Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
Oh, goody.
Space elves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
From The Owl House, episode 13.

Oracle? Check.
Snoutface? Check.
"See the truth."? Check.

The Deegan is out there.

Also I'm not gonna speculate on the cabin thing, assuming he's taking a break with professional advice behind it. If he recognises that he's A. not doing too great mentally and B. it's affecting his family, then I'm all for him taking some time to help himself because this is a lovely, lovely time for everyone.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
I think it’s good he’s able to recognize he’s acting unreasonable and needs some time alone, it’s the most mature thing I’ve ever heard from the guy. But it is objectively bad for this story. Like c’mon, Snout’s got poo poo to do, dude. You’re just gonna ignore the first signs of plot to adapt a cool cabin story you thought of during your cabin trip?

Star Power’s showing signs of the same wheel spinning, and you saw what that did to her. Write out your story!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Rotten Red Rod posted:

pppphhhhhttt hahahahhaha

This comic has some pretty decent spaceship designs, and this… This ain’t one of them

These are the voyages of the starship Marital Aid

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Yeah me bringing up the cabin wasn't really about Mookie, it was about how Snout's actions are mirroring Mookie. Really makes me feel that he's essentially run into a wall inspiration wise and cannot decide where he wants the story to go next.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
So far what I've been seeing of Star Power is mostly bland- not as sleep-inducingly bland as Legacy, but not yet as bad as Deegan proper. There's just a real failure to develop anything beyond the most basic outlines- the villains are bland, none of the aliens really stand out, the hero is just a Green Lantern/Lensman.

I am legit surprised that they take this one potential series villain, who isn't great but at least has a motive and reason to want to do bad things, and she never comes up again.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Maxwell Lord posted:

So far what I've been seeing of Star Power is mostly bland- not as sleep-inducingly bland as Legacy, but not yet as bad as Deegan proper. There's just a real failure to develop anything beyond the most basic outlines- the villains are bland, none of the aliens really stand out, the hero is just a Green Lantern/Lensman.

I am legit surprised that they take this one potential series villain, who isn't great but at least has a motive and reason to want to do bad things, and she never comes up again.

Lol username/post combo.

If I expressed awe in every thing Rotten Red Rod mentioned was setup for something significant and was never mentioned again, my post would be really long, but if I had to pick one, it would definitely be that Bill was really just sent to prison and we never saw him again. They spent so much time on him, and he broke out of their confinement several times. It seemed like such obvious foreshadowing for him to come back again later, but due to Mookie's inability to foreshadow properly, he just drops off the face of the universe and is never seen again.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah he'd have been an interesting wild card that could keep pursuing Danica throughout the series instead of the very bland void angels. But nah, he needed to be ultra-punished forever.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

It's really quite fascinating, because he's foreshadowing the wrong thing. When I see space J Jonah Jameson sentence him to one million years space gulag, I already have mentally accounted for either him escaping once interred there, or the void angel intercepting his prison transport to try to kill him personally for failing to do the mission and then in the confusion he uses the opportunity to escape, establishing himself finally as a resourceful character and capable threat. You know, normal cape book poo poo. But we can't have like, not even original ideas, but bog standard genre conventions done in the normal way. This comic is very predictable, but in other ways, you really can't guess what will come next because of the lack of followthrough on stuff like this.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

And hell, it can be fun to figure out just how he’s an escape artist. Like, he brags that all it took was a spoon for him to break out, and then you maybe even have a brief flashback showing that he wasn’t kidding.

Or maybe you use his imprisonment and escape to establish that he has supernaturally good luck whenever he’s really in danger, so you have some basis for him later seriously screwing up the protagonists’ plans with some dumb luck at the worst possible time.

You’ve got all sorts of options for fleshing out your story a bit more, use them!

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Mookie sending Snout to a cabin because he himself is also going to a cabin is the quintessential Mookie. Dominic Deegan would drop everything at the drop of a hat to showcase Mookie's latest fad interest, like maple candy.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Who What Now posted:

Mookie sending Snout to a cabin because he himself is also going to a cabin is the quintessential Mookie. Dominic Deegan would drop everything at the drop of a hat to showcase Mookie's latest fad interest, like maple candy.

Example I think that sticks out the most to me will always be Luna suddenly being a beer snob.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Regalingualius posted:

And hell, it can be fun to figure out just how he’s an escape artist. Like, he brags that all it took was a spoon for him to break out, and then you maybe even have a brief flashback showing that he wasn’t kidding.

Or maybe you use his imprisonment and escape to establish that he has supernaturally good luck whenever he’s really in danger, so you have some basis for him later seriously screwing up the protagonists’ plans with some dumb luck at the worst possible time.

You’ve got all sorts of options for fleshing out your story a bit more, use them!

While he’s definitely writing scripts for Star Power, I don’t think there’s any actual plot for it beyond vague concepts he wants to use. So once a villain fulfills their purpose they either get utterly destroyed and never show up again, or redeemed and get a small cameo later on.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Especially in a super hero book, having the antagonists of the 2 first stories just go to prison forever is hilariously anticlimatic and pulls the energy out of the stories themselves. Obviously these people were never really a threat.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

But they accomplished so much in the short time we knew them!

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Mookie writes for himself, and when it comes to media is still basically a kid watching saturday morning cartoons that gets upset whenever he thinks the badguys might win in an episode, so villains can never have any sort of even temporary victories.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I’m still wondering how Blue Lady managed to kill all the other Green Lanterns, given how easily she lost.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

But they accomplished so much in the short time we knew them!

Legitimately what the hell ever happened to Roarboar. He shot Danica and then vanished into the aether.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Mors Rattus posted:

I’m still wondering how Blue Lady managed to kill all the other Green Lanterns, given how easily she lost.

They don't make it clear then, but her sword and the claws of the robots are made out of stuff the Star Power is weak to. The leader of the fish people and Old Tom were weilding the same thing - notice their black shiny blades.

TheHan posted:

Legitimately what the hell ever happened to Roarboar. He shot Danica and then vanished into the aether.

She had disabled his craft, so he fell to his death unconsciousness and presumably was arrested. But yeah you don't even see it happen, lol

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Yes, the one weakness of a superhuman capable of flying through space and firing blasts with the range and power to disable starships...Melee combat!!

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

yes but the other Sentinels were not mookies

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I miss DOWN TOWN EROSSUS.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

How about some DOWN TOWN WALLS OF TEXT. I decided to check if Mookie did the old 3-in-1 lazy update trick, and was rewarded. I just felt that since Snout was about to open a book, there was no way Mookie didn't just belt out the whole thing at once with lots of hastily typed words. I am the Mookie whisperer.

So they are necromantic vines. and snout is not affected due to being hearing impaired. And also yeah ink witch, all that stuff's done, until Mookie gets bored of this and goes back.

Nice to see his time alone in the cabin gave him the inspiration for a C-tier derivative horror story hook.

And of couse: NO DIALOGUE

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Aug 11, 2020

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
drat I hope Mookie stays safe from the vines.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Noooooo the vines have stolen my typewriter and taken it to the castle of aaaaaaaaargh.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Holy poo poo this is pointless and uninspired. He might as well just continue to be on vacation.

I'm gonna guess he's completely out of ideas for the main plot and so he's spinning his wheels by recycling some idea he had for a quest in D&D. Problem is its way less interesting than he seems to think it is.

Come to think of it, this is the same issue Star Power had - the main plot not going anywhere because he faffed around with side quest bullshit.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Aug 11, 2020

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

I was secretly hoping it was going to be a fantasy Thoreau situation, where we're treated to a contemplative side story with a tangential link to the main plot, dealing with a person coming to terms with solitude or isolation, perhaps linking into Snout's own isolation from the world, both literally for most of his life, and figuratively with his handicap. Just something that Mookie could have brought back from his Cabin weekend, an interlude that change's Snout's perspective on something before he moves on. In fact, I was expecting it to be that because why else would you have a setup like this.

Instead it's literally just a bad 90s horror movie, with like I'm assuming a bird box sorta twist with Snout's deafness saving him. I don't want to like be a culture snob but for me this is made so much worse by how much the setup could have been used for something, for lack of a better term, deeper. Just something about actual emotional resonance or real contemplation of themes. Just something other than lazy black strings around the border, which is something he did literally all the time in DD. So much for progress.

Also love the horror video game end there where he's still writing exposition for Snout's benefit as the vines are eating him or getting him to kill the rest of his family or whatever. Plenty of time to write stuff down, just not enough to write down specifics of what actually happened so Mookie can have the most cliched type of suspense and horror.

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Aug 11, 2020

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

At least it's just necromantic vines (what does that even mean) and has nothing to do with his necrophiliac necromancer idea, aka "zombie rapist".

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Also wondering who printed that cover now since apparently this was just some dude's journal. So he comes here, journals namelessly for a while, then when the evil vines come decides to commit and names his future memoire My Cabin Among the Vines. And then afterwards I'm assuming he killed his mongrelman equivalent of Friday or something.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Rotten Red Rod posted:

At least it's just necromantic vines (what does that even mean) and has nothing to do with his necrophiliac necromancer idea, aka "zombie rapist".

:stare:

:catstare:

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

To give the barest sliver of credit, the way he used the visual reminder of the "DEAF" tag on the front of snout's shirt to indicate that snout was unaffected because he couldn't hear the vines was a relatively subtle touch and actually sparked a little bit of humor. It's the sort of thing you'd actually look for in a dialogue free comic. It's just vastly undercut by the enormous text dump. And the fact that this entire scene is likely pointless.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

oriongates posted:

To give the barest sliver of credit, the way he used the visual reminder of the "DEAF" tag on the front of snout's shirt to indicate that snout was unaffected because he couldn't hear the vines was a relatively subtle touch and actually sparked a little bit of humor. It's the sort of thing you'd actually look for in a dialogue free comic. It's just vastly undercut by the enormous text dump. And the fact that this entire scene is likely pointless.

It would also have been more effective if he had spent a few weeks building up to this, showing Snout surviving off the land (like he must have before) so that you sort of forgot his deafness and worry he might be affected until bang, oh the twist! Whereas right now I knew exactly what the twist was going to be because the vines are "singing", and Snout being deaf literally never stops being mentioned.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Yeah, the fact that he's deaf is literally every other punchline means its already long since played out.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Are you talking about Jacob or Rillian? Or some other character I've forgotten? I don't remember either of them being necrophiliacs.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
Dear god, what kind of baffling diversion is this?

I'm getting the impression that there are just going to be several weeks of Snout finding weird stuff in the wild edge that doesn't actually lead anywhere important, much like his random journey around Mongreltown. Because the alternative is that this vine poo poo IS plot-relevant somehow, in which case it becomes even more maddening that Snout found it by virtue of just walking in a random direction and stumbling upon it.

I honestly can't tell if he's trying to resolve the problem of his friends disappearing or if he really did just mean he was "starting over" as in he was just going to not worry about all that and bumble around some more. If he IS trying to resolve it, he really didn't do any detective work at all before leaving town.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
The sheer laziness of the legacy has really curdled to the top recently. Whole weeks are being dedicated to Snout taking a single action, with pages being around 3-4 panels long. The whole confrontation with the ink bitches from introduction to exit was four pages total but it’s taken half a month’s worth of pages just for Snout to happen upon a cabin where something interesting might happen.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I think the weirdest part of this to me is, like, I think this is intended to be a horror vignette.

Except, like, there’s literally no way it can be scary or creepy.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Invisible Clergy posted:

Are you talking about Jacob or Rillian? Or some other character I've forgotten? I don't remember either of them being necrophiliacs.

It's something I discovered when I, to my great shame, paid $3 to Mookie's patreon to see the Legacy preview art.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

One of those bonus images (unrelated to this comic) was a character he created who is a necromancer in a graveyard reading a book called "Put the Romance back in Necromancy" with "Talk to Dead Girls" on the back of the book.

Yeah. He created a necrophiliac necromancer OC. According to Mookie, he'll "either go on to defile corpses for horrible undead rituals, or he's going to be a harmless pervert with a ghost fetish ;) "

Not ;) , Mookie. Not ;) at all.

If this character is named Shelldis Fern... Watch out.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
"Will he become a rapist or will he just stay a harmless pervert? Let's find out! ;)" Fascinating journey.

Mors Rattus posted:

I think the weirdest part of this to me is, like, I think this is intended to be a horror vignette.

Except, like, there’s literally no way it can be scary or creepy.

Horror vignette where the protagonist is immune to the threat and nobody else is there. Thrilling.

Unrelated, I noticed something about the way that Mookie is drawing Wild Edge backgrounds that irritates me, and part of what makes it so bothersome. I know really this just comes down to laziness, but...

He shows Snout moving between biomes at a rapid pace, as if they are switching every couple hours of walking or so. At least, that's my guess based on how much time has supposedly past versus how many biomes he goes through. Yet, whenever he shows a wide shot, it always looks like this:

Far stretches of one biome, or absolutely nothing. You never see these weird biomes at the same time, which seems completely impossible given how closely packed they must be. Based on what he'd been drawing, from this shot you should really see some weird trees or something in the distance. If he put the effort into drawing at least a little extra detail showing around the horizon of other nearby biomes it would make a huge difference in expressing the supposed chaos of the Wild Edge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Ok but what I want to know is, what does Mookie think you need to have to survive in the wilderness? Where was cabin guy (or Snout!) getting food? Clothes? Did they have any kind of water storage or did they literally just drink out of the river?
There’s something deeply frustrating in this ‘return to the simple life’ idea when that simple life is imagined as more or less sitting in an apartment writing while an invisible, implicit wife or mother does all the basic work to keep you alive.