Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

RealFoxy posted:

It wasn't just that, it was super linear and the re-playability was stripped from it too. In 2 if you wanted to unlock everything it wasn't a big deal to play it 5, 6 more times to unlock the other costumes/infinite weapons/S Ranks because it was so fun and you could learn different/better routes or more creative ways of avoiding zombies.

REmake 3 was just a straight path, a shorter story, and the rewards for multiple clears just weren't as appealing or challenging. RE3 was kinda like a stripped-down DLC on another less powerful console because they didn't have the space on a 3DS cartridge. It's still fun in a bubble, it's just a really small bubble.

It was this. Well put. ANd I liked the game it just wasn't addictive like RE2 was.

You never got that sense of being lost, short on ammo or compelled to explore much at all. And on replays, there was precious little "gonna do THIS this time, boy" beyond "use these items I unlocked".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I started playing RE3make recently and the zombie stuff is alright but I just can't stand the Nemesis boss fights. Not fun at all. Far too linear as well, as has been mentioned. No idea how the dodge mechanic works either - have done it a few times but only by complete accident. I could practice it on a zombie but... I don't want to be attacked by a zombie so I just shoot them or walk past instead.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

What really weirded me out about RE3Make was the complete lack of costumes, especially when the original went hog wild giving Jill extra outfits, as well as having extra outfits in other consoles.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
That it also explicitly isn't about to get any post-release content and wasn't planned to from the beginning says a lot about how much of an afterthought it is when compared to RE2make, even from the business perspective.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

cargohills posted:

I started playing RE3make recently and the zombie stuff is alright but I just can't stand the Nemesis boss fights. Not fun at all. Far too linear as well, as has been mentioned. No idea how the dodge mechanic works either - have done it a few times but only by complete accident. I could practice it on a zombie but... I don't want to be attacked by a zombie so I just shoot them or walk past instead.

Press the dodge button and roll away with proper timing like you're playing Dark Souls. If you do it perfectly you get a little speed-lines effect and can do slow mo shooting. Any dodge is good if you evade damage. It's a lot harder on the zombies since they always put out a grapple hurtbox.

You should set up a save and practice a few times when Nemesis chases you or on a Nemesis boss fight, nailing dodges vs Nemesis can be done consistently. Nemesis is pretty well designed for his first chase and boss fights(dodge timings on the first boss fight are really fair), he's just like the original RE3. You can't survive by not dodging his attacks, he's made to disrupt the comfort zone of veteran RE players and to be part of the new dodge system. Likewise you can't fully evade him without fighting or dodging him, he's always faster than Jill.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Did anyone here play Daymare: 1998? Is it worth playing, or should I find an LP if I'm that curious?

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

its really bad, just watch a lp

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I refuse to play it based on title alone.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Leavemywife posted:

Did anyone here play Daymare: 1998? Is it worth playing, or should I find an LP if I'm that curious?

It's really bad and boring but does have a cool twist after the credits. But not worth slogging through for that.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
What's the twist? I doubt I'll ever touch that game, I've seen enough footage to know that it's legitimately terrible.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Kibayasu posted:

I followed the company when they were originally working on the RE2 remake (unofficial) before Capcom did their own. When I saw that title, I wanted so bad to reach out to them, maybe I even did comment on some posts and be like guys, this ain't gonna work.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I paid money for and played Afterfall Insanity and I very much doubt Daymare could be worse than that but come on with that name.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Kibayasu posted:

Does it even take place during the day?

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
Just wanted to pop in and report that I've been playing Resident Evil 7 lately and it is exactly as good as everybody else has been saying it is. It's easily my next favorite after RE2. I'm enjoying the first-person way more than I expected to, and the searching for items in cupboards and underneath furniture and stuff like that is great. Just got passed the boss fight in the greenhouse and that was honestly a pain in the rear end and a huge resource drain, but everything up to that point has been superb. I haven't made a great effort to avoid spoilers online before playing, so a lot of the content I'm familiar with already, but playing it puts it on a whole other level. I've just been heaving a really great time with it, and getting back to the more methodical exploratory focused gameplay is so refreshing after playing RE3.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Davinci posted:

Just wanted to pop in and report that I've been playing Resident Evil 7 lately and it is exactly as good as everybody else has been saying it is. It's easily my next favorite after RE2. I'm enjoying the first-person way more than I expected to, and the searching for items in cupboards and underneath furniture and stuff like that is great. Just got passed the boss fight in the greenhouse and that was honestly a pain in the rear end and a huge resource drain, but everything up to that point has been superb. I haven't made a great effort to avoid spoilers online before playing, so a lot of the content I'm familiar with already, but playing it puts it on a whole other level. I've just been heaving a really great time with it, and getting back to the more methodical exploratory focused gameplay is so refreshing after playing RE3.

My one complaint is that they never brought the VR mode to Steam. :argh:

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Kibayasu posted:

I paid money for and played Afterfall Insanity and I very much doubt Daymare could be worse than that but come on with that name.

"i paid for strychnine brownies to eat, that having been said i don't see why i wouldn't drink from bleach i found on the side of the road but cleanch? come on, try a little harder with the name!"

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Look we all went a little crazy during the sales heyday of Steam and everyone’s a little nostalgic right now.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Jack is a spooky boi

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

What's the twist? I doubt I'll ever touch that game, I've seen enough footage to know that it's legitimately terrible.

not-HUNK (Liev) wasn't actually a traitor like you've been thinking the entire game, the helicopter pilot Sandman was the real traitor and orchestrated the entire event to sell Hexacore secrets to a rival pharmaceutical company in exchange for experimental treatment to cure his sick and dying daughter. The wife of one of the protagonists (Sam), was also in on the whole thing and was spying on him for being one of the children with Daymare syndrome, an experiment done by Hexacore to as part of a social engineering experiment sanctioned by the US government.

Not worth playing the game for but the twists did kind of surprise me.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I thought Daymare was very much OK, a janky indie take on the same formula that would be perfected by RE2make. It's worth playing, just at an extremely low price point.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

BisbyWorl posted:

My one complaint is that they never brought the VR mode to Steam. :argh:

I didn’t know that. That’s stupid as hell.

RE7 was good overall but the game does take a bit of a dive after The Choice.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i think everything after the first part of the mansion is just not as good as the mansion, but part of that illusion is that by that point you've seen every single enemy in the game and you will be seeing them again for the rest of the game.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

The thing about RE 7 is the mansion feels like classic RE with the item hoarding and backtracking and poo poo. It just gets more linear as the game goes on from there. Even so it was an incredibly refreshing back to basics experience.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

rabidsquid posted:

i think everything after the first part of the mansion is just not as good as the mansion, but part of that illusion is that by that point you've seen every single enemy in the game and you will be seeing them again for the rest of the game.
Parts of Margaret are still unsettling, but by the time you're at the third act the tension is totally gone and you're doing kinda fun Saw movie puzzles. Most horror games taper off though, when I was a teenager playing RE4 I thought I had made it through the scary part until I made it to the Novistadores and I was scared shitless again. Then on the island I thought I was fine again until the Regeneradors and Iron Maidens. RE4 did such a good job at throwing scary poo poo at you every time you thought you saw it all. Saddler wasn't poo poo, but there were tense moment through every stage of the game.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I think RE7 is a really good and fun game overall, but the experience really is so heavily front-loaded with all the best stuff that everything after Jack just feels like a bit of a let-down by comparison. He's just a tough act to follow.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
i bought the re7 steelbook the other day and i now own all playstation resident evil steelbooks to date, going all the way back to ps2. do i win a prize, thread?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Vikar Jerome posted:

i bought the re7 steelbook the other day and i now own all playstation resident evil steelbooks to date, going all the way back to ps2. do i win a prize, thread?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Bout to fire up RE7 again for the first time in a while which will be fun because I don't remember much about it and my kid likes watching me play these games. Last time we played RE7 though, he legit peed his pants when Mia first showed up so we're gonna try again.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Good luck, I still got squicked out by a few of the more gross/visceral moments when I played it a few months back :sweatdrop:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Yeah, he's not into it because there's no zombie shooting like he's used to.

But he DID just come up with a really cool idea for a new RE game. At least I liked it.

It takes place in a prison and you start out in solitary confinement or something, at the bottom of the jail, while the outbreak takes over the facility. So all the guards, the other prisoners and the SWAT team or whatever that's sent in to quell the outbreak all get zombied out and and you have to fight and kill your way out, unlocking doors and cell blocks and finding weapons to work your way through, floor by floor and level by level.

The resource management and maze like level design this would offer, along with all the locked doors, key cards, weapons, medical areas and secret passages basically write themselves and fit in perfectly with the formula. Finding enough weapons to shoot your way past zombie prison guards and zombie inmates would be fun. Maybe have the opening cinematic set up let you meet certain rear end in a top hat guards, nasty inmates, cheesy lawyers, the corrupt judge that sent you down and a whole bunch of dick heads that make your journey into solitary a living hell and then you meet them all in zombie form on your way out that make them really fun to kill. I dig it.

There was an old survival horror game on PS2 that took place in a jail but I forget the name of it and it had a different tone to what my kid just came up with.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Oh, that PS2 game you're thinking of was probably The Suffering, which is a game that I wish would get a remake because it had some neat ideas but really rough execution.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Revelations 2 opens in a prison if I remember correctly. It has some of the vibe you're describing

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Crowetron posted:

Oh, that PS2 game you're thinking of was probably The Suffering, which is a game that I wish would get a remake because it had some neat ideas but really rough execution.

That was it. I think I remember liking it for a while but never finishing it. I forget why

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Does RE3R make anyone else's PS4 (regular) sound like it's about to explode? Even The Last of Us 2 doesn't make it go into turbo mode the way RE3R does.

Unrelated, but I think RE3R is a great speed(y)run game. I didn't really like my first playthrough, mostly because I think the RE2R-style zombies aren't a good fit for a more action-oriented game. But when you're blowing through everything the pace feels just right.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The recent RE remake games are fairly well-known for having very good optimization and performance, so that is a bit strange. Have you looked at your settings? Maybe something went weird.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
They should put Outbreak on digital shops, not like a remake, or even a remaster - just to preserve the game and make it easier to play.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Crowetron posted:

I thought its sequel, Ties That Bind, was a solid iteration on the first game's concepts in every way besides base difficulty.

That game wasn't hard, it was just blatantly unfair.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

JordanKai posted:

Does RE3R make anyone else's PS4 (regular) sound like it's about to explode? Even The Last of Us 2 doesn't make it go into turbo mode the way RE3R does.

Unrelated, but I think RE3R is a great speed(y)run game. I didn't really like my first playthrough, mostly because I think the RE2R-style zombies aren't a good fit for a more action-oriented game. But when you're blowing through everything the pace feels just right.

I’ve never played any disc game that didn’t make a PS4 sound like it was gonna explode.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

JordanKai posted:

Yes but only on the main menu. Other games do it as well, supposedly it’s because the menu frame rates are uncapped so the PS4 really goes to town.

That being said my PS4 is the final hardware revision of the original model and nearing 5 years old, so the thermal compound is probably shagged out by this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Yes but only on the main menu. Other games do it as well, supposedly it’s because the menu frame rates are uncapped so the PS4 really goes to town.

That being said my PS4 is the final hardware revision of the original model and nearing 5 years old, so the thermal compound is probably shagged out by this point.

I really hope devs stop doing that poo poo in the next gen. I hate rolling around in Nioh 2 with everything smooth and chill until I pop into the blacksmith and suddenly my PS4 Pro starts begging for the sweet release of death.