Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
Still not over this, what a waste...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Magic Mango posted:

Just finished Yakuza 3, onto Y4 :getin:

Y3 spoilers: I was absolutely gutted that they killed off both Kashiwagi and Rikiya though :smith:

first one i was like well, that sucks... dammit. and then the 2nd one was like RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIKIYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaa :negative: the sun will never be blessed by your smile again, RIIIIIIIIIIIKIYAAAAAAA :negative: :negative: :negative: :negative:

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

the ending omg :perfect:

also :thatsrad:

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I have zero reason to believe that this isn’t how Kiryu’s seven years as a legit yakuza went

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Akiyama got a loving glow up in Yakuza 6.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
what are these deepfakes with kazuma's face with the poo poo eating grin

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
So I'm drunk but I finished Yakuza 5 tonight so I have a lot of thoughts. Spoilers ahoy, I'm not going to just spoiler tag this whole post so don't read this poo poo unless you've beaten Yakuza 5.

The emotional beats were good but the overall story was disappointing. It feels like a game where 30% of the story was missing.

Shinada was a fun character but was completely out of place in the story. He didn't fit within the main crew at all and if he wasn't there, the story would have been better for it.

Putting everyone in separate cities with no crossover was a mistake. It means you have four separate stories with very little, if any, interaction. This often leads to a character popping up 50 hours later and you're like "wait, who are you again?"

All of the game's features feel like they are extremely diluted from previous games. They overhauled hostesses but only one hostess per character was bad. And almost all the hostesses were bad/boring. We went from 12 hostesses in the previous game to 5 in this one.

Haruka's section was the best section in the game.

The premise for the plot was great, but the execution was extremely lacking. I was legit surprised by the reveal of "the Osaka detective" but the reveal of the final boss was a wet fart.

Basically, this game feels like a diluted, inferior version of Yakuza 4 in almost every way. One of the reasons Yakuza 4 was so great was because every character had a very personal stake in what was going on and you had a lot of crossover between characters. Meanwhile, you go through all four character's portions of this game and learn jack poo poo. After almost every character's part n Yakuza 5 I was left feeling like I learned next to nothing and it was a waste of time.

I also feel like too much happened off screen. Morinaga is set up as a villain by the end of the Kiryu part but then when you get to the finale, it's like "oh yeah, he died off screen. Oh and that Aizawa guy that he said he killed. He's still alive. No we aren't going to explain any of this."

Good premise. Bad execution.

There was a lot of game there but areas were stretched way too thin.

An overall inferior game than Yakuza 4 and one that I felt kinda disappointed by the end.

Y0/YK2 > Y4 > Y5 > YK1 >>>>>>>> Y3

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/TecFuzz/status/1292539055289389059?s=19

I'm dying to find out how this gets localized. :allears:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

sweet, new Little Big video

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

oh my god. nov 13th is so far away man

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Mordiceius posted:

So I'm drunk but I finished Yakuza 5 tonight so I have a lot of thoughts. Spoilers ahoy, I'm not going to just spoiler tag this whole post so don't read this poo poo unless you've beaten Yakuza 5.

The emotional beats were good but the overall story was disappointing. It feels like a game where 30% of the story was missing.

Shinada was a fun character but was completely out of place in the story. He didn't fit within the main crew at all and if he wasn't there, the story would have been better for it.

Putting everyone in separate cities with no crossover was a mistake. It means you have four separate stories with very little, if any, interaction. This often leads to a character popping up 50 hours later and you're like "wait, who are you again?"

All of the game's features feel like they are extremely diluted from previous games. They overhauled hostesses but only one hostess per character was bad. And almost all the hostesses were bad/boring. We went from 12 hostesses in the previous game to 5 in this one.

Haruka's section was the best section in the game.

The premise for the plot was great, but the execution was extremely lacking. I was legit surprised by the reveal of "the Osaka detective" but the reveal of the final boss was a wet fart.

Basically, this game feels like a diluted, inferior version of Yakuza 4 in almost every way. One of the reasons Yakuza 4 was so great was because every character had a very personal stake in what was going on and you had a lot of crossover between characters. Meanwhile, you go through all four character's portions of this game and learn jack poo poo. After almost every character's part n Yakuza 5 I was left feeling like I learned next to nothing and it was a waste of time.

I also feel like too much happened off screen. Morinaga is set up as a villain by the end of the Kiryu part but then when you get to the finale, it's like "oh yeah, he died off screen. Oh and that Aizawa guy that he said he killed. He's still alive. No we aren't going to explain any of this."

Good premise. Bad execution.

There was a lot of game there but areas were stretched way too thin.

An overall inferior game than Yakuza 4 and one that I felt kinda disappointed by the end.

Y0/YK2 > Y4 > Y5 > YK1 >>>>>>>> Y3

see, i knew you'd like the haruka bit (who doesnt, lets be honest, it owns) yeah the morinaga stuff is weird but i dunno, i liked how overly ambitious it was. still shaking my head at that yk1/y3 rankings. are you gonna play the ps2 originals and judgment? there was some stuff they cut in from 2 in k2 that kinda sours me on it, the removal of that extra side of osaka and club adam.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Having just finished PS2 2, I don’t think the loss of Shinseicho is that great. Its barely more than a straight line made up of reused assets from Sotenbori, with the only really unique thing there being the Tsutenkaku I guess? The acupuncturist and Granny White were both in the third map and honestly, I’m grateful they moved to Sotenbori just to streamline things.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

would rather them have kept it tbh, streamlined or not. they could have fleshed it out more maybe with the extra side content.

Peragus
Sep 13, 2011

The loss of Club Adam is what disappoints me the most. When Kiwami 2 was announced I envisioned the hostess club from 0 except you can dress up the boys and you could have Kiryu flirt with the clients instead of the hostess training session. Then I heard it got cut

We can't see this in the new engine now and the world is poorer for it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ejt5YSNbQnY

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that's a very unsettling scene

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
I always thought it was bullshit that you never got to run Stardust exactly like you did Sunshine. Or Nyan Nyan Cat Cafe.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Kojiro posted:

I always thought it was bullshit that you never got to run Stardust exactly like you did Sunshine. Or Nyan Nyan Cat Cafe.

Imagine assigning each type of cat to customers as they enter

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

mastershakeman posted:

Imagine assigning each type of cat to customers as they enter

Please, you'd be assigning customers to the cats.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
Stats for cuteness and petability! And you still do the lil thumbs up after you bring them a bowl of milk.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
That entire video needs to be the new thread title

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

ChaosArgate posted:

Please, you'd be assigning customers to the cats.

Haha hell yeah . And the customers would be doing the hand gestures about what you need to bring

QUEER FRASIER
May 31, 2011

5’s taxi driving missions are just the right amount of boring yet slightly challenging and interactive to where I enjoy playing them as a bit of idle anxiety reduction

so it’s disappointing to see that seemingly after the first 6 or so the rest of the taxi missions are all dumb conversation missions that transport me back in time to my days as a service employee constantly fishing for whatever the gently caress line of conversation will please this random person I’m dealing with

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

ChaosArgate posted:

Having just finished PS2 2, I don’t think the loss of Shinseicho is that great. Its barely more than a straight line made up of reused assets from Sotenbori, with the only really unique thing there being the Tsutenkaku I guess? The acupuncturist and Granny White were both in the third map and honestly, I’m grateful they moved to Sotenbori just to streamline things.

Shinseicho was kind of a cute little area but you're right in that it was kind of pointless and bogged things down when it requires a taxi to get there.

Managing the Marietta sucked rear end, but I really enjoyed the Adam sidequests. Otherwise, I can't think of anything notable left out.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Vikar Jerome posted:

see, i knew you'd like the haruka bit (who doesnt, lets be honest, it owns) yeah the morinaga stuff is weird but i dunno, i liked how overly ambitious it was. still shaking my head at that yk1/y3 rankings. are you gonna play the ps2 originals and judgment? there was some stuff they cut in from 2 in k2 that kinda sours me on it, the removal of that extra side of osaka and club adam.

I mean, I don't think Yakuza 5 is a bad game, but it's very middle of the pack for me.

I'm planning on play Yakuza 6 and then Judgment before going into Y:LAD in November. No desire to ever go try the PS2 games.

I don't hate Yakuza Kiwami 1, but coming of Yakuza 0, it ends up feeling like an expansion DLC more than a full, standalone game. Really enjoyed elements of it but at the same time, I wish they would have modernized some of the cutscenes instead of just doing a 1:1 recreation of them because a lot of the cutscenes are awkwardbad.

Yakuza 3, while I respect the choice of the orphanage (even though I felt like it went on way too loving long), has a terrible loving main plot. The stuff with Black Monday is stupid as hell. The plot is so much of an asspull, they have to have a character just monologue for 30 minutes about this convoluted plot. I feel like none of the characters have any agency in the story and are just puppets for the black market illuminati and the CIA. It has, by far, the worst overall plot of any game in the series. There are some good character development and moments but I can't look past how bad the overall story is. They leaned in to the soap opera elements of the storytelling and not the good ones.

Two other things I remembered that I wanted to mention about Yakuza 5 -
- It felt like it was the easiest of the games since you can have two health bars. Not only did I feel like the enemies overall did less damage, but I have 2x the health. It was a hilarious stomp. I feel like Legend in Y5 would be the easiest to breeze through.
- Graphically there were a lot of things that just looked bad in the cutscenes/cutscene direction. I felt like in a lot of ways, Y5 Remaster actually looks worse than the Y4 Remaster. And then so many times in cutscenes, the characters end up looking super stiff and while talking to someone right next to them, they deadeye stare into the distance and it looks like they're talking past the person they're talking to.

QUEER FRASIER
May 31, 2011

holy hell they managed to make Saejima’s segment in Y5 worse than in 4

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I went back around to find Club Adam and Club Marietta in PS2 Y2 and wow my desire to engage with a cabaret system in this franchise has never been lower.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtCFVQDWarg

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Sz_MY7IxJ0

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

yakuza ftw

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
https://twitter.com/Paynota/status/1293159603572805632

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I can hear this picture.

QUEER FRASIER
May 31, 2011

QUEER FRASIER posted:

holy hell they managed to make Saejima’s segment in Y5 worse than in 4

correction: the prison part is worse but overall I really enjoyed Saejima’s part especially the ridiculous hunting subplot

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

QUEER FRASIER posted:

correction: the prison part is worse but overall I really enjoyed Saejima’s part especially the ridiculous hunting subplot

it's certainly better than Shinada's boring rear end side-story

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

QUEER FRASIER posted:

i honestly have no idea why they felt like they needed his section to be prison but longer and mostly worse again. I was honestly expecting him going back to be a timeskip we didn’t actually play through and his story to be addressing the shitshow that happened in that interval. poo poo, maybe that was the plan but Y5 ran into development issues.

Hunting is pretty great though, I really hope they bring it back eventually and not just rail shooters (although those are pretty fun!)

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Last Celebration posted:

i honestly have no idea why they felt like they needed his section to be prison but longer and mostly worse again. I was honestly expecting him going back to be a timeskip we didn’t actually play through and his story to be addressing the shitshow that happened in that interval. poo poo, maybe that was the plan but Y5 ran into development issues.

Hunting is pretty great though, I really hope they bring it back eventually and not just rail shooters (although those are pretty fun!)

I think overall, I liked Saejima's story more in Yakuza 5 over Yakuza 4 because stuff actually happens in his Yakuza 5 story (and he's not a creepo to Haruka).

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Cannot believe they didn't touch up that part to make it clearer that she reminds him of his sister, at least to the player.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Isn't that just some dumb bullshit justification someone made up?

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Would an indecipherably thick Asian accent be too offensive, or should he just be speaking French or something?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

What if it were an indecipherably thick english accent, like Ozzy’s?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
He was just drunk.