Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Yeah the new diplomatic victory condition is basically not worth having on. It presents no challenge at all and doesn't interact with any particular mechanics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Kaal posted:

Yeah the new diplomatic victory condition is basically not worth having on. It presents no challenge at all and doesn't interact with any particular mechanics.

I turn it off every game

But that has the side effect of giving you a bit of an unfair advantage, since the AI is dumb and will still spend effort and money to win aid emergencies, which are meaningless when diplo victory points are worthless

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Elias_Maluco posted:

I have the impression that the AI got somewhat better in city building after the last patch. Im seeing bigger AI cities, and with better placed districts and more developed tiles

At the other hand, late game Im also seeing they build useless spaceports in several cities

It's a bit better but I see stuff like Great Bath and a Dam district built on the same flood plain by the same AI city.

OneTruePecos
Oct 24, 2010

showbiz_liz posted:

Multiple spaceports can serve a purpose. After the ship is launched they can all make laser stations at the same time, and also if you have multiple spaceports then one getting sabotaged is less of a problem.

I've never seen the AI build a laser or Lagrange station. Their exoplanet expedition always sits on 1 ly / turn.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Alkydere posted:

It's a bit better but I see stuff like Great Bath and a Dam district built on the same flood plain by the same AI city.

Gotta build the dam for the housing and production :shepface:

Minus1Minus1
Apr 26, 2004

Azula always lies
So I’ve been focusing on actually learning how to play Civ (V) instead of just mashing buttons and hoping I win. I’m still playing on easy settings, but almost every game is me trying to slam through a domination victory because the late game gets to feeling like spinning a bunch of plates. The amount of new stuff that comes online later just seems really overwhelming compared to my classical-era battering rams and horsies. Any tips on getting over that hump, aside from just sitting down to some YouTube videos?

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
Haven't played in a couple years. Decided to pick it back up.

My first civ game was civ 3 and I've been maining the Romans pretty much the whole time. So imagine my surprise when i realized that I don't think I get Trajan. Is it me or are the Romans a bit boring?

I didn't really know what to with them. I went Owls cause of the the trading posts seemed like they're encouraging a big trade network. But yeah.

My other game I went Bolivar instead. loving rolled over the world by the 19th century. It was awesome just zipping around the map erasing whole empire in a few turns. Gran Columbia is fun as poo poo, and I usually don't like domination wins.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

alpha_destroy posted:

My first civ game was civ 3 and I've been maining the Romans pretty much the whole time. So imagine my surprise when i realized that I don't think I get Trajan. Is it me or are the Romans a bit boring?

I didn't really know what to with them. I went Owls cause of the the trading posts seemed like they're encouraging a big trade network. But yeah.

With instant roads and monuments when you settle cities, you just spam settlers as much as possible. Legions are quite good in the classical era if you get access to iron. Baths are insane for growth--+6 housing and an amenity in any city, an additional 2 housing if it has no fresh water, and at half the production cost. It's very flexible and you can kinda do whatever you want with it, which I do understand can be less exciting since the abilities don't really feel like they're steering you in any particular direction and can feel pretty vanilla.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Rome in 6 used to be *really* good in Vanilla and Rise & Fall iirc due to the way they could spam Legions and just rush someone down but with changes to how strategic resources work they're not as reliably busted. Free Monuments is particularly nice still and helps you get to Political Philosophy really quickly though. They otherwise don't have too much a clear direction besides that though, so basically take the direction you want.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix

alpha_destroy posted:

Whether on purpose or accidentally, Rome's design in Civ 6 is one of the best beginner civs. Since you have one less building to worry about and free roads to help your people get around, with an early enough unique unit, Rome is easy to learn the game with and not have quite as many early game decisions. And with free bonus culture from that monument, you get through those first few civics quickly enough to have an advantage that makes up for lack of experience in knowing what to focus on.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Good beginner civ sounds about right. This is all solid advice and good explanations. I guess the issue for me is that it ends up feeling like picking Mario in mario kart. An all around civ is nice but maybe not super exciting.

I think the bigger issue for me is that I tend to get distracted by building wonders and districts and things and not spam settlers so I don't take full advantage of the free monuments and early roads and things.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Yeah try and inoculate yourself to wonder hoarding early. Figure out what your long term game plan is (science/tourism/war whatever) and build wonders that actually really help it, and no others. Alternatively or in addition to that try a game where you build literally none.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

alpha_destroy posted:

Good beginner civ sounds about right. This is all solid advice and good explanations. I guess the issue for me is that it ends up feeling like picking Mario in mario kart. An all around civ is nice but maybe not super exciting.

I think the bigger issue for me is that I tend to get distracted by building wonders and districts and things and not spam settlers so I don't take full advantage of the free monuments and early roads and things.

This is my problem, I just see wonders and my eyes go wide, and I've even trained myself to try and avoid the Hanging Gardens and if I'm doing tourism just do Oracle, Apadana, Great Library, which is still a lot of lost settler time. I just don't know when to go full settler and when to not. In games where I forbid myself from early wonders and spam settle it just feels like I have a bunch of land but my cities can't do poo poo.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Elias_Maluco posted:

But that has the side effect of giving you a bit of an unfair advantage, since the AI is dumb and will still spend effort and money to win aid emergencies, which are meaningless when diplo victory points are worthless

In Apoc mode I treat the Diplomacy win as an economic win, and just shower aid recipients with gold.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Hitting a Monumentality Golden Age with good faith gen after doing a bunch of wonder building is probably the best way to feel like you're making up for not building enough settlers before that ime.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Rimusutera posted:

Hitting a Monumentality Golden Age with good faith gen after doing a bunch of wonder building is probably the best way to feel like you're making up for not building enough settlers before that ime.

That is a great feeling.

Also while on this talk of early game set up, is there any kind of preferred map set up that makes really enjoyable maps? I like how random fractal can be, but it's often too snaky for my tastes.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Lately for Ive been really into Island - Continents with extra civs and city states, and setting the rainfall to Wet so there's a billion forests. It fits my desire for like, lots of stuff to chop or have cool Forest adjacency for Holy Sites (which is otherwise rare on lots of map types) and has a good mix of a solid landmass and lots of island colonies for later naval wars and island hoping campaigns.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

alpha_destroy posted:

I don't think there is an "all around" civ in the sense that you mean it. Every one of them has something to recommend them that you can spin into a strategy. The downside is that "something" isn't equally good across all civs.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

The reason Rome feels like a good "starter" Civ is because it smooths out the Ancient / Classical era really well and basically just adds a bunch of enzymes into the hang ups an early game has. Early game is hard because the AI has advantages at higher difficulties, or you're just learning the game so you're not making efficient plays, so Rome's early advantages due to its nature make it very good at smoothing out the rough edges a game has, but in experienced hands it also feels very powerful.

1) Their unique unit is amazing - it's 4 more strength than Swordsmen and requires only half the iron, allowing you to potentially field a larger army just through trading. Newer players may not realize what a massive power bump going from Warriors to Swordsmen is, so trying out the Roman unique unit in a classical war will allow them to utterly dominate and snowball.
2) All roads lead to Rome also helps out with an error some players make in building their interior road infrastructure. In any game where you're getting attacked having roadways to your border cities is critical, and it's helpful to help reinforcements get to the front in offensive wars. This ability takes your early empire and makes it feel fluid and dynamic. If you're playing your 4th game and Genghis invades and you don't have Rome you may find your Archers 6 turns away from the front, while with Rome it might be 3, saving your cities. The gold bonus is pretty negligible.
3) the starting monument is fantastic for new players. In the early game knowing when to go monument / granary / builder / vs. settler is key, and just not having the option to go monument helps you make the correct call with less possibility for error. The extra culture helps slingshot you quickly into early civics and get to your first government much faster which doubles your efficiency from policies.
4) the Bath is straight up amazing, but it's also another one of those "make a player try it" systems. The Settler lens is so helpful that players will often err towards fresh water and not build aqueducts, when in reality they still add housing, district adjacency, and set up good industrial zones. The bath is even better because it adds +2 housing on top of the other housing AND gives you an amenity to support your new population, all for half the production for a district that you can always slap down.

Ultimately their ability to adapt to offensive or defensive wars easily and build up quick civics and housing means they ease your entry into the game in the ancient / classical era and smooth any rough edges in your strategy. With experience you'll be able to take these advantages and snowball with them even faster.

Overall Rome is just super fun to play. They feel potent and building a sprawling empire that connects to itself automatically with cities springing up to 10 housing effortlessly feels very much like the Rome you learned about in history and makes them super satisfying to play!

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Alexander just made me so mad I uninstalled him.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Tom Tucker posted:

The reason Rome feels like a good "starter" Civ is because it smooths out the Ancient / Classical era really well and basically just adds a bunch of enzymes into the hang ups an early game has. Early game is hard because the AI has advantages at higher difficulties, or you're just learning the game so you're not making efficient plays, so Rome's early advantages due to its nature make it very good at smoothing out the rough edges a game has, but in experienced hands it also feels very powerful.

1) Their unique unit is amazing - it's 4 more strength than Swordsmen and requires only half the iron, allowing you to potentially field a larger army just through trading. Newer players may not realize what a massive power bump going from Warriors to Swordsmen is, so trying out the Roman unique unit in a classical war will allow them to utterly dominate and snowball.
2) All roads lead to Rome also helps out with an error some players make in building their interior road infrastructure. In any game where you're getting attacked having roadways to your border cities is critical, and it's helpful to help reinforcements get to the front in offensive wars. This ability takes your early empire and makes it feel fluid and dynamic. If you're playing your 4th game and Genghis invades and you don't have Rome you may find your Archers 6 turns away from the front, while with Rome it might be 3, saving your cities. The gold bonus is pretty negligible.
3) the starting monument is fantastic for new players. In the early game knowing when to go monument / granary / builder / vs. settler is key, and just not having the option to go monument helps you make the correct call with less possibility for error. The extra culture helps slingshot you quickly into early civics and get to your first government much faster which doubles your efficiency from policies.
4) the Bath is straight up amazing, but it's also another one of those "make a player try it" systems. The Settler lens is so helpful that players will often err towards fresh water and not build aqueducts, when in reality they still add housing, district adjacency, and set up good industrial zones. The bath is even better because it adds +2 housing on top of the other housing AND gives you an amenity to support your new population, all for half the production for a district that you can always slap down.

Ultimately their ability to adapt to offensive or defensive wars easily and build up quick civics and housing means they ease your entry into the game in the ancient / classical era and smooth any rough edges in your strategy. With experience you'll be able to take these advantages and snowball with them even faster.

Overall Rome is just super fun to play. They feel potent and building a sprawling empire that connects to itself automatically with cities springing up to 10 housing effortlessly feels very much like the Rome you learned about in history and makes them super satisfying to play!

yeah I got my first deity win on rome and I didn't even ever have iron they are super strong

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Yeah, it turns out I am just really bad at this game. I started a new game on difficulty 5 (can't remember which one that is. King?). Stacked the deck since I am out of practice. Ethiopia, young world or w/e, and went voidsinger. I spawned on my own island big enough for 4 cities. Literally couldn't ask for an easier start and I just totally hosed it all up. I didn't produce enough food to grow my cities and I started getting beat to the wonders I wanted (Though I was able to nab Mont, Mahabodhi, and Kotoku-in so I didn't miss all of them). I will still win the game for the for sure, but I am definitely limping along at the moment waiting for the Industrial era so I can train some cultists and flip some Sumerian cities to turn my foothold on the continent into something worthwhile.

On the other hand, despite totally loving up my start, the combo really is pretty ridiculous. I am near the front of the pack in both science and culture despite never having built either a campus nor a theater district.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Organic Lube User posted:

Alexander just made me so mad I uninstalled him.

One reason I play on king is so I can delete him from the board whenever he's my neighbor. His long march will always come to an end when I'm his first meet.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Is there a reason why the map seeds I'm putting in wind up coming up with a different map than what the poster has? I'm trying to get the Mayan "city next to 4 luxuries" achievement and despite putting in what I'm finding in this thread (lol reddit) it comes up with something reliably different. Putting the map as huge, primordial, abundant resources/legendary start as they detail in the post.

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

IIRC, every setting including leaders is taken into account when generating the map.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
If you're putting in the actual map & game seed in the advanced options, and picking the same Civ, you should get the exact location as them I think?

Rimusutera fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Aug 12, 2020

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

alpha_destroy posted:

Yeah, it turns out I am just really bad at this game. I am near the front of the pack in both science and culture despite never having built either a campus nor a theater district.

What victory condition are you going for? Not science or culture I hope...

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

On King you can get pretty far just building a lot of every district. Just get some good adjacency and housing and your cities will do just fine.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Reading this thread has convinced me to watch more videos before I play again. I'm missing out on way too many game mechanics by trying to play this like one of the old Civ games.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Chad Sexington posted:

What victory condition are you going for? Not science or culture I hope...

Religion. Didn't even make it to the atomic era so I didn't get the voidsinger cheevo. Won Religious victory on a huge map in the late 1500s lol.

Edit: Ethiopian cities on hills (which was all my cities obviously) get 15% of their faith output in science and culture. And voidsingers get 20% of their faith in science and culture. Which means my cities were really getting 35%. So by the end of the game I was producing ~680 faith a turn (about 150 of which came from my religion's belief so that didn't get the 15% boost) which meant i was getting a little over 200 science and culture before even factoring in my science or culture buildings lol. And that was with me being lovely and not expanding correctly or playing particularly well.

And with over half of my relic spots unfilled. I easily could have won culture if I just sacrificed some cultists. Which I was gonna do in the atomic era. But c'est la vie.

alpha_destroy fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Aug 12, 2020

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

So I loving hated this game when it first came out. The AI not being able to take cities thing was like the icing on the cake. I saw a lot of praise for it after the year or two of patches and DLCs (that's a Civ!) so I picked it back up and I have been enjoying it a lot more. At least I know the AI can take cities with walls now, cause I've seen civs take each other out. Yay!

That being said, one of the design decisions I like the most about Civ 6 compared to other Civs is the fact that it almost plays a little more like a story/experience more than a world domination game. Of course the strategy goals are all there, but at least from the viewpoint of someone who isn't an expert at it, it seems like games are a little less formulaic than its predecessors. There's a little more reacting and going with the flow.

I think that's cool and I'm enjoying it.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I've seen the AI scoot archers out of unrevealed terrain, attack with them, then move in melee troops to finish the job. Pretty sure that never used to happen in VI.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
One of the things that baffles me about most arguments that IV or V are better than VI is that the metas for those games were just incredibly... solved. On even high difficulties with VI it feels like there's a lot of dynamic and varied options you have to approach the game with just due to how different the victory conditions are and the way the mechanics around districts and the tech/civic split are. Really makes the non-science games stand out on their own footing and the decisions to lead to them really interesting.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Chronojam posted:

I've seen the AI scoot archers out of unrevealed terrain, attack with them, then move in melee troops to finish the job. Pretty sure that never used to happen in VI.

Yeah, the AI got better. Is still dumb, but on emperor it offer enough challenge for me

showbiz_liz posted:

Multiple spaceports can serve a purpose. After the ship is launched they can all make laser stations at the same time, and also if you have multiple spaceports then one getting sabotaged is less of a problem.

On my current game my neightbour Cree built 9 spaceports

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

The dumbest thing the AI does that I wish it would stop is invading city states in the middle of someone else’s empire which just ends up giving the city away to someone else after 10 turns. very annoying and inevitably will be the one I have a ton of envoys with

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I have a question, given this level of loyalty pressure is there any reason why the ai isn't losing loyalty in the city?

I've been in a constant golden age, with a 25 pop city nearby, and I should be flipping these cities but they just are not. At this point I'm more confused how Spain is keeping itself safe.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Are they allied with you?

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Eimi posted:

I have a question, given this level of loyalty pressure is there any reason why the ai isn't losing loyalty in the city?

I've been in a constant golden age, with a 25 pop city nearby, and I should be flipping these cities but they just are not. At this point I'm more confused how Spain is keeping itself safe.

Is their Government Plaza in that city? That provides +8 loyalty, add a monument and a governor, and if they are following their founded religion + any cards in the government can all add up.

Elias_Maluco posted:

Are they allied with you?
good call /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Yeah, if you have a cultural alliance your pressure means nothing.

(crossed out stuff is relevant but not the answer)

edit-Actually I just spotted it, Barcelona has the Statute of Liberty.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Aug 12, 2020

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Madmarker posted:

Is their Government Plaza in that city? That provides +8 loyalty, add a monument and a governor, and if they are following their founded religion + any cards in the government can all add up.

good call /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Yeah, if you have a cultural alliance your pressure means nothing.

(crossed out stuff is relevant but not the answer)

edit-Actually I just spotted it, Barcelona has the Statute of Liberty.

You know I totally forgot about that effect of that. I just think of it as +4 diplo points, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I had a similar problem when I tried to do peaceful domination with Eleanor but forgot that Phoenician cities on the coast can't lose loyalty.