Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
forget it, it's Paul

Happy_Misanthrope fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Aug 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

NewFatMike posted:

I will lose my mind if Raja Koduri becomes Intel CEO. That would be such a loving trip.

"We're happy to announce the first CPU with LEDs built in to the core itself! IT'S ALL ABOUT THE PACKAGING, PEOPLE!"

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Ok Comboomer posted:

If we’re thinking about the same wild Ampere claims, those were debunked.

Yeah, I guess I just want to hear something out of the Intel situation. Like some explanation for how things got to where they are today, so gradually and obviously for years and years, and yet so sudden.

They’re such a monolith, it feels like we’re watching an ‘early 80s IBM’ moment. They haven’t quite hit the deluge yet but it feels like we’ve passed the point of no return and we’re just a couple of years out from the payoff.

MLID isn't so much a leaker but more of an outside 'analyst's who makes use of public information to make predictions about coming trends. His steady growth over the past year means that he has potential legitimate sources reaching out to him but it seems like he makes a decent effort to sort through the worst of the misinformation. His presentation on leaks is more of a 'this is what I have been told, here is what I think about it' rather than Adored's approach of 'this is what I have been told, run wild!'

Ad for Intel, isnt this just fundamentally a node issue where 10nm fell flat on its face? Would we be where we are are at if Icelake Desktop launched in June 2019?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Whatever the case, I've always been of the opinion that C-level executives are not interchangable. Finance stays in their lane, otherwise they just cut costs they don't understand. Marketing stays in their lane, or everything becomes spin. Unless the executive has spent any time actually making the thing that the company's known for, they're doomed to fail.

And as far as I know, Bob Swan has never NOT been a finance lizard.
:allears: which one was Otellini?

DrDork posted:

And that's again assuming ARM chips with performance that don't exist (except Apple).
hey you know who had an amazing ARM solution like 15 years ago those nice XScale folks where'd they go

WhyteRyce posted:

If I had a nickel for everytime I had to sit through a "this is going to be different and here is why" or "this is a culture change" reorg presentation
my favorite mini-one of these was a team that came over from AMD and was going to make a New Core without All The Bullshit. they spent a chunk of their presentation specifically making GBS threads on validation, saying projects failed because validators tried to make things "science projects" and assured folks they'd just be doing the dumbest possible thing. anyway I can't imagine why they didn't attract rockstar talent to that one.

priznat posted:

Maybe hackers could do us a favour and improve the ITP suite
lol

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

JawnV6 posted:

a New Core without All The Bullshit

I laughed really hard at this

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

JawnV6 posted:

hey you know who had an amazing ARM solution like 15 years ago those nice XScale folks where'd they go

Intel sold them to Marvell in 2006ish. So, yeah.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

The amount validation gets poo poo on when they find a bug about it not being "valid" and no user would ever hit this and stop wasting people's time later followed by the amount of poo poo validation gets when there is an escape and you need to think of more involved scenarios is very disheartening

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

WhyteRyce posted:

The amount validation gets poo poo on when they find a bug about it not being "valid" and no user would ever hit this and stop wasting people's time later followed by the amount of poo poo validation gets when there is an escape and you need to think of more involved scenarios is very disheartening

Yeah especially with time crunches it always seems like Validation is what is expected to finish in whatever time the parts or firmware release is ready and the communicated release date to the customer.

“All your regressions must complete in a week!”

And then “Why did you not see this artifact that happens after 30 thousand iterations!!”

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Department head: "I'm not giving you more resources and we can't afford to slip the schedule so you have to find a way to work smarter and find ways to eliminate redundant or low value testing"
Department head: "All these customers are mad at us for all these bugs and don't trust our quality I never told you guys to sacrifice quality"
Me: "Bitch you literally just made me sit through some half-day training on the program management triangle"

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

WhyteRyce posted:

Me: "Bitch you literally just made me sit through some half-day training on the program management triangle"

Department Head: "Yes, but in this company we have chosen to reinterpret the iron triangle as meaning that we need to be able to push in all three directions at once, and you're salaried so the only thing that may have to flex is how much time you get to spend at home each day."

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I just did an hour of US export compliance training despite not being in the US.

Bonus: now I can defer any requests from the shanghai office to ensure they have all their ECP paperwork in order.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

DrDork posted:

"you're salaried so the only thing that may have to flex is how much time you get to spend at home each day."

It's amazing how true this is across the entire consulting engineering industry also.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Paul MaudDib posted:

Hmm? I never said I watched the video. If you bothered to read my posts instead of frantically hammering "reply" the second you see my name, you'd notice that it started with "The gotcha with all of these videos is that..." and referenced prices/components that were not related to this particular guy's build. It's pretty clear I'm speaking in generalities and if you didn't pick up on that it's really on you.

lmao, you guys are something else, like are YOU serious here? you're really that upset about someone discussing a topic having only watched similar videos and not that one, specific 20 minute video from a random tuber?

Oh boy what a betrayal of your sacred trust this really has turned out to be :qq:

some people are just crazy obsessed with @'ing me, it's really kind of funny (insert replies that will undoubtedly try to pick me apart word by word to prove I'm totally wrong about... something?)

Oh my god please stop.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

LRADIKAL posted:

Stop it. As usual I can't tell if you are trolling or are really just that silly of a person. You lied about watching the video and dissembled for hundreds of words and you're acting like you don't even understand what happened. Take a break, it's so annoying when you reflexivly dig your heels in like this. You think everyone is so stupid that this poo poo works?

Oh my god please stop.

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

Paul MaudDib posted:

some people are just crazy obsessed with @'ing me, it's really kind of funny (insert replies that will undoubtedly try to pick me apart word by word to prove I'm totally wrong about... something?)
I agree with you that there shouldn't be a 20 minute long video to replace something that can be said in a page or two of words and some graphs. The recent trend in monetizing contents result in videos just over 10 minutes, to be qualified for ads, is terrible.

My personal favorite is dpreview that used to have pages and pages of words for contents are now shifting towards a single 30 minute video. Thankfully all I want is the ISO/dynamic range IQ test which is still in a page format where you can change out the camera models for comparison.

I get that they are trying to make money through youtube because ads are dead. So now I've learned to at least skim the videos by spamming mouse clicks over the time bar to check out the contents. The 30 minute video can be 'viewed' in about 2 minutes and you can even have the video paused!

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

It's very annoying how lots of guides to do anything now are all YouTube poo poo. It's easier to host a 10 minutes 4k video that it is to find find place to throw up 4 pictures

Also I hate that that video is 10 minutes to describe a 15 second process

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
This is why I'm glad I don't work in hardware anymore. At least our excuse in the Infra/Platform world is, "we didn't think of that, we'll push a patch next week/next month/next quarter." Any fuckup in silicon takes uh, substantially longer to fix and revalidate.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Crunchy Black posted:

This is why I'm glad I don't work in hardware anymore. At least our excuse in the Infra/Platform world is, "we didn't think of that, we'll push a patch next week/next month/next quarter." Any fuckup in silicon takes uh, substantially longer to fix and revalidate.

Yeah there are lots of other benefits too like much more modern software tools, quicker project churn which allows you to add enhancements and possibly remove legacy jank, and of course way more companies doing software so a lot more career options.

On the other hand, finding a showstopping silicon bug either in emulation or revA silicon :feelsgood:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Paul MaudDib posted:

Rocket Lake is supposedly end of the year/start of next year. Who knows with covid but so far they haven’t said anything about delays, and if so I’d expect “delays” to be like Q2 2021 and not like “end of 2021/early 2022”.

Ouch.

There's goes the 2020 Holiday Upgrade PC Build Season.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Cygni posted:

I mean the first (and arguably most important) Xe implementation is launching September 2nd so yeah. The Xe is cancelled!!! rumor is horseshit. Even if you give the rumor mongering dorks the benefit of the doubt and say "they MEANT to say discrete Xe", thats also not gonna happen. Intel has firm orders for Xe HPC and already booked the TSMC capacity for it, so i firmly doubt its anywhere near cancelled.

Xe for gamers? Yeah, I could see that getting axed if Intel doesn't think they have the capacity.

Yeah I am guessing Xe will drop dead as a consumer discrete graphics card. Intel will get its money's worth (probably) in improved integrated graphics and HPC sales. I'll be shocked and amazed if they deliver a competitive high end gaming card.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

FuturePastNow posted:

I'll be shocked and amazed if they deliver a competitive high end gaming card.

They absolutely won't, but they also don't really need to in order to make things interesting--I mean, poo poo, AMD hasn't had a compelling "high end" card in what, a decade? If they could make a card that could either compete with NVidia's xx50 in price or power usage (for laptops), they'd likely sell enough to justify further investment.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
AMD seems perfectly content to offer choices in the low-mid range, they have been that way since the 6950. It's where the money is at.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

AMD seems perfectly content to offer choices in the low-mid range, they have been that way since the 6950. It's where the money is at.

They’ve done some absolutely moronic cards like the 295x2 for the high end. You can still get mileage out of a GeForce 970 now, not so much with the 295x2 because it turns out going and making a built in dual GPU nearly a decade after dual GPU basically died in the crib is a terrible idea.

The last AMD card I bought was a low-end one. I don’t think I’ve bought one of their high end ones since the Radeon 9800.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I had a string of AMD GPUs from the 9700, back to Nvidia, 5850, 6970, R9 290, and then to Nvidia for a 1070. I'm a little locked in since I have a true GSync monitor. That's ok, I usually buy about every other generation.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Has there been any good intel on how good the tiger lake chips are for laptops? Figured I'd wait until those were announced in September before getting a new laptop but uncertain if they're supposed to be much of an improvement.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

evilweasel posted:

Has there been any good intel on how good the tiger lake chips are for laptops? Figured I'd wait until those were announced in September before getting a new laptop but uncertain if they're supposed to be much of an improvement.
Every improvement in performance from here-on out and until some major breakthrough has been made will be incremental - something that has been true for more than a decade already.
Unless you're doing micro-benchmarks, you won't notice anything - and perhaps not even then.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

D. Ebdrup posted:

Every improvement in performance from here-on out and until some major breakthrough has been made will be incremental - something that has been true for more than a decade already.
Unless you're doing micro-benchmarks, you won't notice anything - and perhaps not even then.

that's true with raw processor power, but has not been true with graphics and power use which are rather relevant to laptops

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Tiger Lake looks like a big step up in GPU performance over Ice Lake and has lots of cool new things supported, like USB4/TB4/LPDDR5. I dunno if it will be a REVOLUTION!!! but you can tell it’s probably going to get wider adoption than Ice Lake just based on all the laptop sales that are running now to clear inventory.

Also the 8 core part doesn’t launch until 2021 according to rumor, so that probably means the hot as hell 14nm skylake parts are gonna stay in gamer and high end laptops for a few more months, lol

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

evilweasel posted:

if on-board graphics is important to your use-case and for whatever reason you don't want to get an AMD-based laptop, and you're okay with waiting for Tiger Lake, then I would wait - what little we've seen of Xe indicates that it's a significant step up from Intel UHD graphics, and is at the very least competitive with Ryzen's on-board graphics

GRECOROMANGRABASS
May 14, 2020
Raja as CEO would be a pretty bad thing for Intel. Also, Murthy hated Keller? I've never heard of anyone disliking Jim Keller. I'd prefer all those rumors be false.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

GRECOROMANGRABASS posted:

Raja as CEO would be a pretty bad thing for Intel. Also, Murthy hated Keller? I've never heard of anyone disliking Jim Keller. I'd prefer all those rumors be false.

Just think of the shrouds he could build with all of Intel's resources!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I am disappointed in the current* state of Intel integrated graphics. I wasn't expecting miracles with this laptop (Kaby Lake i5 , UHD 620), but I thought some older stuff would play decently. Diablo 3 doesn't hit a consistent 30fps even at 720p. And I hover around 20 with Titan Quest AE at minimum details 1080p. Were my expectations unreasonable?

(*this is a 1.5 year old laptop)

e:it has 8gigs of memory

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Rinkles posted:

I am disappointed in the current* state of Intel integrated graphics. I wasn't expecting miracles with this laptop (Kaby Lake i5 , UHD 620), but I thought some older stuff would play decently. Diablo 3 doesn't hit a consistent 30fps even at 720p. And I hover around 20 with Titan Quest AE at minimum details 1080p. Were my expectations unreasonable?

(*this is a 1.5 year old laptop)

e:it has 8gigs of memory

I bet that's a single stick so it's running in single channel mode.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Arzachel posted:

I bet that's a single stick so it's running in single channel mode.

It is. It has a spare slot. That would help significantly?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Yes. Not just gaming, but normal use, as well. An 8GB DDR4 SODIMM module is like $30, so it's a super cheap upgrade.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Going dual channel on the RAM isn't going to make that big a difference. The intel 620 is more or less a rebrand of the intel 520 iirc and that came out in 2015. I don't think intel gpus actually advanced any until last year maybe?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
it makes a hell of a difference to the iGPU, it uses system ram as vram.

fivehead
Jul 11, 2017

Americans Need Cash Now

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

it makes a hell of a difference to the iGPU, it uses system ram as vram.

This. And your GPU is being leveraged on every website, in Discord, Steam, Office.... every app has hardware acceleration now. Dual Channel makes sense to do.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

CFox posted:

Going dual channel on the RAM isn't going to make that big a difference. The intel 620 is more or less a rebrand of the intel 520 iirc and that came out in 2015. I don't think intel gpus actually advanced any until last year maybe?

While sometimes you won't get all that much of a benefit (Civ6, for example), this guy saw improvements of anywhere between 10% and 30% across a range of games. If the base stick is also replaceable (vs soldered on), he saw improvements of up to 80% by dropping in faster RAM.

https://mattgadient.com/faster-gaming-on-intel-uhd-620-kaby-lake-r-by-upgrading-ram/

I mean, it's not going to turn it into something that can compete with even a 1050, but turning 30FPS into 40FPS is a nice bump for $30.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

DrDork posted:

While sometimes you won't get all that much of a benefit (Civ6, for example), this guy saw improvements of anywhere between 10% and 30% across a range of games. If the base stick is also replaceable (vs soldered on), he saw improvements of up to 80% by dropping in faster RAM.

https://mattgadient.com/faster-gaming-on-intel-uhd-620-kaby-lake-r-by-upgrading-ram/

I mean, it's not going to turn it into something that can compete with even a 1050, but turning 30FPS into 40FPS is a nice bump for $30.

I'll be happy if it gets me 30fps @ 1080p in D3. As is, it'll get there sometimes, but with regular massive lag spikes (in the performance sense).