Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

It's digital, so no mechanical pot. I'll still try some cleaner and see... that may make the difference, I've often used it in dusty conditions. It may just be brushes, too... I just don't know what the digital version looks for in ramping up the rpms... it was definitely seeing something it didn't like and backing the speed back down.

Edit: And one of the few times I don't quote and it ends up being a shameful snipe. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

Krakkles posted:

I pondered this for awhile and ended up buying the Astro 65SL (link)

It’s bright as fuuuuuuck, the battery is decent, and it’s not using tool batteries.

I like the idea of the Milwaukee lights, but I don’t think the M12s are bright enough, and M18 batteries are too premium to waste on light.

I ordered up the Astro, it looks good. Thanks for the advice, all!

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

meatpimp posted:

drat. I'm glad I didn't get one. M12, I'm assuming?

Yeah, it was the m12.
In fairness, mine did live in some dirty environments, but never the less, it had the same problems as those noted in various online reviews. I might've even posted in here, or the tools thread in DIY that I took it to a local repair place and the guy was all "M12 line sucks" and "there are no repair parts for this thing". I looked online and didn't see any parts availability for it. Unlike my ~10ish year old non fuel m18 drill, impact etc..

My only option to get it fixed was to bring it to the actual Milwaukee return centre or whatever it was called and get a new one, but it was massively inconvenient to do so, so I just took one for the team and kept using it until it croaked.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Ooh, I have some experience here. So, I'm pretty generally pro Red Team, but the M12 dremel is one of the tools I've had less than ideal experiences with. I bought one a few years ago, used it for a while in fairly light usage, then had one day of cutting plastic (modifying a dash panel for a stereo install) which resulted in magic smoke exiting and the power switch no longer functioning.

Hit up milwaukee's website, got referred to a local service center. Went to the local service center, they strongly encouraged me to just send it to Milwaukee because they "don't really work with people who aren't pros". I ended up buying a second one, sending the first one back to Milwaukee to be repaired, and now I have two. I haven't used the one I received back yet, because the second one has kept working, but I also don't often do several batteries at a time of cutting.

All that to say ... probably one of the few red tools I've used that I'm not super impressed with. It's fine, mostly, but I don't really trust it, and the experience of trying to get it repaired was just weird.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Wiha has a promo right now where you can get a bundle of tools for $100, you pick the tools. Supposedly worth over $200.

https://www.wihatools.com/wiha-bundle?utm_campaign=60K%20PROMO%20IS%20HERE%20

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Do we need to have a conversation with Wiha about what pliers are?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
get long enough blades and you can hold 'em like chopsticks

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Heaven is having people using their long blades as pliers to help each other.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

That looks like $100 in tools+"$100" in swag.

Which is not a bad deal, and I almost bought it, then I remembered I have half a set of Wiha screwdrivers I've had for over a decade, plus a set of Klein Journeyman screwdrivers, plus more Knipex and Klein 2000 series pullies and cutties than you can shake a stick at.

Also several sets of metric Allen keys, including the brand new ball-end 3/8" drive set of Kobalts, of which the 5mm is permanently embedded in the power valve of my roomate's YZ125.

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

I really like my Wiha pliers wrench (having grown up with toothed cheap sliding pliers, etc). If you don't have something in that type yet (or need compound cutting pliers) and can use a set of screwdrivers and a pocket bit driver set, the Wiha deal is solid: it's good promo prices for those 3 items plus a free hat & bag.

Since I got the pliers wrench on their last big Instagram sale, have good German screwdrivers in all the sizes I care about, and a $13 Gearwrench pocket bit set for when I don't want to run down to the garage to grab tools: I think I'm going to skip this.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
This might be kind of a stupid question, but what tool do you guys like for separating balljoints? I've always used a pickle fork, either the manual kind or in an air chisel, but that's obviously pretty hard on the joints and chews up the boots. I'm going to be getting some nice rebuildable balljoints soon, rather than the sealed disposable kind I've used up to now, so I want a way to separate them in a "nice" way for e.g. changing springs.

The styles I've seen are the ones that look like two fingers and a thumb, and the ones that look like a recognizer.

What kind do you guys use if you're not going to toss the balljoint (or tierod end or whatever) after you've separated it?

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Raluek posted:

This might be kind of a stupid question, but what tool do you guys like for separating balljoints? I've always used a pickle fork, either the manual kind or in an air chisel, but that's obviously pretty hard on the joints and chews up the boots. I'm going to be getting some nice rebuildable balljoints soon, rather than the sealed disposable kind I've used up to now, so I want a way to separate them in a "nice" way for e.g. changing springs.

The styles I've seen are the ones that look like two fingers and a thumb, and the ones that look like a recognizer.

What kind do you guys use if you're not going to toss the balljoint (or tierod end or whatever) after you've separated it?

For actual ball joints on the spindle, I used this on the Nova:

It's essentially a DIY version of some GM J-### tool that's $Texas if you can actually find them. Loosen the castle nut and run it out to the end of the threads on whichever joint you're wanting to pop, put the bolt head against that, slip the socket over the other joint's threads, and then use a couple wrenches to hold the bolt head and 'loosen' the nut in the middle of the tool.

I used this when I replaced my control arms and it was turbo easy. Obviously it's not gonna work for tie rods or drag links or crap like that, but it's awesome when you have something to push against.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

The first ones are what I would call a ‘tie rod remover’ and what I generally use. I grab the pickle fork when that guy won’t fit for whatever reason. The second one is what I would call a ‘pitman arm remover’, you might be able to get it to work on some ball joints but it’s not meant for that.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Big Taint posted:

The first ones are what I would call a ‘tie rod remover’ and what I generally use. I grab the pickle fork when that guy won’t fit for whatever reason. The second one is what I would call a ‘pitman arm remover’, you might be able to get it to work on some ball joints but it’s not meant for that.

The other thing people forget is to whack the control arm or spindle or whatever with a BFH once the remover is on and tight. The shock will pop the joint free without wrecking the tool or destroying the part.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Raluek posted:

I use the first. The trick in using it is to lube the threads and tighten it up. Then smack the bolt with a hammer. Maybe retighten again, rinse, repeat. Mine is from HF and worked great.

Edit, duh, yeah smack the arm not the bolt.

Colostomy Bag fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Aug 7, 2020

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I use the "smack the forging that the taper seats into to shock it loose" trick. 3lb hammer, fits nearly every vehicle.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

sharkytm posted:

The other thing people forget is to whack the control arm or spindle or whatever with a BFH once the remover is on and tight. The shock will pop the joint free without wrecking the tool or destroying the part.

I do that, without the tool. Just loosen the castle nut.

It almost always works and I don't have to go digging around for another tool I'm not gonna end up needing.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I've learned to take the castle nut off all the way first because up here in the land of natural oxidation loctite, if I break the taper free before removing the nut completely, it's pretty good odds it'll just spin 5ever and I will be very cross about it. Even if I jack it up to reseat the taper partially it's happened. It's really annoying.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kastein posted:

I've learned to take the castle nut off all the way first because up here in the land of natural oxidation loctite, if I break the taper free before removing the nut completely, it's pretty good odds it'll just spin 5ever and I will be very cross about it. Even if I jack it up to reseat the taper partially it's happened. It's really annoying.

Yea, good point. Thinking through it, I normally take it off all the way and then just thread it back on a bit to protect the threads if it's something that's getting re-used. If it's junk that's getting replaced it's already been brapp'd off and depending on location I'll put it back on a bit. It's basically just to keep things restrained a bit when it pops and/or I miss.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

With castle nuts, I take them off, then put them on backwards until the face of the nut is flush with the threaded end and hit that. Provides a bigger, flat, area to hit.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I need to connect this kind of magnetic pin connector to a wire for a garage project. My plan was to just solder a wire to this pin on the back of the connector with my old radio shack cheap soldering iron. Any issues with this / better ideas?

(coozie included for scale)

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Also transforms the castle nut into a deformed, locking thread castle nut, if your hammer is worth its salt. Or maybe I just mechanic like a 900lb gorilla. But I've learned the hard way that *I* shouldn't be trying to hit the end of the threaded stud, even with a nut on it, because every single time I do, it ends in sadness and frustration. I'm really glad I found the trick about hitting the part the taper goes through, because I have yet to destroy anything with that one, even giving an 8lb hand sledge every bit of anger I had in me.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Yeah don’t hammer on nuts, people.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

I don't doubt that it's wrong, but it's worked for me.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Is this a rust belt thing or something? I've channeled meatpimp many times and never once deformed a nut/thread so bad that my impact wouldn't take it off.

I probably wouldn't do it on parts I'm reusing but I'd do it in a heartbeat in something that's getting tossed.

MomJeans420 posted:

I need to connect this kind of magnetic pin connector to a wire for a garage project. My plan was to just solder a wire to this pin on the back of the connector with my old radio shack cheap soldering iron. Any issues with this / better ideas?

(coozie included for scale)

Strain relief (third item) is the only issue I'd be worried about with what you mention so far - if it's just soldered on, that solder is the only thing holding it on, basically. Can you attach the wire physically in some other form so that the electrical (solder) connection isn't the only thing holding it?

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Big Taint posted:

Yeah don’t hammer on nuts, people.

Don't kink shame

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Krakkles posted:

Is this a rust belt thing or something? I've channeled meatpimp many times and never once deformed a nut/thread so bad that my impact wouldn't take it off.

It's a rust belt thing.

Also bonuspoints for linking the NASA wiring manual.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

meatpimp posted:

I don't doubt that it's wrong, but it's worked for me.

I’ve never messed up one by hammering on the non-castellated side, and I’ve done literally hundreds. I don’t live in the rust belt, though.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I've mangled some ball joints by hammering on them with a flipped over castle nut. Usually mashes the nut and also ovals out the cotter pin hole in my case. Definite rust belt here though. I normally use a .498 air hammer on the knuckle/spindle.

A cool nth way to pop ball joints free is to find a pinch point between the control arm and knuckle, compress the suspension with a floor jack, stick something in the pinch point and then lower the floor jack. Works extremely well on 6th generation Civics, and I've done it on a couple other cars with varying degrees of success. Not a good idea with stamped arms, but a good trick to know.

Cringey video I made of it forever ago
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75Jlv-ZlYuQ

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Big Taint posted:

Yeah I noticed 'em because I was borrowing a pitman arm puller from autozone, and they had a smaller one of the same design that they called a tie rod puller, so I thought hmm, maybe the bigger one would work ok on balljoints, because it would apply force straight down on it instead of at an angle. Guess it's not a thing that's done.

I don't like the hammer methods because I've chewed stuff up in the past doing that, and it just seems like a bad way to go. I don't abuse my cars with salt, but I like to use the least destructive method available to me.

Boaz, that simple spreader idea sounds pretty good, except aren't the balljoints not really inline with each other? Seems like you'd be applying the force a bit off-angle. Obviously it works for you, though, and your suspension is basically the same as mine.

Sounds like the way to go is the 3-finger ones.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Near as I can tell, they're close enough to vertical where it doesn't really make a difference. Steady pressure with a couple wrenches has the joint popped in no time.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Krakkles posted:

Strain relief (third item) is the only issue I'd be worried about with what you mention so far - if it's just soldered on, that solder is the only thing holding it on, basically. Can you attach the wire physically in some other form so that the electrical (solder) connection isn't the only thing holding it?

That is something I should definitely figure out, I still haven't figured out how I'm mounting the connectors other than my plan was to make carefully sized holes in a plastic project box. I should be able to find some way to anchor the wires in there such that it doesn't pull on the soldered connection all the time.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

MomJeans420 posted:

That is something I should definitely figure out, I still haven't figured out how I'm mounting the connectors other than my plan was to make carefully sized holes in a plastic project box. I should be able to find some way to anchor the wires in there such that it doesn't pull on the soldered connection all the time.

Add a connector to the enclosure its mounted in install the wires on the connector with a service loop by simply wrapping them around a pencil.

See: https://rbracing-rsr.com/wiring_ecu.html

CTRL+F service loop.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

Krakkles posted:

I pondered this for awhile and ended up buying the Astro 65SL (link)

It's a darn good light! Used it today for the first time. The magnet is REALLY strong.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Anyone know if the bottle jacks land outside of the 'floor jacks' exclusion on the 20% coupon?

https://www.harborfreight.com/20-ton-air-over-hydraulic-jack-95553.html
The air over hydraulic one, specifically. Going to go pick up the 20 ton press today and I'll be damned if I'm not getting the air jack too.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Hypnolobster posted:

Anyone know if the bottle jacks land outside of the 'floor jacks' exclusion on the 20% coupon?

https://www.harborfreight.com/20-ton-air-over-hydraulic-jack-95553.html
The air over hydraulic one, specifically. Going to go pick up the 20 ton press today and I'll be damned if I'm not getting the air jack too.
Easy way to test it: Put it in your cart, enter the coupon.

Appears to be outside the exclusion, I.e., work:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Using the online store to check never occurred to me.

Neat.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Yeah, nice trick. Thanks.

And here I thought I was a HF veteran.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
I've had the 20% off coupon work on the website but not in store for certain items before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Well, the 20% didn't work on the drat 20t press, and I didn't bring the jack up to the register because I was planning on a second trip so I could get the 20% on both.

e: I swear that Central Machinery never used to be excluded on the coupon

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Aug 12, 2020