Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Yeah, why would they do this so close to Fandome? Does DC expect that the target audience for Fandome doesn't care for these kind of stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

radlum posted:

Yeah, why would they do this so close to Fandome? Does DC expect that the target audience for Fandome doesn't care for these kind of stuff?

I think it's more AT&T doesn't care fandome.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Fandome is just actually just a trap so they can fire people on screen without having to email or zoom call them individually

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Skwirl posted:

I think it's more AT&T doesn't care fandome.

keep in mind that this wasn’t specific to DC and was part of a broader corporate restructuring/bloodbath that started with three big exec firings on Friday. the larger corporation is gonna take precedence over a specific event like Fandome

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

TwoPair posted:

Fandome is just actually just a trap so they can fire people on screen without having to email or zoom call them individually

"Oh cool, Gal Gadot and Jason Mamoa get to watch me cry"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I have heard from one of my DC friends, she is still employed. This blindsided everyone and they did it in a manner so that people couldn't pack up their belongings themselves so she's taking all her personal items home just in case.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Kinda worried about DC's future. I can't imagine floppies will be around much longer.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The death of DC Collectibles is lovely, the vault wax the coolest part of the office tour and i can't imagine that stuff will remain untouched.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

TwoPair posted:

Many will enter the fandome, but only one will leave.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Codependent Poster posted:

Kinda worried about DC's future. I can't imagine floppies will be around much longer.

I wouldn't mind floppies going away.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So.

Mark Waid is an editor and not just a writer. Chatter is he's going ot the DC offices for meetings very soon. New EiC?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Skwirl posted:

"Oh cool, Gal Gadot and Jason Mamoa get to watch me cry"

I'm sure Jason Mamoa gives great, comforting hugs. :unsmith:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

JordanKai posted:

I'm sure Jason Mamoa gives great, comforting hugs. :unsmith:
Ugh gross. Can you imagine how those big, sinewy muscles would feel pressed against you?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

FilthyImp posted:

Ugh gross. Can you imagine how those big, sinewy muscles would feel pressed against you?

:swoon:

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Would also accept a Brendan Fraser hug.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
I will take one for the team and accept a hug from Gal Gadot, I guess.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Rhyno posted:

So.

Mark Waid is an editor and not just a writer. Chatter is he's going ot the DC offices for meetings very soon. New EiC?

I think that would be cool. Waid is cool from what I know.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Rhyno posted:

So.

At the very least he'll be writing, considering Harras was the reason he was staying away.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It was Didio.

He's been very vocally critical of Didio for years, maybe the new guys in charge want him just to give the finger to the old ways.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Having Waid as a senior editor or something would definitely help heal some of the scars made by the New 52. Be a hell of a battle to get Bendis off Superman so Waid can finally get a run. The guy deserves it though after all these years.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

I would love a Superman series by Mark Waid.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

JordanKai posted:

If he had full creative control, sure. Otherwise...

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

JordanKai posted:

Waid’s Birthright runs circles around any Superman origin story since 1978.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhyno posted:

But Dickie Meyers has that ironclad case against him!

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

JordanKai posted:

Nobody would love it more than him. When he signed his foreword to All Star Superman with “who has read every Superman story, but not one better”, I could totally believe he has read every Superman story ever written.

If Waid is going back to DC, I’m sure it’s contingent on him getting a Superman run that doesn’t get messed with by editorial. And personally, I wouldn’t be mad if he convinces Morrison to take another turn at the Justice League with Waid as editor again.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Madkal posted:

I will take one for the team and accept a hug from Gal Gadot, I guess.
Hopefully you're not palestinian.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Vincent posted:

Hopefully you're not palestinian.

She can listen to me go on for hours about the history of kibbutzim.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Has anyone heard anything about writers and/or artists being laid off at DC? I've been scrubbing through all of the creatives who still have ongoing releases going into October, and so far I haven't seen anyone tweet about being let go. I hope they all make it through. :ohdear:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

JordanKai posted:

Has anyone heard anything about writers and/or artists being laid off at DC? I've been scrubbing through all of the creatives who still have ongoing releases going into October, and so far I haven't seen anyone tweet about being let go. I hope they all make it through. :ohdear:

It seems like the layoffs were more focused on leadership and then side things, like DCU and DC Direct. Haven't heard anything of anyone on the creative side getting the axe.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Vince MechMahon posted:

It seems like the layoffs were more focused on leadership and then side things, like DCU and DC Direct. Haven't heard anything of anyone on the creative side getting the axe.

Yeah, that's what it seemed like to me as well. But because we have only gotten a few actual names alongside reports of mass layoffs, I was worried that things were far worse than they seemed on the surface.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Are creatives on staff still or all contracts based on series? Maybe that information isn’t clear until books start getting canceled.
And I’m sure with a new leadership team coming in they’ll start culling books hard.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Basically all writer/artists/colorists/letterers/etc. are freelancers so they wouldn't get laid off, they'd just lose jobs as books/projects get canceled, yeah.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Edge & Christian posted:

Basically all writer/artists/colorists/letterers/etc. are freelancers so they wouldn't get laid off, they'd just lose jobs as books/projects get canceled, yeah.

Right, I shouldn't have said 'laid off', just that they'd lose their gig. Either way, I feel like we would've heard something by now if it had already happened, but yeah.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I'd imagine first they have to fill the positions before the new people can figure out what, if anything, gets the axe

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

Edge & Christian posted:

So now they have a company with a bunch of freelancers working under contract without a sure job afterwards that has had a bunch of leadership positions open up.

Man the comics industry sucks.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

KaosMachina posted:

So now they have a company with a bunch of freelancers working under contract without a sure job afterwards that has had a bunch of leadership positions open up.

Man the comics industry sucks.

This is kind of how every entertainment industry works these days. Turns out the world sucks.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

site posted:

I'd imagine first they have to fill the positions before the new people can figure out what, if anything, gets the axe

I'm guessing most of the high level positions that are now empty won't be filled.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Skwirl posted:

I'm guessing most of the high level positions that are now empty won't be filled.

That'd be my guess. Most of the WB/HBO/Turner layoffs on Monday were specifically eliminated positions. There'll probably be a new EIC, but either DC will publish less titles or will have fewer editors to handle the same workload. Either way, it's looking a little bit like the start of a doom spiral, mostly due to AT&T's shortsightedness. You can't even fully blame the pandemic for it.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Unmature posted:

This is kind of how every entertainment industry works these days. Turns out the world sucks.

There's at least unions for certain industries in entertainment, but it's generally a business where work is never a guarantee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
There's probably bigger things going on right now what with the industry on the verge of doom, but I have to take a moment to note that Venditti's Hawkman series has been a real gem these last few years and, with this latest issue, he pulls off something few writers get to do by bringing satisfying closure to a really long-running storyline. It's...hard to completely explain what's going on, but broadly-speaking the run did a lot to smooth out a lot of the rough edges of the Hawks. And it's not even over yet!