Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pizzatime

M A N G A

Tell me about it.

I've been getting into manga over the past few years and I'm always looking for new recommendations. With how many manga are out there and how formulaic a big portion of them are, it can be hard to find the ones you'd enjoy reading, though. Let this OP be a little collection of the best ones I've come across so far.

JUNJI INTO

You've probably seen more than one of his horrific illustrations before or heard of The Enigma of Amigara Fault. He does a lot of short stories which you can find in various collections. There's also Gyo, Uzumaki and Tomie, all of which are available as magnificient hard cover editions, with the short story mentioned at the start of this paragraph being included as a bonus chapter of Gyo.

INIO ASANO

Slice of life stuff where poo poo usually gets real at some point. Goodnight Punpun is a real trip to read. Solanin is a sadish short story with only about 30 chapters. Dead Dead Demon’s Dededede Destruction is what the screenshot's from. Didn't read that one yet but it sure seems interesting.

HIROYA OKU

Only read the manga Gantz by this guy but that one sure kept me hooked from buying the first issue randomly on a fair to just binging all 300 something chapters. Pretty gruesome but with a bunch of heartwarming moments. Very real subject matter at times.

TAKAYUKI YAMAGUCHI

Again, the only manga I read of this fella is Shigurui. It's basically what if Naruto was depicted in a realistic way in overly graphic detail. Lots of swords slicing things off of humans. Honor is a big theme throughout.

KENTARO MIURA

Berserk. Chances are, you've heard of it. Big sword guy fighting evil demons. Manga is as old as I am and still running. That's 30 years. There's about one chapter every 6 months. Lots of filler in the middle where he's just fighting a whole bunch of giant monsters. First third is incredible. Makes you really excited for whenever something relevant happens in the manga every other year.

Honorable mentions:

BATTLE ROYALE

Pretty cool concept. Buncha teenagers are forced to fight to the death on an island. Problem is, that's about it. No big twists or any deeper meanings to be found here.

HOMUNCULUS

Interesting idea. Guy gets a hole drilled into his skull and can see people as weird distortions. Didn't really come together for me.

MONSTER

I think this one is widely celebrated but I got pretty bored of it. Serial killer mystery set in Germany.

Personally, I like the ones that leave you shook or make you think. Not so much giant explosions or partial nudity. Keep that in mind if you want to for your own recommendations, but don't feel like you need to post something I would necessarily like. Let this be a collection of all the manga anybody browsing byob would recommend.

Pizzatime fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Aug 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nut

sometimes op, when I’m reading I secretly wish naruto would be the one exploding but I feel bad and take it back but sometimes I also don’t

nut

imagine living under the tyranny of naruto

nut

why can’t my friendship and power be enough why must I rely on this child and then father and then his son

u sp33k l33t br0

Who Doesn't Like Intercourse?
I just finished Dorohedoro and it was really good.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby

Cool and informative thread OP

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs
I listen to Guts' theme when I need a good cry op

sincere posting https://youtu.be/dIoILN_KrhU

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
welcome back home pizzatime

Lil Swamp Booger Baby

prepuce repurposed posted:

I listen to Guts' theme when I need a good cry op

sincere posting https://youtu.be/dIoILN_KrhU

Chills whenever I hear it

Escape From Noise

Tekkonkinkreet is the only manga I've read entirely in Japanese. It's really great and the story and art style are super unique.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

SweetWillyRollbar posted:

Tekkonkinkreet is the only manga I've read entirely in Japanese. It's really great and the story and art style are super unique.

Matsumoto Taiyo is an unparalleled genius. Just his art is transcendental and the story and art are interwoven sublimely. I discovered him through No. 5 and then read all of Tekkonkinkreet in a single weekend. I need to get ahold of Ping Pong.