Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

verbal enema posted:

nah u can actually not get hit but you gotta be FAST

You can just dash past the ghosts and quickly bonk the dart boy so you can climb the ladder without worrying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

ThomasPaine posted:

You can just dash past the ghosts and quickly bonk the dart boy so you can climb the ladder without worrying

dart boy has a looong wind up if you dodge the first you can prolly not get tagged while climbing

says me when im out of stamina and get tagged while climbing and fall into a pit of frenzied lady ghosts

RIP that controller

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
if you take a small enough amount of damage that using a blood vial feels wasteful, you should make blood bullets and then use a blood vial to get back to full, because a blood vial restores slightly more health than blood bullets take. just a little pro tip

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Does Patches really show up in random Chalice dungeons? I don’t think I’ve ever seen him. Can’t tell if it’s some elaborate joke.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Pulcinella posted:

Does Patches really show up in random Chalice dungeons? I don’t think I’ve ever seen him. Can’t tell if it’s some elaborate joke.

super duper hidden chalice merchant

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Pulcinella posted:

You pretty much have to go look up a glyph to see him or that spooky black slug thing

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

tote up a bags posted:

You pretty much have to go look up a glyph to see him or that spooky black slug thing

Da rare creatures

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
The chalice dungeons have so many rare and niche things. People marvel at how missable the Upper Cathedral Ward and Cainhurst are, but the number of people who engage with the chalice dungeons beyond what they need for the trophy has to be an infinitesimal fraction of people compared to that.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Yeah the chalice dungeons hold so much insane poo poo that it kinda makes sense that From keeps it there

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

they're good. every time I go back for another character I see some new weird thing that I had no idea could generate that way, like an enemy hunter in between the locked door and the boss. seen videos of a boss like pthumerian descendent just chilling out on a main floor as a normal enemy although I've yet to run into that myself (not counting poo poo like keepers of the old lords/loran silverbeasts). last time I was also seeing some crazy stuff show up even on the public dungeon search, like a !TRIPLE CURSED! dungeon where you had less health than a BL4 character.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
My weirdest dungeon was one of the big giant swamp levels and it just had two Undead Giants walking around... just as like normal guys. Absolutely horrifying. I got a sick rune tho

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
The premade dungeons feel like they take loving forever I can't imagine anyone doing them more than once.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

WaltherFeng posted:

The premade dungeons feel like they take loving forever I can't imagine anyone doing them more than once.

It’s just more Bloodborne to playthrough. The worst part of fun builds is when you run out of stuff to kill.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
said ot last nigjt ill say it again BB is the best From game ever

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
Regarding the Cainhurst runback: you can actually keep sprinting around the corner past the ladder and if you go all the way into the corner there the blowgun rear end in a top hat will de-aggro you. Sometimes one of the ghost ladies will follow you but that 7-10 seconds beats getting shot on the way up, or worse, knocked off the ladder if your stamina is low.

I know this because my first play through, well, let’s just say I’m familiar with that runback :v:

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

they're good. every time I go back for another character I see some new weird thing that I had no idea could generate that way, like an enemy hunter in between the locked door and the boss. seen videos of a boss like pthumerian descendent just chilling out on a main floor as a normal enemy although I've yet to run into that myself (not counting poo poo like keepers of the old lords/loran silverbeasts). last time I was also seeing some crazy stuff show up even on the public dungeon search, like a !TRIPLE CURSED! dungeon where you had less health than a BL4 character.

There's multiple bosses that sometimes just appear in the middle of the dungeon. The Undead Giants were already mentioned, but you can also meet the Pthumerian Elder, the Blood-Starved Beast, the Abhorrent Beast and the freaking Watchdog of the Old Lords.

But yeah, the Chalice Dungeons hold a lot of interesting stuff, not least because FromSoft apparently used them as testing grounds for some main-game ideas. It helps that there's a small but incredibly dedicated community documenting every minute detail about the Dungeons. In fact, by this point, they've managed to explore every single Root Dungeon and catalogue its loot and bosses.
Oh yeah, that's another thing: As that site describes, Root Dungeons aren't actually procedurally generated at all! Every Dungeon layout is fixed and present in the game files at all times, the Root Chalices just pick a random one by certain criteria (choosing between 100 layouts each for every Depth 1-3 Root Chalice, 200 each for every Depth 4-5 one; picking up certain unique items in them limits the selection). That's why players can leave messages and bloodstains in Root Dungeons. The whole system pretty much uses a whole lot of smoke and mirrors to imitate real-time procedural generation.

Using the opportunity to post this video because I like it a lot :v: (Spoilers for one of the aforementioned roaming bosses)

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice
I'm on my first playthrough right now and I was getting some goodies from chalice dungeon glyphs because I'm a weak babby and now its making me sign into to PS+ which I don't have because I rarely use the PS4 and lemme tell you I am SHOOK.

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

verbal enema posted:

Cainhurst owns

verbal enema posted:

Cainhurst owns

Preach

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

A LOVELY LAD posted:

I'm on my first playthrough right now and I was getting some goodies from chalice dungeon glyphs because I'm a weak babby and now its making me sign into to PS+ which I don't have because I rarely use the PS4 and lemme tell you I am SHOOK.

I've got close to 400 hours in Bloodborne, and the Chalice Dungeons still rattle me for how weird and unsettling some of the stuff that can happen in them is. Randomly stumbling onto a boss or a teleport trap that drops you in the middle of a hellroom of nightmares actually makes me feel genuinely anxious. There is no greater sense of urgency than entering a room and seeing a conga-line of red spiders coming at you--and killing the summoned only to discover that only half of the spiders disappeared and desperately trying to track down the other summoner is such a simple but effective escalation of tension in an already tense situation. Oh, and the moment when you step out onto an overlook and suddenly catch sight of a Madman just as it darts out of sight through a door, knowing that at some point he's going to reappear when you least expect it is the most nerve-racking thing in any game I've ever played. Christ. The screaming.

Basically what I'm saying is that Bloodborne's Chalice Dungeon content is the single most effective horror game I've ever played.

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

The problem with chalice dungeon content is that chalice dungeons suck so I don't want to have to grind them to see exclusive stuff

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I just beat the Amygdala, and now I'm finally going through the Nightmare of Mensis. Should I hop into the Chalice Dungeons at some point before I eventually get to Gehrman? Are they strictly a neverending dungeon crawler? I've been avoiding doing them because I'm not super interested in that, but if there's something worth doing in them I'll check them out.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Well grinding them is the problem. If you break them up during a story mode playthrough it’s way way better than saving them all up for the end and then having to spend 3-4 hours running through dungeons full of enemies that can it possibly hurt you.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
they also carry over to new game plus, so theres no rush.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

If you can wrangle a friend/acquaintance/rival/nemesis/coworker/sucker into running the "story" Chalices with you, they're considerably quicker, more painless (quicker) more fun (by virtue of being quicker), and less tedious (because it doesn't take as long i.e. is quicker). If you are socially isolated and therefore don't know or have any of the above to co-op with, there is a ready-made community of suckers on Reddit (I know, I know :reddit:) you can share your misery with recruit to help run you through them.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Just beat Micolash. The guy that works in the Tedious Department at Fromsoft got to design a boss for some reason :suicide:

fun hater posted:

they also carry over to new game plus, so theres no rush.

Oh cool. How does NG+ work in this game anyway? Do you start over with all your levels and weapons or like just your weapons and you start at 1 or what

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Macaluso posted:

Just beat Micolash. The guy that works in the Tedious Department at Fromsoft got to design a boss for some reason :suicide:

Oh cool. How does NG+ work in this game anyway? Do you start over with all your levels and weapons or like just your weapons and you start at 1 or what

There's a bit more to it than this, but here are the highlights:

You restart the game and retain all your weapons, items (except for storyline items), Blood Gems, levels, Blood Echoes, Runes (including covenants), and progress in the Chalice Dungeons. Enemies are harder and grant more Blood Echoes for defeating them.

Here's a more detailed breakdown.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Time_pants posted:

There's a bit more to it than this, but here are the highlights:

You restart the game and retain all your weapons, items (except for storyline items), Blood Gems, levels, Blood Echoes, Runes (including covenants), and progress in the Chalice Dungeons. Enemies are harder and grant more Blood Echoes for defeating them.

Here's a more detailed breakdown.

Hmm interesting. I'm interested in trying an all arcane build like some people here have mentioned, can you have two separate playthroughs at once to have a NG+ and regular new game saved? Idk if doing an arcane playthrough for NG+ will be good if the enemies are a ton harder for a while.

Unrelated, I just one shot Mergo's Wet Nurse. I'll be real that boss, for how intimidating that Kurt Zisa lookin' rear end motherfucker looked, was not at all dangerous unless I specifically got too attack happy and blatantly ignored the copy's attacks. And in fact that clone phase you can really just wait it out if you want, I figured that would be like, the whole second phase of the fight. Her attacks stay the same speed the whole time too. I'm not saying I'm disappointed by it, I think the fight is super cool especially with the creepy baby's room music playing instead of an intense music track. I just think it's weird such a late game boss that looks like THAT wasn't really all that bad.

She was a nice normal boss fight though after the Maze Runner

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Macaluso posted:

Should I hop into the Chalice Dungeons at some point before I eventually get to Gehrman?

Based on where you are in the story, you could easily plow through the depth 1 and depth 2 chalices. Depth 3 would be a moderate challenge that varies by layer and definitely needs to be spaced out, but if you get tired of them before that, warp out immediately and find something else to do because you don't want them to feel like a grind. Depth 4 and 5 start scaling out of base NG-levels. You can do them, but they'll be hard and also dropping ludicrous amounts of blood echoes on you by depth 5, which makes it very easy to over-level for a base NG playthrough. On the other hand, you can dump all that into bullets and vials and papers and never feel pressed for resources and free to let loose all the time.

Macaluso posted:

Hmm interesting. I'm interested in trying an all arcane build like some people here have mentioned, can you have two separate playthroughs at once to have a NG+ and regular new game saved? Idk if doing an arcane playthrough for NG+ will be good if the enemies are a ton harder for a while.

You can have multiple character save files in Bloodborne, yeah. The new characters are totally fresh and there's no bonus or carry-over from a save that's beaten the game. It's like any of the Dark Souls games or Skyrim or whatever where you choose which character to load up on the start screen.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Aug 11, 2020

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Macaluso posted:

If you create a new character, it will be in a regular New Game. The only character that gets sent to NG+ is the character you actually used to beat the game.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Just fought Ludwig, a boss I was terrified of because I saw how much trouble it gave people. It probably took me 5 or 6 tries to do it, but even still, I really only got to the second phase by just mashing attack hoping I could out damage him first.

Ludwig's first phase feels like a much more chaotic Vicar Amelia, I didn't enjoy it that much. I really enjoyed his second phase though. Even though it's easier, it feels much more like an interesting boss fight when he has the sword than the first phase where he's just a rampage monster.

edit: also thanks all for the file information, was mostly worried it was a single file situation like Pokemon. I dunno why I'd assume that, no other game BUT Pokemon does that

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Macaluso posted:

Just fought Ludwig, a boss I was terrified of because I saw how much trouble it gave people. It probably took me 5 or 6 tries to do it, but even still, I really only got to the second phase by just mashing attack hoping I could out damage him first.

Ludwig's first phase feels like a much more chaotic Vicar Amelia, I didn't enjoy it that much. I really enjoyed his second phase though. Even though it's easier, it feels much more like an interesting boss fight when he has the sword than the first phase where he's just a rampage monster.

edit: also thanks all for the file information, was mostly worried it was a single file situation like Pokemon. I dunno why I'd assume that, no other game BUT Pokemon does that

Well to be fair to you, when you have just one character it’s so easy to just hit “continue” at the start screen you don’t even notice you can load a different file.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Macaluso posted:

He was on a sliver of health and I ran out of bullets and was panicking so I couldn't get my fingers to flip over to like, a poison dagger or something to do that tiny bit of damage :v: I managed to get a lucky hit on him but man that final sliver of health was terrifying, he got me drat near to death several times during it. He was kind of a weird boss because his stuff never felt super consistent to me between attempts. Some attempts felt completely different.

I think he has a much more specific move set than other bosses so if you're at mid range/a little beyond he gets more unpredictable because he's more quickly going back and forth between "player is far away, do X" and "player is up close, do Y"

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Just fought the Living Failures and Lady Maria. Living Failures were whatever, it was basically an add fight which I don't enjoy. One of the living failures did stay alive after the battle was over though and did use the cosmic attack on me :v:

Lady Maria though. Oh my god. What a boss! Such such SUCH a good fight. Easily my favorite boss out of all the DLC and base game (I have not fought Vicar whatshisface or Orphan of Kos yet). But wow. The music! The movement! It was like a dance more than a fight. So GOOD!!!

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
I started chalice dungeons for the first time today in my quest for the plat. I should have staggered them like everyone has said multiple times in this thread but here we are... at level 91... in layer 2 dungeons.

The concept is pretty cool. I can already see the potential for them to turn into a chore but so far I'm digging the mechanics. With that said, there is something I can't put my finger on that just feels lacking. It feels like a concept that never was fully fleshed out.

Why has nobody made a souls-like game that is also a rogue-like dungeon crawler that is just chalice dungeons on steroids? That idea has massive potential. poo poo, you could maybe even throw in some Diablo/Path of Exile loot grinding in the mix. Add some MTX and then holy poo poo EA or Ubisoft hire me now I have your next game as a service.

Macaluso posted:

Just fought the Living Failures and Lady Maria. Living Failures were whatever, it was basically an add fight which I don't enjoy. One of the living failures did stay alive after the battle was over though and did use the cosmic attack on me :v:

Lady Maria though. Oh my god. What a boss! Such such SUCH a good fight. Easily my favorite boss out of all the DLC and base game (I have not fought Vicar whatshisface or Orphan of Kos yet). But wow. The music! The movement! It was like a dance more than a fight. So GOOD!!!

Hell yes! Lady Maria is my favorite!

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
It only took me 5 years but I finally finished one playthrough. I took a break for a few days right at Orphan and started last night with the expectation that'd take me awhile to beat him and then I did it in 2 tries. I beat Laurence in one but it took me about 15 vials, I had a hard time getting a bead on him in the last phase. As much as I tried to figure out things for myself I ended up looking up how to get the dlc weapons I was missing so I could get all the trophies. After that I knocked at MWN, Gehrman, and Moon Presence and immediately started a NG+ and made it up to cathedral ward. I don't usually give a poo poo about trophies but I think I may actually go after the plat. I'm using a guide this playthrough to try and complete all the quests and get all the items I missed the first time. The game is a masterpiece and my new favorite PS4 game, probably top 3 of all time.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

hamsystem posted:

I beat Laurence in one but it took me about 15 vials, I had a hard time getting a bead on him in the last phase.

I just went and fought Laurence, I wanted to fight him before I did Orphan. It took me like 4 or 5 tries. I ended up running through ALL my blood vials. The thing with that fight the kind of subverts your expectations that makes it interesting is, his fight is kind of like the Cleric Beast and Vicar Amelia in one boss, and stick close to him and getting behind him is basically the best strategy to beating him (that I found). But that's his first phase. Then in his second phase, he completely takes away your ability to go behind him and you have to face him head on so that tactic doesn't work anymore. His second phase is probably a bit easier than his first though.

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

That Avengers beta better not be the reason no one is resonating with the timbre of my bell atop Cainhurst Castle!

nm: complaining to the internet worked again! Take that you old skeletal turd.

thiccabod fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Aug 14, 2020

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Just fought Chalice Dungeon Rom. Maybe one of the worst most annoying fights in the whole game??? Holy guacamole

LionEyez
Aug 17, 2014
Hi thread, long time lurker, first time poster (here, anyway)

I've stalled my second attempt at this drat game at the exact same spot as before: the forest.

I recall trying the boss there, 3 attackers at the same time, and being absolutely devastated by them. Then going into a chalice dungeon and dying repeatedly there too. Some words of encouragement, advice on how to come at this fresh?

EDIT: Oh and I am old-fashioned and don't want to pay an extra fee for online features. How badly am I knee-capping myself?

LionEyez fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Aug 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

LionEyez posted:

EDIT: Oh and I am old-fashioned and don't want to pay an extra fee for online features. How badly am I knee-capping myself?

You'll be fine unless you're very prone to falling for ambushes