Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I respect The Lost World ending for giving us the closest thing to a live action Calvin & Hobbes we’re going to get, but that’s about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm weird about JP in that I never really feel the need to rewatch any of them once I've seen them (including the first), and I generally enjoyed them all even if they're not good. Except the most recent one, which was genuinely bad and worse than JP3 in my eyes. But I hope the next one is kinda what I was hoping for from it and it gets back on track.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

TheScott2K posted:

-They have a perfect Smash To Credits moment with the escaped TRex roaring at San Diego, but they don't - the movie keeps going! Enjoy this bonus 15 minutes of catharsis!

It's the only Spielberg I can think of where it really seems like someone is making him direct this.
They needed the time to set up the Godzilla joke

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

TheScott2K posted:

Lost World is like Star Trek Generations for me - it's a mess, but I love the slop.

-They promoted Malcolm to lead (neat!) and basically reinvented his whole vibe
-But also brought in Pete Postlethwaite and gave him the only real arc anyone has in the movie (smart! but also odd!)
-They bring in Vince Vaughn for a role you assume is going to end in getting ate by a dinosaur but instead he just sort of exits the movie (okay?)
-Julianne Moore is there, but once she's successfully lured Malcolm to the island she has absolutely nothing to do. Baby Dinosaur Veterinarian feels like an attempt to give her a reason to still be in the movie
-They have a perfect Smash To Credits moment with the escaped TRex roaring at San Diego, but they don't - the movie keeps going! Enjoy this bonus 15 minutes of catharsis!

It's the only Spielberg I can think of where it really seems like someone is making him direct this.

that reminds me of this bit by Patton Oswalt about the circus and what if you were to treat Elton John like a lion you have to tame to perform: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSBnYGsbQiI&t=141s

what if Steven Spielberg was just being lion tamed off screen to leave the dumpage that is Lost World on celluloid.

dorium fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Aug 10, 2020

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

dorium posted:

what if Steven Spielberg was just being lion tamed off screen to leave the dumpage that is Lost World on celluloid.

afaik The Lost World was promised to Joe Johnston and Spielberg was planted in last minute, but that's half remembered artifact from a Jurassic Park 3 promo thing on VHS I think, so I could totally be wrong.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
There are a lot of things to hate about JP III, but what is possibly that movie's biggest sin is that they establish that huge loving gun and then no one ever uses it. Like they show a guy loving up old planes with it so you're like "gently caress yeah that's going to explode a loving dinosaur later and it's going to be AWESOME!". Nope! You just never see it again.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I think the rough part about Jurassic Park III is that it was roughly put together with sequences from the first two books that didn't make the first two movies. It was like a B-sides movie.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Jurassic Park never having dinosaurs with guns attached to them is its biggest crime.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

MacheteZombie posted:

Jurassic Park never having dinosaurs with guns attached to them is its biggest crime.

That’s gotta be coming next.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

dorium posted:

That’s gotta be coming next.

Its taken to Worlds but we're almost there

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I honestly like JP3 more than Lost World. LW has the big trailer cliff action sequence and the novelty of the T-Rex running around the city and that’s about it, the rest is just dull as poo poo. JP3 isn’t fantastic or anything, but it’s consistent all the way through and it’s a decent lazy Saturday watch.
I'm willing to overlook the "raptor gymnastics" part, but the whole "avoiding the raptors" sequence in the abandoned workers' town is really great, too.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Nihonniboku posted:

I think the rough part about Jurassic Park III is that it was roughly put together with sequences from the first two books that didn't make the first two movies. It was like a B-sides movie.

The scene where they go into the pterodactyl cage and one of them is walking towards them on that catwalk and it's all foggy is genuinely creepy. That's the only thing good in that movie. Even the rest of the pterodactyl scene is dumb but that one image is actually scary.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Xenomrph posted:

I'm willing to overlook the "raptor gymnastics" part, but the whole "avoiding the raptors" sequence in the abandoned workers' town is really great, too.

yea the "STAY OUT OF THE LONG GRASS", the cliff/trailer scene, poor Richard Schiff getting the banana split special, Peter Stormare getting mauled by compy's, a maxed out swagger Ian Malcom, and T-Rex chowing down in front of Blockbuster easily put 2>3 for me

CPL593H posted:

The scene where they go into the pterodactyl cage and one of them is walking towards them on that catwalk and it's all foggy is genuinely creepy. That's the only thing good in that movie. Even the rest of the pterodactyl scene is dumb but that one image is actually scary.

Even if I 100% agree with this take. There's not much meat on the bones of JP3.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

MacheteZombie posted:

That's where I thought they were going with Jurassic World Dominion. They were totally setting it up in Jurassic World. I was pushing for them to call the movie Jurassic War. Instead they did a lovely remake of Lost World.

CPL593H posted:

The whole dome sequence was from the first book I think.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Nihonniboku posted:

That's where I thought they were going with Jurassic World Dominion. They were totally setting it up in Jurassic World. I was pushing for them to call the movie Jurassic War. Instead they did a lovely remake of Lost World.

The whole dome sequence was from the first book I think.

Yeah I remember hearing that that's why I mentioned it. The river boat thing was too. The boat thing made it so far as to be storyboarded fro the first film but they decided that the movie would be too long and that scene didn't really do much of anything for the overall story so they cut it.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Full Metal Jacket 4k announced! Considering how The Shining and 2001 turned out, I’m pretty pumped for the results. Also, I’m a big fan of FMJ!

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Essential Fellini - Nov 24
https://www.criterion.com/boxsets/3...content=fellini

Films featured: Variety Lights, The White Sheik, I vitelloni, La strada, Il bidone, Nights of Cabiria, La dolce vita, 8 1/2, Juliet of the Spirits, Satyricon, Roma, Amarcord, And the Ship Sails On..., and Intervista

All but one of the missing films are already out or coming soon except for Fred and Ginger - Arrow put out Orchestra Rehearsal and The Voice of the Moon, Cohen has City of Women, Raro has I Clowns, and Kino Lorber announced Casanova for later this year.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Do Tarkovsky next, please. Pretty please. Please with a little birdie on top.

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

ringu0 posted:

Do Tarkovsky next, please. Pretty please. Please with a little birdie on top.

Ain’t gonna happen. The only unreleased (in North America) Tarkovsky they have the rights to is The Mirror. A box set with five of his seven features doesn’t make any sense.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Severin or VinSyn need to make a Jess Franco box set please

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I think the most likely boxes to see in 2021 are for Kurosawa and Welles.

Kurosawa is such an obvious one since they have the rights to 26/30 of his films already (remaining four are all existing rights partnerships via Mosfilm and Shoichku except for StudioCanal's Ran).

Welles is iffy because all but Mr. Arkadin are on Blu in the US, but they have been confirmed to have It's All True, The Other Side of the Wind, and The Eyes of Orson Welles plus strong rumors about having Citizen Kane and The Trial. Maybe they'll just do Kane on its own, a box of unfinished Welles projects that includes Wind, and The Trial. Though, Mr. Arkadin needs a Blu upgrade, Touch of Evil could use a better encode (Universal crammed all three cuts on one disc via seamless branching, but it's kind of filtered), and there's no definitive The Stranger.

Criterion also supposedly has a bunch of W.C. Fields films.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe
Speaking of Kurosawa, has this been mentioned?

It's an upcoming Spanish BD, but hopefully others will follow soon. https://www.amazon.es/Dersu-Uzala-Blu-ray/dp/B08DV9T6LP

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

MacheteZombie posted:

Severin or VinSyn need to make a Jess Franco box set please

I'd buy it and I'm not even a fan of Franco. At least his movies are interesting.

Other sets I'd like to see: Jean Rollin, Doris Wishman, John Waters, Russ Meyer... I could probably think of a bunch of others but those are the big cult/exploitation directors I can think of that don't have big retrospective blu ray sets yet. For the Waters set I'd want just the movies up to Polyester, and throw in a bunch of documentaries and his music compilation CDs.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

oneforthevine posted:

Ain’t gonna happen. The only unreleased (in North America) Tarkovsky they have the rights to is The Mirror. A box set with five of his seven features doesn’t make any sense.

I guess they don't have The Sacrifice and Nostalgia. A blu-ray of the newly scanned and restored The Mirror would be what I really want...

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

this thing is a brick

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
VinSyn, just sent out my monthy package. they're running early this month, I was going to add Alphabet City on Friday, maybe next month, or I'll wait for the sale.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

dorium posted:

this thing is a brick

For some reason I was not expecting it to be anywhere near that big

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
is that the same size as the Bergman set?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I dont have the bergman set, but this is at least the size of a hardcover novel, as thick as one too.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

dorium posted:

I dont have the bergman set, but this is at least the size of a hardcover novel, as thick as one too.

I found a picture online and it's a little smaller, the Bergman set is a beast.

e: for anyone curious:

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

ringu0 posted:

I guess they don't have The Sacrifice and Nostalgia. A blu-ray of the newly scanned and restored The Mirror would be what I really want...

The Sacrifice is available on Kino, and it looks stunning.

Also, given the small number of films he has, a boxset would be a hard sell since a lot of your audience already has his films.

Cemetry Gator fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Aug 12, 2020

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
Arrow did a limited edition run of The Game.

Front

Back

Did I mention it was actually a hardcover book?

Here's the table of contents.

Also comes with one of these cards, tucked into the book.

Oh wait never mind, here's the blu-ray, tucked into the front cover.

And the DVD tucked inside the back.

And here's a size comparison with the blu-ray of one of the greatest films ever made.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Cemetry Gator posted:

The Sacrifice is available on Kino, and it looks stunning.

Also, given the small number of films he has, a boxset would be a hard sell since a lot of your audience already has his films.

UK got this, among other interesting boxsets: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sculpting-Time-Tarkovsky-Collection-Blu-ray/dp/B074ZXQ226/

But they have to import Criterion editions from us, so that evens things out somewhat. Also people in this very thread constantly double- and triple-dip when a movie they like gets another release.

Just to clarify, I'm not complaining or trying to change anyone's mind about anything, it's just that Mirror in better quality was always my dream. I have it on DVD, and I would definitely buy a Criterion edition.

ringu0 fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Aug 13, 2020

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Good price on the Matrix Trilogy Steelbook at BBY: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/the-matrix-trilogy-steelbook-includes-digital-copy-4k-ultra-hd-blu-ray-only--best-buy/6344901.p?skuId=6344901

It’s just the UHDs and digital copies, as someone who owns the Matrix Collection on Blu-Ray, I was v happy w that option. However, the Blu-Ray’s included w the UHDs are the remastered versions I believe. The first Matrix looks absolutely gorgeous, and the next two are p good even if the story jumps off a cliff.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Boywhiz88 posted:

Good price on the Matrix Trilogy Steelbook at BBY: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/the-matrix-trilogy-steelbook-includes-digital-copy-4k-ultra-hd-blu-ray-only--best-buy/6344901.p?skuId=6344901

It’s just the UHDs and digital copies, as someone who owns the Matrix Collection on Blu-Ray, I was v happy w that option. However, the Blu-Ray’s included w the UHDs are the remastered versions I believe. The first Matrix looks absolutely gorgeous, and the next two are p good even if the story jumps off a cliff.

It still pisses me off Animatrix isn't in this, even just on blu-ray.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
did The Matrix Revisited make it over to post-DVD?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Vince MechMahon posted:

It still pisses me off Animatrix isn't in this, even just on blu-ray.

I think it may OOP. Considering how many people were involved, would there be rights issues that would need to be negotiated first?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Boywhiz88 posted:

I'm so sick of these gimmick releases. Why would anyone pay that much extra for a copy of the Matrix just because it comes with two drink coasters?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Yup. My wife and I are rewatching the 89 Batman movies, and now want to watch Beetlejuice again. Looks like our only option for 4k is the upcoming $50 release. I just can't justify spending that money, chalk or no chalk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

IUG posted:

Yup. My wife and I are rewatching the 89 Batman movies, and now want to watch Beetlejuice again. Looks like our only option for 4k is the upcoming $50 release. I just can't justify spending that money, chalk or no chalk.

There’s a normal release. There’s no chalk, so I don’t know why you’d want it.