Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Eh, if you actually watch the interview in question he doesn't say it quite like that. He's the guy in charge of the physically constructed props and sets and is largely talking from that perspective. There are worms touched on in Paul's dreams and some other bits but the only *practical* thing made for the filming were some worm scales that let them simulate the sand moving over the skin on set. They won't be building practical worms until part 2. What happens with CGI isn't quite so directly under his purview.

I wouldn't be surprised if the worms in part one are largely hinted at in horror film style though. Maybe some surreal visions in the dreams and then just implied scale and maybe a bit of a mouth when the harvester goes under. But we probably won't see fully breeched worms until the second movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Isnt one of the stills they've released gurney and paul ostensibly looking at the first worm in the book

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

A good pun is like a good steak: A rare medium well done

Ingmar terdman posted:

Isnt one of the stills they've released gurney and paul ostensibly looking at the first worm in the book

That was my thinking, along with a ton of other people. But Bugblatter's rationalization makes sense to me.

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
You gotta jiggle the worm a little. Tease and entice. Then hook.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Ingmar terdman posted:

iirc you don't see much of the worm in the corresponding scene from the book - just the harvester getting swallowed up by a big hole, and oh look, the hole has teeth

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

There is definitely full worm body on display in the scene, and even little human figures are discerned on top of the worm by Paul as it leaves the scene

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Here we go:

quote:

A wide hole emerged from the sand. Sunlight flashed from glistening white spokes within it. The hole's diameter was at least twice the length of the crawler, Paul estimated. He watched as the machine slid into that opening in a billow of dust and sand. The hole pulled back.

Then a little later

quote:

The worm had withdrawn into the depths and now, near where the crawler had been, two figures could be seen moving north away from the sand depression. They appeared to glide over the surface with hardly a lifting of dust to mark their passage.

Not showing a full worm would be a loving cocktease tho

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Clipperton posted:

that's the point.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Yeah making movie 1 the fall of house Atreides up to maybe Paul and Jessica escaping into the desert lines up with both very-little worm interaction as well as the little-to-no Chani that we've heard about.

There is plenty of room in there for a full movie, including stuff like a big Duncan Idaho fight scene that was both displaced and very abbreviated in the Lynch version.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Clipperton posted:

Here we go:

Then a little later

guess i got the mandela effect hard

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
ooh ooh ooh

movie ends with our first full glimpse of a worm as paul and jessica flee from it after the thopter crash - it emerges from the sand then hard cut to the credits

you can have that one for free denis

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

New sandworm still!

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Duwu

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Clipperton posted:

ooh ooh ooh

movie ends with our first full glimpse of a worm as paul and jessica flee from it after the thopter crash - it emerges from the sand then hard cut to the credits

you can have that one for free denis

Movie is going to end with the orgy and credits will appear on screen during it

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

Nymphoduniac

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

the_enduser posted:

Nymphoduniac

If Villeneuve's Dune fails, I would support Lars Von Trier giving it a go

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
And Charlotte Gainsbourg as Jessica.

Yknow, we do already have Stellan Skarsgard...

Hemp Knight
Sep 26, 2004

Cacator posted:

If Villeneuve's Dune fails, I would support Lars Von Trier giving it a go

Or David Lynch.

Oh wait....

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Breen is the obvious choice

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Shane Carruth's not doing anything rn

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Clipperton posted:

Shane Carruth's not doing anything rn

Well, not any movies, at least...

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

Well, not any movies, at least...

there is a man who does not give a solitary gently caress anymore

i would LOVE to see how he'd tackle paul's prescience though

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Ingmar terdman posted:

Breen is the obvious choice

Arrakeen suddenly looking a lot like Vegas

"The sleeper must awaken. The sleeper must... awaken.

...the sleeper. must. awaken."

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Give it to Jodo, come full circle. Only he can accept the burden of this Golden Path.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

cptn_dr posted:

Give it to Jodo, come full circle. Only he can accept the burden of this Golden Path.

This ends in Jodo's sane son wearing a suit made out of salmons trying to finish this mess.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Paolomania posted:

Yeah making movie 1 the fall of house Atreides up to maybe Paul and Jessica escaping into the desert lines up with both very-little worm interaction as well as the little-to-no Chani that we've heard about.

There is plenty of room in there for a full movie, including stuff like a big Duncan Idaho fight scene that was both displaced and very abbreviated in the Lynch version.

The best will always be Thufir getting killed in the Sci-Fi mini-series by standing in a corridor and screaming "BANZAAAAI!" as all the walls explode around him.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I want to see Tarsem Singh do some big budget high concept sci fi. Not necessarily Dune, but something definitely Dune-esque.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I want to see Tarsem Singh do some big budget high concept sci fi. Not necessarily Dune, but something definitely Dune-esque.

Is it too early to remake Game of Thrones as a sci fi trilogy?

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Grendels Dad posted:

Is it too early to remake Game of Thrones as a sci fi trilogy?

So a trilogy that traces the fortunes of feudal families in a space setting?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

phasmid posted:

So a trilogy that traces the fortunes of feudal families in a space setting?

Sounds like it has potential, maybe add some sort of conflict.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Grendels Dad posted:

Sounds like it has potential, maybe add some sort of conflict.

What if the protagonist is secretly a bastard and is actually closely related to his own worst enemy?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

What if the protagonist is secretly a bastard and is actually closely related to his own worst enemy?

All Royalty Are Bastards.

ARA no wait.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Singh's work seemed to take a step back when his costume designer died. I don't know if she inspired him to make those weird beautiful movies or what, but he worked with her on The Cell, the Fall, Immortals, and Mirror Mirror (which I didn't see). His only movie credit after she died is Self/Less, which I had completely forgotten about until I looked it up. I'm not 100% sure if I saw it or not.
He also worked on the show Emerald City, which apparently existed, but I've got no recollection of it at all.

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

What if one family is given a position of power as a trap?

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

AFewBricksShy posted:

He also worked on the show Emerald City, which apparently existed, but I've got no recollection of it at all.

I watched it. It was...trying to be something, for sure. The plotting was going for a Game of Thrones thing (there were rival kingdoms and special factions with clashing internal goals and a complex political order built around magical fantasy elements), but it was rendered in an aesthetic like...well, a TV version of The Fall. None of it was in a particularly good way, if my point is unclear.

Between that and Self/Less, I don't think my expectations would be very high for any new Tarsem projects. But for sure, The Cell and The Fall are intensely great-looking, so we all still have those.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015

Mae posted:

What if one family is given a position of power as a trap?

There could be space-dragons! Like space Wyrms or something?

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Couple of leaked images today, pretty low quality so they're probably ripped from the teaser that's supposedly playing somewhere.

So teaser soon, don't spoil yourselves.

e: Trailer confirmed Sept 9th

TheOmegaWalrus fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Aug 26, 2020

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Apropos of nothing, considering how much fight choreography has been influences by Filipino martial arts over the past 15 years or so, I'm confident that the Kung Fu On Sand Dunes will at least be decent.

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

A good pun is like a good steak: A rare medium well done
Oh my god I read a breakdown of what's in the teaser that's playing before Tenet and I'm coming to the conclusion that I'm going to be insufferable once the full trailer drops.

I must not hype

Hype is the dream killer

It is the cognitive dissonance that brings total disappointment

I will fact check my hype

I will prevent it it to pervert me and overjoy me

And when it has lowered I will turn away the inflated expectations to see the truth

Where the hype has gone there will be disappointment

Only impatience remains

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Mulva posted:

The answer is Duncan Idaho is his special OC DO NOT STEAL character. There is literally no reason he should be relevant after book two, and even that is pushing it, but he's right up there being super special to the very end. Why? gently caress if I know, he was basically irrelevant in life.

Duncan is morally upstanding and, above all, loyal. He's a physical and biological splinter of the past, a sort of Ur-masculine figure, and the closest thing to Frank's "voice" in the entire series. His decision to say "gently caress this" to everything at the end means he becomes the embodiment of the political freedom Leto II saw would allow mankind to escape from man and machine alike. Murbella + Duncan and the prophet Sheanna combined with Honored Matres martial arts and poo poo and Bene Gesserit biological immunity would have basically allowed them to conquer everything but Duncan was like, nah, peace.

KaptainKrunk fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Aug 26, 2020