Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
It probably came up already, but does anyone have a link to the meltdown over someone using dried onions in there chili?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...
in the boarding school cafeteria at breakfast, lunch and tea, my friend would gobble down his food as quick as possible and then go around stealing everyone else's. i don't mean a forkful here and there, i mean he'd be lifting whole potatoes and sausages and scoops of ice cream. he literally could not help himself. the four of us who usually sat at the table and were his main victims all grew up with crazy speed-eating habits that took years to break because if you had anything on your plate when he was finished, it was his. but he spent his early childhood in an impoverished third-world orphanage, so we never held it against him. i guess it's not the usual experience you expect at boarding school, but it was a weird boarding school.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I’m lactose intolerant and I think I hate cheese people more than bacon people. Let me loving live my life, let me enjoy my weird vegan freak food, more for me

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Cheese contains very little lactose.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

Das Boo posted:

To be fair, I would try that last one to experience what it's like to be on bath salts.

Pizza, IMO, has no limits. Best pizza I've ever had was tandoori chicken, paneer, goat cheese, bell peppers, spinach, artichoke, onions and a garlic sauce. Probably a little garam masala and ginger in there, too. gently caress, that was good.

There’s a place in my city where the whole schtick is curry pizzas. It’s not bad.

I’m kinda picky but I try very hard not to be a dick about it. Eggs, avocado and banana all give me horrific gut cramps, I don’t like the texture of red meat and I am a giant baby about spice (fine with black pepper and like, poblano/banana pepper levels of hotness). Amusingly despite being a Food Weird I use my palate in a professional capacity as a beer judge. I’m good at detecting off flavours because I can taste the slightest lil taint of flavour I hate.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Do you know why hoppy and/or unfiltered beers make me sneeze.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Mooey Cow posted:

Cheese contains very little lactose.

I also just flat out don’t like most cheese, minus feta, and even then sometimes it’s mixed with cows milk. I avoid most dairy anyhow out of habit, it gives me hell acne and the risk of fireshits.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

I can eat aged comte, parmesan, manchego, etc. But any soft ripened cheese gives me the absolute guts

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

The_Continental posted:

Do you know why hoppy and/or unfiltered beers make me sneeze.

Hops just do that to some folk. I get hella sneezes opening the bags of hop pellets and sniffing them but it’s worth it because they smell good.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
I love food of all stripes. Many of my friends are vegan, so when I'm cooking and they're coming I'll do something vegan. When they're not, I won't. I love feeding people and I like the challenge of adapting a recipe so that everyone can enjoy it.

The only thing that makes me sad is when people aren't willing to experiment. People who act as though they'll shrivel up and die if they have a meal without meat make me really unhappy, because there's so much cool stuff they'll never get to enjoy for no reason other than their own pride.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Im kind of bothered by folks who are just fine with lovely unhealthy food. Again, ive prepared food professionally for a long time so im biased.

Im not saying you have to splash out on expensive ingredients but ive got heaps of friends in IT who have lived their lives making food choices only on convenience. A few of them have developed chronic health issues but dont seem to associate their microwavable burrito diet or refusal to drink water with it at all.

I also live in a place with year round farmers markets everywhere. It just baffles me that food could be so low a priority for some.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
This is what happens when you see people put Coke in their baby's bottle.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Last year I started making vegan muffins using ripe bananas instead of eggs. I thought they tasted good and so did my wife. Until about a month later of making them on the weekends, I noted the substitution.

She felt betrayed: "I don't like bananas!"

Nothing I could say, including the most damnimg evidence that she had eaten and enjoyed them for a month would convince her otherwise.

To this day she won't eat muffins I bake, even when I make them with eggs.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
I've tried mushrooms so many times and the first breakthrough I've had cooking with it is slicing it so thin it basically disappears into the cabbage inside a spring roll, and that's the only time I've been able to handle it so far. Flavour and cooking smell is great which is the worst part. Most places default to mushrooms for non-meat options, so I have to keep trying.

That said, nobody will ever convince me that eggplant/aubergine is good. I've tried cooking my own, I've eaten it in the heart of the Mediterranean, no dice.

I don't mind those meat substitute protein lumps like quorn and soy and seitan, all of that 'I wish vegetarians/vegans could stop copying meat!' chat misses the issue that these protein lumps are like the only vaguely chewy poo poo we get. Bean burgers can be incredibly tasty but they're also just crisp-then-mush. Paneer/halloumi come close but not good for lactose-intolerant/vegan people and it's also not advisable to have cheese as the only protein source, obviously.

That said the 'Impossible'/'Beyond' burgers have a very weird crumbly greasy texture and flavour that I've really come to dislike unless I make it super thin and so well-done that it's basically burnt, and I hope other veggie/vegan protein lumps don't copy them.

Tofu is good but silken >>>> firm. While I'm at it, the whole 'it soaks up the flavour!' thing only applies to pressed, then frozen, then defrosted and pressed again firm tofu.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )
I will eat something I hate if someone I like made it for me

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

fauna posted:

in the boarding school cafeteria at breakfast, lunch and tea, my friend would gobble down his food as quick as possible and then go around stealing everyone else's. i don't mean a forkful here and there, i mean he'd be lifting whole potatoes and sausages and scoops of ice cream. he literally could not help himself. the four of us who usually sat at the table and were his main victims all grew up with crazy speed-eating habits that took years to break because if you had anything on your plate when he was finished, it was his. but he spent his early childhood in an impoverished third-world orphanage, so we never held it against him. i guess it's not the usual experience you expect at boarding school, but it was a weird boarding school.

i watched two scrawny 18yo freshmen eat their first orange in plutocrat school. one was a scholarship kid at magnet school who was raised by a cartoonishly poor single mother (he ended up at bridgewater and estranged from his mother), one was homeschooled by insane professors who made him do calculus when he was 9 and he was actually good at it

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Aug 12, 2020

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...

Shithouse Dave posted:

avocado and banana all give me horrific gut cramps
same, and the worst thing is, i can't quit them :negative: i'm like that one lactose intolerant goon who was also a cheese addict and slowly poisoning all his coworkers with fart fumes

420 20
Apr 21, 2020

Barudak posted:

Local people like McDonald's too...

I judge people who say they are vegetarians but then reveal they eat seafood. 4 people is too many to meet doing this in one lifetime! Own up to the fact you think baby cows are cute and don't know what the gently caress sustainable fishing means instead of trying to moralize over people who eat eggs.

I thought vegetarians eat eggs

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Yeah I hate those people

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

fauna posted:

same, and the worst thing is, i can't quit them :negative: i'm like that one lactose intolerant goon who was also a cheese addict and slowly poisoning all his coworkers with fart fumes
You're in a safe space, here.

Never apologize for farting, no matter what the circumstance.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Also someone was talking about Indian food and I just have to say if tarka dal doesn't do much for you consider the infinitely sexier dal makhani.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Got a MIL who refuses to drink water. She has health problems and is also quite irritable.

She also buys into dietary superfood fads like mangosteen. Like, just drink some loving water. Your body needs it.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

420 20 posted:

I thought vegetarians eat eggs
Common mistake. Vegetarians lay eggs so they can't eat them for fear of eating they own egg.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Vegetarians and vegans sure are weird about food, I agree. Really absurdly picky eaters. Worthy of scorn.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

The_Continental posted:

Got a MIL who refuses to drink water. She has health problems and is also quite irritable.

She also buys into dietary superfood fads like mangosteen. Like, just drink some loving water. Your body needs it.

How do you refuse to drink water

Like I’m baffled

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009

Chewbecca posted:

I will eat something I hate if someone I like made it for me

Same. The only food that I don't like is cantaloupe and a number years ago a woman I worked with who always brought me interesting Burkinese dishes to eat (cause she knew I'd eat them and the others wouldn't) made me a simple little bundt cake with fruit in the middle for my birthday. The top layer was banana, followed by kiwi, followed by the dreaded cantaloupe. I ate every bite because just because you don't like something does not mean that it will poison you (most of the time). She was very pleased that I liked it and I consider the consumption of the cantaloupe to have been more than worthwhile.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

teen witch posted:

Like I’m baffled

Right? I had kidney problems as a kid and had to stop drinking soda and anything more complex that cranberry juice and water. Not drinking water for my whole life makes my kidneys throb just thinking about it

420 20
Apr 21, 2020

The_Continental posted:

Tell her to drink tea

420 20
Apr 21, 2020

teen witch posted:

Like I’m baffled

A third of Brits confess they don’t drink any water on a daily basis

quote:

a third of Brits have revealed that they don’t drink water every day. None. At all. And 20% say that they last drank a glass of water over a week ago – according to a new survey. The research, commissioned by Britvic’s family brand Robinsons, showed that almost half of the nation dislike drinking water, with 52% saying it is boring.

420 20
Apr 21, 2020
https://twitter.com/ByKimberleyA/status/1053317445723832320?s=20

420 20
Apr 21, 2020
When I intend to go get a drink of water, I opt for juice or wine instead.

For example, I love yoga. But instead of water, I’ll bring a glass of merlot for breaks. Don’t judge!

Water tastes like nothing. Why would I drink nothing? What’s the point?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

teen witch posted:

Like I’m baffled

I went to college with a girl who at 19 was being told by her doctor that she needed to drink some actual water and not just diet coke 24/7 or her kidney stone issue would keep happening.

She did not change her ways.

420 20
Apr 21, 2020
Drinking plain water sll the time makes you thr weird one

The developing world boils all their water into tea and soup

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I drink water and eat at the same time, mostly mushing it into a fine slurry. Alternatively, storing non-mushable ingredients in my cheeks like a hamster.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The chinese part of my family is baffled I don't need soup at every meal to avoid dehyrdration. Where are you getting water from, they wonder, presumably baffled by why the own so many goddamn cups with deng xiaoping's face on them.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

there is a huge untapped market for perrier with dumplings in it

420 20
Apr 21, 2020

oh but seriously I posted:

there is a huge untapped market for perrier with dumplings in it

Remember these?

420 20
Apr 21, 2020

Barudak posted:

The chinese part of my family is baffled I don't need soup at every meal to avoid dehyrdration. Where are you getting water from, they wonder, presumably baffled by why the own so many goddamn cups with deng xiaoping's face on them.

Rich westerners with central air/heating live in self created deserts with 15% humidity due to aggressive heating in the winter and A/C in the summer (even the Sahara desert has a relative humidity of only 25%). They lose a lot more straight water (w/o electrolytes) from living in an artificially dry atmosphere

People in developing countries lose more water through sweat, which is why they need to take in salts along with their water to replenish, such as the salt found in soup

420 20 fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Aug 12, 2020

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Confession: anytime I try eating beets I literally feel my gag reflex kick in and I feel my stomach turning and I have to fight back actually vomiting. No other food gives me this reflex.

I also love drinking plain water now over anything casually, and now look at doritos and cheetohs with scorn over the stains and scent they leave, as I have moved onto pretzels on that front.

How unreasonably weird about food does this make me with this new information?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

kecske posted:

choosing to eat any kind of boneless chicken product is a sign of imbalanced humors

You can take my chicken divan from my cold, sherry covered hands.