Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I don't really enjoy drinking water like some people do, but if I fill up a jug and leave it out it's at least easy to quickly slam a glass.

Jeza posted:

I drink water and eat at the same time, mostly mushing it into a fine slurry.

I was at a friend's house and washed a mouthful down with water and their dad said "so you're basically just a toilet?" A+ burn on me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

420 20 posted:

Rich westerners with central air/heating live in self created deserts with 15% humidity due to aggressive heating in the winter and A/C in the summer (even the Sahara desert has a relative humidity of only 25%). They lose a lot more straight water (w/o electrolytes) from living in an artificially dry atmosphere

People in developing countries lose more water through sweat, which is why they need to take in salts along with their water to replenish, such as the salt found in soup

Which is why they serve all their water scalding hot.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Maybe it's just a rural Australian thing that sees it as incredibly loving weird you don't just like, drink water. Aren't bottled water and water bottles major industries for a reason? It's like... I dunno, refusing to eat literally anything without ketchup, including salad and sushi.

Some developing countries have issues with it mostly because they can't trust the water, or at least are raised not to, but the British have no excuse.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
Oh idk there seems to be something in the water over there that makes people hate trans people. That's why they call them Britain filters

420 20
Apr 21, 2020
I feel like Britain dropped back into developing nation status in the 90s

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
There was a while there I only drank water after drinking alcohol, and only a lot of alcohol. Otherwise it was all diet coke and beer.

Started drinking water and it was like holy poo poo, you don't need to feel like poo poo? And now it's 2-3 liters a day on top of tea and diet cokes.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde
I love being vegan. It drives people bonkers.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I don't really enjoy drinking water like some people do, but if I fill up a jug and leave it out it's at least easy to quickly slam a glass.

I was at a friend's house and washed a mouthful down with water and their dad said "so you're basically just a toilet?" A+ burn on me.

savage dad

420 20 posted:

Remember these?

oh poo poo, i do

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I'll be honest, I had no idea "I don't drink water" was 'a thing' until reading this thread.

Sure random people here or there, way too many people with diabetes from drinking too MUCH soda, juice, beer, whatever, absolutely an issue. Yep.
Flat out a good chunk of the populace saying "nope" to drinking water, period? gently caress me, that's nuts. Like...what the gently caress, drat

e: also those orbitz things were pretty nasty. overly sweet and chunky. I think the first one I had, I had warm from sitting in a car too long though, if I remember right so it was like, hot chunky tapioca syrup water. Yum-O.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I've said it before, I'll say it again: the British are a degraded people.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyKUVWLeMaA&t=56s

lots of good people have tried to make Britain worth a poo poo over the years. but this speech is still applies to the entire country.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
i only drink water.

hell, i'm drinking it right now.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
you might think my cool avatar is sequins, but it's actually water

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I don't like raw tomatoes or cucumbers, which are 70% of a salad in my country. Have at me.

CynCyanide
Mar 21, 2005

dance, water, dance!

Son of Rodney posted:

I don't like raw tomatoes or cucumbers, which are 70% of a salad in my country. Have at me.

I love cucumbers so you can just pick them out of your salad and give them to me.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Eggplant is pretty much the only thing I'm still picky about. I try it every couple of years to see if my tastes have changed but no luck yet.

Oh and kiwi fruits but that doesnt come up too often. They taste like vomit to me.

RepeatingMeme posted:

I dont hate picky eaters, their tiny little culinary world is enough of a self own that any added scorn feels cruel. Especially the people who only eat frozen foods they can microwave or fast food are incredibly sad to me. They must feel like huge babies ordering chicken fingers off the kids menu whenever they go out to eat, it sounds like an incredibly sad life to live.

And what about those people who only drink soda/energy drinks who love to talk about how gross water is? Water is basically the least offensive, most neutral, flavor there is and replacing it entirely with diet coke makes my skin crawl.

The water thing can make sense, it's not an issue for me where I live, but there's been a few places I've been while travelling where the tap water was loving foul and I subsided on juice/beer/soft drink til I got home. Yes bottled water exists but gently caress paying that much for water. I usually end up drinking nothing but water for days after I get back. Really surreal missing tap water that much.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Anchovies can get hosed

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Son of Rodney posted:

i'll take your tomaters

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

if you grew up middle or lower income, a lot of food was a poor facsimile of the real thing... lovely button mushrooms, unappealing canned and frozen vegetables, mealy bland apples, low quality chicken and beef...

I can understand how people develop picky tastes, when the reference point to a food has a huge gap in quality.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

hell astro course posted:

if you grew up middle or lower income, a lot of food was a poor facsimile of the real thing... lovely button mushrooms, unappealing canned and frozen vegetables, mealy bland apples, low quality chicken and beef...

I can understand how people develop picky tastes, when the reference point to a food has a huge gap in quality.

See also when your parents are lovely cooks. Boomers in England and large parts of the USA in particular grew up with basically the total destruction of traditional European cooking techniques, and parents who boiled everything into uniform mush.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

teen witch posted:

How do you refuse to drink water

Like I’m baffled

She drinks bottled teas, usually artificially sweetened. Shes got a lot of weird food hang ups, and hang ups in general.

I saw her only eat lamb chops for 3 months straight. Mind you, her son in law, me, a professional chef, was living in her home and cooking six nights a week before my Aussie working rights kicked in. She rarely even tried my food unless it was lamb with mint jelly and mash. Which I did make a couple times.

She will eat only one thing for months, sometimes its sweet chili chips, sometimes lamb chops. Her pantry is full of every single dietary fad you can imagine, mangosteen, Manuka honey, saffron, acai powder, etc. She recently had me procure camel milk for her. She tries this stuff, hates it and moves on.

Oh also shes a hoarder so all the stuff just hangs around. I am very grateful for the woman but jesus christ sometimes...

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

CynCyanide posted:

I love cucumbers so you can just pick them out of your salad and give them to me.

yikes! posted:

i'll take your tomaters

we should go out to dinner soon

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Ghost Leviathan posted:

See also when your parents are lovely cooks. Boomers in England and large parts of the USA in particular grew up with basically the total destruction of traditional European cooking techniques, and parents who boiled everything into uniform mush.

As a kid when I used to visit my grandma in Glasgow she would make brawn. It was pretty gnarly

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Mint sauce >>> jelly

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
raw fish is bad.

Cook your food like you cook all other meat

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Brawn, or headcheese is delicious when properly seasoned and is a very technique heavy sort of thing to make. I can understand how it can be off putting to some, though.

I make a ham hock terrine with pistachios, allspice, nutmeg, white pepper and its a really popular holiday dish. There are folks who dont know its pig ankles.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
I dated some crazy aristocratic Peruvian girl who would literally only eat plain chicken, rice, and mcdonalds hamburgers with no condiments or toppings, and then cookies/cupcakes/etc. She was insane and I should have realized it based on her eating habits.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I think an important part of a relationship is food compatibility. For example, I don't like tomatoes or cucumbers in my salad so I give them to my wife. She doesn't like croutons so I'll take those. It's win win for the both of us.

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

Sega 32X posted:

My kid saw Oscar the Grouch eat a banana pizza years ago and we tried it and now my wife and kid love banana on pizza (I'm indifferent to it, I like more traditional toppings). It gets super carmelized, so it ends up sweet and savoury. I think that's the appeal of Hawaiian as well (which he also likes).

Food is food

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

i don't mind croutons but they defeat the purpose of soup

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
what is the purpose of soup?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
To be the most inferior type of food.

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

Waterbed Wendy posted:

what is the purpose of soup?

we just don't know

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I forgot to tell the story about the first time I went out to dinner with my now-wife and her family

We went to the closest thing to a good Italian restaurant we have in the area, and I knew not to order the most expensive thing since someone else was paying for it, so I got the lamb that was only a little more than the average cost of other things.

Every member of her family but her looked up from their menus to stare at me when I said the word "lamb" instead of saying the only edible animal word, "chicken"

I should have known it was not a good fit from that moment alone (though my wife has gamely progressed from that background to someone whose favorite cuisine is Ethiopian so it worked out culinarily)

Also I am one of those people who had a literal food aversion thanks to spending a day throwing up from the flu while the whole house filled with the aroma of a dozen pizzas being made for a big part. It took about 5 years to stop gagging when it got too near my nose, and now more than 20 years later I can finally eat tomato sauce pizza and even sort of like it occasionally, kind of!

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

drink but not a drink. almost a stew, but not quite. eternally mysterious

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
cooked fish is gross because it's stink. raw fish is ok.

bone-in fish is a crime against humanity

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Dr. Quarex posted:

I forgot to tell the story about the first time I went out to dinner with my now-wife and her family

We went to the closest thing to a good Italian restaurant we have in the area, and I knew not to order the most expensive thing since someone else was paying for it, so I got the lamb that was only a little more than the average cost of other things.

Every member of her family but her looked up from their menus to stare at me when I said the word "lamb" instead of saying the only edible animal word, "chicken"

I should have known it was not a good fit from that moment alone (though my wife has gamely progressed from that background to someone whose favorite cuisine is Ethiopian so it worked out culinarily)

Also I am one of those people who had a literal food aversion thanks to spending a day throwing up from the flu while the whole house filled with the aroma of a dozen pizzas being made for a big part. It took about 5 years to stop gagging when it got too near my nose, and now more than 20 years later I can finally eat tomato sauce pizza and even sort of like it occasionally, kind of!

Why were any of you getting primarily meat based entrees at an italian place.

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

I don't understand how never-water people are still alive. Or if they consider life worth living due to constant dehydration. I've known several, they were generally unpleasant to be around, and I only married one of them, briefly.

Hotdog rules are weird, so are pizza rules. I guess it's about cultural preservation, somehow? Ketchup upsets some people.

I can't enjoy eating any cold-blooded animal. Only the warm ones. Every flesh that isn't a bird or mammal is gross to me. Monster?

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

The Breakfast Sampler posted:

Hotdog rules are weird, so are pizza rules. I guess it's about cultural preservation, somehow? Ketchup upsets some people.

Ketchup on pizza is barbaric yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

The Breakfast Sampler posted:

I can't enjoy eating any cold-blooded animal. Only the warm ones. Every flesh that isn't a bird or mammal is gross to me. Monster?

I wouldn't say monster, but a lot of animals do taste a lot like chicken. Alligator, frog legs etc. are all very chickenish tasting.