Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Listening through some random tracks on youtube... Man when that beat kicks in on the third phase of the JENOVA fight I get the big tingles!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

I just hope they do something with the gold saucer music because that poo poo was incredibly annoying

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

TK-42-1 posted:

I just hope they do something with the gold saucer music because that poo poo was incredibly annoying

post ur favourite gold saucer remixes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qjbnD59HUc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkedqFV5Ss8

Really they could just reuse this one though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIEeKI0qYII

Moola fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Aug 8, 2020

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

fridge corn posted:

I'm kinda low-key really irritated by the fact that they use the Main Theme of Final Fantasy 7 so liberally like when you're walking around sector 7 slums and stuff. I dont think you ever hear that track in the original until you leave Midgar and hearing it for the first time is a big part of that moment imo

So you wanted them to not use the FF7 theme until VIIIR part 2?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Schwartzcough posted:

So you wanted them to not use the FF7 theme until VIIIR part 2?

No not necessarily but they could have reserved it for something more poignant than sector 7 slums

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
While I do like how they implemented the theme into the Sector 7 slums and gave it a more homey feel, I do sorta miss the quiet desperation Anxious Heart gave to Midgar in general.

What I’m saying is that Anxious Heart was criminally underutilized in VIIR. When I think about the first quarter of VII, that’s the piece that plays in my mind.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Man the pro pull up challenge is hard, I really want another champion belt. I am getting super close but Jules seems to barely mess up in the 2nd phase. The worst part is if you mess up and give up, you go through a long rear end loading screen so the whole process is so slow.

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?

Ulio posted:

Man the pro pull up challenge is hard, I really want another champion belt. I am getting super close but Jules seems to barely mess up in the 2nd phase. The worst part is if you mess up and give up, you go through a long rear end loading screen so the whole process is so slow.

Ignore your opponent, whether he falls down or not does not change anything and he is only there as a distraction. You need to get a certain number of pull-ups (I think 44).

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

#1 thing about the pull-up minigame is to NOT mash the square button on immediate react because it comes out earlier than the second-to-last button, causing you to slip every time.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
as someone who cleared it in one try i maintain that the Great Secret is to stop looking at the screen once the prompts fade, if you just focus on your thumb hitting the buttons and periodically glance up to make sure the mash prompt isn't coming back up then the lack of visual stimulus will make you gently caress up way less

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold
Yes I’m talking specifically about the wall market song and it’s variations. Probably the worst song in the game IMO. Simplistic baby melody, off-pitch sliding nonsense.

The rest of the new stuff was good to great.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I feel like the new Wall Market song fits the new Wall Market better than the old song, and they used the old one where appropriate.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

gently caress hell house forever. What an awful fight

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
it's good, actually,

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

fridge corn posted:

Nope it owns. Please turn in your gamer card

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Sorry, you'll have to prise it from my clammy sweaty gamer hands

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Arkage posted:

Yes I’m talking specifically about the wall market song and it’s variations. Probably the worst song in the game IMO. Simplistic baby melody, off-pitch sliding nonsense.

The rest of the new stuff was good to great.

Hell yeah, I constantly leave out an important 30% of my opinion in most of my posts but I've got a good 80% chance of figuring out what other people are saying!

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

Hell yeah, I constantly leave out an important 30% of my opinion in most of my posts but I've got a good 80% chance of figuring out what other people are saying!

I mean, they were specifically quoting a post about the changes to Wall Market, and they responded that they liked the changes except for the music. It's pretty drat obvious from context that they were talking about the Wall Market music. It's not like they were hiding the ball, here.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

fridge corn posted:

Hell House was a super tough fight for me as well the first time

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Hell House is a drag when you go into it without the right materia setup because nothing it does is inherently dangerous enough to kill your party, but without the right elemental materia it just turns into a huge slog.

My first kill took like 30 minutes because I went in without all of the necessary elemental materia and I could outlast everything it threw at me. :shepicide:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Ok ok finalllly starting this game. Life happened and yeah anyway.

Anything i should know as a first timer? Any settings to mess with? Have a ps4 pro

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Anything i should know as a first timer? Any settings to mess with? Have a ps4 pro

Off the top of my head:

Learn to use both of Cloud's stances. Punisher mode counters enemies while you hold L1, and it really helps against aggressive melee-focused goons (especially good on humans).
Very early on, you'll get an Assess materia that scans enemies. Put that on and never take it off. Scan everything you find, as it'll more often than not give you good info on weaknesses and how to stagger enemies, and it's also part of the Battle Report side quest.
Tifa's the best when it comes to building up the stagger gauge. When an enemy's staggered, you get a damage multiplier proportional to the gauge %, so figuring out how to work with it is essential against the bigger bosses.
The game expects you to make use of all basic elemental magics (Fire, Aero, Blizzard, Thunder) to exploit said weaknesses and staggers. Do your best to keep those materia equipped across your party at all times.
Aside from a few summons found in the story, a chunk of those are earned via completing the Battle Reports. To get the strongest summon in the game, you'll need to do all 20 Reports.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Pennfalath posted:

Ignore your opponent, whether he falls down or not does not change anything and he is only there as a distraction. You need to get a certain number of pull-ups (I think 44).

Ok thanks ya I notice in the first phase he almost always just gets 18? I managed to get 24 once but botched the 2nd phase up.

Oxxidation posted:

as someone who cleared it in one try i maintain that the Great Secret is to stop looking at the screen once the prompts fade, if you just focus on your thumb hitting the buttons and periodically glance up to make sure the mash prompt isn't coming back up then the lack of visual stimulus will make you gently caress up way less

Ya I actually just focus on the pattern on the dpad and saying it out loud helped me.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Brunom1 has some really solid tips, I would also add a few more things as someone who just started the game a few weeks ago.
- At first you should be fine just mainly controlling Cloud but later switch party members as much as you can during combat because the enemy will in 99% of the case aggro on the character you are controlling.
-If you are not switching a lot make sure to press x which pauses the game and you can issue commands to party members you are not controlling. I've seen in fights where I stick to 1 character, the party members not using any skills/abilities they don't seem to be programmed to work on their own unless you attach some specific materias to them but I find those just lazy solutions. You can give them more damage and just take few seconds to issue commands each time their atbs filled.
-Do all the side quests when you are given the opportunity, they are mostly monster hunts or fetch quests but still have some fun writing and really good rewards.
-Try to equip your party in a balanced way, like don't go full magic build on everyone or full glass cannon no utility.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

All good stuff, exactly the info I was looking for, thanks! :)

Can’t wait to start this game. I’ll definitely be posting here actively

I checked the OP: is there a discord?

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Aug 10, 2020

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Also, you can fairly quickly judge enemy weaknesses at a glance. Beasts are weak to Ice, Flyers to Wind, Humans to Fire, Robots to Thunder. Even most bosses follow this pattern. If something is taking a super long time to kill... it's probably because you're doing something wrong. The game is a lot like FFXIII (And all FFs really) in which you can kill most things by just slamming your face against it, but it will be much quicker when you've learned how to fight it.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Takings notes now on all these posts

Got the digital copy on sale, figured I’m a big enough fan. If anyone wants to buy my deluxe edition without the codes LMK

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Takings notes now on all these posts

Got the digital copy on sale, figured I’m a big enough fan. If anyone wants to buy my deluxe edition without the codes LMK

Shooting you a PM about that deluxe edition.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Most people prefer the camera pulled out a bit farther than the default, especially during combat, so you may want to mess with that a bit.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Schwartzcough posted:

I mean, they were specifically quoting a post about the changes to Wall Market, and they responded that they liked the changes except for the music. It's pretty drat obvious from context that they were talking about the Wall Market music. It's not like they were hiding the ball, here.

Well you might be making good posts that people understand all the time but since two not-trolls jumped in saying 'Naw, the music rules' I'm taking this one as a win.

Yes it's small but I take them when I can get them. :colbert:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The ATB bar builds through attacking and builds very slowly otherwise, especially when that character isn't being actively controlled, so even with no particular need to switch characters, do it anyway and get one solid combo off so you can have that character ready to go when you need them.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

For the guy who said Biggs = Charlie Sheen...

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Not seeing it.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
he looks more like him from the side profile

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
I mean the facial structure may be a bit different, but the red headband, spiked black hair and small tuft coming down in the center is basically drawing the parallel.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I guess I can see it if I squint.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
He also speaks with Charlie Sheen's exact cadence and tone

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Still in chapter 14 finishing the side quests, finally managed to beat Jules in pull ups and my heart was legit racing.

I went back to Corneo's house to get some loot and there is a guy locked behind the door. Is that Corneo there himself?

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.

Ulio posted:

Still in chapter 14 finishing the side quests, finally managed to beat Jules in pull ups and my heart was legit racing.

I went back to Corneo's house to get some loot and there is a guy locked behind the door. Is that Corneo there himself?

If you can hear him but haven't found him yet, you can get back to the basement by going through Corneo's office, the room where he made the selection from your three party members. That will answer your question.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

uhm, guys.

I guess the FF7 butterfinger DLC is free now?

Final Fantasy VII Remake DLC:
Corneo's Armlet
Superstar Belt
Mako Crystal
Midgar Bangle
Shinra Bangle

PS Store link

Slickdeals Thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I was searching for those on the PS store yesterday and couldn't find them because it's hot garbage, so thanks for posting the actual link!