Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
I'm pounding the desk rooting for an Eichel -> Lafreniere trade because I think it'd be fuckin' rad to see a superstar trade for once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

This is kind of a dumb question but have there been any consistently successful teams that are built around three wingers as their franchise superstars?

Not that Zibanejad isn’t a legit 1C, but as a hypothetical let’s say that it takes another couple years for Kaako and Lafreniere to enter superstar territory, and that Panarin is still maintaining superstar level of play but Zib declines a bit. Seems like the Rangers will probably have enough flexibility to bring in another star while the younguns are on ELCs, so maybe it’s a moot point if they land another top C or D.

I just can’t immediately think of another team that was so stacked on wing, though I’m sure there are other examples through the years.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

This is kind of a dumb question but have there been any consistently successful teams that are built around three wingers as their franchise superstars?

Not that Zibanejad isn’t a legit 1C, but as a hypothetical let’s say that it takes another couple years for Kaako and Lafreniere to enter superstar territory, and that Panarin is still maintaining superstar level of play but Zib declines a bit. Seems like the Rangers will probably have enough flexibility to bring in another star while the younguns are on ELCs, so maybe it’s a moot point if they land another top C or D.

I just can’t immediately think of another team that was so stacked on wing, though I’m sure there are other examples through the years.

I think they're getting to the point where they have some real ammo to try to go out and get a 2C. Tony D , Buchnevich, possibly Kratzov.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

They definitely need a 2C. There are lots of assets they can trade - heck, they also have the 18 pick in the draft right? Plus a wealth of near ready prospects. They could definitely offer a lot to a team that's further back in the rebuild than they are and get a legit 2C

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
the sabres finally did something right

https://twitter.com/BuffaloSabres/status/1293171614763417601

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Maybe it’s just the lighting but the blue doesn’t pop as much as I thought it would, was hoping it would be slightly brighter. Still an upgrade though.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
i think it might be the lighting, yeah. the blue in the bottom right picture definitely stands out more than the others

other cool things:

they kept the fancy embroidered buffalo from the 50th anniversary jersey, which is loving sweet

no more front numbers

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
Apparently Lehner is one of the bigger free agents this offseason. How did he only get a one year deal after last year?

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Apparently Lehner is one of the bigger free agents this offseason. How did he only get a one year deal after last year?

I think it was his choice to try and up his value more by playing well for one more season to get the long term deal he wants. Basically he chose a bridge deal and it looks like his gamble will pay off

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Goalies are voodoo...it’s why their trade value is wonky too

Since 2018 only 5 goalies were signed for more than 3 years (Gibson, VasilevskIy, Hellebuyck, Varlamov, Bobrovsky). The vast majority of contracts given to FA goalies were 1-2 years.

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Aug 11, 2020

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah, lol flyers and all that but there was a reason Ron Hextall had what seemed like 20 goalies in their pipeline at one point.

A Game of Chess
Nov 6, 2004

not as good as Turgenev
And almost none of those goalies were good, but you can understand it.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

A Game of Chess posted:

And almost none of those goalies were good, but you can understand it.

A bunch were basically meant to be bridges to Hart and... well, there were exploded hips and bad knees and well Alex Lyon does well enough once in a while but hoo boy.

A Game of Chess
Nov 6, 2004

not as good as Turgenev
I'm just relieved we've finally made it here, but that was a ride.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Was picking Thomas Hickey the last really out there draft pick in the top-5?

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Number19 posted:

I think it was his choice to try and up his value more by playing well for one more season to get the long term deal he wants. Basically he chose a bridge deal and it looks like his gamble will pay off

Lehner has been pretty vocal about his next contract being a long-term one, I’m curious where he ends up. Chicago seemed like an ideal destination for him with Crawfords deal up soon, but that never happened

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Spelling Mitsake posted:

There was the question of whether Lehner or the system produced the results. Also, probably lingering questions about his mental health.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

The new Buffalo jerseys are just the old Buffalo jerseys except playing somewhere the lighting is actually good.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

rex rabidorum vires posted:

There was the question of whether Lehner or the system produced the results. Also, probably lingering questions about his mental health.

It's a shame Vegas has no real way of keeping him short of Fleury unexpectedly retiring

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Also, https://twitter.com/JoshYohe_PGH/status/1293233572975968257?s=20

hahahahah

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

“You know some people think poo poo smells bad but frankly the toilet smells pretty bad in general and maybe we should give that turd a break”

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

:popeye: holy poo poo lol

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

The UFA market is pretty good. I think Mikael Granlund would be a very good pickup for a team - he's still only 27 and he's had 2 65pt seasons and a 55pt season in his last 3 years besides this one. Good reclamation project.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Twin Cinema posted:

Was picking Thomas Hickey the last really out there draft pick in the top-5?

Barrett Hayton at 5 in 2018 was pretty out of nowhere, I seem to remember.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
JJ is just so goddamned bad. I get that JR doesn't want to directly throw him under the bus because he'd probably like to trade him but Jesus Christ just buy him out or bury him in the minors or do whatever it loving takes to get him off the team. Anything would be better than having him on the roster.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

Barrett Hayton at 5 in 2018 was pretty out of nowhere, I seem to remember.

Yeah most mocks had him in the late teens or early 20s. He was a super late riser and there wasn't any indication that he was going to go anywhere near as high as he did.

Not the same level of jump, but Kotkaniemi at 3 was the biggest "pick for need" selection in recent years. He was considered a top ten pick but no one had him that high until like 24 hours before the draft. That's big centre lust for ya.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Who did the Hawks have for centers when they won those Cups? Wasn't Toews the only major center? Kane was on the wing, Handzus was in the mix one year, etc...maybe I'm wrong about that.

fawning deference posted:

They definitely need a 2C. There are lots of assets they can trade - heck, they also have the 18 pick in the draft right? Plus a wealth of near ready prospects. They could definitely offer a lot to a team that's further back in the rebuild than they are and get a legit 2C

20th at best, depends on where Carolina ends up. If they go out this round then Rangers get the 20th pick.

And yeah, they have assets they can use to acquire another center or LD, just kinda depends on what is out there.
The other thing is that you don't need a top flight amazing 2C if you're sticking him with superstar wingers. While I want someone better than Strome, he DID do pretty well this year riding shotgun with Panarin.
You don't need a Crosby-Malkin 1-2 down the middle if you have really strong wingers. Zibanejad is ace and isn't being carried by Panarin or anything so you have him handle the heavy lifting and get a guy who is good enough to ride shotgun effectively with Panarin and Kakko or Buch or something and then you give Chytil good enough wingers taht he's not having to drag around the corpse of Brett Howden and Brendan Lemieux

For next season unless they're trying to be a contender I dont' think they HAVE to find a 2C if they can bring back Strome for a not stupid price. If they can't do that then moving him and some other stuff to bring in a different player is probably better than giving Strome 5 years $6 mill or something stupid. Left D might be the real big place they need to make a move...You have Staal, Lindgren, Smith, Hajek...and so far only Lindgren looks like someone you want to keep around long term and he's more of a complementary "riding shotgun" piece to Adam Fox right now.
Staal sucks and drags everyone down but I doubt is going anywhere unless it's for salary concerns. Smith...sucks but is hilarious in that he can be really good or really bad and often that happens within the span of about 10 seconds, over and over. Guy just never learned how to play within his strengths. He and Trouba have actually played well together at times but he's obviously not a long term solution and I don't want to go into the season assuming he's gonna be a placeholder on the top pairing. Hajek has tools but seems like he's struggled to bring it all together so far.
So...either a FA signing (no idea who's available) or some lower level move to bring in a solid LD might be a good move to help bridge not only this year but also going forward when Staal and Smith are def gone next year. Miller is intriguing as hell for a prospect but I imagine he's going to need at least a year in the AHL. Robertson is also intriguing as hell but he is still in juniors. So...they need something else there (maybe Ruenanen gets another shot?)

As for trading DeAngelo...poo poo man I don't think his D is as bad as people say. He's not a complete idiot back that who doesn't want to play D, doesn't know how, doesn't care. It's just not a strong part of his game, plus he's paired with fuckin' Marc Staal most of the time. But he was one of the top D scorers in the league. He runs an excellent PP. He's absolutely worth a good chunk of change with a contract or a solid return in some kind of deal. The only reasons you deal him are cap concerns, he's valuable enough to return another piece you really need, and you have Fox who looks like he could match DeAngelos production as early as next year and who plays better overall D. Plus you also have Lundkvist who could replace him in the lineup in a year and he is an absolutely excellent prospect.

Finally, while Gorton said they're taking into account how they were swept by Carolina, I wouldn't read tooooo much into all that either considering the awkward way the tournament started and to me it really felt to me like the Rangers just didn't get up to speed fast enough. If this was at the end of a real season I think they would have been more prepared and it's hard to draw a ton of conclusions from 3 games after a 4month layoff

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Levitate posted:

As for trading DeAngelo...poo poo man I don't think his D is as bad as people say. He's not a complete idiot back that who doesn't want to play D, doesn't know how, doesn't care.

I'm sorry, what?

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Levitate posted:

And yeah, they have assets they can use to acquire another center or LD, just kinda depends on what is out there.
The other thing is that you don't need a top flight amazing 2C if you're sticking him with superstar wingers. While I want someone better than Strome, he DID do pretty well this year riding shotgun with Panarin.
You don't need a Crosby-Malkin 1-2 down the middle if you have really strong wingers. Zibanejad is ace and isn't being carried by Panarin or anything so you have him handle the heavy lifting and get a guy who is good enough to ride shotgun effectively with Panarin and Kakko or Buch or something and then you give Chytil good enough wingers taht he's not having to drag around the corpse of Brett Howden and Brendan Lemieux

For next season unless they're trying to be a contender I dont' think they HAVE to find a 2C if they can bring back Strome for a not stupid price. If they can't do that then moving him and some other stuff to bring in a different player is probably better than giving Strome 5 years $6 mill or something stupid. Left D might be the real big place they need to make a move...You have Staal, Lindgren, Smith, Hajek...and so far only Lindgren looks like someone you want to keep around long term and he's more of a complementary "riding shotgun" piece to Adam Fox right now.
Staal sucks and drags everyone down but I doubt is going anywhere unless it's for salary concerns. Smith...sucks but is hilarious in that he can be really good or really bad and often that happens within the span of about 10 seconds, over and over. Guy just never learned how to play within his strengths. He and Trouba have actually played well together at times but he's obviously not a long term solution and I don't want to go into the season assuming he's gonna be a placeholder on the top pairing. Hajek has tools but seems like he's struggled to bring it all together so far.
So...either a FA signing (no idea who's available) or some lower level move to bring in a solid LD might be a good move to help bridge not only this year but also going forward when Staal and Smith are def gone next year. Miller is intriguing as hell for a prospect but I imagine he's going to need at least a year in the AHL. Robertson is also intriguing as hell but he is still in juniors. So...they need something else there (maybe Ruenanen gets another shot?)

As for trading DeAngelo...poo poo man I don't think his D is as bad as people say. He's not a complete idiot back that who doesn't want to play D, doesn't know how, doesn't care. It's just not a strong part of his game, plus he's paired with fuckin' Marc Staal most of the time. But he was one of the top D scorers in the league. He runs an excellent PP. He's absolutely worth a good chunk of change with a contract or a solid return in some kind of deal. The only reasons you deal him are cap concerns, he's valuable enough to return another piece you really need, and you have Fox who looks like he could match DeAngelos production as early as next year and who plays better overall D. Plus you also have Lundkvist who could replace him in the lineup in a year and he is an absolutely excellent prospect.

Finally, while Gorton said they're taking into account how they were swept by Carolina, I wouldn't read tooooo much into all that either considering the awkward way the tournament started and to me it really felt to me like the Rangers just didn't get up to speed fast enough. If this was at the end of a real season I think they would have been more prepared and it's hard to draw a ton of conclusions from 3 games after a 4month layoff

I mentioned Granlund above and I think he would be a very nice fit for them. Strome will probably cost considerably more because Granlund is coming off of a down year.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/PierreVLeBrun/status/1293258281062764544

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

DeAngelo is 24 and can't play defense in front of his own net yet above a third pairing/tweener level. Regardless what your opinion of him as an individual is, that's probably about as good as he can do. Which was alongside Jack Johnson, the worst performance in elimination play.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

ThinkTank posted:

Yeah most mocks had him in the late teens or early 20s. He was a super late riser and there wasn't any indication that he was going to go anywhere near as high as he did.

Not the same level of jump, but Kotkaniemi at 3 was the biggest "pick for need" selection in recent years. He was considered a top ten pick but no one had him that high until like 24 hours before the draft. That's big centre lust for ya.

The 2018 draft had a few odd things, if I recall correctly. Didn't people think Tkachuk should have gone lower? And I remember people pumped that Zadina was still there at 6.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

"It might be small, but I'm quick too!"

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

why don't you take bergevin instead, florida

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

DOOMocrat posted:

DeAngelo is 24 and can't play defense in front of his own net yet above a third pairing/tweener level. Regardless what your opinion of him as an individual is, that's probably about as good as he can do. Which was alongside Jack Johnson, the worst performance in elimination play.

I don't think we should take a ton from the play in tournament. I agree he looked like poo poo but 3 games after a 4 month layoff is a dumb way to evaluate any player.

And ya'll do realize he was 4th in the league in scoring for defensemen this season before the 'rona hit right?

He's not good defensively but I"m again amazed that everyone seems to want to ignore that he was gonna put up over 60 points and act like that's nothing

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Levitate posted:

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

lol

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

also to be honest I have no idea whos advanced stats we're using these days or which ones or whatever but my impression previously is that DeAngelo has graded out pretty well in terms of outperforming his defensive deficiencies

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

The Trapezoid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Levitate posted:

also to be honest I have no idea whos advanced stats we're using these days or which ones or whatever but my impression previously is that DeAngelo has graded out pretty well in terms of outperforming his defensive deficiencies

It's whichever ones you dig up to fit your narrative op. How do you think I make such insufferable posts?