in running the game we haven't seen yet. Given the endings to Your Time to Shine, I wonder if we're going to find out this entire thing is Sara competing against herself (which one is the doll is of course anyone's guess).

Also considering Your Time to Shine, I wonder if he has any response to Jin, Touko, or Rei (voting for the last one if he does allow it).

The link was to an earlier post. Remember the very first death game, with Sara, a gun, dummies, and dummy bullets? The Russian Roulette one?
The person giving them directions told the people participating to call them Meister.

I assumed it was Miley, but nah. Guess it was Sou.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Okay, how about we go a bit crazy and call him Shin?

That works, if Shin is Sou, then Sou is Shin.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
I'm tossing in a vote for Shin as well.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Onmi posted:

That works, if Shin is Sou, then Sou is Shin.

Rio Ranger would be proud.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

mycelia posted:

Shin is kind of tempting but this is hilarious so I'll vote for it.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

LiefKatano posted:

I'm tossing in a vote for Shin as well.

I'll vote for this too.

That reaction to Meister...

blakelmenakle
Sep 1, 2007
AHEM! There's sand on my boots!

mycelia posted:

Gotta go with this.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

Doobeedoo posted:

The link was to an earlier post. Remember the very first death game, with Sara, a gun, dummies, and dummy bullets? The Russian Roulette one?
The person giving them directions told the people participating to call them Meister.

I assumed it was Miley, but nah. Guess it was Sou.

Yeah I know, that's my point. If it was Miley, there doesn't seem to be any reason for him to not say that here - he has no trouble rejecting every other floor master's name for the reason of it being taken by a floor master, and she's the obvious assumption. And if was Sou - well, A) it's not Sou, he's completely proven he's not on the GM's side at this point as far as I'm concerned, but B) the entire context for this conversation is him being unwilling to use a name Sou had taken for himself and C) Sou is dead, so even if he was a plant he isn't now. Why would he hold back?

There's some reason he can't say why he can't let us call him "Meister", and the thing that makes the most sense is that the person doing that voice was someone we've not met/aren't supposed to know exists yet.

Doobeedoo
Oct 6, 2013

Trees and plants tend to grow on this Pokemon's back because it moves so little. It loves eating food while playing with tiny Pokemon.

Nick Buntline posted:

And if was Sou - well, A) it's not Sou, he's completely proven he's not on the GM's side at this point as far as I'm concerned, but B) the entire context for this conversation is him being unwilling to use a name Sou had taken for himself and C) Sou is dead, so even if he was a plant he isn't now. Why would he hold back?

Sou, not Shin. It obviously isn't Shin, I'm saying it's Sou. You know, the guy in front of us, looking surprised and somewhat murderous at that coming out of nowhere.

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

Doobeedoo posted:

Sou, not Shin. It obviously isn't Shin, I'm saying it's Sou. You know, the guy in front of us, looking surprised and somewhat murderous at that coming out of nowhere.

Interestingly, Sou (Shin-Sou, that is) got separated from the group right before Meister showed up. Coincidence, or a deliberate attempt to keep out the guy who had the closest connection to real-Sou so that he wouldn't be recognized by his voice? :raise:

I do think it's more likely that Meister is someone we haven't met yet, though. Maybe the person ultimately behind this repeat of the Hades Incident, just going off of the name "Meister."

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Please, if we name this guy Shin I'm going to get so confused about Sou-Shin and Shin-Sou.

I'm voting for Midori, because I like green.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Also, if this Sou Hiyori is who our Sou Hiyori based his personality off, he must be a real fucker.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
I'd like to know if Shin's possible, but Komaeda is definitely the best choice, for obvious reasons.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
Man, those affection events were great. There's some very charming writing in this game.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.
Is there no response for Kanna's sister's name?

Definitely strange that Mishima gets no responses though.

Gotta throw in a vote for Midori.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

mycelia posted:

I can't not vote for this.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Onmi posted:

Also, if this Sou Hiyori is who our Sou Hiyori based his personality off, he must be a real fucker.

I always thought the Sou we've had around was basically using his own personality but someone else's name. Hence his whole distrustful grifter deal.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

professor metis posted:

Please, if we name this guy Shin I'm going to get so confused about Sou-Shin and Shin-Sou.

I'm voting for Midori, because I like green.

Ok, so, Shin was Sou but was really Shin using the identity of Sou, while Sou gave his identity to Shin and is now no longer Sou, but we can still make him Shin in honour of Sou.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I’m really impressed with the game for making the Alice/Reko and Sou/Kanna choices matter in the dialogue.

Komaeda is too funny :allears:

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

I'll call it here with Komaeda.

Sou will accept Shin, Kugie, Jin, Touko, Rei or any name with profanity.

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

Lord_Magmar posted:

I always thought the Sou we've had around was basically using his own personality but someone else's name. Hence his whole distrustful grifter deal.

His proactive "tricking people to get ahead and trusting nobody is the obvious and natural thing to do" attitude partially formed under the pressure of his predicted 0% survival rate, I think. Going off of YTTS, he seems to think of himself as a "failure" to some degree even before then and tends to lie to cover up what he perceives as personal failings. But he cares about Kanna more than his own survival in the end, and the way he talks about her like she's just a useful pawn is clearly another self-protective lie. I think Shin, who prioritizes self-protection but wants companionship underneath it all, would be a bit more inclined to trust the good intentions of others if he didn't know that he has absolutely zero chance of survival in this game.

It's plausible that Shin would try to model someone else's behavior if he felt he needed to change himself, especially someone he thought was more competent than him. However, we don't have any evidence that that's how he perceives real-Sou, besides the evidence of some kind of strong attachment to him (adopting his name through memory loss, wearing an identical scarf, etc.). We'll have to find out more about the real Sou Hiyori to make an educated guess, I think.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Him spitefully activating an evil Joe AI also is in line with him actually being an alright guy. If he really was the sociopathic rear end in a top hat he tried to be, he would’ve used that to get Sara on side, rather than to hurt her for killing Kanna.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Shin comes across as his own worst enemy. The stat sheet made him paranoid as gently caress and he couldn't deal with it. If he hadn't seen that he'd have probably had a very different attitude.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Mindblast posted:

Shin comes across as his own worst enemy. The stat sheet made him paranoid as gently caress and he couldn't deal with it. If he hadn't seen that he'd have probably had a very different attitude.

Wonder if our game master figured that out. Was that flashback to Sara trying to save him a simulation where they were too successful, so they had to find a way to neutralise Shin by playing off his insecurities?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Aww, I wish I’d known it accepted profanity, I would’ve put forward something awful and immature like Turdhat or Smell E. Butz.

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

“So? What're you going to make us do this time...?”

“Ahaha, you just can’t wait, can you?”

“Relax! It's a very simple bonus game!”

“Wha...?!”

“You can use any method! Shooting, stabbing, striking, strangling, anything goes!”

“It should be a piece of cake for you guys who've killed a bunch of people, albeit indirectly!”

“Who exactly do we...?”

“Alright, already. Just move it along.”

“Serious, huh? I'd say that's a good thing.”

(I can't let myself get caught up in his tricks...)

“Huh...?!”

Ahaha, no, no, I won't say it twice!”

“We have to... kill that person...?”

“Bwahah... You alright? Now might've been our best chance, y'know?”

“Like hell! Who could just up and do that after havin' it sprung on 'em?!”

“Hm? There's still more info...?”

“That's right! He said it was too much bother, and so we should give the explanations!”

“Seems like we should ask them for details, Sara.”

“Okay…”

Talk to Hinako.

“...Hey there, Sara-senpai.”

“Senpai...?”

“You can call me what you like, Hinako.”

“Oh yeah, I'll tell you a piece of info.”

(Kanna's sister... and Megumi Sasahara, I suppose.)

“I have another big piece of info… But I can't say it yet.”

“Eh...?”

“Haha... If you just reveal your entire hand… You'll get used as a pawn, right?”

“Nobody likes being used...”

“I want us to be friends, Hinako.”

“Oh, neat. Are we going on a date?”

“Don't tease me.”

“It might take a little more time to hit "friendly." ...I'm shy, you see.”

Talk to Anzu.

“Y... Yeah.”

“Oh! Let's be friends! We're about the same age, right?”

“...Urk! You're judging my outfit, aren't you?! You think I'm... weird!”

“I'm not thinking that at all. Really.”

“O... Oh?”

“Yeah, in fact, I like those clothes. They suit you.”

“E... Ehehe. Even if it's flattery, I'm sorta glad. Since I made these myself…”

(What a scary mask…)

“So no reason to be creeped out! Really!”

"S... Sure... Anyway, do you have information...?”

“Of course! Err, let's see…”

“…”

“C-Could I have you ask someone else?”

(Ngh... Did she forget...?)

Talk to Hayasaka.

“You know something, don't you?”

“I-I don't understand your implication…”

“Don't play dumb. I mean about this Death Game.”

“You saw my victim video, did you...?”

“...”

“...Is that so?”

“I-I'm glad you understand. Well, if that'll be all...”

(He's utterly suspicious...)

Talk to Ranmaru.

“Of course. We're probably about the same grade...”

“You sure? You aren't gonna come to me later saying you were actually my senior?”

(I don't think this is the time to be worried about junior-senior relations…)

“More importantly, do you have any info?”

“I do.”

“What the...?!”

“Well... actually, that's only for us supports. Your collar won't activate, Sara.”

“So only your collar would...?”

“S-So don't get too far from me, okay? Let's put our differences aside…”

“...Got it.”

Talk to Mai.

“Not really a chat. I just need your info…”

“Oh, like my measurements?”

“N-No, I mean regarding the Death Game...!”

“If you tell me what your type is, then I'll tell you what I know!”

“Err, I guess I'd have to say... Kind people?”

I totally get that! People who treat you nice are the best in the end!”

“Y-Yeah.”

(...!)

“Ah... Sorry if I upset you! Right, you wanted to hear my info!”

“Well, it's about us…”

“...Our real selves died in the First Trial.”

“..........”

“...!”

“Let's be honest... It's unforgivable. That they would do that to us...”

“So... I want to give my all, too… And I want your aid as well, Sara. Please.”

“O... Okay…”

“Thank yooou, Sara! We're not a pair, but let's do our best!”

Talk to Kurumada.

“Is something funny, Mr. Kurumada?”

“Sure is. You're just a plain ol' high schooler.”

“Way to survive, am I right? Straight-up amazin'.”

“It's thanks to my allies. We all help each other...”

“Allies, huh?”

“Yes.”

“…”

“Well, alright then. Guess that was the right call after all if you're still alive.”

“Monsters?”

“Probably just dolls, really, but it'll spell tragedy if we don't get weapons. You ever been in a fight?”

“No, if someone else is going to fight for their life, I'm going to fight for my life too.”

“…”

“ I see, I see. You're real interestin'.”

Music stops.

“...! What's that sound...?”

“...Aw, crap. Looks like they're here early...”

“...?”

“A monster's come to attack.”

“Meowww?! That's absurd, thug gorilla! We can't fight against something like this, woof!”

“True... I can't imagine we can do much taking it on fair and square.”

“If we discuss it... We might jus' figure out a weakness!”

“Understood...!”

(There must be some way to repel it...!)

“Ahem... Sara-senpai? We don't have the all important weapon... You know that, right?”

“S-Sorry...!”

“Hmph... Narrowing down your targets?”

“Is it electrified...?!”

“Yeah...! Seems to be the red parts! Can't touch the shoulders or arms bare-handed!!”

“In other words... The armour isn't electrified!”

“Yep, you got it! drat... Wish I'd noticed before I did that!”

“Q-taro, please! We need your strength!”

“Awright, I got it! Leave it to me!!”

“Eeeee! How cooooool!!”

“Yer bummin' me out! Take this more serious, wouldja?!”

• The monster is electrified and even Q-taro couldn't hurt it. As Gin said, this isn't something that can be fought against.

“Eek?! What?! You're creepy!!”

Sara grabbed at the monster.

“N-No good! It's too strong... It'll just throw me off!”

“Please! Hang onnn...!!”

The monster broke out of the hold!

“H-Hey!! Let me out!!”

Music stops.

“Hold on! What're you...?!”

“W... Wait!! Let me ouuut!!”

The monster stood up and walked into the darkness.

“Mya...? It won't attack anymore, woof...?”

“It went off in the same direction as Komaeda...”

“Gah...! What happened to her?!”

• Anzu is killed if the monster isn't defeated after nine turns, though it is possible to stagger the monster to get an extra turn. Taking a more pro-active approach...

• Find out that the monster is part electrified; this can be done by either having Keiji observe or Q-taro or Kurumada attack.

“Those red areas of its body are making a crackling sound...”

“Seems they're electrified or something. It's be dangerous to touch.”

“The purple skeletal parts are some kind of armour. Probably okay to touch those....”

“...Might have to find a weapon or destroy the armour to deal with this one."

• Optional - Have Hayasaka search to find a shovel.

“We're in luck... I found a long shovel in the darkness.”

Obtained a long shovel.

“...Sure seems like they put it there on purpose.”

“So what? Let's be grateful and use it...”

• Attack the monster twice to remove its' armour. This can be done with Q-taro and Kurumada (and Hinako if you have the shovel).

“Hahah...! Knocked off that ugly helmet.”

“Hit it square in the jaw! Yer one terrifyin' thug...!”

“Awright! Destroyed that armour what was protecting its body!”

“Not bad at all, pro-wrestling old-timer.”

“I'mma baseball-playin' young-timer!! Now think up our next plan already!”

“Might be our chance...”

• Have Gin search.

“There's a flaming stick on the wall, meow!”

(A wall torch...?!)

Obtained a flaming stick.

“Hmm... Not sure about using it as a weapon. But maybe you could burn it if you got close enough and found a good opportunity?”

• Stagger the monster - this can be done with Q-taro, Ranmaru and, if you're running low on time, Sara after Anzu pleads for help.

The monster lost its balance and fell over.

“Whoa! It actually worked out?!”

“Hah! Don't be startled by somethin' you did yourself.”

“S-Shaddup... What matters is I was useful, right?”

The monster is defencelessly trying to get up.

• While the monster is staggered, have Kanna/Sou or Hinako burn them with the torch.

“You can see under the bandages now, meow!”

“I'm curious about the red thing on its chest...”

• Finish the monster with Kurumada, or if you have the shovel, Alice/Reko or Hinako.

Music stops.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Well, this is a gameplay change I didn't see coming. Interesting.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
We've gone from a somewhat grounded Saw-esque killing game to fighting off electrified mummies with doppelganger robots, and it actually feels like a natural progression. It's a testament to the game's writing

If Sou is alive is he the one we have to hunt? And then maybe we get Kanna's sister as a doll?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Surprise, YTTS was just one long tutorial for the new mechanic!

Falconer
Dec 7, 2003

Did you know, I was THE MOON once!

Yes! You see, one night it turned out the moon had been STOLEN!

The animal people asked ME to take its place as I am so WISE and BRILLIANT!!

WarpDogs posted:

If Sou is alive is he the one we have to hunt? And then maybe we get Kanna's sister as a doll?

Based on the update Sou would act in Kanna's place (so he'd be an option to light the monster on fire) just like Reko would act in Alice's place. Also, based on what Hinako said in that same update the only candidates for puppets would be people who didn't know any of the survivors of the First Trial (Mishima, Nao, Sara, Joe, Shin, Kanna, Keiji, Kai, Q-taro, Gin, Alice, Reko).

So, Kanna's sister is out because she knew Kanna and I guess Megumi was the one who used to be Keiji's boss so she's out as well.

NeoRonTheNeuron
Oct 14, 2012
Is it a game over if Anzu is crushed? If so, are we continuing as though everyone survived?

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

It's not a game over if Anzu is killed, but we'll keep her around anyway.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Falconer posted:

Based on the update Sou would act in Kanna's place (so he'd be an option to light the monster on fire) just like Reko would act in Alice's place. Also, based on what Hinako said in that same update the only candidates for puppets would be people who didn't know any of the survivors of the First Trial (Mishima, Nao, Sara, Joe, Shin, Kanna, Keiji, Kai, Q-taro, Gin, Alice, Reko).

So, Kanna's sister is out because she knew Kanna and I guess Megumi was the one who used to be Keiji's boss so she's out as well.

Strictly speaking, Hinako just said "survivors", which might disqualify Kanna and might let Kugie turn up. But then there'd be unbalanced numbers, so it probably wouldn't happen.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Joe was called a survivor, so it seems that the criteria for that label is passing the first trial. Which means there's no way to distinguish Kanna as a unique edge-case, so almost certainly no Kugie Doll in any route.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Aug 18, 2020

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Ah, I guess doubling our cast makes sense when we're in danger of losing them to random "monsters".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I feel like we've just been lied to 5 times in a row by these dolls and there's no way yet to call them out on it.