Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Joe Slowboat posted:

Ok but what I want to know is, what does Mookie think you need to have to survive in the wilderness? Where was cabin guy (or Snout!) getting food? Clothes? Did they have any kind of water storage or did they literally just drink out of the river?
There’s something deeply frustrating in this ‘return to the simple life’ idea when that simple life is imagined as more or less sitting in an apartment writing while an invisible, implicit wife or mother does all the basic work to keep you alive.

We saw him picking fruit once, so there you go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

I'm realizing that by peaking ahead I've ruined what I'm sure Mookie thought was a slow build up between the two strips, since under normal circumstances we would have waited at least a day to see strip #3. But, come on, Mookie, as soon as you the vines were talking in strip 2 it was obvious they were evil. This is such a cliche it's almost painful to watch him play it out like this.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

lol so the ominously looking evil cabin was evil after all! Who would have thought?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Snout has learned that the cabin covered in evil looking vines... Is covered in evil vines

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Rotten Red Rod posted:

It's something I discovered when I, to my great shame, paid $3 to Mookie's patreon to see the Legacy preview art.

If this character is named Shelldis Fern... Watch out.

Oof. I draw the line at giving Mookie money. Thanks for taking one for the team.

loving Mookie. That pun doesn't even work. There is no "romance" in "necromancy." The joke is "putting the romance back in necromancer." How hard is this?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Chapter 4.3

hurp

blurp

Just replace these baby sounds in your head with insightful commentary

And here we get to the main theme of this chapter…

RACISMS

But then the guy who is one of the bad guys says a thing that suggests that he is not one of the guys who is bad?

You mean… People who are fighting for a cause often believe their cause is the just one, and aren’t just cartoon villains? WHAT IS THIS SORCERY

lol

Danica… You are dumb.

I don’t know if it’s Stockholm syndrome* or what but I actually find the running gag of this guy trying to go through the gate amusing in a non-ironic way

* not actually a real thing

Oh so I guess you DIDN’T have a Star Power tracker then? WEIRD

And you thought the buildings and places you were attacking weren’t full of people? You were just a dumbass, then?

Oh give me a loving break

I don’t have any commentary other than this annoys me

Danica is told to go back and observe, but not to interfere. She is very sad about this.

“The Star Powered Sentinels must never kill. If they do, I will loving murder them. Zel Gux means Love and Compassion!”

Yep it’s another doggamn test. Test upon test. Recursive tests. Infinity tests.

Danica goes back to find

(By the way would you believe I didn’t notice one side has green hair and one has purple until this moment. I am also dumb)

“It really broke me when I went out and had to take part in heinous acts. Oh by the way I still didn’t kill anyone

“Rather than someone actually qualified to do it.”

We start to get some backstory on why Burke was discharged.

Womp womp

So my final thoughts on this issue. It’s…

Pretty good.

Yes. This issue is good. There are actual stakes and an actual conflict – a war that Danica has been thrown in the middle of, that she can’t ignore morally even though it would go against her orders to do so, but there’s no clear answer as to WHAT to do because neither side seems overtly right or wrong. Like, you know, a real-world conflict. She can’t solve this one with just her fists, and it’s causing her immense turmoil. This is the kind of character moment she needs, that will break her worldview, and hopefully, come out the other side a stronger person.

For once I have actual hopes for this comic and I’m excited to find out what happens next!

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Aug 16, 2020

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Don't worry when you find out why these sides are fighting you'll go right back to disappointment.

Or how she gets out of it.

Also keep in mind my thesis of "Mookie is an apologist for US Empire" when you get to the end of issue 5.

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Aug 11, 2020

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
I’m 1000% positive this ends with Danica asserting her might over the elves and telling them their conflict is stupid and to get over it. The purple elf implies his race was enslaved at a time but there’s no way he’ll take that into consideration. The green elves will have a reason for hating the purple elves too and it’ll be considered a balance to the purple elves’ hatred and Danica will be the noble centrist who tells everyone they’re dumbasses. I feel this, I feel it in every bone.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

The Little Death posted:

Don't worry when you find out why these sides are fighting you'll go right back to disappointment.

Or how she gets out of it.

Also keep in mind my thesis of "Mookie is an apologist for US Empire" when you get to the end of issue 5.

SHHHHHHH

I've read all of it I'm just having fun building it up

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I like how the robot seems to be saying there is always a correct answer that can be determined and it will always be obvious and further will never require killing except to kill the people that made the wrong decision.

I am sure the robot will be proven correct.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

"Trying your best and failing" and "intentionally causing the deaths of millions because you're evil" are clearly the exact same thing

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Rotten Red Rod posted:

"Trying your best and failing" and "intentionally causing the deaths of millions because you're evil" are clearly the exact same thing

I can't believe the Democrats would...

Hey, this isn't C-SPAM.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

The Little Death posted:

I'm realizing that by peaking ahead I've ruined what I'm sure Mookie thought was a slow build up between the two strips, since under normal circumstances we would have waited at least a day to see strip #3. But, come on, Mookie, as soon as you the vines were talking in strip 2 it was obvious they were evil. This is such a cliche it's almost painful to watch him play it out like this.

Yeah, there would have been a full day of "What the hell, he's tracing Thoreau" too before the evil turn.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Thoreau is, at least, a fitting influence, being a man who marveled at the beauty of nature and the power of the wild world apart from civilization because he camped out in a friend's back yard.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Rotten Red Rod posted:

(By the way would you believe I didn’t notice one side has green hair and one has purple until this moment. I am also dumb)

The eyes and ears are different, too!

The greenies have white scleras and brown irises; and their ears go to the side.

The purplies have blue scleras and yellow irises; and their ears go straight up.

Also the greenies style their hair like troll dolls; while purplies love their buns.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah I know, it took me even longer to notice the eye thing though. I'm usually focused on the dialogue looking for dumb stuff when I read this comic and glossed right over it.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

It kind of says a lot when your inspiration that stems from retreating to a cabin in a woods for some wellness and disconnection is "I should write a horror story about a cabin in the woods".

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Speaking of uninspired concepts, Star Power has some mighty lame world building going on. This planet that’s been untouched by the federation for generations use generic gray guns, mechs that look like earth scorpions and they live in earth-like cities with PAVED STREETS THAT HAVE YELLOW LINES ON THEM??? Just be creative one time.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Hey now, once side has RED guns

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
I take it all back leave these Tolkiens to their work.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

TheHan posted:

I’m 1000% positive this ends with Danica asserting her might over the elves and telling them their conflict is stupid and to get over it. The purple elf implies his race was enslaved at a time but there’s no way he’ll take that into consideration. The green elves will have a reason for hating the purple elves too and it’ll be considered a balance to the purple elves’ hatred and Danica will be the noble centrist who tells everyone they’re dumbasses. I feel this, I feel it in every bone.

It's worse than this. I don't want to tease but this is legimately the point where I was like, oh my god the Mookieologists of the deegan thread need to read this comic.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

sssssshhhhh

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Yeah I'll stop. I'm like a 10 year old spoiling it for everyone else in the Movie theater.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
The Mookie theater

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Alright I can’t sleep anyway, so gently caress it, LET’S DO THIS

Chapter 4.4

Doing great there Danica! Also nice copy-paste Garth, lol

She resolves to solve this however she can. A good page!

Flashing back to Danica’s past, and quite a nuanced and positive message: it’s hard to tell who the good and bad guys are in a conflict, but the aid workers are real heroes. I… Agree!

And so that’s what she does. We begin with the purple-haired elves’ side of the story…

So the green elves were oppressing the purple elves.

And then the purple elves… Uh… Just… Found some tanks I guess? Ok, that’s… Kinda dumb.

But now THEY racist and bad! And they fighting back, and violence bad, so, uh, both… Sides bad?

Sorry, but this explanation of the conflict really bugs me, and it reminds me very much of the Vox Populi in Bioshock Infinite, a game whose story (and gameplay) I really wanted to like but ended up making me very angry. The Vox Populi are assorted minorities forced to do slave labor by the Colombians, and their uprising and rebellion is a big part of the game’s story. For the most part, they’re portrayed as the ones in the right, freedom fighters… Because, well, they are, they’re slaves fighting their oppressors.

Then their leader decides to threaten to kill a kid and you have to kill her, after which all the Vox Populi are hostile to you. The message here is, uh, racism and slavery bad, so… Fighting racism and slavery with force of arms… Also bad?

And yes I know in a DLC on it’s revealed (retconned) that she did it on purpose to provoke you to kill her to set events in motion but that’s even more dumb so gently caress that

She gets the side of the greenies, which puts a good amount more nuance on the situation. My previous point still stands, but FINE Mookie, I’ll go along with this because I like that you're actually building a tough situation with empathy for both sides.

Well… For the most part.

More comparisons. I’m still annoyed about that “they just found some tanks” thing. You’d think that’d be a plot point, like about the ancient civilization that left them there, but… Nah.

Oopsie poopsie!

We flash over to Purple Lady and Burke for a bit, and get some backstory on both. Purple Lady grew up on some mean streets and was entangled with crime families. (More on that in a few chapters.)

Burke discovered his CO was smuggling people, and he was discharged for killing him. (Also more on that in a few chapters.)

Back with Danica, and negotiations are going… Poorly.

Burke narrates as Danica continues to fail. This is it, her lowest point – she has no moral guidance, no experience in diplomacy, no knowledge of these peoples’ culture. She must now make tough decisions and pull a win out of a no-win scenario. Truly stop the violence instead of punching it into submission. There is no black or white here.

Just like the real world, it’s shades of – wait, what?

Wait. No. Rewind. What did he just say?

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Aug 16, 2020

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

While Rotten Red Rob recovers, presenting to you the ending text dumps from this chapter.

Now, given The absurdly on the nose comparisons in the above, we realize that Mookie's point is that war is dumb and people who fight wars are dumb and can't we all just get along. I'm tempted to say this is supposed to be some tortured Israel/Palestine metaphor, but I think it's more of a general pastiche of every sectarian or ethnoreligious conflict Mookie has seen on the news.

Again, please recall this when you see how Danica and Space America the Millenium Federation resolve their envolvement in this conflict.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

oh and by the way danica gets gold armor

WHO CARES

I DON'T

The Little Death posted:

Now, given The absurdly on the nose comparisons in the above, we realize that Mookie's point is that war is dumb and people who fight wars are dumb and can't we all just get along. I'm tempted to say this is supposed to be some tortured Israel/Palestine metaphor, but I think it's more of a general pastiche of every sectarian or ethnoreligious conflict Mookie has seen on the news.

Again, please recall this when you see how Danica and Space America the Millenium Federation resolve their envolvement in this conflict.

Also they are wood elves vs city elves which is lol

Edit: Nice typo, Mookie

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Aug 12, 2020

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Rotten Red Rod posted:

oh and by the way danica gets gold armor

WHO CARES

I DON'T

Oh Wow, so cool! Super invested in this story now that starlady faces even less danger.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Also they are wood elves vs city elves which is lol

Also yes lol, it's the country mouse/city mouse wars. Again, I'm not saying every work needs to be a masterful political allegory, but when you're trying to make a point of about conflict and its pointlessness, it would help if you wouldn't paint the sides as absurd caricatures. Children's media has more nuance than this.

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Aug 12, 2020

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Well it DID introduce the true villain of the story

THESE FLOORBOARDS

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

:psyboom:

Goddammit you actually got me to read the pages instead of just your summaries for once, and...

AGGGH!

This is legitimately the closest he’s ever gotten to making an actually salient point with his works. It’s like he finally caught a Hail Mary pass and ran it down the field, then fumbled it at the 1-yard line.

Putting her into a situation where there’s no clear cut right or wrong side in a brutal conflict is compelling! Being forced to realize that no matter what she does in this situation, someone/everyone is going to come out of it hurting worse than before, and coming to terms with the fact that all of her cosmic power is worth Jack poo poo makes her relatable!

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

This remains as true as ever:

PMush Perfect posted:

If there's one thing this thread has proven, it's that Mookie retains his mastery of wasted potential.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I am genuinely curious about the writing process here. It's so close to a decent point that the swerve has to have come from an outside source. Like Garth came up with the core idea and Mookie broke out in hives and hyperventilated until he could Saturday Morningfy the morals into something his child-brain could understand. Mookie's talent is skillfully writing a completely different story, but this is such a perfect swerve...

Kavak fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Aug 12, 2020

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I don't understand what's going on in the bit after Whatsherface falls through the floor? both purple and green hair elfs are the Starting-With-E style of elves?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Thread necromancy!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Well one of us could just read Star Power and see what his writing is like now

lol no one will

gently caress

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I regret everything

ah, there we go

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

The Little Death posted:

Oh Wow, so cool! Super invested in this story now that starlady faces even less danger.

Her toes are still undefended. Someone could put an Achilles maneuver on her. :ohdear:

Just kidding.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Well it DID introduce the true villain of the story

THESE FLOORBOARDS

It's amusing to note that, once again, Mookie's protagonist stumbles upon the "solution" to the conflict out of pure dumb luck. She's accidentally pushed in the hideaway of the non-fanatical-genocider refugees.

Zereth posted:

I don't understand what's going on in the bit after Whatsherface falls through the floor? both purple and green hair elfs are the Starting-With-E style of elves?

It's a portmanteau, which is the summit of Mookie-style cleverness. The warring elves are Evebians and Vebenians, the mixed elves are Evebenians. I suppose Vebevebians didn't sound good to Mookie's ears.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Zereth posted:

They're the ones who just want to get along. Race-mixing essentially. Both sides zealots, here are the reasonable people.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

So, my guess is Danica is going to make some Big Speech using the black* elves and make everyone get along, but that doesn't fit in with the US interventionism metaphor people have been teasing so this gets stupider.

*Mixed green and purple turns black, chosen for inauspiciousness

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

It’s going to end with the federation bombarding the hell out of the armies (and miraculously nobody else), isn’t it.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Flashing back to Danica’s past, and quite a nuanced and positive message: it’s hard to tell who the good and bad guys are in a conflict, but the aid workers are real heroes. I… Agree!

It's also literally a Fred Rogers quote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

So, like

This is very minor but: she can fly effortlessly. And fell through floorboards.