Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

We all talked about it and decided against signing up. He's disappointed, but he said he wasn't surprised.

He's been so smart and patient during this whole thing. I have a Goode Kidde.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
I watched the mighty ducks last night, and I feel like my first game back will look a lot like their first game in the movie. I fully expect to be falling over and on the verge of puking after my second shift.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
hell I might just do that getting winded from putting my gear and skates on.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Everybody is going to question if they have covid on that first shift.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
I’ll need one of those oxygen tanks they give to football players on the bench

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Duke Chin posted:

hell I might just do that getting winded from putting my gear and skates on.

Getting the bag from the garage to the car

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Oh hey, my rink wants to start leagues again.

Highlights from their "plan:"
- Face shields may help not spread infection. Oh hey, we can sell you one!
- We can single-serve beers (not pitchers) for probably $7 each.
- You have to get dressed in the 100+ degree parking lot.
- No spitting on the ice. Instant suspension. But we have a trash can on each bench your whole team can spit into instead.
- Debating limiting rosters to 10 to help with distancing. If we do this, you'll have to pay us way more since you paid based on a roster of 18.
- If we don't do the 10 player thing, and if you have less than the max roster size, we'll auto-assign free agents to your roster and give you no say in it. You know, players you could have added to your roster already but didn't because they're douchers. Yeah, we'll automatically put those guys on your team.
- You can still request a refund, we're super flexible. We'll still take 15% of your league fee despite no services rendered so far.

Of course, most of my team is saying "lol gently caress no," and predictably, there's the one guy who called us all sissies.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Lol. I kind of felt like you were listening in on the last call I attended from our league ... in the beginning of June. I stopped calling in when I sensed how ridiculous it was.

My favorite part was the grossly misleading use of "statistics" when our GM said that 95% of teams answered the survey saying they wanted to play regardless of what the conditions are. We have 80+ teams in our league. When someone asked how many responses he got, he said he only received something like 16. I rolled my eyes so hard I thought I was going to go blind. He was definitely trying to peer pressure people into agreeing to play which I thought was extra lovely. It was very clear, the squeaky wheels wanting to play were the only ones who responded. The call was very different.

We covered the same stuff like wearing bubbles, no locker rooms, no waiting in the lobby, dressing in the parking lot or at home, limiting roster sizes to 10, putting social distance markers on the bench, wearing masks, etc. They were trying to figure out how best to do this and the "solutions" they were coming up with were ridiculous. Talking about how teams should be responsible for reporting any covid symptoms or holding those players accountable if they test positive ... I was dying. They also proposed free agents to substitute any players who don't feel like playing during COVID. The complexity of these plans and the mental gymnastics was shocking. This is coming from a league that struggles to schedule games and book arenas on a good day. If professional sports can't do it successfully with all their money and resources, there's no way a beer league in Seattle will be able to do it. Someone will DEFINITELY get covid.

Any sort of reluctance came across like we just didn't want to play hockey bad enough. I've got buddies who are in the same boat. They want to play hockey so bad they don't care what, if any, precautions are in place.

I gave up. I don't expect a refund at all and never really did. Luckily most of our season was finished but it would be nice to play those games when things do finally open back up. I just want them to sit tight until we get to the appropriate phase to play again instead of trying to force it.

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

We want the ball & We're going to score

Verman posted:

I gave up. I don't expect a refund at all and never really did. Luckily most of our season was finished but it would be nice to play those games when things do finally open back up. I just want them to sit tight until we get to the appropriate phase to play again instead of trying to force it.
Out captains have kind of faded off the calls as well. The restrictions aren't lightening (even thought the YMCA is opening up as of next week!?). It's been 5 months of no hockey now. I get it 3 months ago and the itch and I was "let's go!". I'm more now of "gently caress it, see you in 2021 .. maybe". We're mostly bummed about Winthrop tourney not likely happening.

Our team also still does a Sunday Night team zoom call at like 9pm when we would be playing. Come with drinks, share B.S. stories on life. What are the updates on the 2 weddings being planned/delayed, etc. It's not much but that was 50% of our hockey games anyway but with less exercise.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Tank44 posted:

Out captains have kind of faded off the calls as well. The restrictions aren't lightening (even thought the YMCA is opening up as of next week!?). It's been 5 months of no hockey now. I get it 3 months ago and the itch and I was "let's go!". I'm more now of "gently caress it, see you in 2021 .. maybe". We're mostly bummed about Winthrop tourney not likely happening.

Our team also still does a Sunday Night team zoom call at like 9pm when we would be playing. Come with drinks, share B.S. stories on life. What are the updates on the 2 weddings being planned/delayed, etc. It's not much but that was 50% of our hockey games anyway but with less exercise.

Yeah I was sort of hoping they would just cancel the rest of the season, skip summer and maybe see what happens for winter, but as this point 2021 is more likely. Also yes, hadn't even been thinking of Winthrop yet but holy poo poo that sucks. I'm convinced it won't happen this year. No way Winthrop would want a bunch of disgusting hockey players coming in during covid. They don't even seem to want our winter tourist dollars without covid.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

a mysterious cloak posted:

Getting the bag from the garage to the car

Putting gear in the bag.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009

Duke Chin posted:

Putting gear in the bag.

I’m already out of breath from reading this thread

Apparently Stinky Socks is coming back next week, face coverings required anytime you aren’t on the ice, and both centers in a faceoff have to have face coverings on during the faceoff itself. However, the reason the policy says face coverings and not masks is because they are now selling official stinky socks face coverings in the store! Except, they’re wick away gaiters which may or may not be the kind that make you more likely to spread covid. Hopefully I remember how to skate in 2021.

V for Vegans fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Aug 13, 2020

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001

V for Vegans posted:

I’m already out of breath from reading this thread

Apparently Stinky Socks is coming back next week, face coverings required anytime you aren’t on the ice, and both centers in a faceoff have to have face coverings on during the faceoff itself. However, the reason the policy says face coverings and not masks is because they are now selling official stinky socks face coverings in the store! Except, they’re wick away gaiters which may or may not be the kind that make you more likely to spread covid. Hopefully I remember how to skate in 2021.

I wonder if the masks will be as ill fitting as the jerseys.
I still haven't played yet, each week I sign up to play and each week its cancelled. Wash and repeat.
Meanwhile, there are underground fight club games have been going on at a rink nearby that no one is supposed to talk about

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

EvilTwig posted:

I wonder if the masks will be as ill fitting as the jerseys.
I still haven't played yet, each week I sign up to play and each week its cancelled. Wash and repeat.
Meanwhile, there are underground fight club games have been going on at a rink nearby that no one is supposed to talk about

Do the stinky socks jerseys fit poorly? How, like fit small or fit large? I rarely play with stinky socks but now that they are requiring jerseys and they are selling them at a pretty good discount I thought I should pick one up but was kind of unsure to go with large or xlarge (I don't wear shoulder pads). I would normally wear an L but I'm sporting some quarantine weight right now so I'm kinda in between sizes and plus even with the discount with tax and shipping it was still close to like $50 for a jersey for a league I'll probably play in 3-5 times a year.

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001

bigbillystyle posted:

Do the stinky socks jerseys fit poorly? How, like fit small or fit large? I rarely play with stinky socks but now that they are requiring jerseys and they are selling them at a pretty good discount I thought I should pick one up but was kind of unsure to go with large or xlarge (I don't wear shoulder pads). I would normally wear an L but I'm sporting some quarantine weight right now so I'm kinda in between sizes and plus even with the discount with tax and shipping it was still close to like $50 for a jersey for a league I'll probably play in 3-5 times a year.

The old reversible ones are HOT, its like theres a layer of insulation between the two sides. Total oven mitt.Most people refuse to wear them in the summer. Don't get one of these.
The newer split set has a shoelace material around the lower seam that can be cut out. This is probably there to make it harder to rip, but ends up making it unstretchy, so if you did wear shoulder pads, it tends to get hung up and also tight around the waist.They also run a little short compared to other makes, so it ends up tucking in around the waist. I'd go the larger of the sizes you normally get.

Sublimated jerseys are cheap now, why they don't just contract out with a discount manufacturer I have no idea

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
I hate my reversible jersey, it’s like they sewed two jerseys together and just traps all the heat in. The only time I’ve worn one of the non-reversible jerseys was when I forgot mine and had to borrow one from Wendy (the small woman who plays who is very vocal about her teammates being out of position, you’d know her if you’ve played with her) but I think she wears a small so it was a short sleeve jersey on me. The plus side was I definitely wasn’t too warm that game.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I don't like my reversible at all for the same reasons, plus it's not sewed together right at the very bottom so it always catches on my shoulder pads when I'm putting it on

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

So the normal jersey sounds pretty awful. Maybe I'll just hold off even though it is discounted for now. Thanks for the tips.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Our season is getting ready to start, and it looks like a solid 25% of the players are sitting out.

This sucks.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Just found out someone played at our rink then tested positive a couple days later, but didn’t bother telling the rink.

This is why I’m opting out. gently caress sake.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Kings facility had an outbreak and is shut down totally for 2 weeks.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I know a few of my teammates are its no worse than the flu. So I could see one of them doing something similar. Luckily, it looks like the rink management will probably keep pushing back opening so I doubt I'll be playing this year.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Yeah, I definitely have serious trust issues with people now. Between the truthers and anti mask people and just generally stupid people, screw it.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
you guys don't trust the idiots who try to fight you over nothing every week to take your health into consideration?

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009

prom candy posted:

you guys don't trust the idiots who try to fight you over nothing every week to take your health into consideration?

My normal rink is far too close to New Hampshire to trust the people I play with to be taking this seriously.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
my private shinny group had an email chain going around on the weekend asking what everyone wants to do. most people are basically saying hell yeah i want to play but also worried about a second wave and what happens to our money in that case. one guy let us know that the first wave was actually in oct/nov and what we experienced in the spring was the second wave, so that's a relief.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

prom candy posted:

my private shinny group had an email chain going around on the weekend asking what everyone wants to do. most people are basically saying hell yeah i want to play but also worried about a second wave and what happens to our money in that case. one guy let us know that the first wave was actually in oct/nov and what we experienced in the spring was the second wave, so that's a relief.

If anything like my rink, they'll keep your money hostage/spend it :v:

Apparently most teams want to play, according to our HD. I find that incredibly suspect given that 90% of my team wants to hold out, but who knows. Since our county is off the CA naughty list now, I can't see my rink putting off the season for much longer, unfortunately.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Our league started back up in mid-July, and is going to be finishing up next week. I expect them to start back up in October like normal, based on the new spread out dates of a new payment plan system. However, based on the fact that a decent amount of people are not playing this fall, the local admins floated the idea of combining teams and letting people opt out which allows them to stay on the roster for the following season. Since if you don't pay, you're off the roster and have to go through the process of being reevaluated if you want to re-join. So, it's a tiny compromise, but everything is staying the same more or less.

I'm not playing until a vaccine is out, so it's interesting trying to captain a team remotely and put things in place for the players on the team that are still playing.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
you guys have.... evaluations??

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

bewbies posted:

Yes. Hockey North America (the league that runs my local league in Cleveland, and a half-dozen other regions) has strict skill level breakdowns for divisions. Players who want to join have to be evaluated at the beginning of these season at private drop-ins the league runs so that obvious ringers don't make it into a lower skill division than what they are supposed to be at. We turn in rosters each game during warmups to scorekeepers that are supposed to verify the players are actually on the roster. Late in the season, a few teams that are out of it sometimes bring in non-rostered players and have them wear the jersey of a rostered player, but by the time it happens it usually doesn't affect playoffs for anyone. It's highly organized and I can't see myself playing in any other kind of league.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

bewbies posted:

I think my evaluation was "Can you mostly stand up on skates? Cool, you get center. You need the skating practice."

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009

I think my evaluation was "Can you mostly stand up on skates? Cool, you get center. You need the skating practice."

Mine was “oh you can skate backwards? Welcome to defense where your shots won’t hit the net without bouncing.”

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

If anything like my rink, they'll keep your money hostage/spend it :v:

Apparently most teams want to play, according to our HD. I find that incredibly suspect given that 90% of my team wants to hold out, but who knows. Since our county is off the CA naughty list now, I can't see my rink putting off the season for much longer, unfortunately.

I skated in SJ today. Everyone has to wear a mask on ice. Sucks with the humidity right now. Felt totally gassed immediately.

Raveen
Jul 18, 2004
Heads up if you bought some of the higher end CCM skates within the last year you might be able to get a free set of step steel. "JetSpeed FT2 PRO; JetSpeed FT490; Super Tacks AS3 PRO; Super Tacks AS3; and Ribcor 80k." are eligible skates and you need to send in a pic of your receipt and orginal box. I bought some FT 490s last October , had the store where i bought them print a receipt yesterday since i lost mine. Applied last night and got a confirmation email this morning.

https://www.ccmrebate.com/

Raveen fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Aug 28, 2020

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I have some JetSpeed skates from 2 years ago and they're loving awful.

Almost worse than:

Chemmy posted:

I skated in SJ today. Everyone has to wear a mask on ice.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Aug 28, 2020

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Why didn't you like the Jetspeeds?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Skated on them for almost a full year and never got used to the boot. Said gently caress it and went back to Bauer. Sucks cause I paid like $450 for them.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Ouch, yeah that would suck. Did you go back to Vapors?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Ouch, yeah that would suck. Did you go back to Vapors?

Since I bought my last pair of Vapors ~10 years ago, I guess they've gotten more narrow recently, so I bought Supremes. Had an issue with the balls of my feet being squeezed a bit, so once I had them punched out, they feel great.

On another note, my league is starting Sep 14 with all of the teams who didn't opt out. Looks like my team is out until March or whenever the next season starts. Kinda sucks, but there's too many dumbasses at my rink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Since I bought my last pair of Vapors ~10 years ago, I guess they've gotten more narrow recently, so I bought Supremes. Had an issue with the balls of my feet being squeezed a bit, so once I had them punched out, they feel great.

I had the same thing happen a few years ago. I'd only ever worn Bauers and then my feet were way too fat somehow and I went with CCMs. I wore them for like a year and a half and out of nowhere they started giving me like debilitating, painful lace bite. I tried everything to find a solution to it and couldn't. I ended up going back to the Vapors that are like red and black with black Tuuks and they somehow fit great and have been pain free ever since. I don't know maybe my feet were fat just the one day I tried skates on?