Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inverted Sphere
Aug 19, 2013

Thank you, works perfectly! And yeah, I honestly don't mind the whole "could get jumped by or pulled into fights with other people" when it's not somebody magically exploding me from across the map with mind powers, or teleporting next to me while invincible and then killing me a single shot while my bullets literally go through them harmlessly. Unfortunately it seems like it's way more often somebody's doing poo poo with a mod menu rather than just, yanno, trying to shoot me or doing something where I can actually shoot back.

Honestly it's annoying as hell because half the charm is absolutely in the constant risk that things could suddenly go sideways and you're never quite sure what to expect out of strangers. But it feels like there's been a such a massive spike in the number of hackers that it's never something neat or fun or even just a good 'ol fashioned shootout happens anymore, it's way more likely I'm suddenly a thousand feet in the air or my horse suddenly explodes with me on it or everyone in the session is suddenly pulled into one spot and then everything is exploding or so on so forth, to say nothing of all the strange bugs like animal spawns breaking, NPC's disappearing into the ether like every butcher on the map suddenly deciding they're on holiday, or any combination of the above.

And that makes me sad, so it's nice to sometimes have the option be able to do something knowing I'm at least not going to randomly explode. Does make me sometimes wonder if getting the PC version was a mistake instead of going PS4, especially now that I've warmed up to playing with a controller. (I do have to hand it to Zesty, aiming with a controller is so much easier and smoother it isn't even funny, and I say this as someone who almost always prefers mouse and keyboard.)

EDIT: Aaaaand nevermind, that's three times in a row where with those ports blocked I just get disconnected within about five minutes once I'm in a solo lobby (or basically as soon as I move more than a very tiny distance away from wherever I load in) seems like they've done something to patch it out or prevent the method that was linked from working. They can't stop the cheaters but they can stop us from getting away from them, I see.

Inverted Sphere fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Aug 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Cage posted:

Ya sounds great.

Is this supposed to be a dig? You don't see how the two thoughts "Empty sessions would be boring" and "cheaters are bad" are compatible?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I saw something new. During a trade delivery I shot a fellow off his horse, but since he was chasing me on foot I ignored him. A little later a fresh enemy rider was approaching and he had that first guy riding with him on his horse! I didn't know that enemies would do that.

Has Emerald Ranch been empty for anyone else? It's been desolate for days, only the Fence is there. No people, no animals.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Outlaw Pass 3 maxed. Naturalist 20. Gold reserves back up to 120. Cash at 4k. Looks like it's getting time to hibernate until next update. Just want to finish the non-legendaries in the compendium. Just missing some snakes, cows, and one of each panther needs to be found.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Aug 9, 2020

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Zesty posted:

Outlaw Pass 3 maxed. Naturalist 20. Gold reserves back up to 120. Cash at 4k. Looks like it's getting time to hibernate until next update. Just want to finish the non-legendaries in the compendium. Just missing some snakes, cows, and one of each panther needs to be found.

I've been looking for the cow variants for loving ever, I cannot find them

Snakes your best bet is Lemoyne, specifically the Bayou, full of snakes

The Panthers are actually rather easy: Florida Panthers like to spawn for me in the little swampy peninsula West of Lagras ( where the little wooden bridges and moonshiner shacks/ dock are). Just go there at night

For normal Panthers, go to the woods southeast of the Braithwaithe estate at night. Full of panthers

The last snake is a bitch and a half to get, because it only spawns outside Armadillo and is rather rare. Use your horse to pinpoint one

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Zesty posted:

Is this supposed to be a dig? You don't see how the two thoughts "Empty sessions would be boring" and "cheaters are bad" are compatible?
I guess you could've just helped him instead of telling him how to play. :shrug:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I wish it was easier to see the Naturalist task status for an animal. Maybe a toggle that when you target an animal you see what's left to do in a little popup. The current method does not encourage me to pursue these tasks.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Dick Trauma posted:

I wish it was easier to see the Naturalist task status for an animal. Maybe a toggle that when you target an animal you see what's left to do in a little popup. The current method does not encourage me to pursue these tasks.

That'd be nice but I just really wish selling samples was better than it was. If you have two of each animal in a category and sell both of them at once you can only stamp and finish your collection once. It's kind of a puzzling way to do things, especially because collector already handles things better.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
Do you get anything for completing an entry though? Other than the money and xp for the sample or the pelt does tracking or photographing the animals do anything?

Edit: obviously tracking to help follow, but going from tracked 0 to tracked 1 or whatever actually do anything?

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

If you get samples of all animals in a category you get a cash bonus. Obviously higher for legendary categories but they start around an ~$80 bonus IIRC.

\/ :same: never had anything suspect on Xbox lobbies, ever.

fennesz fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Aug 9, 2020

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Nash posted:

Do you get anything for completing an entry though? Other than the money and xp for the sample or the pelt does tracking or photographing the animals do anything?

Edit: obviously tracking to help follow, but going from tracked 0 to tracked 1 or whatever actually do anything?

Balm for the soul!

Feel bad for all the PC folk who have to deal with cheater nonsense. It's why I got and stuck with the PS4 version. I don't trust Rockstar to deal with the cheater problem.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Jimbot posted:

Balm for the soul!

Feel bad for all the PC folk who have to deal with cheater nonsense. It's why I got and stuck with the PS4 version. I don't trust Rockstar to deal with the cheater problem.

Completely agree on this

GTA Online and the rampant fuckery on pc taught me a big "no thanks" to PC rockstar games

I don't care how nice the graphics look

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

There's a belt buckle award for completing journal entries for 90 unique animals. That looks like the only award for being a completionist with the compendium.

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

Yeah as much as I like playing on PC I will always play a rockstar game on console. GTA online on PC is a nightmare. I just hope when the ps5 comes out that they'll continue to support rdo on PS4. I don't want to buy a first generation ps5.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
The firewall/GTAO-solo-mod thing was having issues for me, where the session would be solo for a while, and then would be merged into another server or something and welp no mo' solo.

This one (which Rockstar will likely put a urgent rush patch together to "fix") worked like a charm. Didn't try the "match strings to allow friends in" at this time, because I'm your basic troubled loner with no one to play with. <shrug>

https://www.reddit.com/r/RedDeadOnline/comments/i5i9ye/a_way_to_solo_lobby_every_time_no_need_for_other/

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Cage posted:

I guess you could've just helped him instead of telling him how to play. :shrug:

If it was just about giving him the info, you wouldn't have attempted doing a gotcha that didn't have anything to do with it.

Let go of that grudge, Cage.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Aug 10, 2020

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Well poo poo, I guess assholes can kill the legendary animal in the protection free roam mission. So, uh, I guess try to not wander far from them and see if you can stop the jerkass from doing it?

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
I wanna play RDO but RDO clearly doesn't want to be played.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Probably just nonsense, but I've had very little connectivity issues when I re-join a posse. Maybe try that if you're getting the error loop over and over.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Zesty posted:

Cheaters are bad, but this game would be bad if there weren't other players to grief interact with.

My friends and I have been really enjoying the game now that we figured out private lobbies.

Inverted Sphere
Aug 19, 2013

Ygolonac posted:

The firewall/GTAO-solo-mod thing was having issues for me, where the session would be solo for a while, and then would be merged into another server or something and welp no mo' solo.

This one (which Rockstar will likely put a urgent rush patch together to "fix") worked like a charm. Didn't try the "match strings to allow friends in" at this time, because I'm your basic troubled loner with no one to play with. <shrug>

https://www.reddit.com/r/RedDeadOnline/comments/i5i9ye/a_way_to_solo_lobby_every_time_no_need_for_other/

You are a gentleman and a scholar, this worked perfectly. Now I just need them to fix it so I can actually unlock Trader! (Sent in a ticket start of last week, got told it was being escalated to a different department the next day aaaand radio silence since then. I really don't want to have to totally remake my character to unlock two of the roles.)

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Capn Beeb posted:

My friends and I have been really enjoying the game now that we figured out private lobbies.

Using the poker invite method? That's what my friends have been doing.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Zesty posted:

If it was just about giving him the info, you wouldn't have attempted doing a gotcha that didn't have anything to do with it.

Let go of that grudge, Cage.

Just like helpin people. :shrug:

Cage fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Aug 10, 2020

Scherloch
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah!
Doing the daily challenge of visiting both Saint Denis and Colter within an hour, I fast traveled to Colter, and after getting credit for dropping by, I fast traveled to my camp. Just as it fades out, the game notifies me that there's a legendary animal nearby. Well gently caress. Hit Alt+F4, then relaunch the game. It loads me into Colter, and whaddya know? A legendary animal is nearby.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

I got my first Legendary Animal in the wild during a moonshine delivery.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Maybe now that one of the Hausers is gone they can probably take those hundreds of millions of dollars not being funneled to the top to pay for some actual QA and a dev team to work on their patches instead of unpaid interns. This latest patch completely broke the PS4 version. Auto-aim doesn't work, no animal spawn, no NPCs spawn, horse has a 50/50 chance of not showing up. It's a real shitshow.

At least got a couple weeks of some solid RDO before Rockstar went and broke it again.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

You hear people say 'the patch broke the game on ps4' but you don't believe it until you crash 3 times in a row within 5 mins of starting.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Jimbot posted:

Maybe now that one of the Hausers is gone they can probably take those hundreds of millions of dollars not being funneled to the top to pay for some actual QA and a dev team to work on their patches instead of unpaid interns. This latest patch completely broke the PS4 version. Auto-aim doesn't work, no animal spawn, no NPCs spawn, horse has a 50/50 chance of not showing up. It's a real shitshow.

At least got a couple weeks of some solid RDO before Rockstar went and broke it again.

I do find it funny that the exclusive content usually seems to make the PS4 just the test branch. Fortunately Rockstar usually has the big issues fixed after a month goes by.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Another Bill posted:

You hear people say 'the patch broke the game on ps4' but you don't believe it until you crash 3 times in a row within 5 mins of starting.

Normally I take the patch complaining with a grain of salt, but yeah this is the worst I have ever seen it run on PS4 since launch. Normally you get disconnection errors but I was getting full on blue screen app crashes which never happens.

And it's a double kick in the pants because this is on the heels of the game running the best I had ever seen it run.

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

Yea, this patch is crazy. I managed to break out a couple dailies, but then it started crashing every 0.5-2 minutes on me.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
I haven't tried it on the current patch yet, but the only way I've gotten around crash issues in RDO on PS4 in the past was to use my phone's mobile-hotspot feature. It was the only way I could connect to the game for quite a while. I think a lot of the connection and disconnect issues may have to due to with internet providers (Comcast). If anyone is having disconnect issues, maybe try using your phone as a hotspot if it's allowed. Given :rockstar:'s history, it may not work, but it's still an option to pursue.

Inverted Sphere
Aug 19, 2013
Yeah it's uh, kind of surreal just how much the patch today broke the game. Usually I roll my eyes at all the "THE GAME IS LITERALLY UNPLAYABLE" complaints online but it sounds like for once that's actually not an overstatement. I'm lucky enough to be on the PC version which seems to have avoided the worst of it but even so, it seems like there's far more stuff broken or acting strange than stuff that actually seems to be fixed.

And the PS4 version sound legitimately so unstable and broken that it's actually not feasible to play right now.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
On PS4 and the update today seriously broke so loving much. My horse only sometimes comes when I whistle, and sometimes when it does I can't move around on it. Can't do a moonshine sell. Disconnected every five minutes or so, maximum. Yeah. Closest to "literally unplayable" the game has ever been for me. Jesus loving christ, how do they even do this?

Edit: by disconnected, I mean straight up crashes. Also, like, missions are hosed, and wagons are frozen if you look at them... what even
https://youtu.be/1fyYF0RcUXY

Terra-da-loo! fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Aug 11, 2020

winter.mute
Jan 5, 2010
Yup, PS4 is a complete mess now. A couple instant disconnects when starting the game... finally got it going. Fast travel to moonshine shack... end up on top of the houseboat across the road from the Lagras fast travel point. Ride over to the shack... can’t enter and it does that thing where all actions are disabled until you walk far enough away from the shack.

I just picked 5 bullrush to keep my daily streak alive and logged out. :rockstar:

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Yeah, I saw all the complaints about patch-broken game all day long on Reddit, and was worried about the PC side. (Even though I'd be up around 5 AM Pacific loving around and had no issues.) Got home, logged in, worked fine... solo still solos, and managed to get the Emerald Wolf and the Cumberland Forest-area elk.

Now if only I could finagle the Teca and Sun gators to spawn - nailed the Teca last week, but harvested it instead of killing. :smith:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Saw there was a daily to get trader supplies with at least 5 minutes left on the timer. Start the mission but he wants me to rob a store or something. Not interested. Reload the camp and get a mission to rescue a broken down trader wagon. The wagon is very far away, and about five minutes into my high speed ride I get an alert that thieves have stolen the supplies and I've failed. Awesome.

Reload the camp and get a mission to hunt a white tail deer for a trader. First I accidentally shoot and haul a pronghorn deer. Whoops. Abandon that carcass and go looking for white tail. I find one, kill it and start riding back to the trader. I begin getting messages to "get back on the horse" and hunt a whitetail deer. Get back to the trader and there's no dropzone. Drop it anyway. No good. Abandon the carcass and go looking for another whitetail. Repeated alerts to "get back on the horse."

Quit.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Dick Trauma posted:

Reload the camp and get a mission to hunt a white tail deer for a trader. First I accidentally shoot and haul a pronghorn deer. Whoops. Abandon that carcass and go looking for white tail. I find one, kill it and start riding back to the trader. I begin getting messages to "get back on the horse" and hunt a whitetail deer. Get back to the trader and there's no dropzone. Drop it anyway. No good. Abandon the carcass and go looking for another whitetail. Repeated alerts to "get back on the horse."

Quit.

I've had a white tail mission where a wounded white tail showed up on the mini map (icon like a white paw) and I had to go and get that specific animal. I also got the "Get back on your horse" messages before I found the wounded animal this trader had the hots for.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Huh, I'd been seeing comments about having to hunt The One Specific Example Of The Desired Animal lately, but have never run into it myself. Apparently, the [s]victim[/x] target may be marked with a gold pawprint on the map when you get near, like a Legendary. The key to knowing when you have the specific one is always that it'll give you the gold trail to the trader, you won't get that if it's not the right one.

Never had thieves take the cargo from the broken wagon myself, it's always been gang members and if you don't clear 'em quickly, one will usually grab the bag and hyperjet out for a failure. Stealing the supplies, I've rarely had the bag just sitting there with nobody around, so it was grab'n'go. (Once was a ride 200-ish yards to Macfarlane, take the unattended bag, and return. I could have finished it on foot with five minutes left.)

My favorite one is the "missing wagon" one, because I can always use more wolf parts. :unsmigghh:

Of course, the most hated one is "jack the giant "shoot me" tank-wagon of chemicals" that starts leaking if you roll at more than walking pace... moonshine runs are less fragile than that drat thing.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Xbox is just as broken. Undid literally all of the improvements they made with the patch before that, and then some.

Straight up not worth playing right now if you're on console.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Freudian slippers posted:

I've had a white tail mission where a wounded white tail showed up on the mini map (icon like a white paw) and I had to go and get that specific animal. I also got the "Get back on your horse" messages before I found the wounded animal this trader had the hots for.

:rockstar::argh: