Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...

Pick posted:

I reached a point, and I don't know exactly when it happened, because as a kid you can get crushes on cartoon characters all the time, but I just hit a point where I just can't find a cartoon sexy. It just looks like a cartoon. So if the selling point if something is predicated on how sexy it is, and it's a cartoon, I'm just going to be confused. Confused and bored.
the only cartoon character i am attracted to is the medicine seller from mononoke, but that is anime so outside the scope of this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
When you get to hell you finally get to be your fursona

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

fauna posted:

the only cartoon character i am attracted to is the medicine seller from mononoke, but that is anime so outside the scope of this thread

Mononoke is a great show, my personal favorite horror anime.

Hedrigall posted:

When you get to hell you finally get to be your fursona

No, that's heaven.

In Hell you're an animal that's kind of like your fursona, but not quite right.

So if your fursona is a wolf, in hell you're a chihuahua.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
IIRC he's a spider because while alive he and his family (who are also in hell and are also spiders) were an organised crime ring and crime is a web.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Pyrotoad posted:

(who are also in hell and are also spiders)

i see.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
so if the "web (of crime)" was only like... nascent when Jimmy Longlegs was running fake lotto tickets, and he dies, and goes to horny inferno, ostensibly there's not enough there for it to be thematic so does he get a different fursona , or is it like retroactive once everyone on earth has committed enough tax fraud that he's a spider now

if his relations on earth started suddenly committing crimes that were more, say, koala crimes, than "spider crimes" does it get changed again.

can you then create a service on earth where you commit crimes of a certain sensibility for pay so that your predecessors can become hell jaguars instead of flying squirrels*

*9/11

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
I don't know but if you gamble hard enough you turn into a cat person with wings and I think everyone wants that on some level.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

What crime would turn me into a sexy hell moth? I think that would be a good look for me.

Probably eating people's clothes, right?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Pyrotoad posted:

I don't know but if you gamble hard enough you turn into a cat person with wings and I think everyone wants that on some level.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

This thread has a way higher proportion of people who posted in Avatar-Thread than any other thread i have bookmarked and its weirding me out.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Joiiiin ussss

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I just wanted to talk about the theme park. I didn’t know I’d get infected.

However also avastar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REeg4LW14Sk

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...

Boxman posted:

This thread has a way higher proportion of people who posted in Avatar-Thread than any other thread i have bookmarked and its weirding me out.
we were all in on the same crime, passed away, and are now blue cats in hell. i don't remember what the crime was but i think it involved tree law

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

fauna posted:

we were all in on the same crime, passed away, and are now blue cats in hell. i don't remember what the crime was but i think it involved tree law

So this is the real meaning of Cats

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
What crimes do I have to commit to become a sheep? This is very important!

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

World Famous W posted:

Wool profiteering.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

World Famous W posted:

Just baaaaaaad in general

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Before I post this, I've never watched Owl House :

https://twitter.com/_AlexHirsch/status/1292328558921003009

https://twitter.com/_AlexHirsch/status/1292333340414992384

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
They were probably able to do that because I can't imagine a single person actually watching owl house, because it's extremely bad.

However, good for them for getting some representation in there. Now there's one good thing about owl house!

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

It appears that there was also a Gravity Falls crossover episode, so two good things?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

IUG posted:

It appears that there was also a Gravity Falls crossover episode, so two good things?

That was a joke.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I've never read anyone here say anything good about that show. Which is too bad as I love Gravity Falls, and this show is apparently not worth watching.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

IUG posted:

I've never read anyone here say anything good about that show. Which is too bad as I love Gravity Falls, and this show is apparently not worth watching.

It is powerfully without merit.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I hear plenty of good things about the show outside of this place

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
It's cool that a lead is bi, but worth noting that Disney has already had gay characters on their cartoons. Ducktales has a character with a gay couple for her dads.

Inversely, one of my problems with the Howard documentary is that they try to paint this narrative that there would have been absolutely, positively no issue with Howard Ashman coming out as gay and HIV positive before he won Disney an Oscar.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Yeah, Disney was an openly homophobic company basically right up to the point where Ashman died, and then spent the next 20ish years being quietly homophobic.

Now, they're willing to let Imitation Anime be gay, because it's 2020 and straight is illegal

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

IUG posted:

Amphibia has a Gravity Falls crossover episode this week

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
I think Owl House is okay, although Eda steals the show. The dance sequence in the latest episode is really well animated.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Amphibia has a Gravity Falls crossover episode this week

Ah, I confused the two shows. Alex Hersh was talking about both at the same time on Twitter.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Boxman posted:

EDIT: Wait did we ever talk about the animated Lackadaisy kickstarter?
I don't think so. Either way, it's another small project I look forward to seeing completed.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I watched the Lego movie for the first time this weekend. Together with my son and wife and by God this is a good solid movie.

There's a fairly standard hero journey plot, but they go hogwild with shout outs and lego based weirdness in such a way that it feels fresh. The sheer amount of cameos and poking fun at itself and it's source material is amazing.

The soundtrack is technically good I guess, but it did feel a bit like everything is awesome (you're welcome) in different arrangements was the whole of the soundtrack.
I love the faux stop motion thing they go with for animation.

And that end twist works so well. I'd heard what it was beforehand, but it just works so well. My son didn't quite get everything that happened or the implications of it happening, but these past few days he keeps coming back to the movie fielding questions like. "Was the dad a bad guy?"
It really set his mind thinking and usually shortly after a deep talk about symbolism he veers back into retelling the solid jokes.

Lord and Miller are really amazing at making solid entertaining movies.

After watching this it also immediately becomes clear that a second movie wasn't going to be nearly as good as the first. I haven't seen that yet, but lack of chatter and impact just makes me fill that it didn't. Their only hope was to basically abandon the characters they had, but I know they didn't. I hope my Netflix adds it again soon so I can watch it.

They need to get Lord and Miller to make a new Naked Gun movie.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Pick posted:

They were probably able to do that because I can't imagine a single person actually watching owl house, because it's extremely bad.

However, good for them for getting some representation in there. Now there's one good thing about owl house!

What's wrong with Owl House? I watch it and enjoy it, granted there are some issues I have with it though. Just curious about contrasting thoughts.

Darth TNT posted:

I watched the Lego movie for the first time this weekend. Together with my son and wife and by God this is a good solid movie.

There's a fairly standard hero journey plot, but they go hogwild with shout outs and lego based weirdness in such a way that it feels fresh. The sheer amount of cameos and poking fun at itself and it's source material is amazing.

The soundtrack is technically good I guess, but it did feel a bit like everything is awesome (you're welcome) in different arrangements was the whole of the soundtrack.
I love the faux stop motion thing they go with for animation.

And that end twist works so well. I'd heard what it was beforehand, but it just works so well. My son didn't quite get everything that happened or the implications of it happening, but these past few days he keeps coming back to the movie fielding questions like. "Was the dad a bad guy?"
It really set his mind thinking and usually shortly after a deep talk about symbolism he veers back into retelling the solid jokes.

Lord and Miller are really amazing at making solid entertaining movies.

After watching this it also immediately becomes clear that a second movie wasn't going to be nearly as good as the first. I haven't seen that yet, but lack of chatter and impact just makes me fill that it didn't. Their only hope was to basically abandon the characters they had, but I know they didn't. I hope my Netflix adds it again soon so I can watch it.

They need to get Lord and Miller to make a new Naked Gun movie.

I mean I loved the second one a lot so it's hard for me to place where it falls vs the first. There were things I liked about it a bit more than the first one, but that's hard for me to explain except liking that Emmet was more capable and loves the anti-edgelord sentiment.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Aug 11, 2020

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Darth TNT posted:

Yeah, I think you'll find a lot of nodding here. One of the reasons I enjoy it so much (aside from the fact that the movie has an actual heart) is that the madcap pace of the comedy never really lets up - like, maybe one or two heartfelt scenes aside, there's basically constant humor that you just don't see in very many movies. I still lose my poo poo at the camera cutting away from Unikitty's YAAAAAA- when she's being bsns kitty.

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
the "Spaceship!!!" sequence is one of my absolute all time favorite comedy scenes and it's based on one character's utter joy :3:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I knew Lego Movie was legit when I could see little thumbprints on the character bodies.

The the dumb weak spot in the astronaut's helmet. But yeah, way to knock it out if the park with story as well as with genuine live of the subject matter.

Lego Movie 2 even has a dumb "I stepped on your loving Legos while barefoot " joke. :stonklol:

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Darth TNT posted:

I'm a big Tegan and Sara fan, so Spotify at one point was just like, "I guess you want to listen to 'Everything is awesome!'" And I didn't turn it off so now it just keeps thinking that.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Boxman posted:

Yeah, I think you'll find a lot of nodding here. One of the reasons I enjoy it so much (aside from the fact that the movie has an actual heart) is that the madcap pace of the comedy never really lets up - like, maybe one or two heartfelt scenes aside, there's basically constant humor that you just don't see in very many movies. I still lose my poo poo at the camera cutting away from Unikitty's YAAAAAA- when she's being bsns kitty.

It really works since they can fit so much into the movie, too. Wondering if that might be a Lord and Miller trademark, mind. Spider-verse in particular is pretty dense despite having a standard runtime.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I like that Everything is Awesome isn't a celebration like it sounds - it's a desperate attempt to convince the people of Brickburg that *everything* is awesome, including the bad stuff, like this lyric: "Lost my job, a new opportunity, more free time for my awesome community!"

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

This doesn't bold well.

Tl;dr: Michael DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko walked out of the ATLA live action series because it stopped being the show they wanted it to be and they couldn't do a thing about it.

Robindaybird fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Aug 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

BioEnchanted posted:

I like that Everything is Awesome isn't a celebration like it sounds - it's a desperate attempt to convince the people of Brickburg that *everything* is awesome, including the bad stuff, like this lyric: "Lost my job, a new opportunity, more free time for my awesome community!"

Yeah but that's the whole point of Emmetts life before he becomes the "chosen" one. He needs to do everything by the book and to the letter. He has no real identity, to the point of his Co workers even forgetting him. It's a dystopia hidden behind a veneer of awesome. It's something the kids won't pick up on, but the parents will. And someday the kids will realize it as well. It's what elevates the movie to be better than it is.

Benny's spaceship is also a brilliant payoff for the many times he dejectedly dismantled his previous attempts at building it. :smith:

There is definitely a sense of fullness (in a positive sense) in this movie in the same way as Spiderverse.