Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should Gaj make his own thread
This poll is closed.
Yes, make a new thread 6 54.55%
No, keep things just how they are 5 45.45%
Total: 11 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Gaj's tales is the first thing that made me actually understand the meaning of trainwreck, as in something horrible happening in slow motion, but you can't just look away from it. I enjoyed them when it was just boomerous being paranoid about the roof but now it's just giving me hella anxiety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I kind of assumed there was some kind of money laundering or tax evading going on for them to be so weirdly cagey about finances.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
No Boomerous is completely broke, hes leeching off my mother to support his failing business. My mother is the smart money manager in the family, and is a little resentful that shes basically supporting us. Like to be fair, thanks mom for paying my rent and feeding me since I quit my job just before the plague, and havent been able to get a job since. On the other hand when I try to streamline her accounts she panics because thats the last thing in the world she has control over. If not for the MS I would say my mother is 4/10s boomer, and is totally bearable and you can enjoy being with. Like if she was able to move independently shed be upstate right now tending a garden and asking me to buy her dirt and fertilizer. She totally supports me getting the roofing job started because who the gently caress else is gonna get the house, but when Im like hey lets get online banking cause the plague times she freaks out. Her boomerism only got bad as she got sick and basically wants to die. When she was confirmed to have MS she sat me down and told me how much more money Id make if she died on the job. Like her union backed life insurance policy would have handed me a cool mil if she even died at home at peace. Every day she lives the payout depreciates about 50 dollars a day. She told me this when I was 18.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Gaj posted:

Side note, does anyone know how TDA's work with beneficiaries, inheritance?

Get your name and any siblings listed as beneficiaries and none of that will have to go through probate.

Wills are good, having your name on an account is better. Get your name as a beneficiary on ALL the accounts if possible.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I don't which idea is more sad: that Gaj's unbelievable posts are something he makes up or exaggerates for the sympathy of e-strangers, or that it's all true and he no recourse but to gripe about it to e-strangers.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...

FearCotton posted:

I want a book about your family, Gaj. It blows my own out of the water, and we have weird Romani-diaspora boomer drama.
oh lord, i get why you probably don't want to share any details but that sounds magical.

i love hearing about non-anglo boomers, the phenomenon of a whole heap of babies being born at once happened globally but the way that played out throughout different countries is so different culture to culture.

fauna fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Aug 12, 2020

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's very debatable. I grew up in a reasonably diverse town with a larger Jewish Boomer population and a lot of them are garden-variety elitists, every bit as tiresome as any other elitist.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006

Krispy Wafer posted:

Get your name and any siblings listed as beneficiaries and none of that will have to go through probate.

Wills are good, having your name on an account is better. Get your name as a beneficiary on ALL the accounts if possible.

Your going to laugh at this. My mother has made sure that I am beneficiary/co-owner on most accounts, like when I was 14 she had me go to most banks and sign a bunch of poo poo. On the other hand she refuses to sit down and tell me now what loving accounts. I was 14 I didnt loving know. She also doesnt have a will, relying on me being the bene/co-owner for when she dies. I wont know how much of the pie I will have to dig for because I know nothing.

Apparenly I have 4 IRAs across 2 banks, each one less than 10k. They were created when I was 12. I did not learn about them until I was 32.

The TDA is the most hilarious part, I have seen the paper work that says Im the bene so ok Im safe there. But I personally dont know how that would work, does the TDA keep the same interest rate (currently 7%lol), do taxes apply? My mother automatically thought I would gut it the second she dies and yank out all the money, which is why she doesnt want me to know what I can access now. And it took her some convincing that no, if I can keep the 7% interest I aint touching poo poo.

i am completely ignorant of taxes/banking logic because my parents refuse to discuss it. Talking about money is degenerate.

Chomp8645 posted:

I don't which idea is more sad: that Gaj's unbelievable posts are something he makes up or exaggerates for the sympathy of e-strangers, or that it's all true and he no recourse but to gripe about it to e-strangers.

Ive had a friend and co-worker post in the thread, she validates most of Boomerous' behavior. She doesnt post much cause Trump is working hard to deport her fiance and the plague is gonna force NYC to fire her rear end soon.

Gaj fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Aug 12, 2020

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...

mind the walrus posted:

It's very debatable. I grew up in a reasonably diverse town with a larger Jewish Boomer population and a lot of them are garden-variety elitists, every bit as tiresome as any other elitist.
i edited that out of my post because i immediately realised i was inviting a flood of "WELL ACTUALLY"

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

fauna posted:

i edited that out of my post because i immediately realised i was inviting a flood of "WELL ACTUALLY"

:actually:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Chomp8645 posted:

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Im not looking for sympathy this is for venting. Ive already come to terms with my lovely childhood (raging alcoholism 12-18 beers a day, every day, from 18-26 years old) but otherwise their current behavior is just more exhausting than emotionally damaging.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Yeah judging by the Estranged parents thread, Gajs stories are par for the boomer course.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

fauna posted:

Yeah exactly. There's no winning there. Truth is I grew up in a very diverse part of the US and I've met nice people and total wastes of oxygen along every cultural group you can arbitrarily divide humans into. I wouldn't even go as far as to say "one group seems generally nicer," they really are all the same flavor of rear end in a top hat deep down. In a way that's very reassuring.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

mind the walrus posted:

all the same flavor of rear end in a top hat deep down.

This is probably incorrect, I'd guess it would be highly dependent on diet which is often culturally-mediated?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

"Millennial rear end-Eater" is a direct-to-streaming movie I would watch.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

mind the walrus posted:

"Millennial rear end-Eater" is a direct-to-streaming movie I would watch.

"Is it organic free range?"

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Gaj posted:

Money stuff

I don’t know anything about TDA’s, but if it’s tax deferred the IRS will probably want you to start drawing it down a year after you inherit it; like her 401k’s you have to keep reminding yourself her to withdraw from.

Anything funded with pretax dollars gets taxed. Anything bought or funded with after tax dollars doesn’t. Unless you’re now a rich bitch then it might get taxed.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
If I can Imma be upstate soon for the roof, and when I do get up there im going to try and get my fathers arrest records.

Conspiracy to Commit Abortion, 1968.

I dont know what I should do with it, historically. Like my friends know Boomerous is a shithead and all memory of him should be scrubbed. On the other hand his arrest shows the insidious nature of religious institutions and their ability to enforce their morals through the ostentatiously secular judicial system.

TL;DR, his ex gf got pregnant with her new bf. Asked Boomerous where to get pills. Unfortunately she didnt listen to the black market dealer and ingested all the pills at once, her kidneys shut down, but otherwise she recovered and was fine. Doubly bad was that she was working in a Catholic hospital, and they forced her to tell the police everything less they excommunicate her.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Not sure these parents are actually boomers but it definitely fits right in here

naem posted:

my sisters husbands parents, her in laws, host a weekly sunday brunch and expect all 4 of their sons, their spouses, and the grandkids to attend EVERY WEEK.

This isn’t christmas, this isn’t a special event, this is just, Sunday. EVERY Sunday.

They also expect anyone at all related who is in town to also attend, and get FURIOUSLY upset if you don’t. Like, red faced, trying to restrain themselves from assault level anger.

They also serve really bad food in tiny portions and have all these unwritten rules like:

-only one teaspoon of scrambled eggs per person. there are 15 people in this room and we cooked less than one egg per person so, literally a teaspoon.
-one teaspoon of refried beans out of the can that were microwaved two hours ago (everyone in this story is white fyi)
-you get two tortillas, you’re only allowed to put fillings in one
-salsa?? yeah it’s on the table but don’t, you know, have any, ok fine but not A WHOLE TEASPOON? They’ll literally gasp in shock. Might was well take a poo poo on the table.
-two very thin lozenges of a non-breakfast sausage. TWO!!
-Four (4) individual corn chips
-you can not be as tall as Old Dad, or have wider shoulders
-NO EYE CONTACT
-Old Dad and Wife get to Talk, attempts by others to converse are interrupted
-why are your shoulders so wide, stop, being a person there in your chair politely you, guy as tall as me you, who I invited
-Old Dad is the biggest man in the world

ok everyone, have your ration of food? is there food left no one is eating? Is it more food than was taken to eat? Ok good. No one gets that. That’s not eating food.

The HOST and HOSTESS now get coffee, there are two cups worth of coffee and we get it and don’t offer anyone else, because you are children. In your thirties. Children don’t get coffee. My mom? Their age? No coffee. Why would we offer anyone coffee. This is our house. We are the money people (they are not money people)

If you break any of these rules then ELDERLY DAD will literally growl at you with all the feeble rage that a 70 year old who still hasn’t inherited the million or two he’d hoped for yet can muster.

Offers to, go potluck style in the future or bring a starbucks coffee thing for everyone or acknowledge this weird food situation at all, any attempts to feed growing children sufficient amounts result in physical threats of violence and loss of future salsa rights

All their adult children and their wives seem resigned to their fate after a decade but i’ve refused to go after a few of these visits and literally said gently caress off to their face after being yelled at.

All four of the sons have weird food issues, one eats entire sheet cakes regularly and another only eats hamburgers but never finishes them and makes a show of being disinterested in the last third of each burger. One of them rearranges the furniture to the exact way it looked when he was a kid and glares at anyone getting in his way.

also my mom is about as well off as they are at this point I’m not sure where the self importance comes from

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Not sure these parents are actually boomers but it definitely fits right in here

This reminds me of a story my wife told me about her grandpa and grandma when they were getting a little too old.

She and her two sisters were there spending time visiting, as you do, and for dinner they were served pear.

As in one(1) pear. For three growing girls.

They were greatest generation, though.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Your life sounds absolutely miserable and you're mortgaging however many years of your youth you've already spent in the extremely naive promise of some decent ones later in life when your parents die. I can't stop you from doing it but Jesus christ man unless your inheritance is in the millions I cannot see how it's worth it. Like people are reading this going "oh wacky parents, lol boomers" but you're participating in a seriously hosed up cycle of abuse and in case you need to hear this, you don't have to be

FearCotton
Sep 18, 2012

HAPPY F!UN MAGIC ENGLISH TIEM~~~

fauna posted:

oh lord, i get why you probably don't want to share any details but that sounds magical.

i love hearing about non-anglo boomers, the phenomenon of a whole heap of babies being born at once happened globally but the way that played out throughout different countries is so different culture to culture.

It's not magical so much as just...long-form sad? My maternal grandfather was born in the early-ish 1900s in the US, but in an ethnic enclave where he/his family really didn't interact with outsiders. All stories involving him, and the clusterfuck that was his side of the family, could be summed up in this multiple choice form:

Why is this older man screaming in a Sam's Club parking lot:
a) Insane behavior because of decades of unhandled trauma;
b) Insane behavior because of culture of us vs. them leading to isolation;
c) Insane behavior because of alcoholism/other untreated health issues because doctors can't be trusted;
d) Insane behavior because of standard US boomerisms of "gently caress you, got mine";
e) Insane behavior because of a fun mix of all of the above!

What I find interesting is that, by the mid80s, Americana boomerism had pretty much beaten out a lot of cultural norms. My grandmother amassed a home filled to the brim with overpriced heavy furniture, multiple stacked carpets, and QVC-grade knickknacks, all of which (including the carpet) were covered in plastic sheeting/never used to "protect their value." She was shocked when my parents didn't want to buy all of this stuff from her when she had to downsize her home, because it was good (it was not good)! She also had two washing machines (cultural reasons, you're not supposed to wash bottoms with tops), but refused to let my mom (who was responsible for all household chores) use the second one because it was the "nice" one, so functionally it was there as a nod to the stuff my grandpa yelled about while also being a very expensive waste of space.

My grandfather ended up being cool, actually, but he was also a menace, and once he passed away my parents cut off contact completely with that side of the family. To date I speak only to my aunts and one cousin, and Gaj--it's pretty glorious, I gotta say.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Gaj, I'm saying this as a concerned stranger on the internet: Take your father camping and leave him in the woods.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Outrail posted:

Gaj, I'm saying this as a concerned stranger on the internet: Take your father camping to a meat processing plant and leave him in the woods a giant meat grinder.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Leaving your evil boomer daddy to die in lonely piss feels so loving good sometimes I'll just think about it and be like "yes, nice, nailed it", start singing in the shower or air boxing n poo poo.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Hed probably hate that. The calorie input might be a legitimate contribution to society. Better to rot in the woods where no one can benefit.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

purple death ray posted:

Your life sounds absolutely miserable and you're mortgaging however many years of your youth you've already spent in the extremely naive promise of some decent ones later in life when your parents die. I can't stop you from doing it but Jesus christ man unless your inheritance is in the millions I cannot see how it's worth it. Like people are reading this going "oh wacky parents, lol boomers" but you're participating in a seriously hosed up cycle of abuse and in case you need to hear this, you don't have to be

Ya real life it's good posting but Gaj my dude anything you do to get away from this poo poo would probably make your life much better.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

Things boomers like: Setting their phone ringer to maximum volume, then when it rings and they happen to notice it, and see that it's someone they don't want to talk to just letting it ring until voicemail picks up.

Setting multiple daily alarms on the same phone, also at maximum volume, but either leaving it at their desk, or being so deaf they don't notice it going off in their pocket and walking around with a klaxon in their pants, completely oblivious.

Edit: Covid has made me realize how many boomers at work are in complete denial of their hearing loss and are unconsciously reading lips to understand people. I'll say something, they won't understand, I'll say it clearer and louder, they still won't understand, and the whole time I will see them looking at me more intently.

Gangringo fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Aug 12, 2020

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
I live in a co-op, that I had to throw down 24k to buy an apartment share. While my apartment is in a separate building, my windows face theirs.

I have an addition 3k in debt in medical bills from super bad pneumonia in Jan.

I have been out of work since just before the plague hit in feb. I had to get 200 dollars from my mom to pay for food this week lol.

I am absolute rear end-broke and despite trying to get a job in my field, or any desk job, I have not gotten any openings.

Yeah my life has been miserable, its been awful and Boomerous has always gaslit me that any problems I have is cause, lol, some underlying mental illness that is unresolved. So on one hand he says I need to see a therapist, and on the other he says therapy is for those that are weak minded and cant toughen up. Also dont talk to therapists you should never talk about your family problems with someone who isnt your father.

Another life long gaslight is that I am not to trust anyone who isnt blood related. All of my friends are thiefs, they are just trying to steal wealth from me. Boomerous once advised me not to have friends over, because even if I am just giving them a couch to sit on and a glass of water, the glass of water represents me being in a submissive position to the guest. Also the act of offering water is work, wealth, that I am giving away foolishly. He is also terribly disappointing that I am "naive" about how the world works insofar that I dont have racial bias against anyone who isnt a blood relative. The Jews, Coloreds, and Orientals are all working together to steal from you, so you must always distrust them and be suspicious of them.

Note: actual therapist had suggested I join the army, in 2008. He said he thought I would be safer serving in Iraq than being anywhere near my father.

I have spent the last 10 years away from them in a separate city, I really only have come back in contact with them since I moved back to NYC and needed financial help. If it was just my mother, I would have no problems and I would have no complaints outside her dumb aversion to online banking. If my mother died tomorrow I would evict my father and starve him until he begged me to buy the house.

Apparenlty my ex co-worker/friend took a recording of Boomerous ranting about how he is Stalin and a general and you must obey the general or you will be shot.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Gaj posted:

She also doesnt have a will,

you should really, REALLY consult with an estate lawyer. With no will things can get crazy really fast.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006

Bonzo posted:

you should really, REALLY consult with an estate lawyer. With no will things can get crazy really fast.

No no she wont do that because that costs money and no. Gaj you are just being greedy, stop talking about money.

Edit, Banks I know she has money in:

A Catholic Ukrainian Credit Union
Apple Bank
Chase Bank
HSBC
Santander
A Greek Orthodox Ukrainian Credit Union

She does this because the 2008 crash broke her brain even more and she wont give me details. She also wants tme to go through her bills this week so Im going to do that and just record every bank account # and ignore her yelling at me to not do that. She has a master list of her 20 daily medications just in case to show an ER doc but a master list for her assets, no thats greed talking.

Gaj fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Aug 12, 2020

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Gaj, having worked on a few cases like this, there won’t be any money at the end. Your parents likely have a bunch of debts they aren’t tending to and the creditors (and including the state, cause I bet good money your dad hasn’t paid all of his taxes, classic boomer move) will pop up in probate and take any valuable assets that remain. Get out with your sanity while you still can.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Yeah, I pretty much just assume that I won't get any inheritance from my parents. I'm sure they pay their taxes, but who the gently caress would want their atrociously remodeled house in the middle of nowhere?

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006

1redflag posted:

Gaj, having worked on a few cases like this, there won’t be any money at the end. Your parents likely have a bunch of debts they aren’t tending to and the creditors (and including the state, cause I bet good money your dad hasn’t paid all of his taxes, classic boomer move) will pop up in probate and take any valuable assets that remain. Get out with your sanity while you still can.

Oh no its worse, my mother pays for my fathers income taxes. And his land taxes for the house. And pays for his clothes.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

1redflag posted:

This.

Not only that but there are businesses and do nothing but troll the obits in 5 or 6 neighboring states and will call family and tell them about "debts" that they suddenly owe. Other people will approach you offering cash or houses, belongings, etc. and then there's all the "relatives" that come looking for their handout or hire "Saul Goodman" to tie you up in court over bullshit.

You'll find that when you go to cash out the 401k or other funds, those companies HATE giving away that money so they'll talk you into rolling it over into your name or will tax you a considerable amount off the top plus whatever "fees" they come up with.

Oh and the estate itself has the pay taxes on allllllll of this and....

Well you get the idea. If anything to a lawyer about what you should do.

EDIT: To anyone reading this, if you think you won't get a dime for your parents, make sure you talk to a good lawyer

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah, I pretty much just assume that I won't get any inheritance from my parents. I'm sure they pay their taxes, but who the gently caress would want their atrociously remodeled house in the middle of nowhere?

:same:

I'm going to inherit a townhouse condo in Sun City where no one under 55 is allowed to live at a time when all of the boomers are dying off, drying up demand. I'll be lucky if there's some vulture company willing to buy the place by then.

The good news is, at least she got out of her timeshare late last year. That would've been the biggest hassle to deal with.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Realtalk do people anticipate a housing price collapse as the largest and best-housed generation dies off and their houses probably end up getting sold either to divide estates among children or to cover outstanding debts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Kenning posted:

Realtalk do people anticipate a housing price collapse as the largest and best-housed generation dies off and their houses probably end up getting sold either to divide estates among children or to cover outstanding debts?

The same lovely banks will just buy them, the same way they buy every other loving house/condo?