Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

I've been running a cups/pihole setup off an ancient 4gb sd card I found and although i have it imaged on my PC, I'm worried it's going to poo poo itself at any moment. It seems like it's possible to set everything up in purely read-only mode though so that's what I'm going to try I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hmm, PXE is a thought!

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

Hmm, PXE is a thought!

It works really well, snapshotting your OS installs is also very nice to have. Especially if doing some upgrade that might go horribly wrong.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

How well does that work over WiFi if at all? On one hand I don’t have a switch handing around to do that sort of thing. On the other I shire could get stupid and go down the PoE rabbit hole.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ah yeah, I think PXE doesn’t work off wifi because the wifi stuff is too big for a bootloader. I could put just a kernel on the card and NFS-root things though, I guess.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Subjunctive posted:

Ah yeah, I think PXE doesn’t work off wifi because the wifi stuff is too big for a bootloader. I could put just a kernel on the card and NFS-root things though, I guess.

To bring up a wifi connection, you need (0) the firmware and driver for the chipset; to know (1) what country you are in, so that the radios can be set to the correct frequencies to find APs; (2) what network you're supposed to attach to; and (3) the security credentials for that network. Item 0 is also needed for a wired connection, but for wifi it's much bulkier because of everything encapsulated by and required for items 1, 2, and 3.

The only thing you need to know to bring up a wired interface for PXE boot is a netmask/subnet definition so that the interface can look for a DHCP server and get the party started.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Oh boy, time to look for networking equipment on Craigslist

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

mdxi posted:

The only thing you need to know to bring up a wired interface for PXE boot is a netmask/subnet definition so that the interface can look for a DHCP server and get the party started.

I didn’t think PXE/tftp needed a netmask either because they could get told all that by the DHCP or tftp system. But yeah, way simpler. I’ll get the initcramfs stuff sorted this week when I get some time and see how it goes on a spare pi. IIRC the 4B and 3B can boot the same kernels and such so I’m hoping it’s a straightforward swap once I have it working under test.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

Is it worth putting a USB key in for “noisy” storage, or is that just going to have the same problem with wear? I don’t know if there’s a material difference in the NAND that’s used, or if they’re manufactured to different standards if you choose the right brands. (I feel like this has been covered in this thread, but I can’t find it.)
A USB key will mosdef wear worse because absolutely noone uses good chips for them.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

I didn’t think PXE/tftp needed a netmask either because they could get told all that by the DHCP or tftp system.

You are correct; it starts by broadcasting. My bad; it's been a few years :)

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Warbird posted:

or /r/homelabsales

Warbird
May 23, 2012

That’s a level of crazy I’m not quite ready to commit to, but on the other hand the deals tho...

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

mdxi posted:

You are correct; it starts by broadcasting. My bad; it's been a few years :)

Purging boot-protocol minutiae from your memory is a virtuous choice, IMO.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Warbird posted:

Get a small Ubiquiti switch, I have an 8 port one and it does almost everything you'd want and is small and silent.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
Seems as good as place to any, let me know if I should ask somewhere else.

My friend gave me a raspberri pi he had sitting around. I bought an HDMI to DVI adapter, hooked it up to a monitor but I can't get the audio to work through the audio jack on the pi itself. Tried plugging headphones, a speaker AND the built-in speakers on the monitor to get audio but nothing works. What am I overlooking? Pic of the setup if people are interested.

e: to confirm, audio works fine when I hook it to my tv through HDMI.

Louisgod fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Aug 12, 2020

Tuxide
Mar 7, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Louisgod posted:

My friend gave me a raspberri pi he had sitting around. I bought an HDMI to DVI adapter, hooked it up to a monitor but I can't get the audio to work through the audio jack on the pi itself. Tried plugging headphones, a speaker AND the built-in speakers on the monitor to get audio but nothing works. What am I overlooking? Pic of the setup if people are interested.

I think it depends on the program, but I know with Kodi if you want audio going through the audio jack, you gotta specifically tell it to output audio through the jack itself and not through HDMI.

The audio jack itself has historically been poo poo, so your mileage may vary on actual sound quality.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Tuxide posted:

I think it depends on the program, but I know with Kodi if you want audio going through the audio jack, you gotta specifically tell it to output audio through the jack itself and not through HDMI.

The audio jack itself has historically been poo poo, so your mileage may vary on actual sound quality.

Yeah, you have to manually select the analog jack as a default audio output via options panel in every version of Linux I’ve tried. Not sure how it works with whatever ROM arcade dealie (RetroPie?) you’re using.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Yea which distro. Raspbian I guess since that sort
of comes with it. If so, then it's just like Ubuntu. Go to pulseaudio (pavucontrol), a config tab, then there would be a list and choose the analog out.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
Sweet, thanks all!

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Louisgod posted:

At least on my raspi, if the hdmi cable is connected the audio will get streamed there, DVI is video only but there are plenty of adapters that will take hdmi audio+video and provide dvi video + 3,5mm jack audio. I think that will be easier than mucking aroung with the raspi settings.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

SlowBloke posted:

At least on my raspi, if the hdmi cable is connected the audio will get streamed there, DVI is video only but there are plenty of adapters that will take hdmi audio+video and provide dvi video + 3,5mm jack audio. I think that will be easier than mucking aroung with the raspi settings.

Any suggestions? I’m not sure what type of adapter I should be looking for.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Louisgod posted:

Any suggestions? I’m not sure what type of adapter I should be looking for.

https://www.amazon.com/ConnBull-Upgraded-Multiport-Converter-Projector/dp/B07Q264Y4V

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

SlowBloke posted:

That's silly, the sound output is under software / OS control.

If you're using retropie, here are instructions.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Klyith posted:

That's silly, the sound output is under software / OS control.

If you're using retropie, here are instructions.

i mean yes, you can sort it out via software but going into the shell or using ssh is not as intuitive as just plugging in the correct adapter and not touching anything else. Never said it's impossible otherwise, just more complex.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Has anyone had much success doing Zeek (IDS) on a device in the 3B/3B+ range?

I'm bored and I have a spare 3B so it's either this or try to make a docker swarm with my other two 3B+es?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I have a pi 4 with a power supply straight from the official people. I tried to set it up with an SSD using this enclosure. It kinda acted like it was working, got past the point where it would tell me if I didn't have a new enough version to boot from USB, then showed me a wall of nonsense.

Edit: click to embiggen. Photo ended up way bigger than I intended.

I googled and found people with the same error messages, but not the same situation, and was wondering if any of y'all have any thoughts. Suggestions included problems with the power supply, but I'm not sure (or sure how to tell) if that means getting a new cord or a powered dick or what.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Aug 13, 2020

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I have a pi 4 with a power supply straight from the official people. I tried to set it up with an SSD using this enclosure. It kinda acted like it was working, got past the point where it would tell me if I didn't have a new enough version to boot from USB, then showed me a wall of nonsense.

Edit: click to embiggen. Photo ended up way bigger than I intended.

I googled and found people with the same error messages, but not the same situation, and was wondering if any of y'all have any thoughts. Suggestions included problems with the power supply, but I'm not sure (or sure how to tell) if that means getting a new cord or a powered dick or what.

Most likely you either need a powered enclosure for the drive or a powered USB hub in between.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

astral posted:

Most likely you either need a powered enclosure for the drive or a powered USB hub in between.

Oo, I hadn't thought of the USB hub.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

SlowBloke posted:

i mean yes, you can sort it out via software but going into the shell or using ssh is not as intuitive as just plugging in the correct adapter and not touching anything else. Never said it's impossible otherwise, just more complex.

It's one command vs buying a 20 dollar adapter that isn't needed in this use case.

EDIT

Seems like a decent enough deal on a Pi 4 case with heatsinks and fan, if anyone is interested.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07D3S4KBK

$6.59 with promo code "8CB3AHJW".

SD thread here.

https://slickdeals.net/f/14265998-iuniker-raspberry-pi-4-case-with-cooling-fan-4-piece-heatsink-6-59-fs-with-prime?v=1&src=frontpage

Moey fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Aug 13, 2020

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
I feel like I half-assed most of this and managed to stumble into success. A rare achievement!

While I have a lot of Linux/Debian and general hardware experience, I was expecting the worst from my poor attention to detail, ranging from originally ordering a mini instead of micro HDMI adapter, originally ordering a USB enclosure not compatible with the spare nvme drive I had, apparently loving up a new 32GB micro SD drive to only be a 32MB drive (miraculously I had a spare nearby), and so on. I was expecting this to be a hellish experience dragged out over weeks thanks to all of my other time commitments.

Yet, having never touched a pi before, with maybe only two hours worth of work hooky, today I managed to set one up an 8GB 4 with 64 bit raspbian and configure it to boot from a nvme drive in a usb enclosure.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

Cheesus posted:

apparently loving up a new 32GB micro SD drive to only be a 32MB drive (miraculously I had a spare nearby)

A most confusing statement. Was this a partitioning error? If so, you can just redo the partitioning; nothing is permanent about that.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
This apparently was permanent.

I flashed last week with the pi installer, inserted into the mb, then didn't take it out when I mounted in the case. It might have slightly bent before I remembered to remove it. With everything ready for kvm today, it wouldn't recognize and no amount of Windows explorer formatting, cmd formatting, disk partitioning would change it from being seen as a 32 MB card. It was also super hot when i ejected it.

According to googling, a stack overflow suggested that if it's seen as 32 MB instead of its actual gb size, it's totally hosed.

MikusR
Jan 5, 2008

mdxi posted:

A most confusing statement. Was this a partitioning error? If so, you can just redo the partitioning; nothing is permanent about that.

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Cheesus posted:

This apparently was permanent.

I flashed last week with the pi installer, inserted into the mb, then didn't take it out when I mounted in the case. It might have slightly bent before I remembered to remove it. With everything ready for kvm today, it wouldn't recognize and no amount of Windows explorer formatting, cmd formatting, disk partitioning would change it from being seen as a 32 MB card. It was also super hot when i ejected it.

According to googling, a stack overflow suggested that if it's seen as 32 MB instead of its actual gb size, it's totally hosed.

I did this once, but then I did this:

and it was fine.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker
Ah, thanks for the pointer!

I tried it and alas, "Formatting failed" for both format types and with/without CHS format size adjustment. Sees at as 30MB. And after a few minutes of playing with the formatter and ejecting the adapter from my laptop, it was once again super hot, nearly too hot to touch.

I can't ever recall loving up removable media so badly. I guess there's a first time for everything.

This is what led me to believe it's truly hosed, even though I don't see any major damage:
https://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/questions/61895/sd-card-showing-as-30-mb-on-a-32-gb-card-cant-format-cant-create-a-partition

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Dud card maybe?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

mdxi posted:

While it may not be the cause for this particular case, for those who may not be aware I'll expand on this by saying that Windows is absolutely moronic about removable media and assumes that it will only have one partition. If removable media has multiple partitions, Windows will ignore anything after the first one it recognizes.

Raspberry Pi SD cards and many Linux installers or bootable USB images start with a FAT32 partition that ranges from a few dozen to a few hundred megabytes, then usually fill the rest of the space with Linux partitions. If you insert one of these in to a Windows computer, it will insist that the drive is only as large as that partition and will not allow you to do anything about it.

Windows' Disk Management control panel will at least show you the layout, but still won't let you do anything about it. GParted under Linux or Disk Utility on a Mac will both easily let you reconfigure the partitions however you'd like.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

wolrah posted:

Raspberry Pi SD cards and many Linux installers or bootable USB images start with a FAT32 partition that ranges from a few dozen to a few hundred megabytes, then usually fill the rest of the space with Linux partitions. If you insert one of these in to a Windows computer, it will insist that the drive is only as large as that partition and will not allow you to do anything about it.

Windows' Disk Management control panel will at least show you the layout, but still won't let you do anything about it.

The SDcard eraser utility will wipe the card no matter how it is partitioned, so that can't be the problem in Cheesus's case.

Another thing is the card reader in some laptops may just be junk: the SD card that I got for my Pi failed multiple attempts to write images and plain format the card using my lovely but modern laptop. Using a different, much older laptop it worked fine.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker
Good idea about the card reader being bad, but it worked for the spare Kingston I had laying around.

Digging out my magnifier, there are a couple of gouges on the bad card, almost certain due to me (the pi installer worked fine last week after unpackaging, before I'd ever plugged it into the pi).

On one hand, I'm tempted to try Linux tools. I agree with wolrah that it seems to be much more robust in monkeying around than Windows.

However, the extreme heat is the smoking gun for me that it's toast. Besides, with the Kingston I was able to get to the USB/nvme boot working so I have no need for it at the moment anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Hi guys. I've got a problem and I'm wondering if a Pi is the solution.

Problem: old TV/DVD combo unit in the bedroom is just about dead

Hypothesis: Replace it with a normal tv hooked up to a Pi that has access to our media files and can be controlled in a similar fashion to a dvd player

I'm positive that a Pi can be hooked up to our home network and given access to the folder with all our media; that's obvious. What I'm curious about is how "not-a-computer" I can make this. My living room media setup is a full W10 PC, and while it's fully functional, there's no debate that it's fiddly. It's the mouse on a couch type of problem.

Here's what I'd like the Pi to do:
-Turn on (or wake up) remotely
-Control easily from a one-handed remote-like device
-Boot directly to a media program
-Play specific or shuffled media files from another PC on the network
-Have a sleep timer that can be activated by pressing a single button on the remote (every push of the button adds 30 minutes to a timer that will sleep the device on countdown)

While I have no doubt a Pi is capable of all of that, the key here is that I haven't, and won't, program. I need all of this available as sort of PnP apps. I don't mind getting my hands dirty on the setup - lord knows I've installed a crack or two - but the moment the answer is "program that feature yourself" I'm out.

What do you guys think, is this accessible to someone who doesn't want to write custom code?