Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
Actually one thing about Die Antwoord, anyone else think Billie Eilish copied part of their visual style. And the beat to Bad Guy reminds me of one of their chorus beats but I can't remember which.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Every white South African I've met has given me the feeling they were 3 seconds away from snapping and punching my teeth out.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I like their music they have good beats and I like their flow. It’s ok that you don’t like them.

Once I had to do a huge performance to one of their songs for a big event and I was relieved because we weren’t in charge of the music but I knew the song very well!

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Marenghi posted:

Actually one thing about Die Antwoord, anyone else think Billie Eilish copied part of their visual style. And the beat to Bad Guy reminds me of one of their chorus beats but I can't remember which.

Die Antwoord also takes a ton of visual cutes from Fando Y Lis. Time is a flat circle.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

This song is better than any crap those racist shitbags ever made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-X1X766vAY

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Do it ironically posted:

Every time I meet someone from South Africa they’re an rear end in a top hat and a racist, it’s not even a generalization or hyperbole

Like I hate to generalize an entire nation or group of people but I'm so consistently disappointed by people from SA. Its like racism russian roulette with them. I was on a public ferry going by some big houses and overhear some SA lady the other day say: "you'd need 2 or 3 filipinos to clean the place for you". I wish this was a single occurrence. Maybe just my experience but according to others itt its not. wtf.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LBCkW0kz2E

here's the actual video

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2urkuf

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Aug 12, 2020

individual865
Mar 26, 2007

Life on the outside ain't what it used to be.
As the son of white non-racist South Africans, both Die Antwoord and all this generalization about South Africans as a whole can gently caress right off.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

individual865 posted:

As the son of white non-racist South Africans, both Die Antwoord and all this generalization about South Africans as a whole can gently caress right off.

its not south africans as a whole its white south africans

420 20
Apr 21, 2020

Do it ironically posted:

Every time I meet someone from South Africa they’re an rear end in a top hat and a racist, it’s not even a generalization or hyperbole

Only the white ones

420 20
Apr 21, 2020
Lethal Weapon 2 was right

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

420 20 posted:

Only the white ones

Yes this

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

individual865 posted:

Look man nobody is attacking you and your conscious should be clear if you were raised that way. Unfortunately, given the country's history and people, its gonna start you out on the back foot in some places. Its like telling people you're American in Europe.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

The_Continental posted:

telling people you're American in Europe.

That does suck. Like ok yes I represent everything you hate about America even though I’m agreeing with you. Now stop killing my buzz

individual865
Mar 26, 2007

Life on the outside ain't what it used to be.

The_Continental posted:

Look man nobody is attacking you and your conscious should be clear if you were raised that way. Unfortunately, given the country's history and people, its gonna start you out on the back foot in some places. Its like telling people you're American in Europe.

Oh, I get it, I used to get called a racist in school all the time, as soon as people found out where my family was from. My grandparents campaigned for the ANC. It's just a sore spot, the assumption that white South African = automatic racist.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

To be fair I did meet one nice (AFAIK) white South African. Dunno if his Nguni shield leg tattoo meant anything positive.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

I'm just about to go on a 5 hour conference call with a bunch of South Africans, any advice?

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

don't look them in the eyes

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

How did you know my main skill?

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Talk about BBQ and smoking meats. Good ice breaker and it'll make everyone hungry. This should force them to speed up the meeting so they can eat.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Snowy posted:

I was hanging out with a friend in Nicaragua, this dude was a journalist there so he knew lots of sketchy people.

It seemed like there were a lot of retired cops from various countries, they’d go there and live really well on their pensions. And be drunk all the time.

One of these cops was a South African who had done something horrible in his past but I forget what now, and it felt like he was there to disappear. He had bought a big walled compound in the rough part of town, a series of crumbling buildings with a dirt courtyard in the center.

He lived like the king of his little ghetto castle, with a circle of locals who would repair his stuff and run to fetch whatever he needed so he didn’t have to leave the walls. You could just go up to a hole in the wall and people would run up for the chance to go run an errand for a tiny fee. They were old drug addicts and little kids.

I had a pretty good time hanging out in this apocalypse now world with the scary cop with a creepy smile full of secrets but at the same time I hope the locals ended up invading that assholes fortress.

But yeah die antwoord has their moments

The world is a gently caress

Tell me more about Africa

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Anne Frank Funk posted:

I'm just about to go on a 5 hour conference call with a bunch of South Africans, any advice?

Bring up how Lethal Weapon 2 is the best of the franchise

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

I found that there were heaps of European or American Expats living in West Africa when I was there. Many of them would probably be considered "shady types" who had decided to retire in a place where their dollars went a lot further. There were definitely folks that were just escaping something or other.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Negostrike posted:

This song is better than any crap those racist shitbags ever made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-X1X766vAY

good link

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

I’ve never met anyone from south arfica

TK8325
Sep 22, 2014

Bargearse posted:

I have a confession to make. I liked Chappie and paid actual real world dollarydoos to see it at the cinema.

Me too.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

There’s a nice mix of ethnicities in the meeting. I guess it’s required by law in RSA for companies to be sufficiently integrated.

There definitely are a couple Sharlto Copley types. No Ninja soundalike though

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Marenghi posted:

He did invite some Aussie fan to visit. After which she shared some weird text messages (that could easily be faked), and claimed he trafficked and assaulted her. Right around the time her debut album dropped.

Imagine making this post in 2020. smdh.

420 20
Apr 21, 2020

The_Continental posted:

I found that there were heaps of European or American Expats living in West Africa when I was there. Many of them would probably be considered "shady types" who had decided to retire in a place where their dollars went a lot further. There were definitely folks that were just escaping something or other.

Expats in general are scum

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

420 20 posted:

Expats in general are scum

Yeah theres some truth here but there are degrees. Im an American living in Australia and am just average levels of scum. The level of scumminess increases with disparaties in wealth and development. I.e a German person living in Ghana is probably scummier than an English person living in France. The absolute worst are Americans living in Thailand.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The_Continental posted:

The absolute worst are Americans living in Thailand.
i think the correct term is "pedophiles"

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Die antwoord can gently caress off into the far reaches of the universe forever. Little big is better and has been better for a while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrU1hZxSEXQ

Rabbit junk is better than both tho.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Aug 12, 2020

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried

Bust Rodd posted:

I like their music they have good beats and I like their flow. It’s ok that you don’t like them.

The only person here that needs reminding it's OK to not like homophones and racists seems to be you. Cool that you're defending them though.

Good beats though right?

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Blacknose posted:

The only person here that needs reminding it's OK to not like homophones and racists seems to be you. Cool that you're defending them though.

Good beats though right?

Look some people like their music if you wanna carry a pitchfork or whatever at least be funny or entertaining. This poo poo is boomer facebook level outrage posting.

420 20
Apr 21, 2020

The_Continental posted:

Look some people like their music if you wanna carry a pitchfork or whatever at least be funny or entertaining. This poo poo is boomer facebook level outrage posting.

Would you say you are "sick of cancel culture"

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried

The_Continental posted:

OK boomer.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Blacknose posted:

OK boomer.

Guy with 2006 reg date and Joy Division Av calling me old. Cool.

Im just saying theres actually been some funny and interesting poo poo in this thread but instead of engaging with that you just cherry picked someone, who posted a one off opinion, to call a racist. Its low effort, pointless, and inflammatory.

Its just a great way to tank/derail an otherwise interesting discussion thread. Its really just plain old poo poo posting dressed up as morality.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I want to kiss Die Antwoord on the lips and have a baby

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Die Antwoord dresses like a pitbull in one of their videos and i like that because i like pitbulls they are the safest most loving dog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

sometimes bad people make cool stuff, what a world