Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
A child putting googily eyes on any object and treating it like a toy makes it a sentient creature with an irresistible urge to be held and played with by children. To the point where it will violate the very laws of physics to fulfill its purpose.

Which means a 5 year old sticking plastic eyeballs on an AR-15 creates a very problematic situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The latter is probably more plausible, though might be more that the consciousness and personality of the toys is shaped by their design- Buzz, who has a decent amount of backstory and identity at least through marketing and the box blurb, takes a while to realise it is actually just box blurb, though it still informs his baseline personality. Likewise, toys like the Barbies tend to act like you expect them to. (And remember Barbie has had a zillion jobs) Mr Potato Head's identity is specifically as a toy with detachable and rearrangable parts, and I imagine we can figure likewise for Mrs Potato Head, and thus seeing from an eye left behind makes sense for her, just as Mr Potato Head's limbs can function independently when necessary.

Toy Story 2 sort of gives the lie to this, though, since Woody has no idea he's got a backstory and identity beyond "Woody the Cowboy" until he encounters the other toys in his lineup. It would be interesting to see a prequel that dealt with that - perhaps a fading of memory as the Woody toys fell off the shelves and Woody acclimates himself to being a (singular) child's toy instead of part of a media blitz.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Easily explained away as a result of the head injury he sustained after Grandpa Gohan adopted him.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Krispy Wafer posted:

A child putting googily eyes on any object and treating it like a toy makes it a sentient creature with an irresistible urge to be held and played with by children.

That's not quite true, Forky believed himself to be trash and was obsessed with fulfilling that destiny. Which means that he remained trash mentally, that he was self-aware even as trash, and that the toy-ness only imbued him with the ability to move and communicate, which itself terrifies him. He only accepts his fate as a toy when he understands that he makes Bonnie feel the same way trash makes him feel.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Baron von Eevl posted:

The potato heads are where the series really gets hosed up for me. In the third movie Mr. Potato Head reconstructs himself by sticking his accessories into a tortilla, which then becomes him. Mrs. Potato Head leaves an eye on the other side of town and still sees through it, although only distantly. There's some real ship of Theseus implications behind them.

As one does.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Baron von Eevl posted:

That's not quite true, Forky believed himself to be trash and was obsessed with fulfilling that destiny. Which means that he remained trash mentally, that he was self-aware even as trash, and that the toy-ness only imbued him with the ability to move and communicate, which itself terrifies him. He only accepts his fate as a toy when he understands that he makes Bonnie feel the same way trash makes him feel.

I guess that’s right. So I’m not really sure what would come of Bonnie going into her dad’s gun safe with glue, some pipecleaners, and a bag of googily eyes - but it’s probably terrifying.

Forky’s existence was like throwing a hand grenade into what was already a tenuous grasp on reality in the Toy Story universe.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I haven't seen the movie, so I don't know if anybody brings this up, but I am irritated that Forky isn't a fork.

rydiafan has a new favorite as of 01:26 on Aug 10, 2020

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The meta explanation is that a kindergartener wouldn't know what a spork was. My tablet likewise doesn't know the word spork. Also the original name was "fork-face" so maybe we dodged a bullet.

edit: the bensons in 4 aren't even toys, they're stage props and yet almost fully animated.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
The Forky shorts got real weird with metaphysics and poo poo. What is Time, What is Love kind of thing. I like that Disney leaned into the innate weirdness of Forky.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forky_Asks_a_Question

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
My daughter loves all the toy story movies but I think those shorts make her uncomfortable, they're a little weird. Also they don't have enough Jessie for her liking.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

SneezeOfTheDecade posted:

Toy Story 2 sort of gives the lie to this, though, since Woody has no idea he's got a backstory and identity beyond "Woody the Cowboy" until he encounters the other toys in his lineup. It would be interesting to see a prequel that dealt with that - perhaps a fading of memory as the Woody toys fell off the shelves and Woody acclimates himself to being a (singular) child's toy instead of part of a media blitz.

Woody was just repressing memories. The loss of Sexy Doll was really hard on him, you know.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Antioch posted:

What is Love

Did this deal with teaching toddlers not to damage their toys?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Also Bo Peep wasn't exactly a toy at first, she was a lamp. Maybe Andy noticed the standees were removeable as a kid, and was like "Hey, this would be a god love interest for my games with Woody...", turning her into a toy.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Waiting for the super religious toy to give his Sinners in the Hands of an Angry Andy sermon

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I figure that's just that Woody is really old, given his show went off the air in the 50s, and been around long enough that he's developed his own identity that whatever ideas he originally came out of the box with have faded. (Although I do wonder if they contributed to his personality subtly- his main issue is definitely that he expects to be the star of the show)

Existentialism and religious philosophy are definitely the core themes of the series. You could easily read the first movie as Buzz realising his God isn't real and becoming an atheist, OR as an atheist/pagan learning to accept Christ. It's really as much just an Allegory of the Cave thing.

Ghost Leviathan has a new favorite as of 06:05 on Aug 10, 2020

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

The idea that Woody doesn't know the character his toy is based off's backstory also doesn't reconcile with the dinosaur tribe at some other kids house that the main gang go to play with in one of the shorts.

The conceit there is the kid gets a poo poo-tonne of toys, and chooses to play with his new video game instead of his full Dino-tribe(tm) set. So the dinosaurs have never been played with and don't realize they are toys, instead thinking themselves to be the mighty dinosaur warriors that their characters are.

So as I see it, straight out of the factory, toys think they are the things they are toys of, (usually with similar personalities), but then they get played with, realize and eventually accept that they are playthings, and subsequently develop their own identities. The way that the other Buzz Lightyear from Toy Story 2 has a different personality to Andy's Buzz.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
So Buzz getting played with as Mrs. Nesbitt then forever implanted English tea time into his Space Ranger personae?

I really wish we had some throw-away jokes in the sequels of Buzz drinking tea in the background then.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

The obvious answer is that when Woody was made the factory didn't have the same educational videos that modern toys get.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Could be something to be said for genre. Buzz has a tie-in cartoon (which was defictionalised, it's pretty fun) or at least enough of a persona from it to inform his character as fully immersed in a science fiction universe, while Woody's Roundup is a Howdy Doody style marionette show which it seems would have Woody breaking the fourth wall and talking to the audience, so a newly unboxed Woody might be more aware of the idea of being a toy based on a fictional character. Like if it had an action figure of Deadpool. Then again, that could get even more meta.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think being such a thoroughly loved toy for Andy kind of wiped everything else out of Woody's brain. Woody had been around for about 40 years at the time of the first movie and he never, NEVER seems at all aware of anything before Andy. Jessie still remembers Emily because of how much Emily loved her and that nobody has loved her as their favorite toy since.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Also Woody probably belonged to Andy's (I'm assuming dead) dad. He hasn't been sold since the 1950's, but Andy has the matching sheets and tie-ins. So Woody's memory has essentially been wiped twice.

He doesn't appear to have any recollection of Andy's dad (or maybe it was his mom) so their memory is goldfish-like.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Krispy Wafer posted:

Also Woody probably belonged to Andy's (I'm assuming dead) dad. He hasn't been sold since the 1950's, but Andy has the matching sheets and tie-ins. So Woody's memory has essentially been wiped twice.

He doesn't appear to have any recollection of Andy's dad (or maybe it was his mom) so their memory is goldfish-like.

Woody didn't belong to Andy's mom that was Jessie because *random ramblings from fandom because everything has to tie together always*

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

rydiafan posted:

I haven't seen the movie, so I don't know if anybody brings this up, but I am irritated that Forky isn't a fork.

No joke, my then-5-year-old kept calling him Sporky. I asked why, sort of already knowing what he'd say, and sure enough "because he's a spork!"

I think there's a British hedgehog toy who questions it in the movie, actually.

My son is also someone who called Yoshi a girl. I said why, and he said "because she lays eggs."

I mean, gender politics aside, fair point I guess.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Yoshi IS a girl

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

No joke, my then-5-year-old kept calling him Sporky. I asked why, sort of already knowing what he'd say, and sure enough "because he's a spork!"

I think there's a British hedgehog toy who questions it in the movie, actually.

My son is also someone who called Yoshi a girl. I said why, and he said "because she lays eggs."

I mean, gender politics aside, fair point I guess.

Yoshi is the name of the species and besides that males of some species can lay eggs. I suggest giving your child a better education.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Sorry ur child is a bigot

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Are Yoshi Syngnathidae or do the males generate the eggs?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

It is actually spelled “Yossy”.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

food court bailiff posted:

It is actually spelled “Yossy”.

Please do not make me think of the yussy.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Push El Burrito posted:

What do you think it smells like, ha ha

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Push El Burrito posted:

You know you want that Yossy Cookie.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm sure this has been talked to death on the forums but it's new to me since I just now got around to watching Rise of the Skywalker. So the plan is to blow up the antenna on the hidden sith planet so the sith fleet can navigate their way out. But once the Sith fleet sees what the Resistance is trying to do they transfer the navigation data to a capitol ship that then gets blown up, but the antenna is still fine, just powered down. Wouldn't all the Sith fleet have to do to fly out is power up the antenna again?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I'm sure this has been talked to death on the forums but it's new to me since I just now got around to watching Rise of the Skywalker. So the plan is to blow up the antenna on the hidden sith planet so the sith fleet can navigate their way out. But once the Sith fleet sees what the Resistance is trying to do they transfer the navigation data to a capitol ship that then gets blown up, but the antenna is still fine, just powered down. Wouldn't all the Sith fleet have to do to fly out is power up the antenna again?

So out of the forty trillion things that made this film unwatchable this was the one that stuck in your craw.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
The resistance probably didn't shut it down safely so all the data is probably corrupted

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
They were on a desert planet where you could see for miles and miles and somehow they did 3 card monte with Chewbacca and prison transports?

This thread is now just stupid poo poo from the last Star Wars movie.

Where did the second prison transport come from? How did they manage to fool a Jedi?

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Why the gently caress does Emperor Palpatine keep thinking Force Lightning is a good idea? He's 3/3 on frying himself at the end of a trilogy, like he just cannot stop himself from using it and subsequently roasting his own rear end.

I can just see him in Force Bad Guy Hell, sliding in like Kramer:

Palpatine: Guess what bitches? I just got a body again!

Count Dooku: So what? You're probably just going to electrocute yourself with Force Lightning again

Palpatine: I am not!

Ron Howard Narrator: He did.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I think someone on twitter speculated that using force lightning must be like cumming for a Sith Lord which is why he can never stop and always goes a bit nuts in the middle of it

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I am so glad I didn't bother with the new Star Wars movies. Can't imagine how pissed off I'd have been to get through three movies killing off childhood heroes and to end up with loving Palpatine being resurrected again. Because that wasn't stupid enough in the old EU, let's really run the idea into the ground.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Sunswipe posted:

Can't imagine how pissed off I'd have been to get through three movies killing off childhood heroes
Maybe wait until you're a grown up then :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

christmas boots posted:

I think someone on twitter speculated that using force lightning must be like cumming for a Sith Lord which is why he can never stop and always goes a bit nuts in the middle of it

The old ‘L Face’.