Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

CapnBry posted:

Can someone tell me if what I've got here is actually present or is some sort of harmonic artifact that comes from using a cheap SDR radio?

It is some Spanish-language shortwave radio stations that come in incredibly well here in Tampa, but scrolling around I hear the same broadcast at a lot of places across many bands, and sometimes coming in right in the middle of my 20m (which is the same broadcast as what is just above 40m). I'm contemplating buying a more expensive SDR like an RSP1A or maybe cheap out and get an MSI.SDR, but don't know if it will eliminate receiving this in a place where I don't think it actually is. Right now I am getting it on 7.33500MHz, 7.365000MHz, 14.069800MHz, 14.100000MHz, 14.13000MHz, all the exact same stream.

https://m.short-wave.info/index.php

I haven't checked all of those frequencies because I'm phone posting, but the two in the 7.3 MHz range are mirrors of a US Spanish language station, and there's a decent chance the others are, too.

If you're looking for strong shortwave signals in English or Spanish (that aren't just just the craziest of preachers) near you, Radio Havana has a few stations I used to be able to pick up at night in Georgia on a handheld receiver. I don't speak Spanish so I have no idea what content they played in Spanish (other than music) but their English station did news and even had a weekly segment about amateur radio which was neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

poeticoddity posted:

https://m.short-wave.info/index.php

If you're looking for strong shortwave signals in English or Spanish (that aren't just just the craziest of preachers) near you, Radio Havana has a few stations I used to be able to pick up at night in Georgia on a handheld receiver. I don't speak Spanish so I have no idea what content they played in Spanish (other than music) but their English station did news and even had a weekly segment about amateur radio which was neat.
Oh that site is great. I had googled looking for such a list but had a hard time finding a good site with that information.

I'm trying to go the other way though, NOT receive these signals. I don't think there should be a shortwave broadcast on 14.100MHz but I am getting one there. I'm trying to determine if that's a function of SDR in general, or my antenna, or if it is just specific to the model of SDR I am using. I don't want to spend $100 or more on a new SDR if it turns out I'll get the same signal all up in my FT8 or blasting over regular phone.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

CapnBry posted:

Can someone tell me if what I've got here is actually present or is some sort of harmonic artifact that comes from using a cheap SDR radio?

It is some Spanish-language shortwave radio stations that come in incredibly well here in Tampa, but scrolling around I hear the same broadcast at a lot of places across many bands, and sometimes coming in right in the middle of my 20m (which is the same broadcast as what is just above 40m). I'm contemplating buying a more expensive SDR like an RSP1A or maybe cheap out and get an MSI.SDR, but don't know if it will eliminate receiving this in a place where I don't think it actually is. Right now I am getting it on 7.33500MHz, 7.365000MHz, 14.069800MHz, 14.100000MHz, 14.13000MHz, all the exact same stream.

7365 kHz is one of the frequencies for Radio Marti, a sort of Radio Free Europe propaganda type station that the US blasts at Cuba.

https://shortwaveschedule.com/index.php?freq=7365

"Greenville" is in South Carolina, and in Tampa you're probably directly in the beam for that 250kW signal. If you're using a cheapo SDR it's possible you're having problems with image rejection and/or overloading from that.

edit: in your image it looks like the signal you've highlighted is 7332.xxx kHz which is probably not the main broadcast, as international broadcasters usually fall pretty closely on xxx0 or xxx5 kHz unless their transmitters are badly out of whack.

Porfiriato fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Aug 10, 2020

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

CapnBry posted:

Oh that site is great. I had googled looking for such a list but had a hard time finding a good site with that information.

I'm trying to go the other way though, NOT receive these signals. I don't think there should be a shortwave broadcast on 14.100MHz but I am getting one there. I'm trying to determine if that's a function of SDR in general, or my antenna, or if it is just specific to the model of SDR I am using. I don't want to spend $100 or more on a new SDR if it turns out I'll get the same signal all up in my FT8 or blasting over regular phone.

Have you pulled up a receiver on websdr.org and compared the output there to yours?

ickna
May 19, 2004

CapnBry posted:

It looks like an image but that spacing between duplicates is really close. What is the hardware you are listening with and what is the sample rate? What is your gain setting? Is it doing direct sampling for HF or are you using an up converter?

I would try reducing the sampling rate first to see if that gets rid of some of the images, and then try reducing the gain to see if any of the other ones go away.

It’s probably a combination of a strong signal overwhelming the input and the receiving hardware, so upgrading to a nicer receiver could help. I have the rsp2 and it has a lot of nice options for configuration on the front end to configure preselection filters.

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

:20bux:

ASK ME ABOUT MY AWESOME STARTUP IDEA

Pillbug

Mr.Radar posted:

Lately I've been getting the itch to get on HF. As I've probably mentioned before in this thread, I'm in a basement apartment (with no patio or balcony) which means any HF setup I put together will need to be portable (there's an open field near my apartment as well as a number of parks in the area that I could operate from). Here's the setup I'm thinking of:
Are there any obvious problems with this setup, particularly anything important I'm missing? I realize that especially the antenna is a compromise, particularly on the 40m and 20m bands (which are the ones I'm most interested in). I picked it because it seemed like it would be easier/more convenient to set up than some of the portable dipole/inverted-V antennas I was also looking at and for not much more than them (especially considering that for those I would also need to buy a telescoping mast to support them whereas I already have a tripod I can use for mounting the vertical antenna). Is this reasoning sound? Also, the crimp tool for the Powerpole terminals is really expensive ($25) compared to the cost of the terminals themselves (6/$10), can I get away with just using some pliers or would I really want to buy the crimper?

I have no experience with the Xeigu radios, but if it were me (and went through the same thing a few months ago), I'd spend the extra $100 and get a Yaesu FT-891. More power, more frequencies, and far better filter options.

I also have a MFJ Big Stick, and while it performs well, I find my go-to antenna setup is a Wolf River Coil Silver Bullet 1000 with whatever whip I have handy. I usually use a Chameleon CHA-MIL and can get on 80 meters with no problems. I also have a 213" collapsible whip that I got from Wolf River that I sometimes use.

I have accumulated a selection of batteries too, and I think I'll be adding that LiFePO4 you linked to my collection

Wolf river Coils: https://www.wolfrivercoils.com/order.html

Chameleon antenna: https://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-012751

All this crap fits into my backpack for remote operation. The joys of living near high-voltage power lines :downs:

FAKE EDIT: Pick yourself up an antenna analyzer too. Makes setting up the coil antennas a hell of a lot easier. Though the coils are really only difficult the first time, as long as your whip length doesn't vary. Once you have them marked up where the bands are, it's easy enough to just move the adjustment to the marks and get on the air.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
I bought a portapack by accident instead of a hackrf :kingsley:

Just selected the wrong drop down on AliExpress. Absolutely livid. Anyone in the U.K. want one at cost? :-/

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

The Hambulance posted:

I have no experience with the Xeigu radios, but if it were me (and went through the same thing a few months ago), I'd spend the extra $100 and get a Yaesu FT-891. More power, more frequencies, and far better filter options.

I also have a MFJ Big Stick, and while it performs well, I find my go-to antenna setup is a Wolf River Coil Silver Bullet 1000 with whatever whip I have handy. I usually use a Chameleon CHA-MIL and can get on 80 meters with no problems. I also have a 213" collapsible whip that I got from Wolf River that I sometimes use.

I have accumulated a selection of batteries too, and I think I'll be adding that LiFePO4 you linked to my collection

Wolf river Coils: https://www.wolfrivercoils.com/order.html

Chameleon antenna: https://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-012751

All this crap fits into my backpack for remote operation. The joys of living near high-voltage power lines :downs:

FAKE EDIT: Pick yourself up an antenna analyzer too. Makes setting up the coil antennas a hell of a lot easier. Though the coils are really only difficult the first time, as long as your whip length doesn't vary. Once you have them marked up where the bands are, it's easy enough to just move the adjustment to the marks and get on the air.

Thanks for the input. I don't mean to be dismissive, but while I'm sure the gear you mentioned would be a step up (the one feature I want the Xiegu doesn't have is the 6m band) getting all of it would also blow past my budget of $1000 (and preferably under $800)... which, to be fair, I didn't mention in my original post :v:. My original shopping list comes in at just around $800.

One of the things that drew me the Xiegu is that it (at least on its face) appears to be a pretty complete package for getting on HF since it has a built-in wide-range automatic antenna tuner (which reviews seem to universally praise) and a built-in basic antenna analyzer. With the Yaesu, it would not only be more expensive to get the radio but I'd also need to buy those items separately. (Don't get me wrong, I'm sure I'll want/need to buy standalone versions of those items eventually, but if I don't need to now I'll put it off.) I also like that the Xiegu has a waterfall display (even if it's literally postage-stamp size). And if I went with a higher-power radio I'd also need to get a bigger/higher-power battery to go with it since the max 12v output on the pack I mentioned is only 10 amps (fine for the max 6 amp draw of the Xiegu, not enough for the max 20 amp draw of the Yaesu; though I'm sure I could get by with limiting the transmit power).

Boy this hobby can get expensive :homebrew:

dwnelson
Feb 28, 2020

Mr.Radar posted:

It would probably be cheaper and more socially acceptable to take up a heroin habit tbh

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

:20bux:

ASK ME ABOUT MY AWESOME STARTUP IDEA

Pillbug

Mr.Radar posted:

Thanks for the input. I don't mean to be dismissive, but while I'm sure the gear you mentioned would be a step up (the one feature I want the Xiegu doesn't have is the 6m band) getting all of it would also blow past my budget of $1000 (and preferably under $800)... which, to be fair, I didn't mention in my original post :v:. My original shopping list comes in at just around $800.

Fair enough.

One of the hardest things for me to wrap my head around with this hobby is there really is no solution that is right for most people. Buy what you can, and keep an eye out for ham-fests and estate sales. There’s lots of bargains out there if you are patient.

Mr.Radar posted:

You have no idea. Run away now while you still can! Save yourself!

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
Really dumb question: Can a single antenna and a T-splitter be used with a dual-input SDR to RX different band segments simultaneously?

I just ordered an SDRplay Duo and a Hustler DLC-B discone antenna.
Running the antenna to a T-splitter and then feeding it into the two inputs on the Duo feels like one of those things that probably won't work for reasons I'm forgetting.
I know this would definitely run into issues with mismatched impedance values for the two inputs (and adding any TX element would be a big-no-no), but I'm pretty sure the impedance values for the two inputs on the Duo are identical which makes me think...maybe?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Mr.Radar posted:

getting all of it would also blow past my budget of $1000 (and preferably under $800)...

Is this an overall budget or a radio budget?

Because boy howdy, the radio often seems like the cheap part when you don't have all the other things that people in hobby assume already exist at your location. Power supplies, coax, adapters.........

It goes deep, but once you're in there it's not so bad I guess?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

poeticoddity posted:

Really dumb question: Can a single antenna and a T-splitter be used with a dual-input SDR to RX different band segments simultaneously?

I just ordered an SDRplay Duo and a Hustler DLC-B discone antenna.
Running the antenna to a T-splitter and then feeding it into the two inputs on the Duo feels like one of those things that probably won't work for reasons I'm forgetting.
I know this would definitely run into issues with mismatched impedance values for the two inputs (and adding any TX element would be a big-no-no), but I'm pretty sure the impedance values for the two inputs on the Duo are identical which makes me think...maybe?

I don't see why it wouldn't, it's just like splitting a audio signal into two pairs of headphones.

Like you said however, just make super sure that you're not making any sort of transmission otherwise you'll blow up your second receiver. That includes any sort of transmission that's being used to test the SWR or do impedance matching. if you're doing literally any kind of transmission whatsoever you'll need to physically disconnect the second receiver either with a switch or by physically removing the cable.

Edit: I suppose if your receivers are behind the same impedance matching device you might be okay with having it tune the signal.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Aug 11, 2020

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

poeticoddity posted:

Have you pulled up a receiver on websdr.org and compared the output there to yours?
Oh snap why didn't I think of that? Nope, a local websdr does not have the copies up in 20m but does show the multiple 40m signals so it is likely those are really there, but the 20m is something weird on my end.

ickna posted:

I would try reducing the sampling rate first to see if that gets rid of some of the images, and then try reducing the gain to see if any of the other ones go away.
Hey, dropping to 250kHz of bandwidth, the stuff in the middle of the 20m disappeared almost completely. The stuff in the 40m is still crazy loud so that backs up what the websdr in the area suggested as well. The adapter is a RTL-SDR.COM deal working in direct sampling mode so I have no gain control or preselectors or anything.

Uh oh looks like HRO has the RSP1A on sale right now for $99 whoops my money fell out, into their website.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

The Hambulance posted:

Fair enough.

One of the hardest things for me to wrap my head around with this hobby is there really is no solution that is right for most people. Buy what you can, and keep an eye out for ham-fests and estate sales. There’s lots of bargains out there if you are patient.

Yeah, your advice is good and I'm sure those are the choices you would make, I was mostly looking for validation for wasting my money I wasn't completely off base with my decisions.

quote:

You have no idea. Run away now while you still can! Save yourself!

Too late, I already placed my order :shepspends:

Motronic posted:

Is this an overall budget or a radio budget?

Because boy howdy, the radio often seems like the cheap part when you don't have all the other things that people in hobby assume already exist at your location. Power supplies, coax, adapters.........

It goes deep, but once you're in there it's not so bad I guess?

Overall, since I am starting from scratch (the only other radio gear I have right now is a few Baofeng HTs). If I had $1k to spend on a radio alone it would be the Icom 7300 no questions asked (even though it wouldn't exactly be the most portable thing in the world...).

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Aug 11, 2020

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

hello yes signal check

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

I don't see why it wouldn't, it's just like splitting a audio signal into two pairs of headphones.

Like you said however, just make super sure that you're not making any sort of transmission otherwise you'll blow up your second receiver. That includes any sort of transmission that's being used to test the SWR or do impedance matching. if you're doing literally any kind of transmission whatsoever you'll need to physically disconnect the second receiver either with a switch or by physically removing the cable.

Edit: I suppose if your receivers are behind the same impedance matching device you might be okay with having it tune the signal.

I know having an SDR in the loop with a transmitting radio and not having a switch is a great way to blow up your SDR.
Would I need to disconnect the SDR from an RX-only antenna if I've got a transceiver on a separate RX/TX antenna? (Assuming I'm not doing high-wattage HF stuff.)
Example: If I've got an SDR on a scanner antenna (which isn't rated for TX and will not be connected to a transceiver), do I need to disconnect the SDR from the scanner antenna before using a 2M or 70cm transceiver on my J-pole?

Casual Encountess posted:

hello yes signal check

In addition to being awkward to use, that looks like a snapped SMA connector waiting to happen.
Consider getting some coax to serve as strain relief between your radio and antenna. That'd also let you get your antenna higher, and hang it vertically, which might help.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

poeticoddity posted:

In addition to being awkward to use, that looks like a snapped SMA connector waiting to happen.
Consider getting some coax to serve as strain relief between your radio and antenna. That'd also let you get your antenna higher, and hang it vertically, which might help.

well yes but one arrived before the other

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

poeticoddity posted:

I know having an SDR in the loop with a transmitting radio and not having a switch is a great way to blow up your SDR.
Would I need to disconnect the SDR from an RX-only antenna if I've got a transceiver on a separate RX/TX antenna? (Assuming I'm not doing high-wattage HF stuff.)
Example: If I've got an SDR on a scanner antenna (which isn't rated for TX and will not be connected to a transceiver), do I need to disconnect the SDR from the scanner antenna before using a 2M or 70cm transceiver on my J-pole?

Technically if you are not doing any transmitting with the transceiver then you can have it hooked up at the same time as the receiver SDR. The concern I would have with a transceiver however is any sort of automated impedance matching it does with an integrated antenna tuner may put out tiny bits of power to test the line and end up destroying your SDR.

I don't think that ham radio equipment in general would be putting out transmissions inadvertently because of how we are responsible for identifying ourselves as as part of each transmission. So I doubt that any sort of purpose built ham transceiver would do that. but if you're using any sort of transceiver that is not ham radio specific then I could not guarantee that it isn't going to put out unintended transmissions that would blow up your other receiver.

Either way it's probably prudent anyway to at least put a switch between the two to prevent both of them from being connected at the same time just to make sure that you don't hit the transmit button without thinking or kerchunk it accidently and blow up your other receiver.

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

I just think they're neat

poeticoddity posted:

being awkward to use

drat, did you really think that was the end goal?

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007

drunk mutt posted:

drat, did you really think that was the end goal?

Considering CE is a newly licensed ham whose previous posts in this thread have been a grab-bag of serious questions, jokes, and plans to build an antenna into a tall bike...maybe? :shrug:
I recently got one of those goofy ABBREE folding antennas which immediately made me think, "Wow, that's potentially a lot of torque on an SMA connector," and it's tiny by comparison.
I figured I'd try to be helpful in preventing someone from breaking their radio since people in this thread have been helpful in keeping me from breaking mine.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

poeticoddity posted:

Forget a snapped SMA connector, he might break off his entire radio!

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

poeticoddity posted:

Considering CE is a newly licensed ham whose previous posts in this thread have been a grab-bag of serious questions, jokes, and plans to build an antenna into a tall bike...maybe? :shrug:

Eh, but a Fong JPole on a Feng. You'd probably imagine the person doing this would have some insight to what is going on =P

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

Lou Takki posted:

Forget a snapped SMA connector, he might break off his entire radio!

its a uv-82hp if you break it in half two uv-5r's fall out, pinata style

its baofengs all the way down

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

its a uv-82hp if you break it in half two uv-5r's fall out, pinata style

its baofengs all the way down

And if you break the batteries it's just 1.5vs

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
I cleaned up my antenna tuner layout, replacing the air coil with a toroid, and 3D printed a box to put it all in. Six dang hours of messing with the box to get all the holes in the right place and make a pair of matching knobs that fit. Along the way, the capacitor's 4:1 knob mechanism just stopped working entirely. I'm not sure how that works (there's 0 exposed parts which reveal its clockwork) but I'm sure as heck not going to take it back out to fail to figure out how to fix it. I just clamped the knob onto the larger shaft and I find tuning with that easier anyway.

For reference, the setup that's been sitting on the porch for a month:

And my RSP1A comes today, yussssss.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

CapnBry posted:

I cleaned up my antenna tuner layout, replacing the air coil with a toroid, and 3D printed a box to put it all in. Six dang hours of messing with the box to get all the holes in the right place and make a pair of matching knobs that fit. Along the way, the capacitor's 4:1 knob mechanism just stopped working entirely. I'm not sure how that works (there's 0 exposed parts which reveal its clockwork) but I'm sure as heck not going to take it back out to fail to figure out how to fix it. I just clamped the knob onto the larger shaft and I find tuning with that easier anyway.

For reference, the setup that's been sitting on the porch for a month:

And my RSP1A comes today, yussssss.

project update?

tikka_zamayid
Dec 2, 2018

There goes the neighborhood....
I really need to build a proper antenna, my ATAS-120 set up at home is not cutting it as I enjoy the qrp digital modes. Since having moved 5 years ago I still need to set up a proper shack.

KC9DRE...

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Just got my license last night, been scanning around 2m and 70cm just to see who's around. Gonna probably dig into digital modes, especially when my RTL-SDR comes in tomorrow.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

project update?
Sorry I haven't responded but I typed a whole giant message and hit Ctrl+R instead of Shift+R near the end and lost my post so I put off typing it again. It's been working great out on the porch. The completed tuner is so much more convenient. Set the dials to where it needs to be and no need to bust out the NanoVNA each time I change bands. Having the capacitor without the 4:1 gearing is so much better because there's no way to see the plates engagement from the outside and the dial is just a normal dial. I will probably put a label on the front with the various positions I discover but right now I can just eyeball it and get it right enough.

The RSP1A is great in that it has better sensitivity, and much finer gain control which means it isn't completely blown out by the shortwave stations on 40m. The echos of shortwave broadcast I was picking up in the middle of my 20m are also gone. Being able to grab large chunks of bandwdith at once is also great (up to 10MHz) which means I can get all of 2m or all of what I want to listen to in 70cm at once.

What does suck is that using it with my setup of a Raspberry Pi A+ that sits outside all the time and SDR-Console on my windows PC in the nice air conditioning and big monitor / speakers doesn't really work. You can use SDRUno in ExtIO mode along with rsp_tcp to stream it, but the wifi doesn't have enough bandwidth to send 16-bit I/Q 2MHz. I'm not even sure it is working properly in that mode because SDRUno is not my favorite receiver app. I can use rsp_tcp with SDR-Console through the RTL-TCP input by chopping the 16-bit I/Q down to 8-bit (drop the top 2 and bottom 6 bits), but also the gain control is lost almost completely. I asked the SDR-Console developer about it and typed out all the specs for the "enhanced mode" API (which just adds a few more commands) and he said to just put a Windows PC outside all the time instead, which I won't be doing. That's pretty disappointing because I'm not getting full use out of the RSP1A, and because it isn't an open source program I can't add it myself. I may try to come up with a workaround by reverse engineering their V3 Server streaming protocol and wrapping the sdrplay API on the other side to emulate it. I don't know if I have that kind of energy for that, or will be able to figure out how they compress the I/Q samples.

CapnBry fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Aug 21, 2020

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

CapnBry posted:

Sorry I haven't responded but I typed a whole giant message and hit Ctrl+R instead of Shift+R near the end and lost my post so I put off typing it again. It's been working great out on the porch. The completed tuner is so much more convenient. Set the dials to where it needs to be and no need to bust out the NanoVNA each time I change bands. Having the capacitor without the 4:1 gearing is so much better because there's no way to see the plates engagement from the outside and the dial is just a normal dial. I will probably put a label on the front with the various positions I discover but right now I can just eyeball it and get it right enough.

The RSP1A is great in that it has better sensitivity, and much finer gain control which means it isn't completely blown out by the shortwave stations on 40m. The echos of shortwave broadcast I was picking up in the middle of my 20m are also gone. Being able to grab large chunks of bandwdith at once is also great (up to 10MHz) which means I can get all of 2m or all of what I want to listen to in 70cm at once.

What does suck is that using it with my setup of a Raspberry Pi A+ that sits outside all the time and SDR-Console on my windows PC in the nice air conditioning and big monitor / speakers doesn't really work. You can use SDRUno in ExtIO mode along with rsp_tcp to stream it, but the wifi doesn't have enough bandwidth to send 16-bit I/Q 2MHz. I'm not even sure it is working properly in that mode because SDRUno is not my favorite receiver app. I can use rsp_tcp with SDR-Console through the RTL-TCP input by chopping the 16-bit I/Q down to 8-bit (drop the top 2 and bottom 6 bits), but also the gain control is lost almost completely. I asked the SDR-Console developer about it and typed out all the specs for the "enhanced mode" API (which just adds a few more commands) and he said to just put a Windows PC outside all the time instead, which I won't be doing. That's pretty disappointing because I'm not getting full use out of the RSP1A, and because it isn't an open source program I can't add it myself. I may try to come up with a workaround by reverse engineering their V3 Server streaming protocol and wrapping the sdrplay API on the other side to emulate it. I don't know if I have that kind of energy for that, or will be able to figure out how they compress the I/Q samples.

I use this https://github.com/F6FLT/SDRSharp_v17xx-Plugin-for-SDRPlay for my rsp1a.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
That is helpful, I didn't know that existed. I occasionally use SDR#, but this DLL doesn't work through the network either. I'm trying to avoid having a 50ft USB extension or running like 100ft of coax through the attic to use the device on the machine I want to listen from.

That said, it is nice that SDR# exposes their API so developers can write their own plugins to support things. I asked the SDR-Console dev for the DLL interface he uses for all his frontend plugins or any sort of information on the V3 Server protocol and he said no. It is a bit odd that it is free software but he really wants to lock it down.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
https://www.sdrplay.com/new-raspberry-pi-sd-card-image-for-rspdx/

This page says it can use rtl_tcp in 16 bit extended mode and https://github.com/SDRplay/RSPTCPServer also say extended mode, author also says he only tests with sdrsharp frontend only, so you should just set up the server and then choose rtl tcp option. I am not home so i havent tested it on my battery powered raspberry pi.

Author says it should work with any rtl_tcp capable frontend so if this doesn't work then idk.

My solution i use are battery powered raspberry station with lan to fiber to lan converters so it truly isolated from the electrical grid with the bonus of 1 gigabit ethernet .

edit: someone asked if they could run (dll?) this on windows 10 with sdrsharp and this was the message https://groups.io/g/SDRPlayUsers/message/784

it looks like the client must have an extio interface if it is gonna use extended mode. :/

edit yet again: i tried UHD/USRP method and then picked the rsp tcp extio dll from sdrplay download page and this happened. I dont have a sdrplay where i am right now, but it looks promising!

we put a dll in your dll

Big Mackson fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Aug 24, 2020

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Big Mackson posted:

we put a dll in your dll

Haha exactly, and this DLL only actually front ends another process running on another machine, which is in itself a front end to the sdrplay API service running on that machine, which talks to the hardware through a driver's service.

That' ExtIO dll is the one that worked in SDRUno, and thanks for pointing me to the URSP wrapper because SDR# I like a lot better than Uno. I just tried it and hooray you can get 16 bit samples into SDR#! Theoretically anyway, it definitely doubled the wifi bandwidth so I assume it doesn't get shrunk down going into SDR#, but I'll have to investigate. The RSPTCPServer is a bit wonky, I've already been hacking on it because it does all sorts of crazy stuff where it resets turning off AGC by mistake, and it is super puzzling why they went through all the trouble to make this EXTIO dll and then used this "gain index" thing instead of just exposing the actual separate gains used by the API. The Pi's network can't just barely keep up with 2MSPS at 16 bit as it is choppy and after some random amount of minutes I get a ton of kernel driver USB errors (from the sdrplay process) that requires me to reboot the Pi.

Still not ideal but this could work slightly better than using rtl_tcp emulation so I'm happy to have more options, thanks!

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Hello hams and greybeards (but I repeat myself!) DIY Secret Santa signups are now open!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3941260

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I need a radio for backcountry use on forestry roads to avoid being creamed by trucks full of endangered pine logs and calling for help when my field partner is eaten by a grizzly or falls down a cliff. The legit kenwoods are too expensive to even consider. I understand the issues around Baofengs and am looking for a UV-5R but it looks like they've been discontinued, with the BF-F8HP being the next model. Problem is I can't find either of them in Canada without using a fairly sketchy looking site. Can anyone recommend a similar brand/model with similar specs?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Outrail posted:

I need a radio for backcountry use on forestry roads to avoid being creamed by trucks full of endangered pine logs and calling for help when my field partner is eaten by a grizzly or falls down a cliff. The legit kenwoods are too expensive to even consider. I understand the issues around Baofengs and am looking for a UV-5R but it looks like they've been discontinued, with the BF-F8HP being the next model. Problem is I can't find either of them in Canada without using a fairly sketchy looking site. Can anyone recommend a similar brand/model with similar specs?
If you need a radio to communicate with other people (trucks, emergency assistance) an important detail is what radios they have.

Unless they're operating on the 2m/70cm ham bands or adjacent two-way services like MURS or FRS/GMRS a UV-5R isn't going to help you, and the range is sufficiently limited that without a repeater it's not likely to be all that useful.

Truckers in North America that are using radios (a diminishing group) usually use CB (called GRS in Canada) so if you're looking to know where the log trucks are I'd assume that's what you want. Cobra is the most popular brand AFAIK, Galaxy is another big name. Make sure to get a proper antenna and mount too, not just some lovely little mag-mount thing. CB wavelength is ~11 meters, so you need a big antenna to get a decent signal out.

If there's an active ham repeater covering the area then the Baofeng might be useful from the emergency standpoint, but for the most part I don't believe any emergency organizations monitor ham or two-way frequencies as a part of normal operation so without some bored ham to rely on your best bets would be a satellite phone or an emergency beacon.

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

wolrah posted:

If you need a radio to communicate with other people (trucks, emergency assistance) an important detail is what radios they have.

Unless they're operating on the 2m/70cm ham bands or adjacent two-way services like MURS or FRS/GMRS a UV-5R isn't going to help you, and the range is sufficiently limited that without a repeater it's not likely to be all that useful.

Truckers in North America that are using radios (a diminishing group) usually use CB (called GRS in Canada) so if you're looking to know where the log trucks are I'd assume that's what you want. Cobra is the most popular brand AFAIK, Galaxy is another big name. Make sure to get a proper antenna and mount too, not just some lovely little mag-mount thing. CB wavelength is ~11 meters, so you need a big antenna to get a decent signal out.

If there's an active ham repeater covering the area then the Baofeng might be useful from the emergency standpoint, but for the most part I don't believe any emergency organizations monitor ham or two-way frequencies as a part of normal operation so without some bored ham to rely on your best bets would be a satellite phone or an emergency beacon.

I was under the impression that 2m was widely used for local emergency type of situations? I would imagine if you're the target of an SNR and have even a UV you'd be better off than not having it, yeah? Seems like plugging in the 145 whatever freq might be a good idea, let me do that now haha.

Edit: Does look like there are freqs in other bands https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_distress_frequency

drunk mutt fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Sep 25, 2020

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

wolrah posted:

BC switched over to a new system that all the forestry roads use for haul trucks a few years ago:
https://www.westcoastplacer.com/program-your-radio-for-bcs-backroads/
They're required to announce direction and km markers as standard practice.

I've spoken to quite a few people around here and most of them use a UV-5R. It's also useful for listening in on the ski patrol to see what runs are opening up. Driving those roads without a radio is asking to get smeared or run off a cliff.

The safety aspect is for talking to other workers/people and rescue services that are closer (<5km). I'm not expecting to call 911 on a handheld.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Outrail posted:

Can anyone recommend a similar brand/model with similar specs?

I have a UV-82HP, similar specs to the BF-F8HP but a bit older I think? Works great. I’m in the US though, dunno what Canadian availability is like.